Home Precious Metals
Options

$5 gold commems

Why does. There seem to be a lower premium for $5 gold modern commems than 1/4 oz gold eagles. I get the gold content differences, but any other ideas?

Thanks
Eric

Comments

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I do not see them as real bullion coins since they do not have weight or composition on them.

Btw, I just purchase my first Statue of Liberty yesterday.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which IMHO makes them more suitable for longterm holding.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    I just picked up a few below spot (with quad rebates). I never looked at them before. But seemed a good value. Pcgs holders too
    Eric
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Premium seems to be the same from what I can see, when the weight difference is factored in.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some have collector value far beyond the PM value - i.e. Jackie Robinson, FDR and Capitol Visitor Center. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Same old story....lower premiums on purchase...lower premiums when you sell.
    Big supply, not so big demand.
    Still gold but again, low premiums at both ends.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crunch the numbers and let us know what kind of a difference (percentage wise) that you are talking about.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    TheBigBTheBigB Posts: 942

<< <i>Same old story....lower premiums on purchase...lower premiums when you sell.
    Big supply, not so big demand.
    Still gold but again, low premiums at both ends. >>

Current buyers prefer 1, .5, .25, or .10 ounce increments.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discounts, depends - the discount that k-rands had them has largely disappeared now.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Common modern $5 and $10 coins comprise the majority of my gold stash.

Apart from the low premium, on ebay I can get 2% off my purchase price since they are usually listed as coins and not as bullion.

They are a long term hold for me and I hope that premiums remain low.
  • Options
    at the right price they are a good bullion play.

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I love this things! I buy them in plastic for peace of mind. Makes them easier to sell too. And if you shop, you can get them for no more than bullion.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    I bought 4 Jackie $5 PCGS PF69 at melt and sold them at melt.

For a few dollars more I could have bought MS60 $5 Libs which
    would have been better.

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought 4 Jackie $5 PCGS PF69 at melt and sold them at melt.

would have been better. >>

You should have done better selling the proof Robinsons. Just sold one at $500 on Ebay.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can you go wrong on some of these?

I watched Silvertowne almost fill a five gallon bucket with these when gold had its run up.

A few of the low mintage ones right on the cusp with a combination of oogly/low mintage are going to get progressively scarcer with each run up & melt.

Hope I live long enough.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A few of the low mintage ones right on the cusp with a combination of oogly/low mintage are going to get progressively scarcer with each run up & melt. >>

Same thing has likely happened with numerous semi-semi-key silver coins.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>at the right price they are a good bullion play. >>

Any au/ag/plat at the right price is a good bullion play...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>at the right price they are a good bullion play. >>

Any au/ag/plat at the right price is a good bullion play... >>

OP asked about gold comms specifically. but you are correct, au and plat comms at the right price are also a good bullion play.

• Options

<< <i>How can you go wrong on some of these?

I watched Silvertowne almost fill a five gallon bucket with these when gold had its run up.

A few of the low mintage ones right on the cusp with a combination of oogly/low mintage are going to get progressively scarcer with each run up & melt. >>

I assume these were purchased for below melt and went straight into the pot. There may be liquidity issues for these.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I bought 4 Jackie $5 PCGS PF69 at melt and sold them at melt.

would have been better. >>

You should have done better selling the proof Robinsons. Just sold one at $500 on Ebay. >>

I see that sale at $500. I could have done better. I actually sold the coins at melt + $20/per coin.

I bought them privately below melt.

I sold for cash on Craigslist, so there was no eBay fee ($50 for me), PayPal fee ($14) or shipping ($8),
    so not a big difference after factoring in what would have been $72 in selling expenses.

• Options
    I seem to get higher premiums on slabbed gold versus raw, which has been especially true for the few commem(s) I have handled ........
    Condor
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How can you go wrong on some of these?

A few of the low mintage ones right on the cusp with a combination of oogly/low mintage are going to get progressively scarcer with each run up & melt. >>

I assume these were purchased for below melt and went straight into the pot. There may be liquidity issues for these. >>

Most coins have liquidity issues once they hit the melting pot. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)