Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which bust half do you like better?

Which specimen do you prefer? And perhaps why?

Comments

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Option 2

Because it has better eye appeal.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 for the more attractive obverse. Neither is great coin though - I think you know that.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like toning on the second one, but I don't know what is going on at 12 k in the reverse.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Prefer the toning on #2 but both have problems so would pass
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like toning on the second one, but I don't know what is going on at 12 k in the reverse >>

It's called a clip.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭

<< <i>Option 2

Because it has better eye appeal. >>

Ditto
    Dan
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I like toning on the second one, but I don't know what is going on at 12 k in the reverse >>

It's called a clip. >>

No...it is called a "Guido".

It occurs when the blank planchet does not make a full rotation through the castaing machine that applies the lettered edge prior to striking. Besides applying the lettered edges, the castaing machince also pushes up the edges so that when the planchet is stuck with the obverse and reverse dies it will help make an even strike.

I notice that they are both the same die marriage and even the same die stage...and an R-5 to boot! Provided that I am correct in my attribution of O-113...

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    Oh...and I would keep them both!

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like em both and would more than likely keep both.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough call. Number 2 has the overall look I usually prefer.
    Number 1 shows a little less wear.

They each have good points.

Not much help am I? image
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2. I really don't care for either.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass on both. Sorry.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's called a clip. >>

No...it is called a "Guido".

It occurs when the blank planchet does not make a full rotation through the castaing machine that applies the lettered edge prior to striking. Besides applying the lettered edges, the castaing machince also pushes up the edges so that when the planchet is stuck with the obverse and reverse dies it will help make an even strike.

I notice that they are both the same die marriage and even the same die stage...and an R-5 to boot! Provided that I am correct in my attribution of O-113...

QN >>

I was wondering how long it would take someone to point that out image The Guido and the variety.
  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    A couple of nice grabs, especially for the die marriage. Personally I'd settle with #1 if I could only keep one of them...
    zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O-113 I believe, R5
    Put me in the I'll keep both camp
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭
    Is this variety still R5? I feel like I see them often compared to other R5's like 09-101 or 27-122 (just to name a couple). I suspect the O.113 will be the next R5 to have a - added to its rating, if not dropped to R4+ entirely.

Still, I like both of your examples, coinlover22. If I had to choose one, I'd take the first for its slightly better detail.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Is this a give away contest thingy.... image

I would be happy with either, but if you force me to choose, I like the look of the 2nd one.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which specimen do you prefer? And perhaps why?

The lower priced one, because I'm thrifty!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    #2 looks better
  • Options

<< <i>Is this variety still R5? I feel like I see them often compared to other R5's like 09-101 or 27-122 (just to name a couple). I suspect the O.113 will be the next R5 to have a - added to its rating, if not dropped to R4+ entirely.

Still, I like both of your examples, coinlover22. If I had to choose one, I'd take the first for its slightly better detail. >>

That's a can of worms right there, I suspect most if not all R5's would downgrade if a honest re-assessment were done.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is this variety still R5? I feel like I see them often compared to other R5's like 09-101 or 27-122 (just to name a couple). I suspect the O.113 will be the next R5 to have a - added to its rating, if not dropped to R4+ entirely.

Still, I like both of your examples, coinlover22. If I had to choose one, I'd take the first for its slightly better detail. >>

That's a can of worms right there, I suspect most if not all R5's would downgrade if a honest re-assessment were done. >>

An honest assessment is in the works...we will see where it lands, but I would tend to agree with Brian, it is not a very tough R-5.

QN

• Options

<< <i>

An honest assessment is in the works...we will see where it lands, but I would tend to agree with Brian, it is not a very tough R-5.

QN >>

That's kind of scary...a lot of variety collectors are going to go crackers when their R5+'s are downgraded to R5-
  • Options
    sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 415 ✭✭✭
    As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Why do I feel like the answers to this question will determine which coin gets the higher asking price on the BST? I'll pass.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To pick one would be to disparage the other. Sadly, I must therefore refrain from comment. image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the second one, since the appearance seems to reflect usage from commerce....rather than storage. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    #2 for me, it looks more real.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For eye appeal, definitely #2. Coin #1 has that cleaned scratchy look that just ruins a coin for me. Posters here...any sane person really, would prefer coin #1 over coin #2?

Tyler
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the one you had on ebay for $449.......
  • Options
    I'd do the guido...wonder what the edge says?
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    #1, I like LDS coins.
    BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not really a fan of either, but in answer to your question I'd probably pick coin #2 over coin #1.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a cool variety and tough, wherever it ends up on the rarity scale. I like #2. It looks a bit like mine. PCGS called it VG8 but I think that's conservative.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I like the first one image
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look like they were in a bezel.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1..like the guido though image
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the first one more---less wear.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji