Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nickel Error - found a flipped-over-double-strike-in-the-collar nickel

JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello: Long time reader, first time poster. I am not able to compete with the expertise here so I never bothered to register and post, but I have been happy to learn a lot as an unregistered reader of the Forums. But now I find myself in need of a little advice......

I will no doubt make the extremely annoying mistake that many new members make by posting a question about a coin without including a photo. I actually managed to get a couple decent photos with my phone but until I figure out how to post them I will hope that some error experts can give me some generic feedback about what I found.

I was opening up some rolls of 2016P nickels and I found one that was very dirty. It really stood out from the others, which were all blazing BU coins. My first thought was that an older nickel was still in the hopper when the new coins were dumped in to be rolled, but after I wiped some grease off with a paper towel I saw that it was also a 2016P coin. I was focused on the reverse where I saw a faint line above Monticello, and I was trying to decide if it could be a struck-through, and if it was significant enough to save. I eventually flipped it over and the light caught it just right and the elements of the reverse design lit up under the predominant obverse strike. I looked more closely and the line on the reverse was actually Jefferson's collar.

From what I have read there are three types of double strikes: second strike off center, double strike in collar, and flipped over double strike in collar. Mine is the last type and from what I gather, the least common of the three. I have been through many 10s of thousands of coins from rolls (not all new) and I have never found anything of interest in the way of errors - no clips, no cuds, no significant die cracks, no blank planchets, etc. This one was a real surprise.

So, generically speaking, I am curious to know how rare an error this is, if it is worth slabbing (I have no intention of selling it), and if I should attempt to deal with the dirty grease that is left on the coin. Bu the way, I assume that the grease is either the cause of the error (caused the coin to "stick" around in the striking area), or the direct result of it (picked up the grease as it hung around too long).

Thanks for any input anyone may have.

Comments

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    If it truly is as your describe, then you have a real winner. However, you really should learn how to post pictures and those of us error experts will be glad to chime in more.
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds more like clashed dies. Pictures would help.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is a true double struck with rotation error (and based off of your description a flip-over strike), then it would be a rare error. Typically you don't find this sort of error on modern coinage, so they are of high demand among collectors. And depending on the condition and strength of the error, could be worth many hundreds of dollars.

Originally posted by: MWallace
    Sounds more like clashed dies. Pictures would help.

Die clashes on these nickels are pretty common. I would not be surprised if that is what it is. Normally, you will see a line through Jefferson's eyes on the obverse, and Jefferson's eyes below the Monticello building on the reverse.

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    Go to Tinypic.com and that website will convert your photo for forum use. Upload your photo then cut and paste the IMG for forums and message boards in the PCGS reply. Super easy
  • Options
    Thx drfish for the advice on the photos. I will give it a try tonight.

To be honest I had not considered clashed dies, but I am anxious to get my pics out here so you all can see them. The underlying image looks "squished" to me and not part of the die as I would expect on a clash, and there is a rotation involved.

Once I get pics posted I am sure you will be able to confirm what it is pretty quickly.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't try to clean it. Hopefully you did not already damage it by wiping it off with a paper towel.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2023 7:15PM
    Here goes nothing....

Edit 10/16/23:
    Old pictures seem to be gone. Here they are again.

And after a trip across the street...

• Options
    Thx again drfish - I feel a little less stupid than I did a few hours ago. At least I can provide pics now.. We'll see if I was correct with my diagnosis.

I also hoped that the paper towel did not do any damage. I mostly wiped off a thick layer of grease, just enough to read the date and see some details, and hopefully did not add any hairlines. The coin is still a little dirty - I think the pics look a little better than the coin does in hand.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HOLY CROW!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's good.

Oddly, I was looking through recent eBay error listings yesterday and I noticed quite a few flipover double strikes sold recently. This nickel is more attractive than most of those, with the original strike very clear here. Nice find!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can the "five cent" be mirror image? How does that happen?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Wow! Absolutely spectacular! So much of the underlying design from the first strike has been preserved. This is a very desirable error.

Also.... take a look at the date of the underlying strike. It looks like 2015 to me! If that is the case, it would be extremely rare.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: AUandAG

How can the "five cent" be mirror image? How does that happen?

bobimage

It's actually not mirror image, it's struck in correct orientation for this error. The coin was struck then flipped over, landed back in the collar, and struck again by the same dies on opposite sides. It might look sort of mirrored because of the orientation of the photo. If it were mirrored then it would be likely the reverse of a second coin was hammered into the first coin.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Originally posted by: GoldenEgg
    Wow! Absolutely spectacular! So much of the underlying design from the first strike has been preserved. This is a very desirable error.

Also.... take a look at the date of the underlying strike. It looks like 2015 to me! If that is the case, it would be extremely rare.

Wow, I missed that. Cha-ching!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never doubted you.

Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Thx to everyone for the feedback so far, and to Golden Egg for pointing out that the first strike might actually be from 2015. That was not even on my radar. That seems too good to be true, but when I look at the picture it seems plausible. I was focused on how a coin could flip out of the collar, turn over, and then fall back in for a second strike. Maybe that did not happen at all - maybe it got stuck somewhere into the new year and then went through the pipeline a second time...
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever received a (you-suck) award on their very first post? This is a super sweet error. Welcome to the boards
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really cool error.

Glad you're here.image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find! It almost has to be a struck coin flipped into the planchet hopper doesn't it?
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on finding a really collectable coin. I am curious what it will be valued at. Maybe Fred Weinberg will chime in shortly. Oh, and Welcome to the forums.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does everyone think about the possibility of the 2015/2016 date on this one? Super cool error! Great find, makes me want to go out and buy a few rolls!

Get it in a holder too!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My knowledge on error coins is negligible and not my jam. This however is way cool to me.

Congrats! Roll searching at its best

M
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest you send that in to a grading company get it looked over by a expert
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Houston, we have a winner!

The 2015 date means that a coin was struck, got stuck in a hopper or some other piece of equipment, and ended up getting fed back into the press the following year where, by chance, it came under the dies upside down.

A great find, and as somebody else said: "YOU SUCK!"

Congratulations!

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I appreciate the comments, advice, welcomes, etc.

At some point this nickel probably belongs in a slab, but what to do about the residual grease? Would it be safe to slab "as is"? I assume grease is not acidic, but I expect that it may turn dark over time and also stain the coin. If it were nothing special then I would give it a bath in warm water mixed with some dishwashing liquid, but that probably is not appropriate here....
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acetone it, then send for grading.

Very well done! image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing find...Congratulations... give it an acetone bath, then rinse in alcohol, followed by a hot water rinse....do not rub dry..... set it between two cloths and gently pat. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice Find
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Houston, we have a winner!

The 2015 date means that a coin was struck, got stuck in a hopper or some other piece of equipment, and ended up getting fed back into the press the following year where, by chance, it came under the dies upside down.

A great find, and as somebody else said: "YOU SUCK!"

Congratulations!

TD

Or someone could have simply tossed a 2015 coin into the planchet bin. But I think they take great measures to prevent this from happening or we would have seen many other coins of this nature.
    And perhaps a title change is in order but include the word, "error' so this thread comes up in searches.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    Pretty dang cool. Curious to what Fred W. says.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mornin' -

It certainly looks like the original strike's date is 2015,

making this a flip over double strike dual date.

I sold a 1974 Nickel F/O on a 1973 Nickel, in an original

Mint Set, for just under $3K about two years ago, and

although this one isn't IN a mint set, it's a very scarce

error for this date era.

It's worth slabbing, imo, and could worth up to a few grand to the

right interested buyer, possibly.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Wow! Thx for that additional information.

Looks like I will have to give it a bath first to remove the grease - I assume PCGS (or anyone else) will just slab what I send them, so unless I want to look at the grease and wonder how it will manifest itself over the years, I had better deal with it now.

I figure Acetone is a pure substance but what about the recommended alcohol afterward - any particular % or will any bottle of rubbing alcohol from the health and beauty section at Walmart suffice?

Perhaps I'll share the full story another time, but I was cracking open rolls of nickels for a project and this one was literally two seconds away from getting some pretty significant PMD. All the grease on it made it stand out and caused me to give it a closer look....

I always fantasize about finding a blank planchet or a large clip whenever I open new rolls and I was always disappointed that I have never found anything. I guess I can stop complaining now....
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, no more complaining. You just hit the lottery. Awesome!

The alcohol is just a second dip to remove any residue still in the coin that was suspended in the acetone as you removed the coin from the acetone bath. Then the water rinse is a final measure to remove anything that may have lingered. Be quick about transfering from the alcohol to the faucet water rinse. Then place on a paper towel and fold over and pat dry, move coin to a fresh dry part of the paper towel and pat dry again then let it sit for a few minutes and place into a Mylar flip to await submission to pcgs image
    The more you VAM..
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JBK

Wow! Thx for that additional information.

Looks like I will have to give it a bath first to remove the grease - I assume PCGS (or anyone else) will just slab what I send them, so unless I want to look at the grease and wonder how it will manifest itself over the years, I had better deal with it now.

I figure Acetone is a pure substance but what about the recommended alcohol afterward - any particular % or will any bottle of rubbing alcohol from the health and beauty section at Walmart suffice?

Perhaps I'll share the full story another time, but I was cracking open rolls of nickels for a project and this one was literally two seconds away from getting some pretty significant PMD. All the grease on it made it stand out and caused me to give it a closer look....

I always fantasize about finding a blank planchet or a large clip whenever I open new rolls and I was always disappointed that I have never found anything. I guess I can stop complaining now....

If you use isopropyl alcohol it is critical that you use 91%. Water will often cause nickel coins to get carbon spots.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A comment about using acetone: It is extremely flammable. Be careful.

Sometimes, and be very gentle if you do have to do this, you may need to use the tip of a CLEAN Q-tip to dislodge the grease. Change the Q-tip as the end gets dirty.

A hot tap water rinse is usually sufficient. Pat dry with clean towel.

Acetone can damage the finish of many surfaces, such as plastics, varnished wood, etc. If you are not sure if it is safe, don't use it on the surface you were thinking about. A ceramic or stainless steel sink is safe.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful to not WIPE the coin any further. Roll the q-tip very carefully. Use pure acetone and soak it. Tons of threads on acetone to read. MS70 may be a good option too to remove the surface grime.
  • Options
    Or instead of taking a risk, you could send it to one of the big two and use their conservation service, since you've indicated sending to them anyway.

If I had never used acetone before, I certainly wouldn't use a 2k+ coin as my first attempt, even considering that acetone is generally safe for coins.
  • Options

My nickle error is much more than yours

• Options

I am looking for someone to take it to

• Options

My email is lawsonjoycee.jl@gmail.com please respond

• Options

@Joyceelaw said:

Take it right here. Post some photos. :)

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2023 4:35AM

@JBK said:

@Joyceelaw said:

Take it right here. Post some photos. :)

OP posted some pics on the profile page.

Edit:
    @joyceelaw posted pics on the profile page. @Joyceelaw —start a distinct thread for your query; the photos show the coins too poorly.

• Options

@Joyceelaw please post direct pictures of the coin, not pictures of the coin on a screen.

• Options

@JBK said:
    @Joyceelaw please post direct pictures of the coin, not pictures of the coin on a screen.

You can zoom in. The picture is plenty clear enough to that this is a heavily damaged "parking lot" coin.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:
    The picture is plenty clear enough to see that this is a heavily damaged "parking lot" coin.

Agree

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why am I not surprised he has a digital microscope.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@jonathanb said:
    The picture is plenty clear enough to see that this is a heavily damaged "parking lot" coin.

Agree

You can actually see it better on the coin itself than the microscope image.

Is anyone else curious about the backwards writing in the background?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file