Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

CoinStar find of Ebay banned country coin

I live in California and today I walked by the market CoinStar machine and saw a shiny coin.

Cuba 10 Centavos 2013

As we all know, Ebay will not allow anyone to sell coins from Cuba on their site.

The castle on the coin is Havana's Castillo de la Real Fuerza (Castle of the Royal Army).

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat.

EBay needs to get with the times and end the Cuban coin ban, which I always thought rather silly in the first place.

When they do, I wonder if there will be a slight uptick or renaissance of Cuban coins? Hmm.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay is ridiculous concerning Cuban coins. I went round and round with a Supervisor about pre Castro coins which were struck in Philadelphia. After she realized she could not rationalize the ban she finally said basically that ebay didn't want to do what it took to separate the 2!
  • Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    eBay does not ban Cuban coins by choice. Cuban coins are on the embargo list. The US government has banned them from coming into the country since 1962 or there abouts along with other Cuban products as sugar cane and cigars. If the ban lifts even for 1 day, then all coins produced from 1960 to date will be legal to import. The US government can confiscate Cuban coins dated after 1960 in your collection if it wants to. There are other countries on the embargo list but I do not recall which ones they are.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought there had been a thaw and things were opening up.

Have we not yet gotten around to getting rid of the seemingly childish and paranoid Cold War embargo, or reestablished embassies?

I guess these things take time.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • From a 2013 Coin World article......

The Embargo Act and OFAC guidelines ban importing into the United States Cuban coins, currency and stamps issued from 1962 onward; pieces issued prior to 1962 may be freely traded. The eBay ban, however, goes further than the Embargo Act and OFAC guidelines, by prohibiting the sale of items issued before 1962, according to Putrow.

“There is no logical reason why eBay has initiated a revised policy other than the inability to ‘tag’ the listings of embargoed and non-embargoed items,” Putrow said.

A commercial, economic and financial embargo against Cuba was partially imposed beginning in October 1960, nearly two years after Fidel Castro’s Cuban Revolution deposed Cuban dictator Fulgencio Batista’s regime.

The embargo was enacted subsequent to Cuba’s nationalizing the properties of U.S. citizens and corporations in Cuba.

The embargo, strengthened to a near-total embargo on Feb. 7, 1962, was codified into law in 1993 as the Cuban Democracy Act.

The act’s stated purpose was to maintain sanctions on Cuba until the Cuban government moves toward “democratization and greater respect for human rights.”

Response from eBay

In response to Coin World’s inquiry concerning reasons for eBay’s ban on Cuban numismatic and philatelic collectibles, Kari Ramirez from eBay’s corporate communications staff issued the following statement May 20:

“eBay is committed to maintaining the highest industry standards and our policies are designed to promote a safe and trusted marketplace that complies with U.S. trade laws and regulations.

“eBay’s Embargoed Goods policy prohibits the sale of items that fall under U.S. embargo regulations. As a U.S.-based company, this policy applies to all items sold on eBay.

“We are updating the policy to clarify that eBay does not permit goods from embargoed countries that claim to be pre-embargo, since we cannot determine or verify when an item was removed from a specific country. Specifically, listings for stamps, coins or paper money from Cuba are not permitted.”
  • Silly ban by eBay, but I believe it has allowed me to pick up some great Cuban coins at affordable prices since dealers can't sell them online.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Heritage and other big auction houses are selling them and never stopped to. In that universe, Cuban currency from the 1950s and up to 1960 has multiplied in value over the past six months, ever since Obama visited Cuba. I can't speak for coins, but Cuban paper money of the 1920s and 1930s is actually printed by the BEP itself, and as such of great interest to US currency collectors. Besides the Philippines under US administration ,I can't think of any other country with BEP printed notes.

Said notes show up in the last season of Boardwalk Empire, early 1930s where Nucky Thomson is finally gunned down. ABNC took the contract in the 1940s and up to 1960, and even Castro used some unused ABNC notes ordered by the Batista regime, and dated 1960, by simply changing the signatures, with Che's as Central Bank director being the most sought after.

For the past two years I bought as many Cuban unc graded banknotes and specimens as I could get my hands on. Stiff competition has now changed that, but Istill believe that the trend is still upward and will remain so for a while.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • That's very interesting information about the paper money and I believe the coin market has become stronger as well based on HA auction results of the coins I own.
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I personally find it ridiculous that e-Bay forbids the listing of Cuban coins struck in Philadelphia.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jackthecat1

I personally find it ridiculous that e-Bay forbids the listing of Cuban coins struck in Philadelphia.

Considering the scope of ebay, it may just be too much trouble trying to figure out which coins were struck in Philadelphia and police the situation. It may be better for them to just wait out the embargo, which may or may not end very soon.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jackthecat1

+1
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Cuba 10 Centavos but from 2008 and it's got many errors on it
  • desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    There was a nice Cuban error coin on Heritage not long ago which I thought I'd take a shot at.

20% off-center, slabbed NGC Genuine, cleaned. I figured it's probably a $50-$100 coin.

It sold for a whopping $1645.

Auction Link

Edited to clarify: I'm not the winning bidder, unfortunately...
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Cuban embargo was the greatest thing the US ever did for Castro. Managed to keep him and his brother in power for 57+ years and counting.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SaorAlba

The Cuban embargo was the greatest thing the US ever did for Castro. Managed to keep him and his brother in power for 57+ years and counting.

Besides preventing any real and FULL investigation into the Kennedy assassination.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    View of Old Havana from the very top of the lighthouse inside Castillo de la Real

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooops, sorry - the picture above is from the Morro Castle (Castillo de los Tres Reyes Magos del Morro)
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoKopeiki

Ooops, sorry - the picture above is from the Morro Castle (Castillo de los Tres Reyes Magos del Morro)

Pretty picture all the while.

My wife's auntie is going to Cuber next month - I should have her get me some illegal coinage.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Alineados

Two thirds of the United Nations member states belong to the Non-aligned movement

Just don't try selling this coin to them on eBay image

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here is my 2008 cuba 10 centavos

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite world coins I picked up for a little over melt...and its the key date.

People also sell a lot of them on eBay, you just can't use "Cuba" in the title. Try "Caribbean silver" or "patria y libertad (and insert the denomination)" and there are a ton for sale...eBay doesn't really care. They are doing just enough to comply with the archaic law.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    It wasn't always like that though, was it? I have vague memories off older members, now permanently yeti, who were collecting quality Cuban coins, including gold, which is the reason why I find myself familiar with the designs. Wasn't it allowed to buy/sell 10-15 years ago on eBay ?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I enjoy Cuban coins and look forward to collecting more of them. I recently purchased a nice certified Gold 2 Pesos from Steinberg's. I would love to pick up one of the ABC Pesos.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SYRACUSIAN

It wasn't always like that though, was it? I have vague memories off older members, now permanently yeti, who were collecting quality Cuban coins, including gold, which is the reason why I find myself familiar with the designs. Wasn't it allowed to buy/sell 10-15 years ago on eBay ?

Ebay didn't start enforcing it until 2 or 3 years ago.

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay removed my listing for a Cuba 1916 4 Peso Gold Proof. Minted in Philly so that's rather silly....
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SaorAlba
    Originally posted by: TwoKopeiki

Pretty picture all the while.

My wife's auntie is going to Cuber next month - I should have her get me some illegal coinage.

Spoken like a true Bostonian.image
    Paul
  • @REALGATOR said:
    Ebay removed my listing for a Cuba 1916 4 Peso Gold Proof. Minted in Philly so that's rather silly....

Do you still have?

• Oddly enough, eBay only filters the word "Cuba" in the coins and paper money category. If you search in categories like historical collectibles, you will find Cuban coins for sale listed normally and without the facsimile names like "Caribbean Islands" or the somewhat amusing "Q-ba"

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2017 5:14AM

@Lopezcoins said:

@REALGATOR said:

Do you still have?

Yes I do. Not very good photos. This is the only one graded by PCGS. Mintage is believed to be 10 with 5 known.
    I give it the nickname "Cuban Stella" for the unusual denomination. Yes I know his name isn't Stella and there are no stars.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, if I recall correctly from my own trips there, that 10 centavo coin was the tourist coinage, not the coinage for ordinary Cubans.

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious...... aren't there MULTIPLE eBay's out there with extensions like ca, au, etc besides just the one used in the U.S.? Or am I confusing it with multiple versions of Amazon? If there ARE multiple eBays out there, is Cuba blocked on those as well?

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are indeed. UK has their own, France, Germany, etc. I think but not 100% sure that the Cuba ban does not apply to them. Not sure if they try to ban bids or shipments involving USA.