Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do You Tell Her?

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 23, 2017 9:09AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Wife. Your online purchases. $$$$ on a coin. Do You keep quiet? Do You say " Hey Honey I know you want a New kitchen countertop....but I just spent $3700 on a grubby old copper coin while I was sitting on the toilet!" ••••• Are You Brave? ....or are you a "quiet coward"?

Comments

• Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't tell her much and she has very little interest. She sees some of the packages come in but not most. I spend only my money and only what I can afford. I also don't comment on anything she wants to buy.

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my coin purchases come from overtime money. She knows I buy them, she knows what I pay for some of them. She isnt interested in them much unless they have color!
    I would never try to hide a purchase, I too would never be with someone I had to hide stuff from.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honesty makes a marriage work

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

If you have to hide anything your marriage is in trouble.
    Period.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't announce it but I don't hide it either.

My wife builds websites for coin dealers so she's pretty aware of how much I spend on coins. As long as we're financially healthy, bills are paid, and she isn't denied something she wants, all is good.
    Lance.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would prioritize. Kitchen first and start saving for the coins. No need to BS the wife.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love sharing my excitement with my wife. Her father collects stamps, so there is common ground. I show my wife pictures of coins that I just acquired, or are considering acquiring. But, I never tell her the prices. If prices are ever raised, I'll just say "expensive" or "cheap" but never an actual number.

We also have an agreement that, for now at least, I should generate coin funds by selling coins. And, she wants to restructure our finances to generate cash flow for more vacation money, her shoes and clothing, and my coins.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

i tell my wife when i buy coins she has no issue with it

• Options

@Sandman70gt said:
    Most of my coin purchases come from overtime money. She knows I buy them, she knows what I pay for some of them. She isnt interested in them much unless they have color!
    I would never try to hide a purchase, I too would never be with someone I had to hide stuff from.

That's exactly how my girlfriend is. I bring her to coin shows and let her go. If there's 1 coin out of 10,000 mixed inside of 50 coin binders, she'll find the one with color on it! Plus, it keeps her busy and most dealers don't add a premium for toning around here, so I'll pick it up and give it to her as a consolation for having to deal with my brief periods of time where money is tight when waiting on PCGS to grade my coins! I can tell she likes it sometimes, though, but the subject can be touchy. She can love it one day, and hate it the next. She's something else, I'll tell ya, but I love her to death.

On the note of telling her how much I spend? Why should I have to hide it? If she wasn't interested in coins, at least mildly as she is, I wouldn't really put up with that for too long. My brother has a fiancée that likes the history behind things like coins and we all go metal detecting together. I think it's just a matter of finding the right person, to be honest. If you don't have common interests, especially when it's something as major as (possibly) dumping a month's pay or more on a single coin, how can you put up with that for the rest of your life? At least that's my opinion.

When we go to shows, we know what we're looking for. She's looking for color for me, and I'm looking for the cream of the crop to cherry pick. We work cooperatively, as a team, just as it should be.

Bottom line- If you can't tell her what you buy...ouch.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have my hobbies, she has hers. And neither of us use money we need, want, or agreed to use on something else. So I feel I have the freedom to make purchases without her input, (and vice versa).

I have warned her once or twice that I might make a larger than usual purchase, but ended up not doing it. (I'm a wimpy bidder). ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had a wife, I would tell her on one condition. Keep yer yap shut about it in public. Word travels like lightning in female circles.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

I showed her what I typed, and she even had a little bit to say! LOL.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

The concept that I could possibly be clever enough to keep things hidden from my wife is worth a chuckle.

She has an approximate idea of what I spend but doesn't want to know specifics. She is well aware of me occasionally spending over $1000 on a coin. She doesn't agree, of course, but now that she's met a few of my coin friends, she has a better understanding of the sickness.

• Options
    Vbowling299Vbowling299 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

I show my girlfriend the cool stuff I get but she always tells me she doesn't want to know how much I spend lol she says as long as I have fun, and we don't need the money, I collect, buy, and sell as I please!

Also, she has gotten to the point where she looks at the new stuff and says I bet you're keeping that one for yourself!!

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned the secret long ago. DO NOT question her and you just might get the same in return.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nap said:
    .... but now ... she has a better understanding of the sickness.

This, after 25+ years of marriage. :)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    I don't tell her about everything I buy, but I'll show her some I think she'll find cool. As for what I spend, I don't volunteer the information, but we trust each other when it comes to spending money and she's not stupid.

@TommyType said:
    I have my hobbies, she has hers. And neither of us use money we need, want, or agreed to use on something else. So I feel I have the freedom to make purchases without her input, (and vice versa).

>

Well, swap the her/she for him/he these two quotes pretty much cover it. We have savings, retirements, kiddos taken care of. I buy stuff I like, he buys stuff he likes (bicycles and cannons of all things).

If it's a bigger chunk it's only because I worked an extra shift or sold something good. I don't bore him with what I get (as it's generally boring to him...but not always) and I don't discuss every cent spent. But, nothing is hidden and nothing is secretive.

And, it goes both ways, because I am very UNinterested in the specs on his road bike!

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    What my wife don't know can't hurt me.

Til she tells her lawyer. :o

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

I don't hide anything, it is out there in the open. It is a 2 way street. I am always asking her what she wants of would like.

Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

After I told showed my wife a state quarter that I paid nearly 5 figures for, she said that she'd rather not know. She thinks I'm crazy for paying that much for something she'd spend at a gumball machine.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nap said:

She has an approximate idea of what I spend but doesn't want to know specifics. She is well aware of me occasionally spending over $1000 on a coin. She doesn't agree, of course, but now that she's met a few of my coin friends, she has a better understanding of the sickness.

If $1K is a true benchmark, then under no circumstances should our wives ever meet.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I am a kid, and as such do not have a wife :) I also do not have enough money for my parents to freak out. But to answer your question, yes I do tell them.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife isn't into coins but I do share my purchases with her(trying to get her interested too). She likes my geekiness and knows I try to stay responsible.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife realizes how lucky she is to be married to someone who buys things that actually maintain their value or may even increase in value over time (and for that reason, I'm lucky to be married to her!). She's seen this happen enough over the years that she's totally on-board with me spending the money as long as we can afford the purchase.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our spending priorities aren't 100% aligned, but we're open about everything financial and do the bills, taxes, etc together.

Besides, coin collecting is #2 on the list of my hobbies that she doesn't like.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:
    My wife realizes how lucky she is to be married to someone who buys things that actually maintain their value or may even increase in value over time (and for that reason, I'm lucky to be married to her!). She's seen this happen enough over the years that she's totally on-board with me spending the money as long as we can afford the purchase.

See, that's what I keep telling my husband. I'm not blowing all that money on shoes, clothes or purses!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hide nothing from my wife. But I don't announce it either when I purchase a coin. She knows what's up with my collecting but she has no interest until I sell something then my coins are wonderful :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2017 1:37PM

@topstuf said:

@PerryHall said:
    What my wife don't know can't hurt me.

Til she tells her lawyer. :o

That's what prenups are for. My last gf was a divorce queen. She divorced her hubby of many years, before she and I met, and her parents are divorced. She often bragged about how her mom had a better lawyer and really f'ed her dad.......and not in a good way. ;) These were HUGE red flags to me!

She acted like she worshipped and adored me.....and I'm sure that she DID, at the time. She was very insecure and jealous and wanted me around ALL the time. I loved her very much and did everything that I could to make it work. We planned on buying a house together and I thought for sure that she was 'The One'. I took her to a couple of coins shows and showed her some of my coins but we never really discussed dollar amounts. But she was not stupid and I'm sure that she knew they were quite valuable.

Well, she left me about a year ago without any warning and with no explanation. Amazing to me that, even though I know that I made some mistakes, she didn't even want to attempt a reconciliation, despite being so devoted to me. I am with a new girl, now----I've never had trouble finding a woman BUT I'll likely never get married, as I simply DON'T trust anyone, especially women. My 2 cents...... take it or leave it.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

I don't hide anything but she can get tired of hearing about it!

Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do I tell her.... haha my wife will spend more on coins (especially toners) then I will and please don't show her a stack of fractional currency

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MACGE1 said:
    After I told showed my wife a state quarter that I paid nearly 5 figures for, she said that she'd rather not know. She thinks I'm crazy for paying that much for something she'd spend at a gumball machine.

She's not alone. :smile:

• Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

actual quote from her;
    "You paid HOW MUCH for a penny? A PENNY?! You're nuts!"
    That's an actual quote.
    Now I think she likes it but at first...it was a little dicey :p

Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that I'm divorced who cares!

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's quite the sad story above. Here is something to cheer you up!!

-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8OjoUA0b7g

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

She already knows, and is not particularly interested in coins. One time, she gasped when she learned that I just paid $7K 'for a penny'. I shrugged and noted that the cost to board her dressage horses for two months was about that. No more complaints...I just have to figure out a way to bring my numismatic library back into the house (it's mostly in storage). So far, I'm not winning. :/

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

While I suspect the thread contains some tongue and cheek comments, my wife and I share everything. She tolerates my collection, but knows the cost. Whats the point of keeping her in the dark... if I pass first she needs to know what we have and how to dispense.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    UMCaneUMCane Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Odd question.. My wife is very supportive and encourages me never to settle for a lower grade. Not only is this a Hobby, coins are also another portfolio asset class.

Been married 39 years, secrets...never ever occurred to me.

"Just because you were born on 3rd base doesn't mean you hit a triple"

• Options

I had to be lucky at something!

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I don't do anything in secret. Over the years I've demonstrated I can generally recoup what I spend or do a little better than that, so she's pretty tolerant. When I want to buy anything stupid (i.e. a boat) I raid the coin collection for funds.

mirabela
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have learned that if I am on a coin board, and my wife has something else in mind, to LOG OFF STAT.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2017 7:03PM

A wife, stripper GF / OTC girl, or sugar baby does not care about coins unless you have some shopping money you made from it to give her. Their interest is that you will pay your negotiated share of joint expenses (if married or living together) or the monthly contribution per the sugar dating arrangement. Its all about how much money they are going to get out of you.

With wife as long as I make monthly contribution for my share of negotiated joint expenses no questions are asked and I don't not discuss individual business transactions. I expect to operate my coin business without questions or harassment. She understands I operate my coin business to make money, that my coins are inventory I expect to flip at a gain. At tax time the gain or loss is disclosed on Schedule C as we prepare joint return together.

No you should not tell her. One of the advantages of numismatic investment is financial privacy. Make sure your coins are somewhere secure that a GF or wife could not take them all while walking out on you. This happened to a friend of mine, he lost it all......Spreadsheets about the portfolio or business should be pw protected.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gentleman! (raises glass) a toast, to our wives and girlfriend's, may they never meet! (much drunken laughter and applause)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file