Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Check out the stamp forum - $1,000,000+ stolen Inverted Jenny and Colonel Edward H.R. Green

hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought I would try and get a few people to visit the stamp forum. $1,000,000+ stamp with a cool history that includes Colonel Edward H.R. Green coming up for auction this week! I didn't realize rare stamps had a pulse much less a $1,000,000+ pulse.

Check out the cool auction catalog with a great history of the Inverted Jenny and the mystery surrounding the theft and recovery of 3 of the 4 rare stamps in the link on the stamp forum.

Comments

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2017 5:42PM

I can't believe it either

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't they all carry the Col Green pedigree?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe stamps still have a small segment of interest... and I am sure someone will buy the Inverted Jenny if only as an investment. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Didn't they all carry the Col Green pedigree?

Yep, and so did all the 1913 V Nickels.

I read the entire one lot auction catalog that was linked by hchcoin on the stamp forum. It was better than most TV mysteries, probably most TV shows.

Here is a link to the stamp forum post where hchcoin linked to the catalog (I won't link the auction directly as just a few people going to stamp forum to look it up will impressively multiply its activity geometrically)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/980687/position-76-missing-inverted-jenny-on-sale-may-11-2017#latest

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great read. Thanks for the info. I still think there are some stamps that are mini works of art/history. And in many cases the price is right.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Updated the post on the stamp forum with the auction result. Guess the $1,000,000+ estimate was a little generous :o

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about saying the result here for those of us who care enough to open this thread?

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2017 7:44PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    How about saying the result here for those of us who care enough to open this thread?

Realized $250,000.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like somebody got a great deal.
    The inverted Jenny is like the 1955 doubled die, even non hobbyists generally know of its existence and think it's cool.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

previously hinged, genuine, thin, reperforated at top, also reperforated at left to remove guide line.

A sound example sold for $132,250 in 2015.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2017 1:31PM

A very nice specimen sold at the World Stamp Show 2016, which was held at the Javits Convention Center in NYC. It was a great day (we were there on Saturday, after the auction) to be out and about in Manhattan. Got a picture of me with that stamp too. Almost bought a Penny Black that day. All in, it topped $1.35M.

article

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the article:

The stamp is considered the finest graded example, having received a grade of extra fine-superb 95 from Professional Stamp Experts.

The price represented a record result not only for the 24¢ misprint, listed as Scott C3a, but for any United States stamp, surpassing the previous record set by an Inverted Jenny, in 2007, by nearly 50 percent.

The last auction result for this particular example, position 58 from the original sheet, was $577,500, realized in 2005. All of these sales were also called by Trepel.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

@EVillageProwler said:
    A very nice specimen sold at the World Stamp Show 2016, which was held at the Javits Convention Center in NYC. It was a great day (we were there on Saturday, after the auction) to be out and about in Manhattan. Got a picture of me with that stamp too. Almost bought a Penny Black that day. All in, it topped $1.35M.

article

Thanks for that link. Very cool! My favorite line:

As the applause died down, Trepel allowed himself a broad grin. “I’m delighted,” he said.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe ex Pimco co-chair and bond king Bill Gross is a major stamp collector

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

It was Colonel Green in the Library with the Lead Pipe

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

Stamp collecting gone the way of ice boxes horse carriage travel ,and DC3 planes
    No one in coin club even knows anyone else collecting stamps ,nor any of their kids , family's kids,,friends other small kids .... or any elderly relative leaving a stamp collection to heirs

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bestday said:
    Stamp collecting gone the way of ice boxes horse carriage travel ,and DC3 planes
    No one in coin club even knows anyone else collecting stamps ,nor any of their kids , family's kids,,friends other small kids .... or any elderly relative leaving a stamp collection to heirs

My cousin actually (to this day) still collects stamps.
    IIRC, he likes "match & medicine".
    I "think" they are revenue stamps, like the ones that use to be on liquor bottles and prescription medicine?

My cousin and his dad (Uncle Walter) got me into coin collecting, my favorite relatives.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought one of these stamps from a collector in China. Evidently he didn't know the value as I only paid thirty nine hundred bucks ! :)

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hchcoin said:
    Updated the post on the stamp forum with the auction result. Guess the $1,000,000+ estimate was a little generous :o

The final price realized was $295,000 with the 18 % buyers fee on a $250,000 hammer bid according to this article.

linns.com/news/us-stamps-postal-history/2017/may/sold-aprl-recovered-jenny-invert.html

This seemed to be a fairly strong price based on the $150,000 to $200,000 estimated by the owner, the American Philatelic Research Library, as mentioned in the article. The auction listing looked like it gave just the catalog value for an undamaged stamp of $450,000 rather than an actual estimate for this one which had been altered to try and hide its identity as noted by EagleEye above.

The $1,000,000+ estimate looks like it was promoted by press articles rather than the auctioneer or the owner. That must have been based on the finest example that auctioned at over $1 million.

I'm not much into stamps, though I kind of liked the one below which brought only $164,500 in 2015 at Stack's. It was the one given by famous coin collector Colonel Edward H. R. Green to his wife in a locket.

Lot listing with much info here:

old.stacksbowers.com/BrowseAuctions/LotDetail/tabid/227/AuctionID/6109/Lot/1/Default.aspx

Found an interesting site just for the Inverted Jenny with historical and sales information for each position in the original sheet. Sort of like a Coinfacts for just these stamps.

https://invertedjenny.com/salerecords

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

These stamps will always appreciate over the long haul. One sheet got out in 1918 and the buyer got $25K for it. Good thing he sol it as the Feds came looking for him as the post office remembered the guy that bought the sheet. He told them he had sold the stamps to several dealers and recovering them was not possible.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file