Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The coins are safe, I hope the people are as well.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Been a difficult 8 days out here where I live. I am not anxious for the sun to set.

We have had 8 theft/burglary's/home invasions since April 28.

Lady living below me was hit last week while out of town and an older man in the building suffered a home invasion early yesterday while he slept.

Good news is, the guy, or perhaps lead guy was arrested on Monday. Problem is he was bailed out this morning. The older neighbor said he received a call today stating that the perp was on the streets, but had to stay away from the victim. WTH.

Cops are offerering no added security nor is the property owner. We have several disabled and elderly folks here, so I guess I will be the eyes and ears for a few nights....

Sorry if I got off topic, but wish me well.

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is some scary stuff. Stay safe and be alert.
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭
    I do wish you well...................... Stay safe!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So where is "out here where I live?"

Hope all goes well.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

<< <i>So where is "out here where I live?"

Hope all goes well. >>

Tucson AZ.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fires raging just southeast of here (Encinitas).

STAY SAFE!
    (And, if your coins are in a fire proof safe, take them out- they're not protected within and will be damaged due to the moisture.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's one of the main reasons I keep my .44 magnum, my .45/410 derringer, and my wifes 9mm loaded at all times. Too many ballsy criminals out there that seem to have no value for life. There will be no second guessing of what will happen should someone invades my home!!!!
  • Options
    ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in Paris watching CBS 8 live as the fire went just south of us in Del Sur and headed west to Rancho Santa Fe where the big money house are located.
    My wife did a great job and got the kids, dog, computer and some of my high end coins and evacuated to Carlsbad.
    Hope all is well with everyone else!
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    holy cow, take care of yourself..
    figglehorn
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy crow glick, where do you live? Detroit?

I recommend a 12 gauge Remington 1180 with the shortest legal barrel loaded with bird shot. Semi-auto and the bird loads are faster and easier to handle. You can pepper the daylights out of them.

Buckshot vs Birdshot

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And just how do you plan on protecting yourself and the tenants?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Buy yourself a gun and invest in some training on how to use it.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Options
    i recommend a much simpler option purchases a cheap used security system, have all your neighboring tenants chip in on it so it will be cheaper, make the main door to the building pass code entry only, if the code is not provided or the door is smashed the alarm will alert the whole building. Also i would recommend a simple 9mm berretta hand gun or a 12 gauge for self defense, shoot to maim not kill.
    Successful Sales on this forum to:erickso1
  • Options

<< <i>i recommend a much simpler option purchases a cheap used security system, have all your neighboring tenants chip in on it so it will be cheaper, make the main door to the building pass code entry only, if the code is not provided or the door is smashed the alarm will alert the whole building. Also i would recommend a simple 9mm berretta hand gun or a 12 gauge for self defense, shoot to maim not kill. >>

Shoot to maim?? And have a revengefull excon looking you up in a couple years? End the process now and no worries later. Once most burglars here of one of thier own getting killed during a burglary in a certain area, they will steer clear of that area. As a vetern here, I didn't have a problem with putting myself in the position to protect my country, I definately won't hesitate to protect my family and home!
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds tough out there.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i> shoot to maim not kill. >>

classic gibberish...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shoot to stop. That means center mass or central nervous system. Keep shooting until they stop. If you're not thinking this way, you have no business defending yourself with a firearm.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the concern. With luck, getting collared yesterday will wise him up enough to stay away.

I am far from a security pro, but I am prepared to protect myself should an imminent and lethal threat be presented.
  • Options

<< <i>Shoot to stop. That means center mass or central nervous system. Keep shooting until they stop. If you're not thinking this way, you have no business defending yourself with a firearm. >>

Riiiiight.
    These off topic gun happy self defense threads always quickly become stoopid. Double O.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    These days if you think Cops will protect you , chances are , your luck will run out one day.

Best to get a couple cannons, get trained, get licenced and get ready to defend yourself from those
    that value their fix over your life.

But keep in mind that society doesnt need any more George Zimmermans trying to find a confrontation.
    A person needs legal training, firearms training, and attitude training.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like this at all MG.
    Life is hard enough without having this type of garbage piled on top.
    Take care.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Shoot to stop. That means center mass or central nervous system. Keep shooting until they stop. If you're not thinking this way, you have no business defending yourself with a firearm. >>

1st Rule of Firearms: Never point a gun at someone unless you intend to kill them.
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103

<< <i>

Riiiiight.
    These off topic gun happy self defense threads always quickly become stoopid. Double O. >>

Actually he's right. A lot of states if you shoot to only wound, like say in the knees, you can not only be charged but can be sued as well.

And dead men tell no tales. Thankfully my state has the castle doctrine. I'd never want to take a life but if it's me or them...well...sorry .
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too wish you well. Sometimes life is tough. I wish you all the best and be safe.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Riiiiight.
    These off topic gun happy self defense threads always quickly become stoopid. Double O. >>

Actually he's right. A lot of states if you shoot to only wound, like say in the knees, you can not only be charged but can be sued as well.

And dead men tell no tales. Thankfully my state has the castle doctrine. I'd never want to take a life but if it's me or them...well...sorry . >>

I think that you missed my point. I should have just posted an eye roll emoticon or the classic: image

Many members here have a fascination with what they'd do in a life and death scenario and are eager to give advice despite a complete lack of experience.

Many others perpetually feel under siege even when they're safe and sound. And then when they hear about something bad happening to someone else they'll be the first to tell you that they told you so.

Others are just legitimately nuts.

Now someone post a gun pic already!.....
  • Options
    So far...so good.

Just spoke to a young lady that moved in next door to me this afternoon. She had not been told of the crimes. Would have been nice of the manager to give her a heads up.

Another neighbor told me that the perp had been spotted on the grounds earlier today.

Trying to work up an appropriate level of fear. Instead I am just frustrated and tired.

Be back in the AM.
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    MG , We're going to have to meet up one day, lets arrange to meet at Tucson coin show, I like your style

" YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Red Flag--Time to move to an area of town where their are safer digs.

Krueger

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look, I agree that the isn't the right forum to discuss self-defense tactics & firearms. Usually I stay clear of making comments about such topics here as it usually devolves into a useless discussion. That said, when someone says something idiotic like "Shoot to maim" that sort of dangerous nonsense needs to be corrected. Such a notion is far worse than just leaving the gun at home.

The ability to correctly assess a threating situation, make a conscious decision to apply deadly force, and effectively carry out the action is one that demands considerable training (or luck) to pull off. In a life-threatening situation, when applying lethal force is your ONLY option, the one who brings maximum violence to bear in the shortest amount of time is the one who will walk away. In such a situation the would-be victim will be experiencing lifetime-maximum levels of stress & adrenaline. Trying to "wing" someone in this setting requires a level of precision that most shooters can't manage under ideal circumstances.

Am I the world authority on this? Heck no, but I'm certain I've been through more training than 95% of gun owners. I still would look for every available opportunity to flee, hide, diffuse the situation, or otherwise avoid a confrontation. If a shooting situation did arise, I'd feel darn lucky if I survived it. If you rely on others to protect you, fine. If you carry or use a firearm do yourself (and everyone else) a favor and become well trained in its use from actual experts. Develop a certain level of proficiency & then train regularly to maintain it.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I used to live on a steep hillside community, that was so steep, the county would not accept the road thru it, because it was too steep, so the Sheriff Department did not patrol regularly. Wouldn't you believe, one day while I was at work, some dumb SOB and his friend decided to rip me off. They took all of my things of value, including all my clothing of value, and took off. Dumb SOBs forgot to look into the floor air input vents for the heating and air conditioning. That is where I had all my coin collection of thirty years, stuffed into black plastic bags. Thank you Lord.

These days, I protect myself and my wife with full house alarms, and firearms stashed all around the house. My coin collection is safe in the bank, so no worries there. I learned to shoot decades ago, and I am a proud NRA member.

I do not look forward to moving to a multiple person dwelling, due to age. >>

Edited to speak to BryceM, I do believe in the right to carry concealed weapons, and I suggest more people take advantage of this option. Learning from the Concealed Carry class is most important, and the actual shooting course is mandatory.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Riiiiight.

And dead men tell no tales. Thankfully my state has the castle doctrine. I'd never want to take a life but if it's me or them...well...sorry . >>

I think that you missed my point. I should have just posted an eye roll emoticon or the classic: image

Many members here have a fascination with what they'd do in a life and death scenario and are eager to give advice despite a complete lack of experience.

Many others perpetually feel under siege even when they're safe and sound. And then when they hear about something bad happening to someone else they'll be the first to tell you that they told you so.

Others are just legitimately nuts.

Now someone post a gun pic already!..... >>

So true. And what do they do when they leave their house or go to sleep? How many of these shoot-first, home commandos get awakened at gunpoint and get robbed silly? You want to increase your security? Don't buy another gun. Buy a dog!
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...I've been drinkin' a bit and I just had my 2nd daughter hit the earth 4 days ago....so I'm gonna talk some truth. I own a lot of guns....A LOT. MG, I feel your pain and I am praying for you and yours. To those that say overkill is good when it come to weapons....piss off I say. The OP obviously lives in an apartment building or some kind of multi-level home in which his walls are surrounded with life that is not his, or his own. The suggestion of a pump shotgun is a good suggestion (birdshot or buckshot) as all that is needed in most situations is the sound of the action of the pump. I understand all too well that the point in using a firearm for self-defense is to stop the fight, but in the OP's situation, there are many obstacles to be thought out. Drywall/Sheetrock is thin...super thin. There are alternatives that are far more prudent in which I believe the OP's situation than a 44 magnum or samurai sword....home alarm, pepper spray with CS tear gas, small caliber firearms, fighting knives and just plain being aware of a potential threat. I am sorry if I come off strong....but I am image

No offense to anyone or their suggestions as every man is in a different environment than the next,
    Erik
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own guns but I also own a pit bull. Dogs are great companions and they are excellent in alerting you to something out of the ordinary and making it difficult for someone trying to stay undetected. Not to mention they are very dangerous/fearless if trained for security. This is not a suggestion, just discussing the way I protect my area.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭

<< <i>1st Rule of Firearms: Never point a gun at someone unless you are prepared to kill them. >>

Fixed it for you....
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1st Rule of Firearms: Never point a gun at someone unless you are prepared to kill them. >>

Fixed it for you.... >>

Thanks...
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    When it comes to home protection, everyone will have different opinions and circumstances. I live in a small community myself but still close to a very crime ridden city (Shreveport/Bossier). They have a lot of home invasions there and most do not end well for the homeowners. Me and my wife are avid hunters and my wife has a concealed license. We have quite a few guns, rifles, shotguns and pistols. I also bought my wife and 18 yr old daughter a taser to carry in thier purses. As I stated before, I keep loaded pistols in the house. I hope to never have to use them on another human being, but if it comes down to my family and my life, it will be done. Usually in a home invasion, it is not known whether the intruder has a weapon or not. If it is at night also, aiming for a specific location is not very possible. Just point and shoot is more of what anyone will do in that situation. I guarantee that there not be much time at all for reasonable decisions to be made. As some have pointed out, in an apartment type dwelling, a dog may be good also, But, there are a lot of these places that do not allow dogs. All circumstances should be considered I agree, but the main thing that should always be considered is the safety for yourself and your family no matter what means of protection that you use. It just needs to be something that YOU feel secure with.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Red Flag--Time to move to an area of town where their are safer digs.

Krueger >>

+1
    If you lay down with dogs, you come up with flees.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is paramount that individuals be prepared to defend themselves. If you are not so prepared, you are a victim in waiting. A clear dictum is often stated - 'When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.' A dog is an excellent warning system, but home security consists of layers. Secure doors, windows and alarms are ingredients to be considered. Firearms are also important, but with such a tool also comes the necessity of training - and not just a four hour, token course. (Yes, I am a certified instructor with a training school - but this is not an advertisement.) Firearm handling and use requires instruction and practice. Defense of self and family is serious and those who neglect it will become statistics. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I loathe the feeling of living in fear, who doesn't ?

If you can't feel safe where you live what can you do ?

Follow Bobby's advice. Get yourself a handgun. Don't
    shoot to maim someone, they'll only come back to sue you.

Shoot to kill. Someone breaks into my home with my
    family asleep - I would have no compunction whatsoever
    about shooting the intruder. Empty the entire clip, for your
    own safety. If you only wound him, he still may make a move
    to harm you further. No, do not put one behind his ear for good
    measure, that's considered murder. Although I can see why some
    people go to the far extremes when it comes to home invasions.

I think any would be intruder will think twice about breaking
    into my home with a burglar alarm that is monitored to the
    Police Department and the fact that I now have two fully grown
    (and very protective ) Doberman Pinchers waiting inside.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Glad to report that the evening was quiet. Thank you all for the tips and suggestion.

Getting back to coins. I have a bunch of orders to fill. image
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just my little 2¢.

You shoot to STOP someone because YOU BELIEVED YOU WERE FACING IMMINENT SERIOUS BODILY INJURY OR DEATH WITH NO TIME OR MEANS OF RETREAT.

Do not say you shot to kill. Do not say you shot to maim.

Key words: STOP..... BELIEVED..... IMMINENT..... SERIOUS..... DEATH.

Not just bodily injury, but SERIOUS bodily injury, meaning the belief that if inflicted the injury would cause permanent injury or disfigurement.

And BTW, there's no such thing as shooting somebody a little bit. You shoot or you don't and aim for center mass if you do.

That is all.

edit:spelling

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got robbed and pistol whipped working a gas station senior year of college. Started open carrying my old 45 on my hip on the job after that. Sherrifs would come in for coffee, see me strapped (CCW since '94), said they loved to see that and wish more folks would, and then each and every one of them said shoot to kill.

Pulled my weapon on 1 person/thief in my life and scared the crap out of them. Not fun but if it's them or you you either have to be ready for the end or ready to end someone, there is no middle ground.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just my little 2¢.

You shoot to STOP someone because YOU BELIEVED YOU FACING IMMINENT SERIOUS BODILY INJURY OR DEATH WITH NO TIME OR MEANS OF RETREAT.

Do not say you shot to kill. Do not say you shot to maim.

Key words: STOP..... BELIEVED..... IMMINENT..... SERIOUS..... DEATH.

Not just bodily injury, but SERIOUS bodily injury, meaning the belief that if inflicted the injury would cause permanent injury or disfigurement.

And BTW, there's no such thing as shooting somebody a little bit. You shoot or you don't and aim for center mass if you do. >>

That's worth repeating. I'd add: double tap center of mass, aim again, shoot head. Then stop, assess/aquire next target. Do not empty gun into corpse.

edit to add: brush fire weather in San Diego and Santa Barbara counties has us on alert and friends among those evacuated, so far fortunately no deaths or houses burned.
    as always, thank goodness we have brave firemen that we pay all year long to train and keep equipment ready for such emergencies. They're doing a great job containing the blazes.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With proper training, you will learn to shoot center mass...forget the head shots - too difficult for all but the highly trained. Plus, one slight move of the head and it is a miss. We shoot to STOP the attack, nothing more. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Every time there's a thread about security/ crime/ defense, etc. the thread invariably turns into a Letters to Penthouse section for folks with Rambo fantasies and fuel to feed the paranoid minds, and in the coin world paranoid minds are numerous and common.

I agree with SeattleSlammer...everybody has fantasies of becoming Superman in imagined scenarios but real life situations never turn out like they do in make believe world.

With proper training a firearm can be an effective defense aid and a deterrent but possessing one does not make the bearer invincible. There have been shop owners who openly carried a gun on themselves who still ended up robbery or assault victims.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Great comment there Baley, I like you again ;-)
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Every time there's a thread about security/ crime/ defense, etc. the thread invariably turns into a Letters to Penthouse section for folks with Rambo fantasies and fuel to feed the paranoid minds, and in the coin world paranoid minds are numerous and common.

I agree with SeattleSlammer...everybody has fantasies of becoming Superman in imagined scenarios but real life situations never turn out like they do in make believe world.

With proper training a firearm can be an effective defense aid and a deterrent but possessing one does not make the bearer invincible. There have been shop owners who openly carried a gun on themselves who still ended up robbery or assault victims. >>

I guess I missed the posts in this thread that said or even inferred that owning a weapon makes the bearer invincible.

Anyone ex-military or who has received proper training will confirm that you never shoot to wound someone... You shoot to stop them.

Anyone who's part of the 'guns are evil' crowd that thinks talking or reasoning with the assailant will work, or that the police will protect or save them before something bad happens- good luck with that.
    Just make sure your next of kin know your final wishes.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i> or that the police will protect or save them before something bad happens- good luck with that. >>

Well said. That certainly hit home this week. When I asked two different officers about additional patrols in the area, they both got on a political pedestal ranting about the underfunding of the department.

Fortunately we live in a state that allows citizens to defend themselves when necessary.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file