Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1792-2017 American Liberty High Relief $100 gold coin (17XA) + Silver Medals

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 5, 2017 1:34AM in U.S. Coin Forum
Coinworld posted an image of what will probably be the 2017 American Gold Liberty. It will be a dual dated coin to celebrate the mint's 225th anniversary.

How do you think the Mint will be celebrating its 225th anniversary in 2017?

During the closed administration portion of the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee Sept. 16 meeting, members were provided information on the 225th anniversary coin currently being developed by the Mint and were also shown a test strike of the coin, U.S. Mint spokeswoman Sharon McPike confirmed to Coin World Sept. 19.

The mint didn't want to share the image of the test strike, but they did have a promotion flyer with the obverse.

The good thing is, Coinworld also had a pic of my avatar! image

Edit to add: Update about the silver medals are found further down in the discussion here:
Comment_11570925

Comments

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stars in her headband should be a little smaller.

Not bad overall
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass.
  • Options
    yep
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait to not buy that.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious what the reverse design will look like. The link to the Coin World article didn't have it. I'll probably buy one. The design is fairly attractive although it will take me a while to get used to Miss Liberty being black. I don't think this design will be popular with most coin collectors who are mostly older white males who tend to be more tradition minded. This may prove to be a low mintage issue with good investment potential.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want one but..

1. Those stars. Yeah... Too big.
    2. I missed the first UHR gold coin in this series and would have to play catch up. Update sets that include 1oz gold coins?! Ouch..

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just a cheap *&%$*, and don't buy gold. The "Price to joy" ratio just isn't there for me.....
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dig it. She is my ideal liberty girl for 2017.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the design. Hope they make a silver medal with the design, so that I can afford it!
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like it better now that i can see the relief.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Weiss
    I can't wait to not buy that.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many who consider this...pass.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the design... although I would like to see the stars reduced in size... they are a bit of a

distraction ... nice coin. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

I think the obverse design is a great choice for a post Civil War dated coin but definitely unexceptable for the year 1792 and wonder what's the significance of the design to 2017?

Otherwise bust is nice but as stated stars just too big
  • Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Not for me. I prefer full body designs (SLQ, WLH, St. Gaudens, etc.)
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PerryHall
    I'm curious what the reverse design will look like. The link to the Coin World article didn't have it. I'll probably buy one. The design is fairly attractive although it will take me a while to get used to Miss Liberty being black. I don't think this design will be popular with most coin collectors who are mostly older white males who tend to be more tradition minded. This may prove to be a low mintage issue with good investment potential.

The image is kinda hidden if you're not looking for it, but they do have this:

Both the Commission of Fine Arts and Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee recommended this design for the reverse of the 1792-2017 American Liberty High Relief $100 gold coin, but U.S. Mint officials have yet to disclose whether it is the approved design.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BIGAL2749

I think the obverse design is a great choice for a post Civil War dated coin but definitely unexceptable for the year 1792 and wonder what's the significance of the design to 2017?

Otherwise bust is nice but as stated stars just too big

This is an American Liberty coin, and it looks like it's becoming a yearly series, originating in the Artistic Infusion Program.

This is just the 2017 HR coin of that series. The significance of the 1792 is when the mint was established, and this is their 225th anniversary, and they're making this coin part of it.
    I wouldn't doubt if we see other products from the mint next year that are dual dated 1792-2017...
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least they didn't do a re-issue of the 1792 half disme. Yeeesh. That is not an attractive coin.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they were going for this effect with the large stars, but I agree that they should be smaller.

http://uspatterns.com/j969p1080.html

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand why they had this design in today's PC world, but I do not think it will sell well, and I think they probably know that. I wish they would have gone with this one:

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jwitten
    I understand why they had this design in today's PC world, but I do not think it will sell well, and I think they probably know that. I wish they would have gone with this one:

• Options
    First that ugly medal, then this? Liberty what? Not worth the face value to me.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "LIBERTY" font is significantly larger than I would choose. Same for the stars, as previously mentioned.
    I would also make the bust larger and possibly extend the bust to the rim instead of truncating it (on a deeply-dished coin like this it would be possible).
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    There are many beautiful African-American women in the US, but the one on the coin is very plain. i don't think sales will be as good as the mint hopes, or i wonder if they even care.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ChangeInHistory

The stars in her headband should be a little smaller.

Not bad overall

I agree. Not bad. Stars are a bit large.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrible looking design, imho.

If there is an offer to purchase and immediately flip, I will do that. Otherwise, I will be staying far away.

The design not only does nothing for me, it is a negative in its appearance.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    edited October 17, 2016 10:02AM

Coinworld has some info from the Oct 13 numismatic forum at the Mint.

As suspected, the 2017 High Relief American Liberty will have an associated silver medal, possibly in more than one finish. The mint is contemplating a silver four finish coin medal set of the 2017 HR coin, as part of their 225th anniversary. One finish from each mint, ala the Kennedy set.

Interestingly, the article states the four coin set will double the number of 1oz medals issued in 2016. Simple math says that's 12,500 sets, since 25,000 silver medals were issued in 2016. I am beginning to suspect the low mintages of the silver medals may have to do with their mandate under the law, which may also be the reason why an ASE proof was included with the Reagan C&C instead of a silver presidential medal.

The mint is also thinking about a RP of the 2018 HR coin.

This has the odor inklings of the first spouse series, except this one could be never-ending. It would satisfy those in congress who wanted the mint to release 24k coins, (which was one of the reasons given for the First Spouse/Gold Buffalo legislation), as well as finally execute their artistic program they started in 2003...

CoinWorld article: The U.S. Mint might produce multiple American Liberty silver medals in 2017

Edit to change the silver rounds from coins to medals...

• Options
    I dont know. Just one satin finish and a proof version should be sufficient imo.
  • Options
    callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭

No thanks.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it... the more I look at it, the more I think I may get one....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll spring for one. Wish they'd shrink the stars, and would have pushed for Vanessa Williams as a model.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

The eagle on the reverse looks sad and defeated...

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any historical background on the person that is depicted? Is it a made up woman or based on a real woman?

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    It is artist's interpretation of modern American Liberty. No historical background connection.
  • Options

The mint has a placehold page in place:

American Liberty 225th Anniversary Gold Coin

No mintage or HHL's. On sale April 6 at noon.

Price evidently will be $50 more than a 1oz 24K Buff Proof, whatever that happens to be in a month.

As an aside, this was a recent video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbR5IgkY0dQ
    Link to video: The Slave Who Helped Assemble the Freedom Statue in Washington D C

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfStrike said:
    There are many beautiful African-American women in the US, but the one on the coin is very plain. i don't think sales will be as good as the mint hopes, or i wonder if they even care.

Beyoncé would want a cut....

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mudskippie said:
    It is artist's interpretation of modern American Liberty. No historical background connection.

The only connection is the simple design is a nod to the simple designs of early coinage. The old design was interpreted with a contemporary style.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@AUandAG said:
    Is there any historical background on the person that is depicted? Is it a made up woman or based on a real woman?

bob

It's based on what Sally Hemings may have looked like as a young girl in 1792. The mint felt bad that they couldn't have included her on any of the first spouse coins. Of course, the mint will adamantly deny all of this.

• Options

My understanding is that Sally closer in appearance to Vanessa Williams or Jennifer (sp?) Bealls.

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible design. No thanks.

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    My understanding is that Sally closer in appearance to Vanessa Williams or Jennifer (sp?) Bealls.

Did you mean Jenner as in Caitlyn Jenner?

• Options

Uh, no. As in the dancer in that old movie "Flashdance"

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

We now have an additional definition of black gold.

Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody puts baby in a corner but 90% who buy this coin will be putting it in a drawer and holding out hope for a low mintage

The more you VAM..
  • Options

The mint finally populated the web site:

American Liberty 225th Anniversary Gold Coin (17XA)

Item Number: 17XA
    Mintage Limit: 100,000
    Product Limit: None
    Household Order Limit: None

If gold remains above $1250, the price will be $1690,
    If gold falls to the $1200-1249 level, it will be $1640.

That's $50 more than a 24K proof buffalo. That's also $440 above spot.

I think these'll be around for a while... :)

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    If I don't buy one will that make me a racist?

Only a racist would have to ask.

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woot. I can't wait for this not to be in my collection! Yeehaw!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2017 9:23AM

Honestly, the only reason I keep posting to my own thread is because it's easy to find... :)

Gold average for the past 5 business days is... $1248.87.

The coin will be $1640.

Have at it, folks! You can order as many as you want, just like yesterday. BWAHahahahahaha...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file