Home U.S. Coin Forum

Vintage Cars or Vintage Coins in 2015

OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some of us have a passion for both cars and coins. I have owned a few cars that I regretted selling, and I have never sold one coin. So, maybe I love my coins more, probably because they require so little maintenance. But I spent a few hours this evening watching the Mecum Auction in Monterrey, CA and find close parallels to cars and coins. Most everything went for +/- $100K, and for the most part I would never pay $100K for an old Vette, but there was this 1928 Packard that went for about $80K that would have looked spectacular in my garage. Nice thing about cars is that you don't have to hide them in your safe deposit box.

Sooo, what do you drive to the bank to view your coins???? I drive my Porsche 2005 Turbo-S Cabriolet and only see my coins when the weather is very nice.....

OINK

Comments

• GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Maybe keep some dry powder until we see how 2015 pans out.

Out of the Cs maybe cash will be better than coins or cars for the time being. image
    Ed
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Falling gasoline prices won't hurt the values of classic cars.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    if i had the $$$
    i'd be riding a 1923 henderson ace
    driving a ford fairlane thunderbolt with that precious cammer under tha hood

but i don't have $$$
    so i drive a 1994 xfi geo past many more gas stations then most other drivers image

the ones i miss...1st that bike
    at 16 hanging on for dear life on my 1969 kawasaki H1 500 mach3 blowing anything i wanted off the street and running from cops
    of course my avatar bike too
    84 honda cr500r...what a desert beast that was...gotta love those 2smokers
    i had 70 horsey's in a 210lb bike...i definitely acquired some manhood on it...loved my hare n hounds and grandprix racing image

2nd my cars
    my 66 galaxie 500xl that was custom ordered with 1st year 428 option...2 door...aqua metal flake with white landau top
    whomever custom ordered that 66...ordered it with all top of the line options offered...including that C6 which stole some 40% of those horsey's
    (mind you...in 66' they offered a 7 liter model ) which mine was with 500xl labels was all

my 66 malibu wagon was a sweet one too...had a dealer optioned power sunroof roof in it
    my ex laffed her butt off seeing me buy a car i had to tow home...swapped cyl heads and one week later that lil 283 ran like a champ

dad rolled home in his 71 sc/rambler he got for $25 as it quit running on some guy who dad stopped to help right
    guy was disgusted and told dad...give me whatever is in your wallet and a ride home and i'll sign the title to ya
    dad went back and here the exhaust choke valve got stuck was all

he let me drive it here n there...man was that a sweet ride...driving that 71 rambler scrambler
    i could lift the front end and lay rubber in all 4 gears with that 391 screaming coupled to that borg super T10 with dana 4:88 gears spinning those axles

by the way
    dad's friend was #2 antique motorcycle collector on the west coast (a retired indian dealership owner from the 40's)
    steve mcqueen used to hound him to sell one of his henderson aces...but ol norris laffed at steve's beggings

he had me start a 1903 marsh to win oldest unrestored running at la mirada one year
    with guys on each side of this bike with fire-extinguishers
    the judges came...gas was poured in a rusted leaking tank and i kicked that beauty to life
    amazing experience

i don't know how coins acquired the lead over gears in my life
    never bought me an ace...maybe before i die...that dream will become reality

to own and ride a henderson ace or a ford thunderbolt with a 427 cammer in it image

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough one.

I sold some of my better registry coins to buy a 1957 Chey Nomad. Now my choices for my disposable income is split between coins and getting the Nomad in shape to drive. I have a ton of new parts for it as well as an original dual quad setup for it...including the bathing air filter.
    it's hard being torn between the 2.
    Maybe 50-50 this year. The Nomad will just take a little more time. Besides, it a bit cold in the garage and the coin show on Sunday is in a heated hall.
    George
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like what you're saying lasvegasteddy. image

Personally I'd prefer one of these:

1970 AAR Cuda

I was able to purchase an early classic coin:

• NapNap Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins are just so much easier to store. When I bring one home my wife doesn't give me the eye about where I'm gonna put it.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've driven Studebakers since age 17. They are wholesome, simple, efficient and interesting vehicles. Parts support is top notch and they are in today's world still a great transportation car. About three years ago, after a (yes) 40 year search I finally made a capture and purchase. It took nineteen of my slabbed gold dollars to buy this car. Less that 600 were built, and current research within the Studebaker Drivers Club shows 36 known today. Only 20 of these are liscenced and on the road. I think mine ranks in the top 5 condition wise, and is the ONLY one with the beautiful color combo of red, white top and red/black interior. With her stock 283 engine she is a delightful ride. With 70k miles I'm trying to make her serve me for the rest of my life. 1966 Studebaker Daytona Sports Sedan (R6 rarity , MS66 condition) image
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I have owned 9 Corvettes from 1956 to 2005 and wish I had all of them back. I have owned almost every rare or super rare Canadian coin and about 75 rare US coins and sold all the cars. I only have some of the US coins and will never sell any of them again. Also had a superb 1965 SC Porsche and a 1988 Turbo, both long gone. I had a Classic Car Audio business for 31 years and I sold it and finally made a profit. Now I have my Roosevelt dime collection and the only one who will profit from is my wife or whoever gets it when I am gone. I now realize it does no good to cry about it as they say yesterday is gone.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I drive a 2011 Cadillac DTS. Yes, I know, "The old man's car." image

My wife drives 2011 CTS with the 3.6 V-6 engine that is supposed to have more horsepower. My DTS can run circles around it when it comes to pulling out on the freeway because it's North Star V-8 engine has more torque. The DTS is also smoother driving and has more comfortable seating. And to top thing off the gas mileage is about the same on the freeway at 70 MPH. image

I have not owned a sports care since I owned a 1973 Javelin which I bought new when I was in my 20s. Last summer I drove a Mustang as a rental car, and I was impressed with it. The only problem is, you don't get much trunk room, and given my current obligations with my elderly in-laws, I really need the space.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    The good news is in the warm months I like to take my ride to coin shows! The bad news is in southeastern Wisconsin that only seems to be about a month and a half.

I can enjoy coins all year long; however, this time of year I only see the car when I go out to the cold garage.

I purchased the '69 Chevelle in 1985 with 99,000 miles on it. Now it has 155,000. If I lived in a warm climate it would probably have a lot more miles... I rebuilt the motor, dumped the powerglide, and put in a 4 Speed. (I also have a 1978 Nova which I ordered the way I wanted it V8, 4 Speed, and some other goodies.) My cars are all sticks which includes my daily driver 2000 Mercury Cougar. And, yes of course a Mercury Dime Collector must drive a Mercury. image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold my entire collection a number of years back to buy this. I have no idea who the beautiful girl is. When I was taking pics of the car she
    volunteered to jump in for a few shots. The car gods were smiling upon me that day. image

Past rides include many more Mustangs and a '72 GTO, last year of the classic body style.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only car I ever really cared about, i left with a friend when I went in the Army in '76. It was gone when I got home in '79.
    I miss that 1968 Olds 442 (modern junk)
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Only car I ever really cared about, i left with a friend when I went in the Army in '76. It was gone when I got home in '79.
    I miss that 1968 Olds 442 (modern junk) >>

I thought that the Olds 442 was now sort of a collectors' item. It was one of the muscle cars of the '70s. The biggest problem with them was that the owners drive the hell out of them when they were new. image

I buy books on collector cars and read about them, but I'd never own one. I can't do my own repair work, and I have no place to store them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

<< <i>

<< <i>Only car I ever really cared about, i left with a friend when I went in the Army in '76. It was gone when I got home in '79.
    I miss that 1968 Olds 442 (modern junk) >>

I thought that the Olds 442 was now sort of a collectors' item. It was one of the muscle cars of the '70s. The biggest problem with them was that the owners drive the hell out of them when they were new. image >>

The previous owner had the motor rebuilt for the quarter mile drag. Ran low 12's Not that fast… I did get from 0-70 in the first 2 gears in a few seconds on the street , once.
  • MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Like many here, I love both vintage cars and vintage coins. But I learned long ago that for the price of just one classic car I can own many interesting half dimes. The issues of storage space, maintenance, and others also make owning coins instead of cars a more appealing option. One other difference between the two makes the coins an even better option. While we in numismatics have coin shows to sell coins, those in the classic car hobby have car shows in which to showcase their cars for others to see and appreciate; the emphasis is not on the purchase and sale of the cars at a car show. By attending several local car shows each year, I am able to get my classic car 'fix' without dropping huge funds just to own one. It works for me.

For those interested in a really comprehensive classic car collection, check out this private collection in Maine.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • If i'm not at the coin shop or a coin show, you will find me at a Car show or a cruise-in..
    I have 3 corvettes, one I drive , one i race and this one i take to shows :-)

Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
    Check This out

<< <i>Check This out >>

Now that's really what "vintage" is image Different than classic, or muscle..
    It IS über cool and with my workshop only 5 blocks from home...I don't drive too far. But the thought of crossing the 4 lane US RT30 is a bit terrifying. I done if a few times in a 1917 Model T depot hack and that was scary.
    Car Shows are a Hoot! Big danger in my area is after you back in real nice and get out to stretch your legs the a**hole who drives the AMC fake cop car pulls in next to you and powers up the top lights and the nonending carefully spliced (did I say nonending) loop of "One Adam Twelve see the man blah blah blah..," and he runs this dam setup for four frikkin hoursimage ...and you don't see HIM! He wanders off with his crooze buddies... I've actuually watched some other car owners angrily driving off pre or early show after this portable noise pollution unit makes its unwanted appearance. But...when you complain it's always the same" Well Bob is a founding member blah blah blah and the KIDS love it snd it's a big crowd pleaser. Of course THEY don't have to listen to it for four hours.

<< <i>Car Shows are a Hoot! Big danger in my area is after you back in real nice and get out to stretch your legs the a**hole who drives the AMC fake cop car pulls in next to you and powers up the top lights and the nonending carefully spliced (did I say nonending) loop of "One Adam Twelve see the man blah blah blah..," and he runs this dam setup for four frikkin hoursimage ...and you don't see HIM! He wanders off with his crooze buddies... I've actuually watched some other car owners angrily driving off pre or early show after this portable noise pollution unit makes its unwanted appearance. But...when you complain it's always the same" Well Bob is a founding member blah blah blah and the KIDS love it snd it's a big crowd pleaser. Of course THEY don't have to listen to it for four hours. >>

I've seen things like that before. It's insanely annoying.

• I want my '62 Corvette back and yes, I would sell coins to get it.
    “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”
    ¯ Richard P. Feynman
    One of my friends is the president of the Omaha Coin Club
    Another is the secretary for the Omaha VW Club.
    One posts great stories and trips around the country in those "vintage" beasts.
    The other keeps us updated on those vintage beasts. LOL
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Actually my Wife's looking for a certain year vette for me, b'day or other holiday, even though I'm not supposed to know that image

Started in cars years before going full time in coins.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've driven Studebakers since age 17. They are wholesome, simple, efficient and interesting vehicles. Parts support is top notch and they are in today's world still a great transportation car. About three years ago, after a (yes) 40 year search I finally made a capture and purchase. It took nineteen of my slabbed gold dollars to buy this car. Less that 600 were built, and current research within the Studebaker Drivers Club shows 36 known today. Only 20 of these are liscenced and on the road. I think mine ranks in the top 5 condition wise, and is the ONLY one with the beautiful color combo of red, white top and red/black interior. With her stock 283 engine she is a delightful ride. With 70k miles I'm trying to make her serve me for the rest of my life. 1966 Studebaker Daytona Sports Sedan (R6 rarity , MS66 condition) image >>

I really like the Studebaker Hawks myself, would love to own one. Not sure why I like a car from way before my time, but the body styles on the Studebakers were top notch. Your vehicle was built in Canada, all production after 1962-3 was in Ontario and very few units were delivered especially in the last years of production.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • This one I race on a 1/4 mile track, 12.9 sec at 108 mph :-)

Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As most of you probably know, personal space craft are really getting ready to "Take Off" image.
    I've been holding off bidding up many of the "Big Boy" coins that have been hitting the market the last few years, to make sure I have plenty of available "Skrilla" when the time comes to make my move.
    I'm pretty sure 2015 is gonna be the year, I'm just having a tough time making up my mind if I want something like the Mellinium Falcon (family to consider) or a way more
    " Bad A** " ride, and go for the X- Wing ?
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if I could afford to spend $10M on a coin I'd probably rather own 50 showroom quality restored 1967-68 Shelby Mustangs.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I sold all of my cars when my neighborhood demographics turned illegal. The cars became a liability so fast it was a race to sell before more vandalism could happen. That happened at the peak of the housing boom. I was part of a great white flight that exited a once great neighborhood in a simple two years time. I recall being very disappointed in some buyers tactics for a deal. That turned me off on collecting cars for good. I do miss the cars, I miss the easy drives on empty roads, the bark of rubber on road by many cubes doing what they were made for. Two minutes on the road nowadays dodging texters, or seeing some punk key every car they walk by brings me back to reality.

I drive a 92 Caravan with a lowered floor. Hauls a lot, easy to drive, 25mpg, and truly looks like it's not worth stealing or vandalizing. The perfect car for my area. Two more years and I'll register as a classic. No more emissions after that and I can do as I please with the power-train. Maybe I'll turn it into a sleeper..
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my 1968 Shelby GT500.

Arrest Me Red, Factory Color, 428 Police Interceptor Engine, 4 Speed.

Also have a 1930 Ford Model A, first car I ever owned, still have it, drove it in high school before Uncle Sam figured out my draft number was 18.

Shelby
    My 1958 Land Rover Series II. image
    Do you still have that Land Rover?

Yup. Bring on Winter!!
    Nice!!

• MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    After I got married I found it easier to pull off buying cars than coins.
    I bought this just for kicks.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first car was a '55 Bird. A freakin' death trap.
    Nader should correct himself.
    My sis had a '54 Vette. Another piece of garbage.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Falling gasoline prices won't hurt the values of classic cars. >>

But the eventual phasing out of gasoline could seriously hurt collector car values.

I collected 1968-1970 muscle Mopars from 1991-2004.....had to do something while the coin market was in the toilet for most of those years. Had 9 different cars the best of which was a red 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T with the 440 six barrel carb setup....all factory stock. That particular car increased in price from $20K in 1996 to $95K in 2007....without hardly doing a thing to it except driving it. One could say nice muscle cars did quite well for themselves in that period. And you didn't have to leave them in the safe deposit box either. I drove them 2x to 3X per week weather permitting. The car market is still trying to sort itself out from the 2008-2011 crash (just like coins). There has a been a bounce effect of sorts but for the most part prices are well off their 2007 highs.......the Challenger above is a $60K to $65K car today. Both the coin and car markets are dependent on what the general economy is doing and how much excess spending cash collectors have. Both markets have seen nice original specimens and the very top 5% of the market continue to do ok. But the middle 80% is very sluggish where liquidity is still poor. I don't see huge changes in 2015 unless inflation starts to ramp up again. Just like with coins, if you want to buy a classic car, condition/quality-originality-eye appeal-attention to details, pedigree/ownership history, options, etc. all matter.

The amount of shilling and games in car auctions probably dwarfs what we see in coins. I wouldn't hang your hat on any price you see realized on a TV auction unless you personally know the buyer and that they actually forked over the cash. There are Vettes worth well over $100K and others from the mid-1960's that might be a tough sell in the $30's to $40's. The 1967-1969 L88 Vettes have fetched from $200K to $700K in the past several years. While we often say no two coins are alike, in reality they are nearly are if assigned the same grade and look somewhat similar. But 2 cars with the same color/model year/general condition are often vastly different in value based on those factors listed above. Most classic cars being offered for sale are just traps waiting to be sprung. Not like we haven't seen that in coins either.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    You make an interesting point....no one has been killed by their coin image
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got several cars, but this one I've had the longest. Going on 25 years now.
    1972 El Camino SS-454 (a real one)

<< <i>You make an interesting point....no one has been killed by their coin image >>

Unless they choked on one. image

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes please.

Many happy BST transactions
  • fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weekend morning and dream cruise summer driver: 327/340 bone stock - original family owned
    Summer daily driver: CLS55 (not my pic but it's stock and looks identical)
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of both worlds.. I just can't park them at any coin shows.

Hoard the keys.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    You should submit that Vet for grading.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

Not mine image

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

As we see things like the 1928 Packard have become White Elephants. Classics have seen interests fall as Their collectors age. The Hot Rod is slowly dying too, as the Greasers age. The Muscle boys and Vette guys dominate now. Trends advance and trends decline. Now, I will challenge you...find a GM car with the door handle in the window frame...like a Chevy Beretta...still on the Road. Look for a silver Coin in change Let me know which you find first.
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love coins and cars. My nostalgia is in coins. My need for speed resides in a 997.1 Turbo that does sub 3 0-60 image
    Doug
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love coins and cars. My nostalgia is in coins. My need for speed resides in a 997.1 Turbo that does sub 3 0-60 image >>

Good thing you didn't go with a 996. Porsche guys will know whyimage
    Derek

EAC 6024

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file