Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Libertas americana bronze

Hi, I'm Kate and I'm new to the forum and interested in collecting coins/medals.

I am looking at a bronze Linertas Americana medal. The seller is asking $450 but I have no idea what year it was made as a restrike, or possibly an original (wishful thinking), and I was wondering if there are any factors to help identify its authenticity and year? Also, what would be a good price for a 19th century bronze restrike? I have pictures I can post if that will help.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kate

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been numerous re-strikes by the Paris Mint over the years and I believe most were issued a c.o.a's.

below is an old thread from 2007 (last restrike) with pictures and info. it may help.

2007 libertas thread
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Kate. The Paris Mint made some bronze restrikes in 2006 and $450 sounds high for that issue, but a pic would help clarify things.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    That looks like an original but the price seems too good to be true. So possibly an electrotype?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>[url=http://www.radikal.ru]image[/url]

[url=http://www.radikal.ru]image[/url] >>

Welcome Kate!

Due to the softness of the lettering and the designs compared to an original striking (or a restrike, for that matter), I would say that those images depict a cast copy.

Possibly it is an electrotype copy, but I think it is simply a cast copy.

If that is the case, the value of that item would be closer to $25-$50 retail as a novelty rather than $450.

Hope this helps.

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>That looks like an original but the price seems too good to be true. So possibly an electrotype? >>

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That image does not have the right "look" to me but danged if I can explain why.
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for clarification !
    I am so glad I found this forum 👍
  • Options
    What would also be a good price for 2005 bronze restrike ?
    Thank you!
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Kate & Welcome, you have come to the right place image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Kate,

A price of $450 is WAY too little an ORIGINAL, genuine Libertas Americana medal in bronze. Here is an example of the original medal, which in my collection. This piece is worth somewhere in neighborhood of $12,000.

imageimage

The piece that you are considering looks like a fairly well preserved electrotype of the original medal. An electrotype is gray with a thin coating of copper on the top. Quite often there is a hole in coating which shows the gray metal that is under that. The $450 price is high for an electrotype. I think they sell for more like $225 to $325 depending on how nice they are.

I am having trouble remembering the price for a modern Paris Mint copy of the Libertas Americana medal. The number $150 sticks in my brain but for the bronze it could have been $65. I know that when I was looking at them at a show that a silver copy was available as well, which may have had the $150 price tag. There is also a gold copy that sells for $3,000 or more depending upon the price of gold bullion.

The modern bronze Libertas Americana medal has a subdued, but not matte, coppery surface. I think that it is a little smaller than the original, but I could be off on that. The trouble is when I am at a show and looking at something that interests me mildly, my memory is not precise.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the forum, Kate!!

please open your PM function and get ahold of Dorkgirl and coinsarefun, two W.I.N.ners who are active at this site and they should be able to help you learn how to navigate this male-dominated Hobby and web-site. heck, it can be treacherous for a guy!!image
  • Options
    The 2006 Bronze Restrike sold for about $50, and the subsequent price range for it has been between $50 and $92.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is hard to say from the pictures, but that does not look like a genuine and original piece. I would suggest that you pass on it.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I bought the Silver & Bronze restrikes , wow was it really back in 2006, I guess so, sounds about right. I vaguely
    remember paying around $50 & $150 for these.

Haven't seen them in years so I'll need to dig them out. They look cool in the pics. Guess its fun being a hoarder
    after all? Finding these will be like treasure hunting.

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought the Silver & Bronze restrikes , wow was it really back in 2006, I guess so, sounds about right. I vaguely
    remember paying around $50 & $150 for these.

Haven't seen them in years so I'll need to dig them out. They look cool in the pics. Guess its fun being a hoarder
    after all? Finding these will be like treasure hunting.

image >>

WoW . . . I had completely forgotten that I bought 1 of each back around '06/'07 & stuck'em somewhere in the ol'safe.

Are these things even worth issue price now? Although I can't remember what Talisman charged for them . . .

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey image to school! You'll learn many various subjects in coins and even ethics. Congrats. on choosing this particular forum, you've made a good choice. I must say the coins that your interested in is out of the ordinarily. but at the same time, those coins are very interesting! Have fun and stay with us.image once again.-joey

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Can someone tell me where is the PM button in this forum ?
    I am looking everywhere
    I must be blind 😁
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Karlson...go to your profile (upper right corner of the page) and look for the allow private messages. Click ON and save.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FYI: if you are still looking there is a bronze restrike one going off on Ebay tonight
    PS turn on your PMimage
  • Options
    I sold a restrike on ebay for 350.00 buy it now about 2 months ago in less then 24 hours. If that helps
  • Options
    I sold a restrike on ebay for 350.00 buy it now about 2 months ago in less then 24 hours. If that helps

I believe that was a 1983 Bronze Restrike, 3" in diameter I believe. $350 was a good price.

The 2006 Bronze issues were only 47mm diameter, which the one I have. Nice piece tho'.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Kate!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file