Home U.S. Coin Forum

Catherine Bullowa Passed Away

FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just heard that 96 or 97 year-old Catherine Bullowa
of Phila, Pa. passed away........(Coinhunter)

She is PNG Life Member #3 - and I believe one of
the oldest longest full time coin dealers since the
mid-1950's.

For anyone who hadn't met her, she had more energy
and spunk than anyone her age had a right to have !

A wonderful women, a pillar of numismatics, and
well-known and well-liked and very respected.

Her smile, attitude, and humor will be missed.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Comments

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2017 1:51AM

She was quite a women and set up at the annual Hawaii State Numismatic Show for decades, she will be missed by all

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Deepest Sympathies.

She sounds like she was a wonderful woman.

RIP and prayers to her family and friends.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2017 8:50AM

My condolences.

"Who's gonna fill their shoes...who's gonna stand that tall..."

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/georgejones/whosgonnafilltheirshoes.html

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet woman. She had a long, rich life that is worth celebrating. RIP

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2017 8:59AM

Yes, Catherine was quite a lady! I was able to spend some time with her at the ANA when it was held in Philadelphia in 2012. It was at that show when I acquired this peculiar piece from her holdings:

She will be sorely missed!

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last remaining link to a different era of coin dealers.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

:'(

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roger - great point.

The last of the coin dealers from that time
    period - Kosoff, Ruddy, Art Kagin, Leo Young
    Lester Merkin, Dan Brown Audbrey Bebee and others.

(I know I missing some names, obviously )

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know of her, but glad to offer condolences in support of those who did.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:
    Yes, Catherine was quite a lady! I was able to spend some time with her at the ANA when it was held in Philadelphia in 2012. It was at that show when I acquired this peculiar piece from her holdings:

I don't know what the heck this thing is but I like it ALOT. Is the writing engraved or printed in ink (can't quite tell on my monitor).

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our Tree of Life constantly sheds its' leafs.........leaving those still attached to mourn the fallen.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

She seemed to be everywhere and was always pleasant when we met up. Sympathy and condolences to her family and loved ones.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never met her, but what a great run she had!

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Catherine was a great person. I remember the first time I met her years ago. After I introduced myself she said: "Mike, I want a coke, go find one for me." She will be missed, she was one of a kind!

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2017 12:33PM

She was a lovely woman and I amways enjoyed chatting with her at various shows. Many fun memories and my love and best wishes to Catherine granddaughter who also would accompany her at shows.

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Admittedly, I did not know her. I remember seeing her at many shows and conventions. In my mind, she will be remembered for the gem quality type coins that her firm auctioned in 2005. I have been told that some or all of those attention-grabbing type coins were part of her own personal collection.

The finest known 1795 Flowing Hair dollar comes to mind, the Bullowa-Pogue coin, which is now in the type set assembled by a member of this forum, PRC.

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

sorry to hear that. my condolences to all those involved.

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Sad news. A great numismatist.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to her family. I last saw her at Balt./Whit.
    Always willing to share her knowledge.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    Roger - great point.

The last of the coin dealers from that time
    period - Kosoff, Ruddy, Art Kagin, Leo Young
    Lester Merkin, Dan Brown Audbrey Bebee and others.

(I know I missing some names, obviously )

A very nice lady, even when I was just a kid working for Coin WOrld.

Paul Kagin is still alive, but not active in the business.
    Eric Newman sold a few coins back in the day, but I never really thought of him as a dealer.
    I guess Harvey Stack is the new senior dealer, followed by Dave Bowers?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2017 3:27PM

I'll miss Catherine. She was one of my few heroes, mostly because she loved the business too much to ever quit, no matter how difficult it was to get around and stay in the game.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Catherine will be missed. Great lady. RIP.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2ZjAftrFaQ
    A look back...............

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I didn't know her...From what I am reading here I wish I had! It is wonderful she was able to seemingly enjoy her life to the fullest! I hope I am able to enjoy my life in coins as long as she did!

Rest in Peace and know many who didn't know you have Great Respect for you!

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@cardinal said:

I don't know what the heck this thing is but I like it ALOT. Is the writing engraved or printed in ink (can't quite tell on my monitor).

While the piece was not encapsulated by PCGS, Phil did a great job imaging it here in high resolution:

The writing is engraved into the surface of the metal.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad... She was always fun at shows

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• LRCTomLRCTom Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

I used to seek her out at the big shows in the 80s, when I was first getting started as a dealer. I knew she would have nice coins, problem-free, and very fairly priced. We did a bunch of business. As straightforward a person as I've seen in this business. RIP.

LRC Numismatics eBay listings:
    http://stores.ebay.com/lrcnumismatics

• Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

RIP Catherine. I remember her patience and sound advice. ...Travel down to 16th and Walnut Streets in Philadelphia and hop in the ancient elevator and ring the bell to get into the shop. She helped anyone and everyone.

This is a sad day for our hobby.

Craig

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never met her, wished I had.
    She is precious in the video.
    My condolences.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the video GoldBully.

She seems like a real nice lady.

PNG member #3 is pretty impressive.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest in peace, Catherine.

• WHPRATTWHPRATT Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Never had the opportunity of meeting her, but I do have a coin from her personal collection.

My condolences to her family.

• MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully Thanks for the video. It was interesting to watch.

Mark

• I did not know her myself, but she seems like a very nice lady and an asset to the hobby, and my condolences to those who knew her. The video of her story is inspiring--thanks for posting it.

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

God bless her.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I met her at a Baltimore show where she was in the audience at a seminar on Chinese fakes and I think she was 86 at he time and still looking to learn more!

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

comrade GB, thanks for the vid. Good stuff in there.

• CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

Sorry to have missed out on meeting her. She sounds wonderful. My condolences.
    Cyndie

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2017 6:54PM

Joy Moore, Catherine Bullowa Moore's niece, is the classy redhead who pushed her around these last few years at Baltimore and helped behind her table. I got to meet a few family members, especially remembering a sharp-as-a-whip granddaughter Shari, who works at the Holocaust Museum in DC. The couple of times I saw them together, the glow between them half-choked me up.

At most Baltimore shows, I'd hit her table after she'd had some fun with the public, have her take off her neck brace and give her a neck and shoulder massage. Bearing in mind how frail she was, it was the lightest of pressures, but there was the same kind of energy flow I get with Laurie, and she came in the next morning perky until lunch. Her energy was usually lower the second afternoon, but damn it was fun to see a 95 year old "crusty old broad" outworking mustard-stained men 30 years her junior. I even hooked her up with a Reiki therapist 5 miles from her door.

A lot of people are gonna be messed up over this. There are really no words......

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

GB,

Your post of the video of Catherine Bulolwa is special to all of that never knew her........but wish we had. I am reminded of the other great dealers I am missing when I do not attend great shows. My coin life should not be an island.

OINK

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad. My condolences to her family and friends. RickO

• BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

In 1974 first coin I ever had a dealer search for was a 1911 $20 that my room mate wanted to give his father as a "thank you" for having put him thru dental school. 1911 was his birth year.

She didn't have a shop with coins on display but just several rooms and looked more a law office than a coin shop.
    She called several weeks later and friend was quite happy.

BTW when he gave it to his father he said, nice, thank you, and I'll put it with my others. friend had no idea father owned any coins.

On several occasions after the sale of her 1795 dollar she maintained that there were others that existed that were as nice.. She was in her 90's and relying on memory and may have remembered coins being nicer than they were.
    But, she was sharp and with her history and qualifications who am I to have doubted her.

• KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is refreshing to read and be reminded of someone who commanded the respect of the giants, after they're gone.
    Yet, it's still sad to lose anyone in this field.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool video goldbully. :)

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walter Breen "he was a little eccentric too" - :)

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file