Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you think there were problems with the roll-out of the new boards here, check out ATS

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 12, 2017 7:29AM in U.S. Coin Forum

NGC is changing their chat boards. I found this out last week when I was on short birthday trip to Orlando. They had a link to a new temporary board that featured comic books with the coin topics at the bottom of the page. I noted the new page on my iPad.

When I returned the link on their old page had disappeared. I had a dickens of time finding them on Google. The link I had reported on my iPad went to a straight comic book site.

It seems that NGC is looking for new ways to fail. First, the removal of new PCGS coins from their registry, then the very public, very ill-advised attack on PCGS grading and now this. If I were an NGC stockholder, I would not be a happy investor. They had best get their act together, or soon it will be PCGS vs. ICG as the #1 and #2 grading services.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
  • Options

Thanks. Yes it is. The trouble is it's hard to get to when you are in the old NGC board. There don't appear to be any links.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

...or soon it will be PCGS vs. ICG as the #1 and #2 grading services.

Lol... :D

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't realize that NGC stock traded publicly. How is their business run, and what other companies are like them in structure?

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I remember correctly, I saw that they were hosting their coin forum discussion as a sub-group of their comics forum - temporarily, maybe? Doesn't sound very smart.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    If I remember correctly, I saw that they were hosting their coin forum discussion as a sub-group of their comics forum - temporarily, maybe? Doesn't sound very smart.

Yes, currently you have to scroll through the comic book section to get to the coin blog. I hope that is only temporary.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Bill, I know e-mails were sent out to the address you provided when you first signed up/or later changed, especially to the ones who had 2 different accounts that must now be merged. The migration has had some problems, I found a link the day the merge was completed and transitioned with just a e-mail to change my password because I slept since then. Good luck!

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2017 11:28AM

@BillJones said:
    or soon it will be PCGS vs. ICG as the #1 and #2 grading services.

Is ICG the next in the running now? I haven't been keeping up but I have seen what seemed to be a nice Coronet in their holder recently.

I do hope their board comes up again soon. I have to say PCGS did a wonderful job during the transition process.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Not publicly traded. Publicly berated. Unlike the board room. Reads like a bored room.

It might not be publicly traded, but the company still has investors, and if I were one of them, I would not be happy with its performance over the last few months. They have succeeded in antagonizing many of their customers, supporters and their largest grading service competitor without any perceived gain to the company.

As for emails, I have never received any from NGC concerning the new chat board. I have received all of the others including the PCGS grading rant.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their boards must not be a big priority for them. The customer service people I have spoken with at NGC are not into coins, probably the same applies at this company, so they couldn't care less. The big money makers for NGC now are moderns.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just took a look at the new board. Not impressed ... same old wine in a new bottle. I doubt anything would make their board traffic pick up at this point.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2017 12:38PM

I'm glad you said something Bill. I had no idea they switched. I've been weaning myself off of their boards as if late but this just gives me the excuse to stop completely. I honestly thought it was just slower then usual when I saw no new posts or responses the past few days. I did not get the memo or maybe they were just trying to tell me something.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EXOJUNKIE said:
    Just took a look at the new board. Not impressed ... same old wine in a new bottle. I doubt anything would make their board traffic pick up at this point.

They are still migrating, just temporary at CGCcomics

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2017 8:14PM

I hope that the mods and/or programmers can fix it and get it up and running.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2017 12:38PM

The NGC forums are also called "Collectors Society".

The link is:
    http://boards.collectors-society.com

The US section is currently (Feb 12 2017) read-only:
    http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=2&PHPSESSID=

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    The NGC forums are also called "Collectors Society".

The link is:
    http://boards.collectors-society.com

The US section is currently (Feb 12 2017) read-only:
    http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=2&PHPSESSID=

:)

Which, if you read some of the posts (takes some work to find the right ones), you will discover that those are the old links/place for the forums and that is why people are talking about "the transition".

They stated, and again, it takes some work to find, that the comics section was the first to get done. The old coin forum is in read only mode, since the initial move date. The coin section is currently under the comics.
    The way to get to the coinforum there, once completed, will be under ngccoin.com and then click Resources and it will be under "Chat Boards".

Not a great transition at all.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just hope that there is no data loss. Never received any notice of the change. They must have ran into problems. It's been a few days now.

Larry

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just had a look at their boards. I'm happy to be a member here and only here.
    I never really had a reason to join them when everything of substance is already here.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their boards consist of a lot of squabbling and bickering between several members, so it reads a lot like a "housewives of New Jersey" episode.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some reasons to go there. For me, there are some banned members from here that will be there (Mark Feld, for instance). Also, while many of the posts are about how bad/evil people on the PCGS boards are, posts/links ripped off from threads here, or griping about CAC, etc....there can be some bits that are new/good. I like to learn/enjoy what I can, where I can.

It does get ignorant and stupid at times when certain people start negative posts there, under the guise of sarcasm (at best) about people on the PCGS boards, or PCGS in general. Some of those were banned here but some others post in both places and run over there to negatively run their mouths off...then come back here to continue posting.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:
    Their boards consist of a lot of squabbling and bickering between several members, so it reads a lot like a "housewives of New Jersey" episode.

That is when they are not complaining about us Koolaid drinkers over here.

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:

There are a couple of trolls over there, but it's not all bad. A few of us get together for dinner at a nice restaurant now and then.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed the memo too.

I went over, looked around, but didn't see much happening. I hope things pick up.
    Lance.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman and @ElmerFusterpuck are both correct. I like interacting with Mark Feld; he is a great resource, very knowledgeable and honest. I also like avoiding MrKnowitall, who's posts are accurately described by ElmerFusterpuck as insufferable. Thankfully there is no law that forces me to read them.

Bill Jones also posts some glorious pictures over there (as well as here). I find myself looking for the "like" button! :smile: But, even if there is never another DCarr thread ATS, that would mean that there were only about 25 too many.

Mark

• Options
    edited February 12, 2017 4:05PM

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2017 4:06PM

@BillJones said:

@clarkbar04 said:

There are a couple of trolls over there, but it's not all bad. A few of us get together for dinner at a nice restaurant now and then.

The trolls there are really over the top and have destroyed part of the experience for me. I still go to ask NGC related questions but hope the trolls are gone if I ever do go back more.

Good to know the group gets together over there.

• Options

I'm pretty much considered an outsider there as I'm pro-Carr, pro- CAC and pro -PCGS . 90% of the threads involve these 3 topics and I'm a absolute minority in each. It also helps if you have a law degree ATS. There are plenty of good and knowledable folks ATS BUT I have to admit Mr Knowitall and I are on opposites sides of every issue even if we agree on something :o He has gotten me to the brink of quitting several times. Feld had to talk me off on a ledge once via PM.

It's too bad

mark

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure NGC is going in to receivership any time soon just because they are losing in the US rare coin market - they still dominate the world coin market, although PCGS is making strong inroads, and are sill doing well with other parts of their buisness, apparently, comics. HST, I left the NGC boards a few months ago because of the aforementioned trolls and lack of activity. I am sure their new boards will be fine once they get it straightened out. With or without a vibrant coin boards, they sill have strong comic boards and their General Discussion Forum has some great threads and is vibrant....

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have really liked the updates here, especially with posting images. Wish is was that way over there.

• Options

@spacehayduke said:
    I am not sure NGC is going in to receivership any time soon just because they are losing in the US rare coin market - they still dominate the world coin market, although PCGS is making strong inroads, and are sill doing well with other parts of their buisness, apparently, comics. HST, I left the NGC boards a few months ago because of the aforementioned trolls and lack of activity. I am sure their new boards will be fine once they get it straightened out. With or without a vibrant coin boards, they sill have strong comic boards and their General Discussion Forum has some great threads and is vibrant....

Best, SH

You haven't been keeping up with the latest stats. PCGS went from a 30% world coin share to probably over 50% with the Chinese Mint. They did 400,000 coins in China last quarter alone.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't go there any more.......couldn't care less.

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2017 5:50PM

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    I did get the email, changed my password as instructed and then got lost in the weeds.

I haven't posted (or even visited) there for several years now, but got that password change email the other day also. Still haven't been over there though. :neutral:

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

400K Chinese coins... how many counterfeit and how many at incredibly low bulk rates trying to buy into the market?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    400K Chinese coins... how many counterfeit and how many at incredibly low bulk rates trying to buy into the market?

$9/coin in bulk rate. Not a bad price. About 2X the US bulk rate price. China was profitable last quarter and PCGs expects to use up all its tax losses in this year in China. None were counterfeit as they all came from the China Mint

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbtunr said:

@spacehayduke said:

Best, SH

You haven't been keeping up with the latest stats. PCGS went from a 30% world coin share to probably over 50% with the Chinese Mint. They did 400,000 coins in China last quarter alone.

As I clearly noted, PCGS IS making headway in that field. Please read my post again in case you missed it.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@BillJones said:
    or soon it will be PCGS vs. ICG as the #1 and #2 grading services.

Is ICG the next in the running now? I haven't been keeping up but I have seen what seemed to be a nice Coronet in their holder recently.

I do hope their board comes up again soon. I have to say PCGS did a wonderful job during the transition process.

I've ALWAYS thought that both ANACS and ICG were the equal of, if not superior to, the entities ATS.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2017 8:36PM

The NGC coin Boards are a resource just like any other resource. Some good, some bad. As various people have mentioned there are some good people over there. The jerks like McKnowItAll are easy enough to miss, all you have to do is not read any of their posts, much less their threads.

Of actual TECHNICAL concern with the NEW NGC boards is that they have a maximum total 440K limit for image posting. I don't know about you guys, but I haven't had a file that small created in years, even though my images tend to only be in the 600 X 600 pixel range.

• Options
    edited February 12, 2017 9:01PM

@dbtunr said:
    PCGS went from a 30% world coin share to probably over 50% with the Chinese Mint. They did 400,000 coins in China last quarter alone.

PCGS's China site is impressive for all the work they put into it along with their slab inserts. Clearly, this is a big effort for an upcoming numismatic market.

Here are some of their hero images. Of note, I can't seem to find these inserts with some quick searches. Anyone know if they are out yet?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not been to the boards ATS for a considerable time... and now, I will not bother to try. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill your post is close to violating rules 4, 7 and 8.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC forums seem to be slightly overgraded...

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not been ATS for some time because I was not able to log in and post through my work computer...but now I can for some reason. Seems to be that everybody is making changes even though nobody has been asking for them.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their board is slower. But this place isn't exactly busy either. Maybe they're improvements are designed to increase traffic?

Bash them all you want. At least they don't ban their members when they say things that are the least bit critical.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:

Their board is slower. But this place isn't exactly busy either. Maybe they're improvements are designed to increase traffic?

Bash them all you want. At least they don't ban their members when they say things that are the least bit critical.

This is the main reason I had preferred the NGC boards. I do like the new PCGS boards but let's not forget that prior to the change these boards were 3rd world quality. I'll be patient and see what comes with the new NGC boards. I do have to agree mcknowitall is a complete douche bag. and the comment about needing a law degree is spot on.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

i was just there 10 minutes ago and the site was still down. i really dont care but they do have some good stuff once and a while. just saying

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I've been over at the NGC boards for 10 years or so. My how time flies. Just don't have the extra time to play on multiple boards. One is enough. With at least 20-30 MILL slabs out there, NGC is a long ways from becoming anything but the 2nd best option, no matter how many changes they make. Last I knew, Heritage was a 20-25% owner in NGC. Is that still the case. If so, you can bet they give their inputs to the higher ups at NGC. And the bosses at Heritage are pretty much the best in the world and how to build and grow a coin/collectibles business.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file