Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

Ok, thanks for the correction. I took a look and there is a 1740/30 in 64 at NGC and a few other 63's. This is the finest at PCGS.

So the Mexico 1851ZsOM in PCGS MS64 doesn't count? And I haven't even bothered to look at other mints. Nor ANACS.

Realize that only a very small percentage of world coins are slabbed and ever will be. There are many fabulous coins out there and to judge "finest known" by the PCGS census is foolish.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think an 1851ZsOM is the same type as a 1733-MX/XM pillar
  • Options

I don't think an 1851ZsOM is the same type as a 1733-MX/XM pillar

It obviously isn't. But this comment is what I called you out on:

I believ it is in fact also the finest known 4R from any mint of any year

Your belief is false.
  • Options
    And in my previous post to that I was more clear saying it was for the type. you are right, I am wrong, take your medal.
  • Options
    Pruebas makes a valid point with "finest known".

I have been a serious dedicated census researcher on bust quarters for over 24 years, which includes researching as many auction catalogues as one can get their hands into. Bust quarters are a very small niche category and many have become encapsulated throughout the years - but there are still a ton out there that have not surfaced for numerous reasons. World coins are a different ball game to me. I'm very new at this but realize it will take my lifetime (plus) to capture anything close to recording proper census material through existing sources. We can only rely on what is publicly available, although I'm sure there are always private sources that might be much more accurate. Funny, who are "the experts" that can add/contribute to Boosibri's statement and back it up?

Another point concerning condition census or finest knowns: if it's not published then it can't be used by others.

I for one will say that I will always be amazed to see such a beautifully high grade 4 Reales with a great Norweb provenance. Congrats!

Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    1Bustcollector, I was just busting him for an obviously puffed up claim.

Here's what CRO actually said about the coin:

In 20+ years of concerted searching, this is the single nicest Pillar 4 Reales we've ever had the chance to buy, and it just happens to be this rare and seldom seen early issue.

In other words, all the others were fully/over priced and he couldn't make any money on them.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks, regardless of what was paid, who described what "the best", and whether it was justified - it's still a beautiful coin that deserves to be admired.
  • Options
    You owe me no explanation Preubas, I get it.

Finest known statements do raise eyebrows - and then we all want to check it out.

Adjustment made.

On another note: I'd be interested if there was something/anything in the making geared towards colonial portrait Mexico City 1/2 Reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gosh guys, I went to go have dinner and come back thinking I accidentally clicked on the wrong forum.

Finest or not I wouldn't kick that 4R out of bed.

Look...coins! (sorry they are all damaged)

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Damaged goods, eh? image

I like this episode way better than the "American Chopper" on Discovery channel.

Are these newps? you been busy?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I just hope I don't get yelled at for posting Chinese coins in the North/South American thread. image

These aren't newps but I did just land a big group of fairly tough chopmarked coins. Unfortunately they aren't photographed yet so these had to do.
  • Options
    Awe, hopefully it's no biggie. Just concerned parents when it comes to our lil children. No harm, no foul.

Ok, so I got this in my files. Anyone ever seen "die trials" like this on the other series?

And secondly, how many 1, 2, 4, 8 Reales have the miss spelling of Carolus?

Hey, OriginalDan, I like the chop mark on the 1785 - looks like a Bearded Chopmark!

• Options
    Originally posted by: 1Bustcollector

Well, there's this one:

(not my coin)

I've always wondered if this was a real coin or not. The mistake and the rarity give me pause.
  • Options
    I hear ya. Spelling blunders could definitely be a red flag for counterfeit.

But to argue the opposing side ... and please keep in mind I do not know anything about the factual statistics here ...

Carolus is simply the Latinized version of Charles, as I'm sure you all recall. I would not be surprised if phonetic pronunciations and/or space limitations in the design yielded some shortened versions. Carlus and Carols, said a certain way, do sound more like "Charles" no?

Or maybe I'm just being silly at this late hour.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    1Bustcollector, assuming that 1770 Real (?) is a thin sliver of silver, that's very cool and very rare. I can tell you all about them if you don't already know.

By the way, sorry to "stir the pot" here, but when someone starts parroting marketing pablum as numismatic knowledge, that rubs me the wrong way.
  • Options
    I say post the info regardless, if you have the time. I love learning new things image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Actually, the "Carols" I just posted is real and I later slabbed it by PCGS. I know, it doesn't mean counterfeits do not exist. This 1/2 is also listed in Krause. I just haven't really searched out the other denominations.

I just looked up originalDans 8 real. Krause does list that date (1804) and spelling (Carlus) - pretty cool.

Note to Pruebus: Yes, anything I could learn is always helpful. I know that particular 1/2 real sold via Heritage. Where it is today is anybody's guess.

• Options
    Dan, that 1804 is generally considered an authentic error by the specialized collectors of the series and a very rare coin. Although in this day and age it would be nice to run the xrf analysis on it to ensure the correct metal composition just in case. I only know 1 person with an example of this error.
  • Options
    1BC - nice die trial. I'very chased a few of those at auctions over the years but never successfully.
  • Options
    I checked my notes and it looks like It's the one first sold at Marti Hervera in February of 2014 (auction 80 according to my notes) and then resold by Stack's later that year (October 2014) at triple the price.

Aureo's "Isabel de Trastamara" sale last October had another example for sale, but I was so focused on winning the 1810-TH that I didn't go hard after it.
  • Options
    The 1770 bust Real above (in 1Bustcollector's post), assuming it's on a thin wafer of silver, it known in Spanish as a "muestra" or sample. It is not a die trial.

This piece would be a part of a box of all denominations, both obverses and reverses separately, with the silver denominations struck in thin silver and the gold denominations struck in brass. This box, together with matricies to manufacture punches (examples shown below), would have been shipped from Spain to each New World mint. The reverse muestra would have a N mintmark and NN assayer. The muestra would show the diesinker how the coin should look and he would punch each die individually using punches made from the appropriate matrix. Naturally, he would replace the N with Mo (or whatever the case may be), the NN with the assayer's initials, and the 1770 with the appropriate date in the final product.

I hear there is a complete box of 1770 muestras at one South American numismatic museum (I believe Santiago). I understand the big earthquake in Guatemala City liberated many of these, and most on the market today probably come from that mint (though they would be indistinguishable from any other). Or they could have been otherwise removed from another mint to which they were shipped.

I often wonder if some remained in Spain somewhere and have since come to market.

The matrix below is for a Pillar 8R reverse and is located in the Museo Nacional Numismático in Mexico City. (Sorry for the poor cell phone photo taken by yours truly through glass.)

The matrix below is purportedly for a bust 4R reverse and was auctioned by Dan Sedwick in April 2015. Note the top of the matrix has the Madrid mintmark and is dated "1770" and the bottom has "T.PRIETO" for the name of the engraver, Tomas Prieto.

• Options
    Originally posted by: 1Bustcollector

The way I heard it is that all the manual labor in the Colonial (and Republican) mints were Indios (known today as Native Americans). Most could not read nor write Spanish. Hence they copied what they saw.

Occasionally a mistake was made! image

Similar mistakes are found on the earliest coinage of Carlos y Juana.
  • Options
    Great info, Pruebas! Thanks for taking the time to type it up!
  • Options
    Here's one I was tracking 4 years ago sold by Jesus Vico described as "Prueba unifaz de Tomás Francisco Nieto en plata de 4 reales, 1770, por el estilo, de Lima o México. Bonita pátina. SC. Rara. Ex HSA-1466

"

• Options
    Funny thing, 2K, I've seen way more obverses than reverses. Explain that one??!!

That ex. Huntington Collection piece shown is a great example and did NOT come from Guatemala since it was accessioned in the nineteenth or early twentieth century.
  • Options
    Here's the only example I could find of a reverse, showing the N and NN. This one is in pewter but they exist in thin silver and brass as well.

As for why they exist in pewter, I am not sure. It would seem a wafer of silver would be easier to create and ship from Spain. I wonder if once they arrived at a given mint, copies were made and put on the diesinker's work table and the originals kept in the assayer's vault?

Anybody have ideas?

I can no longer link to a Heritage photo, so here's a link to the auction page.
  • Options
    Well, darn! I started a long write up and when I tried uploading a picture I somehow lost the text.

In any event, thank you Pruebas for all this valuable information. I will take time to digest and review your comments. In linking the Matrix you talk about......I actually had at one time purchased this and later sold it:

You pose good questions, but I feel I would not be able to contribute well because I have no true understandings of the day to day operations of the Mexico Mints nor their policies on handling such items between the various Mints.

I will say, this is all fabulous reading!

Restated due to mistake:

TwoKopeiki: Another interesting posting! I love it. So, am I to assume that the Mint had thought about starting the Pillar (oops! I meant Portrait) design in "1770"? Or was that actually getting ready for the year of 1772?

• Options
    1Bustcollector1Bustcollector Posts: 574 ✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2016 8:16PM
    Well, I think I'll add to the thread...

• Options

1790 Carlos III bust with Carlos IIII Legend

• Options
    edited October 16, 2016 8:54AM

Nice looking transitional, Boosibri!

Here's mine (AU53)

• Options

You should regrade that coin. Looks better than a 53.

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    You should regrade that coin. Looks better than a 53.

One day, perhaps. I have a few coins that could benefit from being resubmitted, but can't justify the expense at this time.

• Options
    edited October 16, 2016 11:50AM

Rory - those are some wonderful minors!!

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man those are some nice 8 reales ....!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Thanks Roman. Boy, you and Boosibri post some beautiful 1790 8R's! I find it tough to obtain high grade examples like that in minors. Mine is only EF....

But through it all, I feel fortunate having opportunity to view those gorgeous 8R's you guys post, it gives one inspiration to keep on collecting!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not as pretty as the one above.........this be my Dos Peso...............and my first Pic on the North & South American Thursday.................Yay I can post pics............now all I have to do is beef up on the photo skill

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very nice example! Great original skin.

• Options
    edited October 20, 2016 9:16AM

1957 5 Pesos Constitution that I saved from the melt bucket for 9 bucks I think, I forget But I was thrilled Mintage of 200,000

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Here's mine (AU53)

Roman, your 1790 seems to have nearly complete luster. Mine is a 55 and not as pretty.

• Options
    edited October 21, 2016 10:03AM

Another Thursday - another bunch of awesome coins posted!

@jgenn said:

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Here's mine (AU53)

Roman, your 1790 seems to have nearly complete luster. Mine is a 55 and not as pretty.

Jack, it's not as lustrous as you think. I think a 55 would've been a more fitting grade, but I can see it in a 53 holder. Phil's photos actually highlight the areas of luster pretty well (bright orange).

Boosibri - great looking minor!

• Options

Let's go a little North ;)

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

If we can include Caribbean islands, perhaps we can stretch the boundaries to include these Pacific islands.

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

[photo 1774Halfrealobv.jpg]
    [photo 1774Halfrealrev.jpg]

• Options

BS: Nice, I don't see that many 1774's in AU and higher compared to other dates.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2024 9:04PM

The Great Pumpkin has arrived:

Portugal Brazil 12,800 Reis 1732-M (Minas Gerais)
    Gold, 38mm, 28.58gm

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

Nice one, Brian. Is that your big NEWP from CRO?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.