Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1980 Bird/Magic PSA 10

A shade under $89,000. Wow. Top middle nic?

Comments

• markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭

I would have to see it under loop before I spend this much. Tough card. I opened a box years ago and pulled 3. Got a PSA 7,5, and 2. Bottom of all three had a factory nic. Some worse than others.

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

@markmac said:
    I would have to see it under loop before I spend this much. Tough card. I opened a box years ago and pulled 3. Got a PSA 7,5, and 2. Bottom of all three had a factory nic. Some worse than others.

Ouch what a bummer. Unopened does not = mint that's for sure.

Yes. Luckily I paid $12 for it. Many years ago!!

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

@markmac said:
    Yes. Luckily I paid $12 for it. Many years ago!!

Haha I was thinking you dropped 4-5k whew that's good.

• sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

I have been watching. Insanity. You can pick up an opened box for 5k. This box of mine
    is calling my name and might just have to open it.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.

Don't do it!!!

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

Do it!!! Lol.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭

what are the odds of a bird magic rookie in an unsearched unopened box? looks like 8 cards per pack times 36 so 288 cards per box. How many different panels/cards in the set?

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2017 2:19AM

Last month, PWCC sold another one for $75K. The one last night though, had centered perforations between the three panels, which are tough to find.

I did notice that "nick" or whatever at the top of the current card. It may have been a shadow or some other scanner/slab anomaly though, and not actually a defect on the card.

Steve

• mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

@markmac said:
    A shade under $89,000. Wow. Top middle nic?

Helpful hint: next time you start a thread like this please include a link to the card so we can see it without having to look for it :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Topps-Basketball-Larry-Bird-Magic-Johnson-ROOKIE-RC-PSA-10-GEM-MINT-PWCC-/142373677967?hash=item212621eb8f:g:CIYAAOSwBt5ZDPAk

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

I hate when sellers ask high prices for a non holo label card. The cost tk reholder is well less than 1% of the hammer price...sigh...

• flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Rip that Box!! Rip that Box!!

Well, since we are a democratic country, the votes are counted with two votes to rip by flatfoot and shagrotn and one nay by markmac. The box will be opened. :p . I think I will make it a slow summer rip over a few weeks. Wish me luck and I will post my results.

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Even I'm excited to see this!

Good Luck,
    Kevin

Kevin

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to the results.

Good luck with your rip.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck on the RIP!!

The ripping has begun

Did you hear? PSA 7, PSA 5, PSA 2!!!

Definitely a sequence in the packs with the Bird/Magic. I would suggest you write down the sequencing for future reference.

• shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

" The one last night though, had centered perforations between the three panels, which are tough to find."

this is a good call out for the perfect version of this card. I still remember going to the National in Baltimore (4 years ago?) and holding a PSA 10 in my hand and the seller pointed out the perfectly centered perforations which i've learned to see aren't always there.

The seller wanted $10K (also remembered a 76 payton 10 for $5K, montana/rice for $3.5K each, ouch) which was far out of my league at the time, but holy moly opposed to last summer's prices, this is a card I could see holding that $90K value.

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@shu4040 said:
    " The one last night though, had centered perforations between the three panels, which are tough to find."

this is a good call out for the perfect version of this card. I still remember going to the National in Baltimore (4 years ago?) and holding a PSA 10 in my hand and the seller pointed out the perfectly centered perforations which i've learned to see aren't always there.

The seller wanted $10K (also remembered a 76 payton 10 for $5K, montana/rice for $3.5K each, ouch) which was far out of my league at the time, but holy moly opposed to last summer's prices, this is a card I could see holding that $90K value.

and still a 1967 carew rookie psa 9 is 10k (smh)

• LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

@lseecon said:
    what are the odds of a bird magic rookie in an unsearched unopened box? looks like 8 cards per pack times 36 so 288 cards per box. How many different panels/cards in the set?

I have opened a couple of boxes and my experience was 2 in one and 3 in the other. All five were not 9 or 10 quality. From what I have also heard 2-3 Bird/Magic RC's is the norm in an unsearched box.

There are 176 different cards to the set.

Matt

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully I'm not in the minority in not believing for one second that those Bird/Magic PSA 10 sales were legit.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2017 10:40PM

Makes me want to send mine back in after a crackout... Nice and centered, but can I avoid the PD grade?

• ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Is the PD the snow in the background of the photos

• baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Where's the statistics expert? 2-3 per box seems right. There's 176 in the set, 288 in a box... however, half the set is double printed, including the Bird/DrJ/Magic.

• dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

89K ? Seriously?

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:
    I hate when sellers ask high prices for a non holo label card. The cost tk reholder is well less than 1% of the hammer price...sigh...

There is the inherit risk in shipping high grade cards just to be reholdered. Personally, I would wait until PSA is at a show I am attending where they could do it on the spot. Unfortunately, I live in the southeast and PSA does not attend any shows near me. :/

edited May 17, 2017 8:38PM

@ugaskidawg said:

Yes my PD is the dusting of white in the black backgrounds, whereas, most PD's on this card are black dots on the white of the card stock. It also doesn't have the lower black dash-mark on the bottom right from print traditionally found on this card to go along with the centering of each section.

I like to think I could get a straight 9 on this some day after a few tries.

• ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2017 6:41AM

@secretstash said:

@ugaskidawg said:

Yes my PD is the dusting of white in the black backgrounds, whereas, most PD's on this card are black dots on the white of the card stock. It also doesn't have the lower black dash-mark on the bottom right from print traditionally found on this card to go along with the centering of each section.

Thanks for that - couldn't tell if that was dust on the case, because I couldn't find any other marks.

I think a 9 would be very attainable. There is no way that is equivalent to a 7 because of the PD designation.

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭

what dos a psa 9 go for now?

good luck with the rip can't wait to see the results

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2017 8:09AM

@shagrotn77 said:
    Hopefully I'm not in the minority in not believing for one second that those Bird/Magic PSA 10 sales were legit.

I know a dealer who sold one to someone for 85k earlier this year and it ended up in the final persons hands at 115k. Shocking but true.

Craziest part of the story is it was a BVG 9 crack out he bought for $2,100. Biggest score he has ever had.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:
    Makes me want to send mine back in after a crackout... Nice and centered, but can I avoid the PD grade?

OMG I would have sent it in multiple times. To me that's not enough to qualify as PD.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

@lawyer05 said:

@shu4040 said:

I love Carew but he wasn't and never will be the same level of Superstar as Bird or Magic. If he had more playoff experience and legendary playoff games he would have been a lot closer.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

@Cakes said:

@lawyer05 said:

@shu4040 said:

I love Carew but he wasn't and never will be the same level of Superstar as Bird or Magic. If he had more playoff experience and legendary playoff games he would have been a lot closer.

You are correct , if he was a Yankee he would be the greatest hitter of all time.

All the Yankee players combined ever have one more batting championship than Carew
    8 Yankee Batting Championships
    7 Carew

• Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

@Cakes said:

@lawyer05 said:

@shu4040 said:

You are correct , if he was a Yankee he would be the greatest hitter of all time.

Dude could absolutely rake

I like my 8 more than a lot of borderline 9's for 3K

@lawyer05 said:

@Cakes said:

@lawyer05 said:

@shu4040 said:

No way, while not a Yankee Musial did everything Carew could do and had power,

If Musial was a Yankee he would be the greatest hitter of all time.

@Dand522612 said:

I like my 8 more than a lot of borderline 9's for 3K

nice card

@lawyer05 said:

I see what you did there....lol well played!

Dand, your card is nice but unfortunately it has the black line under Johnson.

@Cakes said:

Thanks, I do see many 9's with the black line. I don't think that is what knocked it down?? it does have one corner with a chip on the back.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dand522612 said:

@Cakes said:

Thanks, I do see many 9's with the black line. I don't think that is what knocked it down?? it does have one corner with a chip on the back.

Lower corner on the Bird?

Top right on Magic on the back, lower corner is really almost no wear

@Dand522612 said:

@Cakes said:

I am sorry I wasn't saying it couldn't grade a PSA 9 with the line I was just saying IMHO it couldn't be considered high end like the card the OP was referring to if it had the black line.

@Cakes said:

@Dand522612 said:

@Cakes said:

I am sorry I wasn't saying it couldn't grade a PSA 9 with the line I was just saying IMHO it couldn't be considered high end like the card the OP was referring to if it had the black line.

No worries, I totally agree it is a bit distracting and is not high end as a result.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

Negative. Carew was a great hitter but he is hardly the best hitter of all time no matter what uniform he wore.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    edited May 18, 2017 4:58PM

@ugaskidawg said:

@secretstash said:

@ugaskidawg said:

Thanks for that - couldn't tell if that was dust on the case, because I couldn't find any other marks.

I think a 9 would be very attainable. There is no way that is equivalent to a 7 because of the PD designation.

@Cakes said:

@secretstash said:

OMG I would have sent it in multiple times. To me that's not enough to qualify as PD.

Thank you guys. I really feel a straight 8 should be no problem and a 9 is certainly in the realm of possibility. Should I send it in with another PSA 9 PD when I find one that is really black marked and displaying PD and hope they use the two to compare to give me a straight 9? I just wanted to try once before cracking to send in as a review, but in this example there are obviously investment costs in the other 9PD. Thoughts?