Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just bought a 1974 aluminum Lincoln cent on eBay

jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assumed I'd get a plated coin. You can imagine my surprise when I took it out of the envelope and it was clearly aluminum. Weighs 1.005 grams, so definitely not copper.

Unfortunately, it's also definitely not authentic. The dies are HEAVILY polished, with massive detail loss across the board. Look especially at Lincoln's coat, which blends into the field. There is no sign of VDB initials on the truncation of the bust. None of these features match the example in the Smithsonian.

Additionally, all of the lettering has a "mushy" or "pitted" quality that is never seen on US Mint products.

I think this is a spark erosion counterfeit, where the surface of the die was polished smooth to remove the pitting in the fields. That polishing removed much of the details, and wasn't able to remove the pitting from the design elements that were recessed on the die. Once you have counterfeit dies at all, you can strike them on anything. I'm not an expert on counterfeits; maybe someone else can provide more details.

I've never seen even a counterfeit aluminum cent, so I'm happy enough with my $5 purchase for what it is.

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

That's one of the more interesting things I've ever seen. Never imagined someone would fake one of those. Did it come from China?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options

From Latvia, actually. I went into this with my eyes open. I'm not surprised or upset with what I got.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2017 6:28PM

Looks neat.

I wonder if ICG will slab it since they formally slab counterfeits and note them as such.

Looks like you got a steal at $5.00. This one from Arkansas went for $217.50:

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get ready to become "Longboard junior" if this is what you hope it is. :s

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Just the one example listed on eBay so far. That seller seems to have mostly Russian stuff (which makes sense, from Latvia). A lot of his Russian pieces have the same general 'look' as this one so I suspect they may be counterfeits also. I don't care to find out for those!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Get ready to become "Longboard junior" if this is what you hope it is. :s

Or Lawrence junior. The 1974-D aluminum cent case was resolved before the 1933 DE case.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what mercury over a 1974-D would look like.

• Options

Ah, good find Zoins. I hadn't seen that one. Might not have bid on this one if I had, but I'm still ok for $5.
    The one sold in March may have been from the same source. I see similar weakness in the coat, and the lettering also seems mushy, as much as I can tell.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool....certainly fake as you noted, but interesting nevertheless.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

A great conversation piece.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2017 4:41AM

A friend has one of those... he thinks it is real.... I told him it was not, but hard to change a person's mind when set - and he is not a coin expert, or even a collector. Not worth pushing it though, as always, these people who have these 'treasures' will only get extremely upset and angry. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

The authentic 1974 aluminum cents have tremendous strikes and are not flat like the one pictured.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

First counterfeit of it I recall seeing -
    most interesting, but not surprising
    coming from Eastern Europe.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting and cool for 5 bucks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file