Home U.S. Coin Forum

Newp Tough Date Monster

AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got around to finally imaging this one... And came up with what we believe is a fitting name... "The Web" :)
AB

Comments

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool looking.
    How does this toning occur naturally? Wrinkles in tissue paper? lol I want one.

• AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to me that it was a paper end roll coin with a rubber band or bands wrapped a few times around the ends... In hand it looks to have 3 or 4 knots from the bands that may have been pressing the paper tighter at those points... AB

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting name Wayne.... once again you have found a coin that fits your collection very well... I wonder, if in the future, you decide to sell your collection.... What would be the title of such an auction "The Morgan Rainbow".... "A Torrent of Technicolor".... Just a few suggestions.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting pattern. Lovely though. B)

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice one AB! And good thing it's not AT or you'd have to call it "The Web of Lies" :joy:

The more you VAM..
  • ArtRArtR Posts: 474 ✭✭✭

Very Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If It doesn't have great eye appeal, I don't want it.
  • PandavabPandavab Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

Definitely another beauty! I remember seeing that one for sale. I still have non-buyer's remorse. :'(;)

Oh, and I like the name!

• WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it! Congrats!!

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it would be one of my favorites, congrats.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • AblinkyAblinky Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

That's awesome!

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always insanely nice coins here! :love:

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color pattern of absolutely amazing. Not sure that I've ever seen anything quite like that. Very unique and very attractive . I love it! Great score my coin brother!!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup I like this one !!!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet! Nice looking coin and graded correctly (in my view) also!

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

I love the name, it fits

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2017 11:50AM

@AuroraBorealis said:
    Got around to finally imaging this one... And came up with what we believe is a fitting name... "The Web" :)
    AB

I just had to come back for a second look.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bid on that....i really wanted it too....!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it was on the BBQ grill a little too long (expanded metal)

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might suggest another name, if I may push the envelope a bit: "Spectral Bondage"

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty well struck. Upgraded to MS 65 for color in my opinion.

Very unusual color pattern. No idea what conditions would create that.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.

I agree for an O mint "pretty well struck"... I disagree with the sneeking in at MS65 due to the color however... I actually think it is very clean for a 5.... And see 3rd post down from the top as to what I believe is plausible for the toning.... AB

• Shrub68Shrub68 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Very nice Wayne!

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Very very nice.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭✭

That's one of the coolest looking toned Morgans I've ever seen. I can only imagine what that would bring in a Legend auction. As crazy as it sounds, I wonder if being a gem 1882-O would actually hurt rather than help the price.

Nice coin. Congratulations!

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

A solid 65 regardless of toning. This date/mm hard to come by in high grade.

Many happy BST transactions
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very unique and beautiful. Reminds me of a crystal formation.

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

edited April 7, 2017 10:18PM

@nencoin said:
    That's one of the coolest looking toned Morgans I've ever seen. I can only imagine what that would bring in a Legend auction. As crazy as it sounds, I wonder if being a gem 1882-O would actually hurt rather than help the price.

Thank you very much nencoin... I don`t follow what you mean as to why a tougher date toned nice may hurt the value though?

• nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭✭

@AuroraBorealis said:

@nencoin said:

Thank you very much nencoin... I don`t follow what you mean as to why a tougher date toned nice may hurt the value though?

PM sent, Aurora.

@nencoin said:

In my opinion selling a tougher date will not hurt the price at all. A few years ago I sold a 1881-O in MS-65 to Sunnywood for what most would consider an obscene amount of money. He sold his whole set to Simpson so we can not tell if he was buried in the coin or not as Simpson bought his complete collection of toned monsters. In this set were several of my coins from the "toneddollars collection "
    When Simpson sold his collection in a Legend auction all my former coins sold for amounts greater than I sold them to Sunnywood for. The 1881-O which is a tougher date in 65 than the 82-O sold for over $12,000
    So, I think a monster is a monster and will bring monster prices. That has been my experience from selling my tough date coins and I'm sure will be the case when AB sells his babies.

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were mine, I woulda named it "Cosmos". Looks like another celestial galaxy.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• ronctxronctx Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

• My guess is this gem came from the famous Binion Hoard which contained a number of incredible toned dollars all created in a unique storage environment

That is not a Binion hoard coin

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2017 9:04PM

@binionhoard said:
    My guess is this gem came from the famous Binion Hoard which contained a number of incredible toned dollars all created in a unique storage environment

My guess is that.....oh well, forget it.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2017 10:18AM

Beauuutiful coin, dude! I like the name also, "The Web". You know, maybe if requested to PCGS, they might of placed that name on the slab? They did for my, "Dad's Dollar"! In which is my avatar. When I sent mine in, I requested for our Host to kindly title the coin, "Dad's Dollar". As you can see they accommodated. Once again, nice Morgan Dollar. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2017 10:26AM

@binionhoard said:
    My guess is this gem came from the famous Binion Hoard which contained a number of incredible toned dollars all created in a unique storage environment

Coincidence or?

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2017 10:48AM

@ronctx said:

I'm a movie and T.V. buff. The gentleman in the front row with the glasses and black hair, is that " Mr. Drucker" from Green Acres? :D Mr. Drucker, was played by, Frank Cady.
    No, who I meant was Charles Lane from "It's a wonderful life".

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • The 1882 O Morgan pictured above did come from the Binion Hoard that was distributed in 2002, and described at that time by NGC President Mark Salzberg as " The Greatest Collection of Silver Dollars NGC had ever graded"

@binionhoard said:
    The 1882 O Morgan pictured above did come from the Binion Hoard that was distributed in 2002, and described at that time by NGC President Mark Salzberg as " The Greatest Collection of Silver Dollars NGC had ever graded"

Would you have a pic or link of it from back then in that holder? AB

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AuroraBorealis said:

@binionhoard said:
    The 1882 O Morgan pictured above did come from the Binion Hoard that was distributed in 2002, and described at that time by NGC President Mark Salzberg as " The Greatest Collection of Silver Dollars NGC had ever graded"

Would you have a pic or link of it from back then in that holder? AB

If true I wonder why the guy that crossed it didn't choose to keep the provenance. Binion would have added a premium even on top of the color.

The more you VAM..
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Great color on this coin! Congrats @AuroraBorealis !

Somehow I missed it the first time around.

I just found it while looking for Binion Hoard coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file