Home Precious Metals
Options

Collecting old bullion

LESBOS. Mytilene. Ca. 454-427 BC. EL hekte (2.52 gm). Forepart of boar right / Head of roaring lion right, within frame set in square incuse. Bodenstedt 41. HGC 6, 967. NGC XF 5/5 - 4/5.

What a deal, I picked this one up for about $10k per ounce. image

I do find these pretty interesting, from around 650 BC - 450 BC (the dawn of coinage) it seemed most coinage was electrum, a naturally occurring allow of gold and silver. During the early classic period electrum in Mytilene averaged around 43% gold content.

Comments

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Nice! Thanks for sharing!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can easily make out the lion, but cant find the hidden boar head in the picture. To my eye it looks like a rabbit to the lower right, in front of a fallen log.

Neat coin, I dig the numismatic aspect of PMs, this is the only picture of a coin I've seen today and it's of a type I've never laid eyes on before. Thanks!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a really nice old coin... thanks for the history, and I would say it was a good price to pay as well... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can easily make out the lion, but cant find the hidden boar head in the picture. To my eye it looks like a rabbit to the lower right, in front of a fallen log.

Neat coin, I dig the numismatic aspect of PMs, this is the only picture of a coin I've seen today and it's of a type I've never laid eyes on before. Thanks! >>

image The whole thing is boar. Thats his ears & tusks not a bunny!
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LESBOS. Mytilene. Ca. 454-427 BC. EL hekte (2.52 gm). Forepart of boar right / Head of roaring lion right, within frame set in square incuse. Bodenstedt 41. HGC 6, 967. NGC XF 5/5 - 4/5.

What a deal, I picked this one up for about $10k per ounce. image

I do find these pretty interesting, from around 650 BC - 450 BC (the dawn of coinage) it seemed most coinage was electrum, a naturally occurring allow of gold and silver. During the early classic period electrum in Mytilene averaged around 43% gold content. >>

Antiquity has it's price. Let's hope it's not on the list of disallowed imports.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that a Cecil commemorative? image

Neat coin with what seems like lots of meat.image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear