Home U.S. Coin Forum

Quick Thoughts -- BST, and Trust

DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK . . . . maybe not so quick. No GTG or Pix . . . so somewhat boring, just like some of my English classes.

Just completed my first BST (sell) deal here. Very positive, and the member who was involved may see this . . . who knows. I find it very invigorating to be able to have a presence on the Boards and be able to complete a transaction with nothing more than an electronic 'handshake'. I am not, and never will be, a volume "eBay" type of guy, but I love the thought of honesty, validity of value, and a normal, decent deal done for both sides of a transaction. Sort of like the old West . . . . but without the Colts (though my STI 4.5 Tactical in 45ACP is a decent 'stand-in').

Some of you may be aware I was recently the victim of a scam on the BST. One of at least three. The other guys got hit for more, but recovered their principal through forceful means. I was only out $30 for some steel cents (to give to a US History teacher at my school) . . . so I considered it tuition . . . to the 'darkside' of trading here.

But, little did my scammer know, his efforts just made me think . . . " What makes me happy when I buy? What can I do to positively 'surprise' my buyer? and . . . . . How would I like to be treated in a transaction that would be 'perfect'? " I learned a lot . . . being the 'victim'. So . . .

Just sent off my first package today to a BST member. Took some pride in packaging. Included a little something extra (it was done for me once when I bought). Fired the package off immediately (ohhhhh.........how I hate to package stuff). Did what I would like to be done, and realized that if I played my cards right . . . my buyer will have a great day when he opens the box.

Purpose in the post? Well, minimal at best compared to Cardinal's dollars . . . . . the supercoins of Tradedollarnut . . . . . . or getting a chance to be beaten 'upside the head' by another of Lakes's great Doilies (ha . . . . . but I still got the Kennedy!!! ... and an awesome short game) . . . . . . . . . but it is -------

Just a reminder to all. In this era of mistrust, 'me-first' thinking, and just plain difficulty in finding a lot to be happy about, our acts with each other and particularly when we exchange pieces of history (coins) for each other, can bring a lot of joy to another member. Do what you can to brighten up the day of a member here.

We are bound by a mutual admiration for history. You just think it is 'coins' . . . Let's help each other have some fun in numismatics . . . the Boards . . . and the BST !!!

Drunner
(Formerly the Doily Slut, but now Manservant to the Master of Slabs???)

Comments

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2016 9:09PM

I, knock wood, have always had good transactions on BST. I have been the benfitiary of extra goodies as well as the sender of them ( occasionally). Makes for a great community, something I'm thankful for.

I'm glad your first sale went well!!! B)B)

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • tander123tander123 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I too have had 100% positive results. Drunner you are doing it right!

Excellent BST board members who complete their deals: WONDERCOIN, DABIGKAHUNA, GEMSTATECOINS, FIVECENTS, SILVEREAGLES92, NEWMISMATIST, GTOster, SCHMITZ7,
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knock wood, I'm still at 100% satisfaction in both directions after -- I don't even know how many transactions on the BST, hundreds certainly.

mirabela
  • jedmjedm Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well said D! It starts with us, we've got to be the change we want to see in our world around here.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had several transactions both buying and selling here on the BST and to this date I have never had a problem with anyone. I can honestly say that everyone that I have dealt with here has made it a pleasure to be apart of this group. The BST is self policed for the most part and that says tons about the members here compared to other selling venues. I am honored to be here in the presence of some very great minds, I have learned a lot since I joined back in 2008.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been my pleasure to do many deals on the BST, mostly selling. It's a favorite venue of mine. Too bad I'm not a dealer that you all can take advantage of! Wish I was!!
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Done many deals in both directions on the BST!. So far knock on wood, I've avoided the stinker/s. There are a number here who I have not done business with that I'd trust in a heartbeat.

theknowitalltroll;
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

The BST here is fabulous for the most part. It's an undervalued resource and the source of several of my favorite coins. What is offerred here is sometimes a cut above usual "product" that is for sale in a million other places. So far it's all worked out for me.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice post, well said. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the BST's that I have had on this forum, both buyer and seller, have been positive.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post @DRUNNER....and > STI 4.5 Tactical in 45ACP is a decent 'stand-in> No doubt about that.

I have had great transactions on the BST... was dismayed by the recent 'issue' you described. I hope that will not be repeated. I admire your reaction and agree that making your sale 'special' will help to promote the image and use of the BST. Congratulations...Cheers, RickO

• I am new here and have not participated in the buying or selling here, but as an observer, I don't think 3% whether buying or selling is worth the trouble of not using paypal. I also can't think I would buy a coin for more than lets say $500. Thats a $15 fee if I pay it. All things considered with having to get a money order, get to the post office, etc. The $15 fee to pay immediately and not have to spend 1/2 hr minimum running around seems like a bargain with the added protection and insurance of paypal. I can't see myself worrying about paying the fee if the seller could not absorb in the sale price.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

No paypal for me. If the member is unknown, then no buy/sale from me. I've had great experiences using the BST and hope to continue.

I agree with you Drunner that there is a shared experience that we mutually cherish by loving this hobby. I see no reason why this good will wouldn't extend to transactions among digital friends.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DRUNNER
    Very well said. I'm new here [less than three months] but have had a few nice BST transactions with well known members.
    Let me know if you still need some steel cents, I would donate them to you for the history class.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never had any problems buying in the BST. I only buy from active forum members that have been here awhile and who have a reasonably high post count. This has been called "the circle of trust" in the past.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice post...

The BST has been good to me over the years. Not perfect as there have been some tougher deals from a buyer standpoint, money sent but items not shipped. Took a lot of PM's and followup but eventually the deals were completed. Not sure what was up as the 2 biggest ones that were not smooth were with long time board members who left shortly afterwards. Maybe things were going south on their side not sure.

Still most have been very easy and pleasant...eventually you will establish your own 'Circle of Trust' with members who 'Pay before I ship' and 'Ship before I pay' becomes meaningless. I have some folks here who I trust like that and it is nice.

Just a couple of Wednesday thoughts!

K

ANA LM
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

i don't do paypal, cash, Money order or check is what i take on the BST, as for scams if something sounds too good i walk away as for unknown members the same payment rules apply to them pay in the manner stated, once i get the payment and then i ship

coins for sale at the link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/o7j7gioJcs6hb71s9

• jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only had one transaction on these boards that was less than desirable. Buyer didn't like the common date Peace Dollar in an NGC 65 Fatty Holder I sent him, said it wasn't good for the grade. Someone else subsequently bought it, and now it lives in a PCGS 66+ holder. I can't make these things up.

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well said! This is truly a community of high moral values and I trust anyone here that have been around for a while, and I have only met a handful of you in person.

Dwayne Sessom
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brighten someone's day. What a concept.

Good for you, Drunner! <3

• SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

Great year end post and very well stated.

I can say the BST has been a real privilege to use as a collector. I have had almost no issues in many hundreds of buy/sells. I filter the higher then retail folks who wont take paypal they keep there items listed for months at times. Most folks really want to sell an item at a fair price and almost always its easy to buy as a result.

This year I have had some good buys one recent one was a great IKE dollar set it was about 1 k with 1500 Retail and lots of strong coins in the set. I collect in PCGS m64/65/66 all 3 grades all coins in the series. The coin I use as my Aviator was a BST buy some years back and it remains one of my favorite coins.

We are fortunate indeed to have this resource.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used the BST off and on (for buying and selling) for many years without any issues. Like Sam, my icon was also part of a BST deal. I like to believe I got quite a few very auction worthy coins from there for less than it would have gotten in an auction. Sure it can be a gamble at times, but what part of life isn't? As long as any scammers are brought out into the open, then the BST should remain a great resource.

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well said Drunner... nothing but positive experiences for me as well... a hundred at least over the years. Thanks for posting your deal. Trust is easily eroded when much of what you hear or read is negative. It's good to be reminded that the positive far outweighs the rest for most of us all here.

• jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

100% positive both ways ... The BST is my venue of choice and I thank our hosts for providing it.

If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic post.
    Exquisite punctuation.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread DRUNNER!

• coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drunner,

Sorry to hear about the recent unpleasantness. I know you have always been a reliable buyer on the BST, so I would expect nothing less as a seller.

Merry Christmas!
    John

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2016 11:29AM

I've been lucky--so far nothing but great transaction, both here and ATS.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

great post Drunner. You certainly have a good attitude towards trading here. Thanks for sharing

I've had good luck so far here. There are some generous folks among us. I will have pay it forward after a recent deal

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

group hug :)

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully committing Mail Fraud won't never be the norm.

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2016 9:22AM

It is my wish that some day our hosts will install a form of registration that will thoroughly vet anyone who wants to use the BST for trading. Most of what I have observed here in the past 10 years in the way of uncorrected misdeeds have been "one and done" by ghosts, as opposed to well known and active participants, who more often than not are ready, willing and able to remedy a sin committed here. My suggestion: A PCGS Collector's Club subscription tier that would allow PCGS to positively document a user's ID through a payment form that cannot be anonymous, with an obligatory waiver by applicants that any registration info is available to others by request if and when a claim of misbehavior is placed. And a fundamental requirement similar to Coin Community Forum, which requires a member to participate in at least 50 discussions before selling/buying can begin. There will never be a perfect solution to eradicating all scammers here, but there has to be a better way to more effectively limit the "drive by" fraud.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Drunner, you mean I wasn't your FIRST?!? Lol.... I still have a beautiful doily entombed silver dollar you sold to me many years ago, but maybe that wasn't a BST deal? Nice post. Happy New Year!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drunner.....first off, it sucks that you, and others, got scammed. :(

I hate that when I hear it happening.

Secondly, I like how you handled your recent transaction. That's how I try to approach things as well (here or ebay). Package it so it gets there in 1 piece (or accept the consequences) and handle it like you would want to be handled if you were the buyer. As the buyer, communicate and handle it like you would want to be done if you were the seller.

Makes life so much better and easier if you are dealing with stand-up people.

To that end, I haven't been scammed here. I have made bad choices and way overpaid without doing homework, but that was not against the seller, it was on me. Anyone can set any price they want, and as long as the coin isn't doctored or anything, then it's fair game on the price/sale.

I've even dealt with brand new members. Very cautiously though. I, personally, feel everyone deserves a chance but I do watch how the communication actions go and how they are willing to proceed (ie....regular paypal so there is some protection, who ships/pays first, etc). Bonus points if they don't get into p*ssing contests or break forum conventions (or how they handle it if they do...) and if they stay around and contribute to the forum and don't just use the forums as dumping grounds for flips/etc.

The BST sees transactions from free to 5 figures (maybe more...I am only aware of high 4 figures or just into the 5 figures) and has done well, considering. People should just do due diligence and be careful....and talk to each other (in a nice way and to make sure that 1 thing isn't being sold 5 times which would mean 4 people get ripped off).

Best,

B

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been a while since I have had a deal on BST but currently i'm at 100% for the good.
    I had more than few deals when I actually sent the coins for review before I received payment with no problems.
    I always research.........

• I could see these boards being only available to PCGS collector's club members. Would cut out a lot of one time issues.

• QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 333 ✭✭✭✭

I am new to this forum but have already had a couple of successful transactions and a number of enjoyable interactions. Like anything else, due diligence is a must. Ultimately, the most important we have in this hobby is our reputation. Ours is a relatively small community, and word gets around quickly. Morality aside, it's in all of our best interest to maintain a high level of integrity and alert others when something is amiss.

@learningcoins said:
    I could see these boards being only available to PCGS collector's club members. Would cut out a lot of one time issues.

I'm sure the legal staff for PCGS would advise them to have no association with or other involvement in any BST transaction due to any potential liability for any BST transaction disputes.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

@learningcoins said:
    I could see these boards being only available to PCGS collector's club members. Would cut out a lot of one time issues.

That's been discussed for many years.
    Many of us, myself included, are against it as there are good people that aren't PCGS CC members, for one reason or another.

Being too exclusive would limit involvement and not cut out all the problems either.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

@Bochiman said:

@learningcoins said:

That's been discussed for many years.
    Many of us, myself included, are against it as there are good people that aren't PCGS CC members, for one reason or another.

Being too exclusive would limit involvement and not cut out all the problems either.

Good points. I'm also not a PCGS collectors club member since I only buy coins that are already slabbed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file