Home Precious Metals
Options

$5 gold commems

Why does. There seem to be a lower premium for $5 gold modern commems than 1/4 oz gold eagles. I get the gold content differences, but any other ideas?

Thanks
Eric

Comments

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I do not see them as real bullion coins since they do not have weight or composition on them.

Btw, I just purchase my first Statue of Liberty yesterday.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which IMHO makes them more suitable for longterm holding.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    I just picked up a few below spot (with quad rebates). I never looked at them before. But seemed a good value. Pcgs holders too
    Eric
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Premium seems to be the same from what I can see, when the weight difference is factored in.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some have collector value far beyond the PM value - i.e. Jackie Robinson, FDR and Capitol Visitor Center. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Same old story....lower premiums on purchase...lower premiums when you sell.
    Big supply, not so big demand.
    Still gold but again, low premiums at both ends.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crunch the numbers and let us know what kind of a difference (percentage wise) that you are talking about.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    TheBigBTheBigB Posts: 942

<< <i>Same old story....lower premiums on purchase...lower premiums when you sell.
    Big supply, not so big demand.
    Still gold but again, low premiums at both ends. >>

Current buyers prefer 1, .5, .25, or .10 ounce increments.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discounts, depends - the discount that k-rands had them has largely disappeared now.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Common modern $5 and $10 coins comprise the majority of my gold stash.

Apart from the low premium, on ebay I can get 2% off my purchase price since they are usually listed as coins and not as bullion.

They are a long term hold for me and I hope that premiums remain low.
  • Options
    at the right price they are a good bullion play.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I love this things! I buy them in plastic for peace of mind. Makes them easier to sell too. And if you shop, you can get them for no more than bullion.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    I bought 4 Jackie $5 PCGS PF69 at melt and sold them at melt.

For a few dollars more I could have bought MS60 $5 Libs which
    would have been better.

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought 4 Jackie $5 PCGS PF69 at melt and sold them at melt.

would have been better. >>

You should have done better selling the proof Robinsons. Just sold one at $500 on Ebay.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can you go wrong on some of these?

I watched Silvertowne almost fill a five gallon bucket with these when gold had its run up.

A few of the low mintage ones right on the cusp with a combination of oogly/low mintage are going to get progressively scarcer with each run up & melt.

Hope I live long enough.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A few of the low mintage ones right on the cusp with a combination of oogly/low mintage are going to get progressively scarcer with each run up & melt. >>

Same thing has likely happened with numerous semi-semi-key silver coins.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>at the right price they are a good bullion play. >>

Any au/ag/plat at the right price is a good bullion play...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>at the right price they are a good bullion play. >>

Any au/ag/plat at the right price is a good bullion play... >>

OP asked about gold comms specifically. but you are correct, au and plat comms at the right price are also a good bullion play.

• Options

<< <i>How can you go wrong on some of these?

I watched Silvertowne almost fill a five gallon bucket with these when gold had its run up.

A few of the low mintage ones right on the cusp with a combination of oogly/low mintage are going to get progressively scarcer with each run up & melt. >>

I assume these were purchased for below melt and went straight into the pot. There may be liquidity issues for these.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I bought 4 Jackie $5 PCGS PF69 at melt and sold them at melt.

would have been better. >>

You should have done better selling the proof Robinsons. Just sold one at $500 on Ebay. >>

I see that sale at $500. I could have done better. I actually sold the coins at melt + $20/per coin.

I bought them privately below melt.

I sold for cash on Craigslist, so there was no eBay fee ($50 for me), PayPal fee ($14) or shipping ($8),
    so not a big difference after factoring in what would have been $72 in selling expenses.

• Options
    I seem to get higher premiums on slabbed gold versus raw, which has been especially true for the few commem(s) I have handled ........
    Condor
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How can you go wrong on some of these?

A few of the low mintage ones right on the cusp with a combination of oogly/low mintage are going to get progressively scarcer with each run up & melt. >>

I assume these were purchased for below melt and went straight into the pot. There may be liquidity issues for these. >>

Most coins have liquidity issues once they hit the melting pot. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)