Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Vintage Cars or Vintage Coins in 2015

2»

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I love coins and cars. My nostalgia is in coins. My need for speed resides in a 997.1 Turbo that does sub 3 0-60 image >>

Good thing you didn't go with a 996. Porsche guys will know whyimage >>

Had one. The improvements in 07 were in the stratosphere -- outside, inside and under ... image
    Doug
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I love coins and cars. My nostalgia is in coins. My need for speed resides in a 997.1 Turbo that does sub 3 0-60 image >>

Had one. The improvements in 07 were in the stratosphere -- outside, inside and under ... image >>

Did you encounter the dreaded IMS failure? Many a 996s found their way to the scrap pile after that debacle.

I don't think any will take the place of the 993. The last true 911.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with Roadrunner. The Gas fiasco is making it a Btch to own classic cars without a lot of expense not incurred in the previous decade.

This crap ethanol gas is a killer to the classics. Unfortunately I live in an area where no real gas is near. I had a coupke of 88 Vette convertibles with low miles...1 to drive...had 18,000 miles on it when I sent her on her way, and a loaded out Z-51 with 5,000 miles on the clock. The Z-51 cost me a chunk a change due to the ethanol bullsh*t. That's when I decided to let it go and forgo classic cars.

I sold my, what I consider the baddest street sleeper a couple of years ago due to the upkeep and possible major costs envolved in ownership. It was an E-55 Benz. I bought the car before I researched it....when I did I made a beeline to the dealership the next day and bought the extended warranty...the only time I have ever done so in my life! I didn't experience any of the High 4-5 figure castastrophies during the 4 years I owned it but the warranty more than paid for itself!

Now I drive a VW so I can buy more coins! image
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's either this or the Prius ...

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I want my '62 Corvette back and yes, I would sell coins to get it. >>

My favorite post so far.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Had one. The improvements in 07 were in the stratosphere -- outside, inside and under ... image >>

Did you encounter the dreaded IMS failure? Many a 996s found their way to the scrap pile after that debacle.

I don't think any will take the place of the 993. The last true 911. >>

Derek, the IMS problem was only with the air cooled 996's. The Turbos have a different engine, the M-56(?) commonly referred to the Metzger engine after it's designer. The Metzger engine is a derivative of a Porsche racing engine and has a dry oil sump with an external oil reservoir. 996 Turbos are a great value because they do not have the IMS issue.

This is a picture of my 996 Turbo-S on Independence Pass in Colorado, which is a great road for the car.

Car collecting is very much different than coin collecting in one significant respect, though. If I enhance the look of a coin I will be considered a Coin Doctor. I have had a lot of fun upgrading the turbos, adding a Fabspeed exhaust and cats, upgraded injectors, a custom tune that is programmable and an enhanced air intake manifold, and have increased the HP from 450 to about 800 (with 100+ octane gas). So the car now has more power than a GT2, and they both have the same block. Cars do offer the opportunity for improvement whereas coins must remain totally original. Maintenance of a car is understood as a necessary evil, and coins seem to occupy a different universe.

So call me a Car Doctor........

OINK
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I challenge any of you "race car" guys to a 1/4 mile run. I'll use my 1958 land rover. I get to choose WHERE we race. image
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've got several cars, but this one I've had the longest. Going on 25 years now.
    1972 El Camino SS-454 (a real one)
    image >>

Nice, bet it is a real torque monster.
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

1965 Falcon Convertible. 101 HP, 170 CID inline 6, 3 speed manual on the column, power steering, reverse lights. All stock except for a little head work.

It's so much fun to watch people's faces when they see you shift gears!!!
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    My toy

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

1965 Falcon Convertible. 101 HP, 170 CID inline 6, 3 speed manual on the column, power steering, reverse lights. All stock except for a little head work.

It's so much fun to watch people's faces when they see you shift gears!!! >>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Falcon brings back memories,,,,,, when I was real young, perhaps 7 - 10 yrs old my grandfather had Falcons. I can remember 3 or 4 sitting around at all times. One quit running he would buy another and scrounge parts off the retired cars whenever he could.

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Coins, cars and Guns, all three take a chuck of the income. Outgrew the 4 car garage and built a shop in 2014, decided I needed a car lift and found one, needed 2 more gun safes upstairs, added another safe for the coins while I was at it. The incedenatals really add up at times. My wife blames it on not having a lot growing up and I am making up for lost time.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

It's so much fun to watch people's faces when they see you shift gears!!! >>

I know what you mean, I had a 1964 Ford Ranchero with three-on-the-tree. I also had a 1963 1/2 Ford Falcon Convertible 260 V8 with four-on-the-floor. The one I really miss is my 1946 Ford Woody Super Deluxe with a flathead V8.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had this for 14+ years, not going anywhere and has been driven all of 3000 miles in the past 4-5 years. Doors off therapy works wonders. Was my daily driver for about 9 years.

For my day-to-day commuting purposes I roll a hemi.

This year I need to work on my seated and CBH roll projects.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My 1958 Land Rover Series II. image >>

way cool, i always liked these .
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've got several cars, but this one I've had the longest. Going on 25 years now.
    1972 El Camino SS-454 (a real one)
    image >>

Nice, bet it is a real torque monster. >>

Thanks, yes it is image Original LS5 454, TH-400 (shifter on the console), 3:31 positraction. Also has A/C, in-dash tachometer & gauges, power door locks.

Here is another one I have:
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got cars out of my system quite a few years ago, thank goodness. But it took about a dozen various 1960s Corvettes and convertibles to get there.

I'm now a dyed-in-the-wool fan of high reliability and low upkeep. My company car is a 1998 Ford F-150 pickup with 250,000 miles that I picked out as a demo and has always been amazingly well behaved, and my wife has a 2007 Honda Accord. I want to buy the truck when I retire.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You make an interesting point....no one has been killed by their coin image >>

Unless they choked on one. image >>

Or accidentally drank the cleaning solution.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file