Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anaheim World's Fair of Money Show report

I traveled from Arkansas to Long Beach this week to attend the show. I finished my second day there today and saw each table, at least for a few moments and some for a few minutes.

The show was GREAT for me, a buyer who is a hobbyist and will sell on eBay at mostly museum prices (lol). In other words, I don't rely on resale for a living. Those of you who rightly see this as a buyer's market was the sentiment from most all the dealers I visited.

I dressed really down and didn't share any of my knowledge of coins, especially toners, so that I could better get their honest opinions on the market.

All that being said, there was a LOT of bourse activity and retail selling going on. I was enthused and had a great time with the energy that was in the hall.

I also noticed the dark side well represented in the Hall, mabe 10% of the tables dedicated to World coins. I understand this is one of their main shows, as the title of the show states, but was glad to see their tables busy with retail business as well. Good for our hobby, imo.

I spent $5.5 K and am THRILLED with my newps! I bought 20 pieces. Only one was white. And let me tell you, I don't buy all white unless it is a luster dripping CLEAN fields and devices coin. This was a 81-s Morgan in PC MS-66 green bean. I stole it at bid. I was so sure it was going to have a premium but didn't!

I bought a variety of other rainbow material, including MANY morgans from 63 to 67 in NG or PC.

I also bought a really cool merc dime ms-65 common date in a doily with a GOLD bean. The only coin I've ever bought for the holder and bean! lol. Couldn't pass up that combination.

I bought a cool rainbow nickel struck on a penny panchlet in NGC ms-65.

I bought two Rainbow toned steel cents in NGC 65. The dealer didn't notice the rainbow colors on the coins so I got them at bid. They aren't crazy rainbows but nicely noticable. NGC holders tend not to tone the coins as PCGS toners do. I have heard that is due to the way PC encapsulats...allows air to remain? Just what I've heard anyway.

Finally, got a great Frankie PF 66 true rainbow arc, an amazing ultra neon BLUE canadian dollar 1949 in NG 62 and finally a wonderful 1889 Liberty nickel in PF 62 Rainbow for my proof rainbow type collection in 61/62 I have started.

I know pics would be nice but I don't have them yet, but I hope you enjoyed some of my descriptions, as I know many don't or can't go to shows like this.

Doug image

Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You

Comments

• uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Thanks Baley. I have found the best areas of the big shows to find some nice rainbow Morgans are at the middle to back tables. The bigger dealers up front seem to know their material VERY well (no surprise).
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report. I'll be there tomorrow, hope to say hi
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hows the toner market?
    Hey Boos, Yeah, I should have checked here before I went to the show to contact fellow members here. Darn it. But today was my final day. Spent all my dough. I hopy you have fun.

Hey Bigeng, the toner market is still hot, in my opinion. Dealers are telling me they can't keep them in their cases or the ones that do have them priced for high retail. As I stated above, with some work, you can find some dealers that don't quite know the full value and you can get good deals. Just have to look hard, imo. I am thrilled with my new toners.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! any pictures!!

No, no pics yet. I can't take pics AT ALL. Lol. I send them out for pics to a forum member and should have them in two weeks (sent them from the show via Registered Mail which takes forever). I will post after that. Thanks for your interest!
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: uofa1285
    No, no pics yet. I can't take pics AT ALL. Lol. I send them out for pics to a forum member and should have them in two weeks (sent them from the show via Registered Mail which takes forever). I will post after that. Thanks for your interest!

Next time drop by my table for pics!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
    BluVette, well crud! Could have saved a bundle of dough had I known you were there. I looked for a dedicated table just for pics (in the back) but didn't see one...where are you located there?
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not in the back, table 450.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Great show report. Thank you.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good report.... thanks.... It figures that the market for tarnish is active.... seems to be an area of focus for collectors today. From what I have seen, it often takes priority over the coin itself.... strange. (To me) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file