Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any reliable way to discern a silver medal from one that is "silvered white metal?" UPDATE

DCWDCW Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2017 6:32PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The back story: I noticed a Joseph Merriam storecard on eBay with Daniel Webster on the obverse. It is a scarce token like all of Merriam's work, but if struck in silver it is RARE. Perhaps unique. Well, it had bad pictures which made it difficult to discern whether it was copper, white metal, silver, etc.
The seller simply listed that it was struck in "MEDAL." I saw some color even in the poor photos, and it seemed to have "pull away toning" so I inquired with the seller, and he informed me it was indeed silver. I was doubtful, but I thought I would take a chance and make an offer anyway. The seller turned out to be a jerk, but whatever. I obtained the medal in the end, and it is drop dead gorgeous, loaded with deep colors and pull away toning, especially on the obverse.

It looks silver to me, but I know silvered white metal can produce similar effects. Does anyone know I reliable way to discern between the two compositions?
Obviously, I could weigh it and compare it to a white metal example.
I do own an example in tin, and I plan on liberating this example from its stupid ANACS slab tonight.
Just wondering if anyone has further thoughts.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

A magnet might work not on copper or brass or aluminum. Maybe on pot metal or white medal..

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

after removing it from slab, inspect the edge for abraded areas where the silver rubbed away. Recently had a similar experience (someone silvered a bronze medal and it was presented as a silver version). Glad I caught the subterfuge.

• Options

@thebigeng said:
    A magnet might work not on copper or brass or aluminum. Maybe on pot metal or white medal..

"White metal" as it is sometimes referred to, was called "tin" by Merriam. Tin does not have significant measurable magnetic attraction, so the refrigerator magnet is probably not a reliable method.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having the weights of other examples in bronze and white metal would help.
    What metals is it known in?
    I'd guess it's silvered bronze or white metal. I have never seen a silvered white metal medal.
    Not that that means anything.
    Some complex mathematical equations will then be in order. Makes my head hurt.
    Good luck. :)

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first recommendation would be to weigh it, but you seem to have planned that already.

You could also try the ring test. Balance it on a pencil and tap it with something. Compare the sound between your known white metal specimen and a silver coin. My guess is that the white metal doesn't ring much (like a Zincoln) compared to the silver.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2017 12:13PM

Hot water.... Dip half in hot water and hold it there. If undipped half heats quickly, and as quickly the heat dissipates after removing ; voila. It's likely silver.
    If it retains heat, well.... it still looks great, but it's probably not silver.

I don't know of any other (maybe or maybe not smart ) test to use, without scraping or filing. And we all know what that can do to an original piece. :confused:

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nevermind the previous statement. You'd have to crack it out. :smile:

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Nevermind the previous statement. You'd have to crack it out. :smile:

It will be cracked out tonight. Im not crazy about dipping it in hot water. I will weigh it and report back. I dont think it is silvered bronze, but there are plenty of silvered tin medals out there (also with pull away toning like this.)

This one is just richly and naturally toned which to me suggests it was struck in silver.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like there is post mint pock on Webster's cheek and perhaps some rubbing as well. Looking in that area with a strong glass might tell you something.

And yes I have seen a few white metal pieces that had been silvered. I believe that the 1893 Grover Cleveland inaugural medals which were attached to a ribbon where made that way. I was the under bidder on one before I bought the piece in my collection is has a brownish color. I would have preferred to have owened the first one, but was out bid.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most reliable method is specific gravity.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2017 1:30PM

@afford said:
    I have the exact look on a Bolen medal, PCGS called it white metal and I thought it was silver. I assume that they know more than me about such things. Therefore I will opine that pull away toning isn't indicative of silver.

Silver is silver, whether it is a solid homogenous composition throughout an object, or just surface plating. Your comment above is indicative of your lack of intelligent reasoning.
    CaptHenway nailed it.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2017 1:47PM

densities kg/cubic meter

copper 8930
    gold 19320
    iron 7850
    lead 11340
    nickel 8800
    nickel silver 8400 - 8900
    platinum 21400
    silver 10490
    tin 7280

Specific gravity will equal density of metal divided by density of water 1000 kg/m3

SG Gold = 19320/1000= 19.32

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2017 1:56PM

I've seen this listed before and also could not tell much from the sellers images.

Weighing it with a scale is one way or just cracking it and palm weighing while wearing a white cotton glove.

If you don't want to crack it out try the following visual inspection below.

On the sellers photos the rub on the high spots made it look like it was silvered white metal.

Now onto your far more detailed photos...

There seems to be rim damage on the reverse at 6 o'clock and some rim cuts.

Grab a loupe and look at these areas.

The silvering would be disturbed in those areas.

The base white metal below would not have toned,

Silver would have.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

@afford said:
    Thank you Mr Knowitall. Just remember you don't know everything, no one does. Many people say pull away toning only occurs on silver, and I disagree with that sometimes used rule.

If you really want to acquire some respect here, then finish your point with some conviction, instead of just blathering. If you believe pull-away toning occurs on something other than silver, then state what your contention might be and prove your case. Otherwise, merely unfounded innuendo.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you are going to crack it, ring test it

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take it to a jewelry store that has an metals anylizing machine. They will probably do it for free or a small fee.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

Pull away toning can occur on other types of metal. I have seen some pretty nice copper medals that display this effect.
    @coinsarefun might want to post her copper Smoker token with awesome pull away toning.

@coindeuce I would appreciate it if you would not be rude to other posters on my thread, and then talk about respect. Your first comment was condescending and unwarranted.
    I am looking for discussion, and everyone us welcome to add to the conversation.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

This is silvered white metal.

• Options

@MsMorrisine Will be cracking it tonight. The ANACS slab means nothing to me.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@Broadstruck Your medal has a similar look to mine. Well, I'm hoping for the best! I mostly bought the damned thing out of curiosity. I needed to examine it in hand, and numismatics itself needed to be apprised of my findings!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

I just did the same bought a token offered with soft images... Gotta see it in hand.

• Options

@afford You're welcome to post the Bolen medal if you'd like?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Most reliable method is specific gravity.

This.

The good Captain nailed it. Very easy to do at home and requires only a scale, a cup of H2O, and a string. The math is middle-school simple. A simple search here will yield the procedure.

• Options
    edited January 19, 2017 4:14PM

@Staircoins
    Found this link and may or may not use this specific gravity test. Think there is anything adverse about dropping the medal in water?
    http://www.johnbetts-fineminerals.com/jhbnyc/articles/specific_gravity.htm

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have a friend who has a metal detector a pass over the coin will tell you. Silver rings high in tones and most machines have both tone and display info.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2017 4:41PM

I would concur on specific gravity testing. The coin would need to be cracked out. I might suggest a X Ray spectrometer Analyzer. They are in use at some bullion shops for detecting metal content. 5% margin or error usually. My coin dealer has one. It may still need to be cracked out however. Anacs may have one of these and you could resubmit with that request in mind, then they could re-holder it...

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's another example of toning on a silvered-white metal planchet, showing the pull-away effect:

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, since we don't get many white metal, pull away toning threads, I may as well post one.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting discussion.... I look forward to the final determination... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Here is my tin example:

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

I have liberated my suspected silver specimen, and the results are intriguing. My known white metal token weighs significantly less, at 12.38g

The suspected silver checked in at 15.61g.
    I have the density of tin and silver at 7.31g/cm3 and 10.5/cm3 respectively. Both my tokens are exactly the same size. Could the answer be as simple as subtracting the difference in density (3.19g) and comparing it to the difference in weight (3.23) If so, it would seem within tolerance levels to say that this is a silver struck token. Or is that a coincidence that the numbers are almost identical?
    How much weight could silvering add to a token?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Congrats as I think it's pretty safe to say you have silver.

Think about it for a moment...

The silvering is just a thin coating which no way would add 3.23g.

That's like 1/4 of the whole WM weight.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you considered that the thickness of the planchets might differ? That would affect your calculation. Others may be able to speak to the consistency of weight between medals of the same metal issued by Merriam. I don't believe that silver plating would add up to the difference between the two medals that you're observing here.

Looking at the rim, I would say that it was silver over white metal. On the right side of the cropped photo below, it looks like flaking. I'm not sure if silvered white metal pieces deteriorate this way, but that's what it appears to be.

The rims also show some damage, which I associate more with white metal, because it is a very soft metal.

• Options

The two medals are of the same thickness. I will have to examine the rims, but I didnt notice any flaking. Could be just a nick that is appearing differently in photos. But if there is a loss of metal, it would only increase the difference in weight between the two.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    I have liberated my suspected silver specimen, and the results are intriguing. My known white metal token weighs significantly less, at 12.38g

The suspected silver checked in at 15.61g.
    I have the density of tin and silver at 7.31g/cm3 and 10.5/cm3 respectively. Both my tokens are exactly the same size. Could the answer be as simple as subtracting the difference in density (3.19g) and comparing it to the difference in weight (3.23) If so, it would seem within tolerance levels to say that this is a silver struck token. Or is that a coincidence that the numbers are almost identical?
    How much weight could silvering add to a token?

Silver (10.5) is 1.43+ times as dense as Tin (7.31). If the volumes were exactly the same and the tin one weighs 12.38 grams, then a pure silver one should weigh 17.70 grams. A sterling silver or coin silver one would weigh slightly less, roughly 17.4 or 17.32 grams respectively.

Your visual estimate that they are the same size may be a bit off. Specific gravity would give you a true answer. That said, it would appear to be silver based upon your observations.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2017 12:59PM

DCW - If you are cracking out the token, all you have to do is flip it as you would when flipping a coin in "heads or tails". Of course you need to take careful measures to be sure you will not damage the coin, but a silver token/coin will make a very audible ring the moment your thumb flips it. On the other hand a pot metal coin will make a thud sound. Seriously, this works.

This also works when flipping copper Lincoln cents (pre 1982) versus flipping zinc cents (post 1982). The copper will make a nice ring whereas the zincoln will make a thud.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

Here are some more pictures. Exactly the same size.

No flaking, either. Just a nick like I thought.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

what are the different known metal compositions for this medal?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2017 10:55PM

Shenkman listed the Webster with Merriam storecard reverse in tin, copper, and brass, but he noted that he had never seen an example in tin nor brass...
    He also listed a Webster with "I still live" reverse wreath in SILVER.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Specific gravity of both.

Did you ring test it?

• Options

Havent ring tested it yet. Leaning towards dipping it in water to perform specific gravity test, but I have cold feet. Any adverse effects on doing that?
    I could also send it off to NGC as they could test it before slabbing, but they hit you over the head, $75
    Metallurgic Analysis
    Upon request, NGC performs a composition surface scan. Only coins with non-standard metal composition will have the weight and the three most abundant non-trace metals listed on the certification label. Metallurgic analysis is available for all pattern, essai, trial and mint error coins, tokens and medals.
    Any thoughts?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file