Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Spent most of yesterday at lot viewing with Valente151. Not a lot in the AU category in Barbers.
    What there was - was a bunch of decent and not so attractive misc. Barbers. A few were very
    nice, but out of my grade range.

There were some very nice Seated Halves - session 4 - Saturday - Internet Only Sale you need
    to check out. I loved 20 - which I would but in a heart beat if finances were better. I'll make a play
    for one or two.

Glad Joe had a moment to drop us a line....he is a busy beaver. Love the two Dimes, Joe. One did
    look suspiciously familiar...
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    JKT, your image is posted on the coinfacts page. Nice score!

Here is the "+" coin I talked about days ago. Forgive my photography.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JT - The Tru-View pic of your 09-O looks really nice. What a tough coin.

Justin - A 45+ is pretty unusual, good looking qtr by-the-way. Why do you suppose it's a 45+, and not an AU50?

Pics for this AM, my favorite 45 qtr, used to be NGC-45, now in my raw set:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Vern, I assume it's because of the thick skin. If it was dipped, I'm sure it would be an AU coin. But that won't happen as long as it resides with me. The plus doesn't have any meaning to me though. It's just a really sweet, tough coin.

And that 97-S is killer!
  • Options
    Spent Day 1 of the show having a nice leisurely meeting with Jeff Mendenhall ( JeffFromTampa) , Lenny Rizzo (Paesan) and
    Mike Valente ( Valente151) .... A little show and tell, a few grading opinions, some browsing of what we had brought to sell.
    The hour flew by...and we headed over to the convention center.

Not much of a crowd when we arrived at 9:50 ( show opened at 10:00 ).... After a speech from one of the FUN officers -
    I believe Randy Campbell - we proceeded into the smallest Winter FUN show I had been to. I saw a few very familiar faces
    and chit chatted my way though the show. I sold off a suitcase full of Prestiege Proof Sets I was wanting to dump ( why in
    God's green Earth did I ever buy that stuff ? ) really sound investment.image

Stopped by to see Liz Coggan....a little buying and selling.... I bought a splendid 1905 Quarter in NGC 58, toned in a medium
    blue / grey with tons of luster. She picked up my recently upgraded 1896-O Dime in PC 45 and a few nice, but common dated
    Halves in 35-50 whose dates I upgraded this past year.

Mike V found me an 1891 Quarter for my Grandmother's year set. It's really quite nice, but it is much lower graded than my
    recent 1891-S in 65; this Phila issue is in an old Rattler, PCGS 60 with a green CAC. The coin is easily an MS 62. I think I'll
    just keep it in the rattler rather than send it in for an upgrade.

By lunch time, Dave Wollinka came in and we chatted for awhile - and he had a box of consignments for Heritage; after we all
    agreed there were no upgrades in the consignment, he met up with Win Callender of Heritage and they scheduled the coins for
    the next Long Beach in late August. There were some Dimes I would have loved to have bought out right, but they were out of
    this retiree's budget. I didn't record the specific dates of the consignment - but I will post them and their lot numbers as they
    become available. All I can say: NICE STUFF !!

I had lunch with Jeff and Mike ... when Dave showed up... Lenny joined us and again, a further Barber discussion ensued. The topic
    of Jeff's two halves (recently discussed on this forum ) and I still am in the minority that that AU 53 should be in an AU 55 slab. Ehhh,
    just a difference of opinion. I still think I am right. It's a 55 !! image The other half that was 92'd for cleaning ( for die polish lines ) that we
    discussed, it's an AU 55+ coin; well trained eyes from my friend John Shuch of NGC saw the problem right away - it was improperly cleaned
    and there are darker patches on it ( which I don't see ) but he saw the general presence of the coin and knew immediately it was cleaned.
    I guess when you are subjected to thousands of coins a year on submissions, some types of cleanings stand out and are recognizable immediately. As Jeff mentioned, he's going to take John's NGC Grading course this Saturday. I think it's a great idea, as I should join him as
    well. There are nuances of spotting a played with coin that I am unfamiliar with myself. IE: puttying a coin to mask any disturbances.
    I've been burned twice with this. Both times an expensive lesson.

Dinner last night was at the Hyatt where Dave was staying. We ate and drank quite well. The wines were superb, the beef perfectly done.
    The company was jovial.

Today will be a very short day for me at the show. A quick pass thru to see if I missed anything; not one AU Liberty Head nickel in PCGS 58
    was to be had from my list of 9 coins. I was just glad I located one of the four Quarters I was searching for although in the wrong holder.
    As they say, I bought the coin, not the holder. It'll get sent into our hosts with some other things I left at home because PCGS was not here.

Ok, happy hunting !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justin, That is one very nice 99-S! Better than most AUs I've seen.

Vern, That is one very nice 97-S!

Joe, Good to hear from you. How about a lowball dime set?

I thought FUN show was a bust. Great seeing friends though, and Dave's consignment box was a great side show! Nice to finally meet Mike V. Great kid with a fabulous eye for coins and an amicable personality.

Paesan

P.S. Tonight I'm seeing The Eagles in Miami. First time seeing them, and I think the show will be better than yesterday's.
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Mike-If you have trouble grading that coin, than I really have no chance at all getting it right, hope to find a little help with that at the Chicago ANA show.

Vern-one of my favorite coins, got from one of the forum members not my pic though, I start the arduous task of re-doing all my coins with my new Canon setup.

Justin-really nice looking coin, I never did understand the + grading, but if it is in fact a 45 and not AU it's sure top of the line in my opinion.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>P.S. Tonight I'm seeing The Eagles in Miami. First time seeing them, and I think the show will be better than yesterday's. >>

You'll chave a lot more fun with the Eagles than Summer FUN. It was pretty much a bust for me other than a crusty raw AU '11 S half and four AU 58 Walkers. The '11 S half looked original and was priced right.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    Paesan and Jeff- nice to meet you and do a little show and tell.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that the summer FUN was disappointing.

Paesan - Hope you enjoyed the Eagles.

Pics for this AM, meeting my friend Keith at a small show tomorrow, hope he brings a couple more like this for photography:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I was at a local monthly show yesterday morning in a Chicago suburb. It was discouraging how attendance was down (both public and dealers). Anyone noticing the same thing? Didn't acquire anything.

Pics for this AM, from my raw album:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Vern,
    we are having a Missouri Numismatic show here next week, looks like 108 dealers, usually someone from JJ Teaparty sets up here. I get pretty frustrated at times, not a lot of PCGS XF-AU stuff, mostly high end MS stuff at these shows. I will spend most of my time looking for raw coins, with the registry, I sometimes forget about the raw set.

See you in Chicago,
  • Options
    A few Liberty Nickels came back from grading over the weekend. First up, a 1883 no CENTS PCGS MS 65:

This was submitted in a small white ANACS MS 65 holder. And yes, those are die polish lines you see.

Next, a colorful 1893 PCGS MS 64:

This was a raw find from eBay; sometimes I get lucky.

Next up, a very nice looking 1907 PCGS MS 61:

This was another raw find from eBay. For the life of me I can't figure out why this is in a 61 holder. There are almost no marks and it's an attractive coin, but it does have a bit of a weak strike. Can anyone help me figure out the grade? Or did PCGS miss on this one? image
  • Options
    Daveyn: I just sold Liz at JJ Teaparty some more common dated halves - all very choice XF's ( 1 AU 50 )
    ...but the Creme de la Creme was an XF 45 1896-O Dime. If she still has it, it's well worth the look-see.
    It's a semi key - and it won't come cheap. If it didn't sell at FUN, she'll be happy to send you the images.
    If need be, I can post them ( I'll edit this post ).

Vern: I tried sniping a 1907-S in PCGS 45 yesterday on eBay; my well thought out bid strategy was looking
    up all 45's sold at Heritage in that grade, looking up what PCGS price guide was for a regular 45 and for a Plus.
    I do not have access to "coin plex" ( not without calling friends ) but I thought I came up with a solid bid for
    this semi key date. My bid didn't even register on the bidders list... They blew right by my bid. It sold for $301.image

Jeff: Three attractive V Nicks. Strike is about the only thing holding back the 1907. Too many flat stars I guess to get over
    the assigned grade .... I love the 1893 and especially for a 64.... I think it'll CAC without a problem. The 1883 N/C in 65
    is interesting due to the die cracks. Also, oh those pesky die polish lines. I bet the luster is amazing on that coin.

I won the second most common S minted Dime there is .... In MS 65 on the Heritage's final Internet Only sale yesterday.
    The 1911-S PCGS 65:

I mentioned I lost one snipe bid on the 07-S Quarter - but I didn't mention that I won another snipe bid: 1909-D Quarter in PCGS 58
    . Lots of luster and an improvement over my AU 55. :image
    imageimage

Now that my YN friend is back home in Maine, I'll send him my newps to image and have him order hard copies for my photo albums.
    ( I hope he doesn't mind my calling him YN ... He refers to himself as a YN ... and will until his 21st Birthday in late August. ) valente151
    worked tirelessly for a day and a half imaging the balance of my Dimes and Quarters ( mostly newps since he was last here a year ago ).
    He also got all my Halves imaged that must have been at least 65 coins if not more. I have a dozen or so professional images taken by
    other photographers, ie: my 1893-S in AU 53 and a few others. I've been trying to get all my images into a uniform look, ie: my retired sets.

Ok... It's "dog park time"..... Gotta run... Will edit this when I return.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice die cracks on that V nickel, and a farily flat 1st star. I think MS 63, but MS 64 possible.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    The Eagles did not disappoint. Joe Walsh is amazing.

Always enjoy seeing Keith's coins.

Paesan
  • Options
    A new addition for my Everyman Nickel set arrived in the mail today, an interesting one at that.

A 1903 with a mis-aligned obverse die. I don't know how common this is, but I haven't seen it. It's not a major error, but I find it quite intriguing. I think this should grade 58 (assuming PCGS doesn't bag it for the mis-aligned die- that would be my luck).
  • Options
    GTG for Darrell

• Options
    I'm a bit confused- are you purchasing the coin or selling it to Darrell? It doesn't look like your kind of coin.

Perhaps I'm missing out on something.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff! Justin posted pictures of a Guess the Grade for me!

This picture is shot through an old thick plastic 2X2 holder!

Thanks Justin!
  • Options
    I don't have any inside info, so I'll guess 50, maybe 53.
  • Options
    It looks like a 53 to me, but the surfaces look both shiny & dull. Cleaned?? Maybe just the photo.

I'm wondering what's going on with the mint mark?
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like a 53 to me, but the surfaces look both shiny & dull. Cleaned?? Maybe just the photo.

I'm wondering what's going on with the mint mark? >>

Looks polished - 53 Details.
    Once cleaned with Baking Soda ??

Ok, the S MM is squished at the bottom...wonder what is going on....
    Or am I wrong - its a contemporary counterfeit ?? Regardless - the scar
    on the cheek is in a primary spot - NO GRADE
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Dave - Hope you find something next week. Look forward to ANA next month.

Jeff - I can't understand a 61 on your '07 either. Neat mis-aligned '03, adds character.

Mike - $300+ was pretty steep for that 07-S. Congrats on the 09-D (and the dime as well).

Darrell - I'd say no grade, if it's real. Would need to see it in hand.

Pics for this AM, only non-Indian Cent Keith gave me for pics Sunday:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Photo bucket is a lot easier to post from these days, this could be fun again. Looking forward to meeting up with the Barber Boys at Summer FUN in 2016.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Nice coins- why wait till summer? Winter FUN 2016 Tampa!!!

I think this is bigger than the Olympics. Does NBC have the coverage???
  • Options
    New pictures of Darrell's GTG

• Options
    Joe, Really like the look of your 99 quarter! Agree with Jeff, if you're going to make the trip, winter FUN is much better. (Micro o half pretty cool too!)

Paesan
  • Options

<< <i>A new raw Barber Half purchase came in the mail today- a 1915 S:

It looks like a AU 58 to me; perhaps it has the right qualities for a plus? >>

Grades were posted today for 3 raw Barber Halves, including this one. It did go 58, but no plus- darn. Now I need to decide which 58 to keep....

I submitted 2 other Barber 50C that I thought were good cantidates for 58's- they both came back as 55's. It looks like PCGS is really getting more conservative on their AU grading; I have many 58's that look worse than the two 55's just graded. Maybe it goes in waves?
  • Options
    Jeff.... That 15-S is a pretty cool looking coin. "58" Hands Down !!
    Congrats...and if you have others in 58, none could be as pretty as
    this new one. Love it.

Joe: Winter FUN in Tampa - you get to visit your wife's family in Sarasota,
    come down and visit the "new kids on the block" ( Max and Ginja ) and of
    course sample some fine Irish whiskey.

Summer FUN could very well be scratched off my to do list. It's not worth
    it ...IMHO ....

Nothing new to report in the last four days, I must be slipping !! image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    A few new raw purchases arrived in the mail today, all from the same seller. First up, a 1883 5C w/ CENTS:

I think this may have a shot at a 63, but the reverse seems to show a break in the luster. It could 58.

Next up a 1916 S Barber Dime:

Although not very exciting (lack of color), it's in beautiful condition. Perhaps a 65?

Next up is another 1915 S Barber Half:

It looks like a 53 to me.

Next up, a non Barber coin, but it came in the same package and photographs nice- a 1902 Indian Cent:

I think this one has a shot at 65 BN.

A nice little haul today! image
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well not as much interest as I expected on the 08-S. I posted this coin for educational purposes! Take a look at the stars above the eagle and compare them to others. The MM is a give away also. This is a very good struck counterfeit that is silver and weighs 12 grams...IE 1/2 Gram light!

On a roll Jeff? image
  • Options
    We all knew something was up. Good post- thanks for the education. A really good fake, however, what can we trust?

Most people believe there aren't any decent raw coins left out there to find- I say nay. Obviously knowledge is not only King, but everything (as Darrell pointed out).
  • Options
    Joe - Good to have you back. You might consider telling about your Mico O, for those that weren't around when you acquired it. Nice qtrs.

Jeff - It definitely seems to go in waves from my perspective. And like the variety of type in your latest batch of newps.

Darrell - Thanks for having the counterfeit posted (thanks Justin). We can never learn enough.

Pics for this AM, Doug's current '92, should have pics of his latest for tomorrow. This one is PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    As I sit here this morning sipping on my breakfast coffee, I have the chance of reviewing everything that's been
    posted and discussed.

I mentioned I thought the 1908-S Half (that Darrell had a GTG on)( also in another thread ) that
    there was something odd about the piece; I just couldn't put my finger on the problem. Aside from
    the surfaces looking like ammonia was used - that blanched dull look - I never even thought to question
    the stars on the reverse, I didn't have a Half handy then for comparison. The squished S mint mark was
    also a major tip off, as it wasn't PMD. It was "as struck". It is one of the better contemporary counterfeits
    I have ever seen. How'd you come across it, Darrell ?

The story of JMW's micro O is very interesting, especially from my vantage point. Joe needs to retell the story
    especially for those who were not around when he first acquired the coin.

Vern: Yes, I also thought the 1907-S Quarter in PCGS 45 was very steep. As I said, my snipe bid never even
    registered in the overall bids. What I was a tad miffed about ( more at myself than anything else ) is that
    Heritage also had a 1907-S Quarter in PCGS 45 at auction which was being sold within hours of the eBay one.
    The Heritage coin sold at $230 ( all in, I believe. I need to review that figure, but that's what I remember ).
    I had just won the 1911-S Dime in 65 from Heritage and the 1909-D Quarter off eBay, so my mind was occupied
    with the newps, and not the 07-S. Of course, I am really looking for an AU 50-58 if I can locate one. I just do not
    wish to pay "Moon Money" for the coin. I'll have to be content with the VF 25 I picked up a while back.

Jeff: As Vern mentioned, you really are on a roll. You have developed an eye and it must be very rewarding to
    find a raw coin, submit it and receive a superlative grade ( 58 ) .... Your recent grading course must have given
    you a new sense of confidence in your grading abilities. Which is a good thing; you don't shy away if you feel the
    coin is Slabable. Your recent grading results are to be commended. I especially like the previous 1915-S Half you
    posted. ( Not so much the most recent one ). ( to each his own, I guess ). All this activity reminds me of our good
    friend Scott Mezzetti - who dove into the market head over heels as well. I love the enthusiasm !!!

Looking forward to seeing Doug's newest 1892. My latest 92 was imaged by Valente151 the weekend before FUN.
    I also am looking forward to seeing that image as well as the others. My most recent 1892 is a Type Two, AU 58.
    It's probably one of the most colorfully toned coins I own.

Happy hunting everyone !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    It's funny how all of us look at coins in a different light. When I first saw the 08-S half GTG, I immediately thought 'no skin' and I scrolled on down without further examination. Has anyone every seen a counterfeit with original skin? Just curious. Anyway, an interesting conversation piece!

Paesan
  • Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Barber Quarter I recently picked up...
  • Options
    Thank you MSCH1MAN - I am sure we all agree, that's one nice Quarter !!

I realized I had not used my eBay Bucks - and I actually found a Dime I could
    use to upgrade my AU 53 .... 1910-D in PCGS 63..... Images to follow ( sellers'
    images.... )
    Looks like my cousin's son hit pay dirt again... I know he'll love the 53 I got
    from the Reeded Edge.

imageimage

Terrible images - sorry - new images within the next couple of weeks.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - I missed the Heritage 07-S in 45. Will have to look it up to see what it looked like. Nice newp dime BTW.

Paesan - Can't recall a counterfeit with original skin.

msch - Welcome to the barber mega thread. Really nice qtr. Congrats.

Pics for this AM, Doug's newp '92, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Yep, that 1892 25C is a beauty- I love the color!! image

A new addition to my Barber Half set, a replacement for my current PCGS AU 55. I bought the new one at a Heritage Auction last month in an old NGC AU 58 holder. I cracked it out and submitted it raw, thinking it had a better shot going 58 raw than in the old holder. It didn't go as hoped- it came back in a PC 55 holder. It's hard to guess the best way to submit coins in holders. Anyway, I like it better than my old 55 so now it holds the spot in my set:

• Options
    Thanks, Vern. I thought it had a good look to it. I had to use my eBay Bucks and
    this was as good a reason to use them as anything else I saw.

Doug: Nice 1892 Quarter. handsome Type One.

Jeff: I love the 1903 date...always have. It's a sleeper date ( at least it was for me ) .
    I think your Newp is a tad nicer than a 55 - not quite a 58. When will they start giving
    out Plusses (+) ??

Have spent some time, today, previewing both Stacks-Bowers and Heritage's ANA Summer auctions.
    I am having difficulty deciding what to bid on...and what to pass on. Some very nicecoins being offered.

I hope the folks who ventured to Baltimore are enjoying themselves. I spotted a V Nickel I needed
    on Collectors Corner and called the dealer, JJ Teaparty, while they were on the bourse. Gail was great,
    she's sending it once the show is over.

Later....
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Jeff - If you tried your '03 again, it might make 58. One never knows.

Mike - Looked up the Heritage 07-S qtr in 45. It wouldn't have been for me.

Pics for this AM, continuing the '92 qtr run, my PC58 (which was Doug's before he found his PC55):

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Another fake Barber Half on eBay for your viewing pleasure.....

Fake Barber Half

Not nearly as good as Darryl's.
  • Options
    A good day for fakes- another find!

Fake Barber Half #2

This one looks even worse.... Who buys this stuff?
  • Options
    And another!

Fake #3
  • Options
    Jeff - Thanks for linking the fakes. To answer your question, who buys this stuff, people who think they can win a $100 item for $2 on ebay.

Pics for this AM, a couple from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Nice original looking quarters, Vern. They have personality.

A new addiotion to my Barber Half Everyman's set, a 1905 PC 58:

A minor upgrade, this replaces a very nice PC 55 in the set.
  • Options
    Vern: That's a very good question ! Who buys this junk ?
    If someone is bidding on these fakes, they must be able
    to compare them to the originals that are in their same
    category ?!! For all the bidders know, these could just
    be pot metal and have no intrinsic value at all.

They are ugly as all get out as well. Ugh !!

I like the Quarters you're posting from your raw book.
    My friend, Srotag ( Dave ) is putting together a couple
    of VF/XF sets for his kids in PCGS holders who have the
    "Right Look". We have been pretty successful so far. He
    kick started this Quarter set with an XF 45 - 01-S PCGS
    Quarter. He'll have professional images taken one of these
    days.

My only Heritage winning arrived yesterday; I'm very pleased
    with the 1911-S Dime in PC 65. It's off to CAC within a few days.

Jeff: ( edit )

Very nice 1905 Half. A sleeper in 58. Great find !! Congrats !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I reported all 3 of those fake Barber Halves to eBay yesterday morning, yet the auctions are still active. I wonder if eBay is fooled or too busy to get to them? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file