Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you carry a small number of slabs around the bourse?

sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like 6 or 12 or even 20 slabs.
Something that would easily fit in a small backpack.
Don't want to use a blue box because of all the rattling.

I went to a small show last weekend and brought 6 slabs.
I used like four different pockets and it was awkward.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you trying to keep them hidden ?

I guess it depends on the time of year, it is much easier to conceal items with bulky clothing.
    Sometimes the best concealment is just 'acting like you know what you are doing', not being nervous and being aware of your surroundings.

I carry a laptop bag and have never had a problem.

Are you worried about scratching the slabs ?
    I have found if you stack them and use a good rubber band, they don't move much. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would just deal with the rattling and use a box. There are other types of boxes other than the blue PCGS box, like on of the cardboard boxes you can buy. Put some foam or bubble wrap in the open space.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep them in the blue box myself, never seem to hear the rattling. You can always put a little piece of bubble wrap or similar in the bottom of the box before you put the coins in, and then thick rubber band the box tight.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can put clear tape across the tops of the slabs in the box and they won't rattle, if that is an issue.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a shoulder tote bag similar to this. It works great but I sling it over the neck and under an arm instead of on one shoulder. Very secure.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    FishproFishpro Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

When I travel with the boxes in my back pack I put a small line of paper towel on the top of the slabs and then the lid, stops all the rattling . I also add a rubber band To each box.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can buy a single or double-row box that is made to fit slabs and has no interior notches to keep them apart. These are the type of boxes you see in auction lot viewing at Heritage or SB, etc... and they can be purchased to hold as few as about a half-dozen coins in a single row to as many as 60-coins or so in a double-row. They are available in at least solid black and solid red and are made of heavyweight cardboard. Supply vendors at all the larger shows carry large stocks of these and they only cost a few dollars. If you get a box that has a little more room then you need you may simply place a spacer (piece of foam, crumpled up paper, folded bubblewrap, whatever) in there and the coins will fit snuggly without rattling.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Just the kind of ideas I was looking for, thanks.
    I've never seen those heavyweight cardboard boxes.
    I'll keep my eyes open if I ever get to a larger show.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Security is important, depends on what you have.
    You never know who might be lurking around coin slows, lol. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7vqmqvCQc6Q/U1oSTCZwvvI/AAAAAAAAO2k/jOl-fHAkZyE/s1600/Death-Wish-II-gang.png

• Options

Nice, are those patent # 1531451 cuffs :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I was using a backpack I'd just rubber band stacks of 4 or so

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Nice, are those patent # 1531451 cuffs :smile:

I am not an expert but those handcuffs look kind of light duty...haven't see any Peerless or S&W that look like those...

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    You never know who might be lurking around coin slows, lol. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7vqmqvCQc6Q/U1oSTCZwvvI/AAAAAAAAO2k/jOl-fHAkZyE/s1600/Death-Wish-II-gang.png

You must not have seen the movie Hannibal? The cuffs didn't help.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

@jonruns
    I do believe that your observations are correct :smile:

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

.....and.....some manufacturer stickers/emblems/patches decorating satchel and your outerwear - such as S & W, "Pepper Spray, not just for Grizzlies", 44 Magnum, etc, etc.........

@logger7 said:

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2017 5:41AM

@acloco said:
    .....and.....some manufacturer stickers/emblems/patches decorating satchel and your outerwear - such as S & W, "Pepper Spray, not just for Grizzlies", 44 Magnum, etc, etc.........

@logger7 said:

It wouldn't hurt if they knew you carried too.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use an NGC box in an old leather laptop case.

And I do have a concealed carry permit and always carry to shows.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like my green box. I think it shows your not a noob. Put a layer of packing foam or something in if the rattle bothers you, should be easy to solve that one.

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Six or less I just carry in my pockets. If more I use an NGC box, that was until PCGS pissed me off by changing their slabs so they no longer fit. :(

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:
    I just dump the slabs into a McDonalds take out bag. I don't even bother removing the large fries

That works well as long as you don't leave any of those ketchup packets in the bag. Those can split open quite easily. :wink:

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cargo Pants!

I may not be fashionable....but my life needs more pockets. ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kinda surprised that a "fanny pack" has not been mentioned.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

@Cacoinguy said:

@CascadeChris said:
    I use a shoulder tote bag similar to this. It works great but I sling it over the neck and under an arm instead of on one shoulder. Very secure.

Im sorry , thats not a shoulder tote bag where I come from. We call that a purse :)

I was going to say in my area they call that a murse (man purse) but figured I'd keep my mouth shut lol

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't like the rattling stop in your local hobby store and purchase baseball card team set sleeves. They have a exposable seal at the top. Just insert your slab into "the condom" peal off the adhesive cover and seal your slab in the protective cover. They will open and reseal a number of times and the excess space in the sleeve takes up room in the slab box so there is no rattling. After they become worn simply replace as a hundred will cost you only about $3-$5. They also keep your slabs from getting scratched.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wear a hunting vest with slab-size pockets instead of cartridge holders. Put the pockets on the inside, unless you are a fast draw coin collector.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photographer's vest has multiple pockets.... easily carry 15-20 slabs. And it leaves your gun hand free to draw if necessary. No trained security agent would ever handcuff himself to a brief case ... that is for movies and fools. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Cacoinguy said:

@CascadeChris said:

Im sorry , thats not a shoulder tote bag where I come from. We call that a purse :)

@Cacoinguy said:

@CascadeChris said:

It's a murse dammit! Lol. Actually believe it or not it's a multi-purpose pistol carrying case.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a regular blue box inside whatever bag or backpack I'm toting around. To avoid the rattling issue, I tape a thin sheet of Styrofoam or bubble wrap to the inside of the lid. I then use a couple pieces of packing tape to keep the lid tightly in place. It's simple to peel back and reapply the tape to fish out something to sell or to add a NewP. You get about 30 open & close cycles before the tape no longer sticks.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Fannypack works for me. Holds pistol in one compartment as a bonus.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

just use the blue box in a shoulder bag.

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

I have an over the shoulder leather brief case, soft sided... will hold many slabs and if I have just a few, I use a leather vest for easy access

Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2019 9:51AM

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never worry about carrying slabs in the bourse - it's outside the bourse that makes me nervous.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

I saw a commercial for those SCOTTeVESTS on tv and looked them up.
    They have all kinds of pockets
    Dang expensive though.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just hand them all to my super stealth selling team and pick them up after the show.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Swallow them, and recover them later.

(Thinkin' outside the box!) :smiley:

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2017 9:10PM

@GotTheBug said:
    I am purchasing a travel vest with mucho pockets made by Ex Officio for this very purpose. I hate having my hands full when walking around the bourse and I'm not fond of carrying a backpack either.

I carry my slabs individually bagged so that they don't scratch each other up. The vest has a whole bunch of different pockets for phones, wallet, small tablets, etc., plus a nice zippered pocket in the back, which I plan to use to store purchases once made. It requires taking the vest off to access the pocket in the back but it's a small price to pay for hands-free security.

A Scotty vest for coin shows. Never thought of that! That's brilliant actually and I see a while new era of "Scotty vest pocket dealers" dealers on the horizon

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a Wife? Bring here with and make her carry everything.

Later, Paul.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file