Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do You Tell Her?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your wife finds out that you spent a lot of money on a rare coin just explain to her that rare coins are a proven good investment and that you are only thinking about our financial security. Just make sure that you can tell her this with a straight face. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2017 6:23PM

I don't disclose what I spend. I can usually hide personal purchases in amongst the purchases for the business. My wife knows by now , I know what I am doing when it comes to buying and selling coins. So she doesn't say much. If she really knew how much some cost and I was keeping them, it would be on. I remember one time not too long ago I was watching the legend auction, An 8k dollar coin just happen to come up when she came in my office, she said and I quote "why you watching those coins, you know you can buy that" I said yeah I know. If she only knew "my personal box of 20 " the avg price per coin is almost twice that.
    Her hobbies and intrests are now nere the cost of mine, but I also don't tell her what she can buy or spend

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, Wabbit. You're funny. I should have thought of that. And 2ltdjorn, the story is true. Cross my heart and hope to die. My little "HER" is one special dish. I thank the Man above every day. I'm one lucky guy.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    What's better is hey honey, I bought this coin for $400 and just sold it for $980 .....

Except when they ask you for the $980............. :'(
    .......not even the profit.....the whole $980.
    That's how my wife's mind works.

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

The money I spend on my toys and hobbies is no big deal BUT after reading all the replies that you guys pay percent of monthly bills and the other half pays percent of bills.... I need to look into that lol.

Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I do tell her or at least offer the opportunity to find out.

For example, she's going to see a package from eBay tomorrow or Monday. I didn't want her thinking it was horribly valuable, nor that it was a bad buy. So I mentioned last night that I had bought it, for $8 BIN and my friend who keeps records of this called it a nice score since he's only seen two for sale in 4 years and the last one sold at $150.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No secrets, no problems. My wife is not interested in coins.. though she does marvel at the values I sometimes mention. Not really interested in my firearms either, though somewhat more than the coins. She does realize there is considerable investment in both.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

My Wife doesn't care what I buy, I use my 'mad money.'
    When I'm mad, I spend some of it!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file