Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1970 Topps Cello Rip - Poppage

13»

Comments

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    I agree that the Rose is extremely sharp!
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sharp Rose, if a bit OC. T/B centering is perfect, too. How much does a 9ocbox command? >>

PSA 9 oc is about $60 and up... But a 10 is probably $5,000... Oh the centering image
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for a fine rip image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>I agree that the Rose is extremely sharp! >>

+1
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the entertaining rip. Goes to show that you're usually reliant on one or two cards in the pack being nicely centered. My '71 rack would have been a bust had not the Rose been decently centered and graded an 8.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    It's been a ton of fun watching this rip the last couple (few?) days. Beautiful cards and very entertaining. Thanks for sharing.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nikklos - Thanks for the rip. If it was me, I'd have to look in front of the Ruiz card first thing. (Also, the whole pack would be viewed in about 30 seconds - don't know how you have the will power to make it last). Nice cards!!
    Daniel
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys - Believe me, if I had looked at the Rose first, there wouldn't have been any thread!

That said, there are some very sharp cards in the pack. Below are some better scans of what I am thinking of submitting (besides the Rose). Shannon, in particular, is a Pop 0 PSA 10 and this one is real sharp.

Nikklos
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭
    Very very nice. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck on the sub!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Just curious why there were doubles of the cards preceding the Rose but not the Rose itself. Is that because there are multiple Lefebvre's and Sutherland's on the sheet and not the Rose?
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just curious why there were doubles of the cards preceding the Rose but not the Rose itself. Is that because there are multiple Lefebvre's and Sutherland's on the sheet and not the Rose? >>

No, each card in the 6th series was printed 3 times in blocks of 44 cards (excludes the 6th series CL of course, printed in series 5 as well).

the left half of the 264 card sheet had Willie Mays, Ernie Banks and Don Sutton. The right half had Catfish, Cepeda and Rose.

22 of the 33 cards came from the Rose half in about 4 seperate sequences so basically just the luck of the draw. In 1970 timmy jones probably opened the pack that had 2 roses and 2 Catfish image

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just curious why there were doubles of the cards preceding the Rose but not the Rose itself. Is that because there are multiple Lefebvre's and Sutherland's on the sheet and not the Rose? >>

No, each card in the 6th series printed 3 times in blocks of 44 cards (excludes the 6th series CL of course, printed in series 5 as well).

the left half of the 264 card sheet had Willie Mays, Ernie Banks and Don Sutton. The right half had Catfish, Cepeda and Rose. >>

I think the question John is asking though is why there were duplicates of the cards leading to Rose but not of the Rose itself.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>

No, each card in the 6th series printed 3 times in blocks of 44 cards (excludes the 6th series CL of course, printed in series 5 as well).

the left half of the 264 card sheet had Willie Mays, Ernie Banks and Don Sutton. The right half had Catfish, Cepeda and Rose. >>

Hmm, too confusing. So I guess you can only predict the sequence after seeing a few cards to determine which sheet they're from. I can see why it's not an exact science.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭
    Plus, in this cello, one of the sequences jumped about four cards in. I'm tempted to try my luck too, but at the moment, I'm too scared that:

1. If the money card is the next card from the wrapper that there might be corner problems, and
    2. If the money card is seven or eight cards into the sequence, the sequence might jump before it gets there.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think the question John is asking though is why there were duplicates of the cards leading to Rose but not of the Rose itself. >>

I updated my post above, at work but I think I counted 4 different sequences for the middle 11 cards and the last 11 cards. Usually only 2 sequences and you can never predict the middle 11 since you cant see top or bottom card of that run.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    I'm glad there's variability. Otherwise there'd be no surprise with unopened packs. Even the wax packs could be figured out if the back card can be seen. I think the best thing about sequencing is that you can use it as another confirmation of fake packs since most resealers wouldn't bother to follow the sequence and would definitely pull the stars from where they should be.
  • Options
    I thought that there was only one Rose and two of everything else because it was me opening the pack.

And also why on earth couldn't Jim Lefebvre have had a career like Pete Rose? I'd be money right now.

And for the record, I am dropping the Red Sox team card from subbing consideration.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing the rip. Some nice cards, with mostly decent centering.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Absolutely Great Thread ..... Thanks Very Much For Sharing It With All Of Us!
  • Options

<< <i>I thought that there was only one Rose and two of everything else because it was me opening the pack.

And also why on earth couldn't Jim Lefebvre have had a career like Pete Rose? I'd be money right now.

And for the record, I am dropping the Red Sox team card from subbing consideration. >>

Right, but if Lefebvre had a career like Rose, you would have only gotten one O/C Lefebvre then. That's how that luck works. Funny thing is I actually needed the Lefebvre in 8 or better for my set until very recently.
  • Options
    Sequencing can definitely vary, more so with wax in my experience, than with racks and cellos~racks seem to often the truest runs of cards and it is not uncommon to find the same card on both top and bottom of a cell in a rack pack--in the three 79 racks that I have with Reggie J. on top Steve Garvey is on back.

• Options
    double post

• Options
    Thought I'd sub the Gibson and Ryan for kicks. A Parker 8(st) no longer has one. Wanted better on the Shannon and the Lefebvres. Grr

1 1 23041800 POOR 1 1959 Topps 514 Bob Gibson Card
    2 1 23041801 POOR 1 1968 Topps 177 Mets Rookies J.Koosman/N.Ryan Card
    3 1 23041802 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1970 Topps 554 Tom Timmermann Card
    4 1 23041803 NEAR MINT 7 1970 Topps 565 Jim Hunter Card
    5 1 23041804 NEAR MINT 7 1970 Topps 553 Jim Lefebvre Card
    5 2 23041805 MINT 9 1970 Topps 553 Jim Lefebvre Card
    6 1 23041806 NEAR MINT+ 7.5 1970 Topps 602 Ted Savage Card
    7 1 23041807 MINT 9 1970 Topps 614 Mike Shannon Card
    8 1 23041808 NEAR MINT 7 1970 Topps 605 Rick Wise Card
    9 1 23041809 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1970 Topps 680 Rico Petrocelli Card
    10 1 23041810 MINT 9 1970 Topps 582 Mike Paul Card
    11 1 23041811 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1974 Topps 252 Dave Parker Card
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Still some nice grades in there, Chris!

• Options
    As a sox fan I'm digging that petrocelli 8.5 !!