Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Manning chokes again

another Super Bowl another loss ...
I edit almost all my posts because my auto correct is crazy !

Comments

• Options
    I think I would rather have Elway at QB, down 22 going into the second half.
  • Options
    If you look at Manning's first half numbers, even John Elway would admit they are not even Tim Tebow like.
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Should people just call him the greatest regular season quarterback of all-time instead of the greatest quarterback of all-time. This is just sad to watch.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    I believe that there may be more football to play.
  • Options

<< <i>I believe that there may be more football to play. >>

Correct, and seattle gets the ball first....might as well make it a massacre.
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Honestly guys, who does he have to throw to? I am not saying Manning is having a great game but hats off to the Seahawks D. They are in his face and ALL over the receivers. Both Int's he had his arm hit as he threw the ball.

I don't think the Broncos are going to win. In to much of a hole against a superior D.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    What a disappointment. After the two week wait and all the BS'ing hype, this game is just F-ugly.
  • Options

<< <i>Honestly guys, who does he have to throw to? I am not saying Manning is having a great game but hats off to the Seahawks D. They are in his face and ALL over the receivers. Both Int's he had his arm hit as he threw the ball.

I don't think the Broncos are going to win. In to much of a hole against a superior D.

Mark >>

Perfectly said buddy!!

Edit: to add wonder if his bro in his head is like well I still have two!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
  • Options
    And they didn't go for FG at end of half. Wasted drive not to mention cost me $150 in my work pool!
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I'm shocked. But since my team's not playing, and I had Seahawks 2 and Denver 0 in a $20 square pool, loving this game. Up 450 - 60, with a half a game left. Was sure they'd kick the FG to take some points into half.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Damn Manning, why didn't you tackle Harvin....image
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Damn Manning, why didn't you tackle Harvin....image >>

+1

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Physical football vs not physical football. I suppose Denver could still rally but...........
  • Options
    Broncos did not come to play.

all around horrible
  • Options
    This is absolutely unbelievable.
  • Options

<< <i>This is absolutely unbelievable. >>

Not really....did anyone think Manning was just going to dump 5 TDs on SEA like he was playing the Raiders? I am not a Seahawks fan, but if you need a win in the post season, Manning is not even in the top 10 discussion.

Bottom Line: Manning = Great American = Great Footballer = Not the Greatest of All Time
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This is absolutely unbelievable. >>

Not really....did anyone think Manning was just going to dump 5 TDs on SEA like he was playing the Raiders? I am not a Seahawks fan, but if you need a win in the post season, Manning is not even in the top 10 discussion.

Bottom Line: Manning = Great American = Great Footballer = Not the Greatest of All Time >>

umm no what is unbelievable is how horrible the Broncos are playing. Its a joke.

No one expected Manning to dump 5 tds they expected him to play football along with the rest of the team. This is now getting absurd .
  • Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What a disappointment. After the two week wait and all the BS'ing hype, this game is just F-ugly. >>

+1
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't say he choked. There's a pretty good team in those white jerseys that have a D-Line that dictated just about every mistake Peyton made. They manhandled the Broncos about as bad as the '85 Bears did the Patriots. It was like men vs boys.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Choked? He didn't have a chance to. The Seattle D and special teams took care of that.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I won't say he choked. There's a pretty good team in those white jerseys that have a D-Line that dictated just about every mistake Peyton made. They manhandled the Broncos about as bad as the '85 Bears did the Patriots. It was like men vs boys. >>

yeah but the patriots team was horrible anyways. I was like 10 years old and living in the south shore of Boston and that was a sad day lol
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭
    Total dominance by a far superior team plain and simple.

Hats off to the Seahawks.
  • Options
    He didn't choke, the team did. The line got torn up in the first half and the Seattlee defense did what it does best.Someone's got to lose.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Choked? He didn't have a chance to. The Seattle D and special teams took care of that. >>

this
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    That 35 point loss is going in the first paragraph of his football obituary. He's also under .500 in the playoffs (11-12)
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And they didn't go for FG at end of half. Wasted drive not to mention cost me $150 in my work pool! >>

+1. Rrrrrrr. $150 lost as we'll.

I was pulling for Broncos. Great job controlling all aspects of the game by the Hawks.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care who was at QB for Denver....the Hawks were unbeatable tonight. Manning had no chance. If he played his best game they still would have lost by at least 14-20 points. They got beat plain and simple. And for people comparing Manning-Elway..are you serious? Manning is way better. Elway won those 2 SB's because of T Davis. If the 1998 John Elway played for Denver tonight....the score might have been 60-0.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't care who was at QB for Denver....the Hawks were unbeatable tonight. Manning had no chance. If he played his best game they still would have lost by at least 14-20 points. They got beat plain and simple. And for people comparing Manning-Elway..are you serious? Manning is way better. Elway won those 2 SB's because of T Davis. If the 1998 John Elway played for Denver tonight....the score might have been 60-0. >>

Elway won those Super bowls because of TD eh? How many titles did Denver win after Elway retired with TD? How many seasons over .500 with TD after Elway retired......give me a break.
    Manning is playing in a pass friendly league, with a roster full of the best players in the NFL. Elway was taking teams to the Super bowl, in a league where headhunting was legal, with a supporting cast that nobody can even name.

When he finally got a running back worth a crap...At age 36, they went 13-3, 12-4, and 14-2 and won 2 Super Bowls. Denver was an 8-8 AFC west winner the year before manning arrived with Tim Tebow at QB for crying out loud.
  • Options
    Elway played defenses like that his entire career by the way. That is how the league WAS when Elway/Marino/Montana played. Look at Montana....you think the 80s Giants defenses were not twice as tough as Seattle?
    Watch Leonard Marshalls knockout hit on him in the NFC title game......He would get suspended for an entire season if he made that hit today.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't care who was at QB for Denver....the Hawks were unbeatable tonight. Manning had no chance. If he played his best game they still would have lost by at least 14-20 points. They got beat plain and simple. And for people comparing Manning-Elway..are you serious? Manning is way better. Elway won those 2 SB's because of T Davis. If the 1998 John Elway played for Denver tonight....the score might have been 60-0. >>

Elway won those Super bowls because of TD eh? How many titles did Denver win after Elway retired with TD? How many seasons over .500 with TD after Elway retired......give me a break.
    Manning is playing in a pass friendly league, with a roster full of the best players in the NFL. Elway was taking teams to the Super bowl, in a league where headhunting was legal, with a supporting cast that nobody can even name.

When he finally got a running back worth a crap...At age 36, they went 13-3, 12-4, and 14-2 and won 2 Super Bowls. Denver was an 8-8 AFC west winner the year before manning arrived with Tim Tebow at QB for crying out loud. >>

Terrell Davis was essentially done after the 1998 season due to injury. He had 750 carries for almost 4,000 yards and 36 TDs in '97 and '98. He played in 4 games in 1999 gaining about 200 yards. Elway was great, no question, but no TD no rings in Denver in '97 or '98, no doubt.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭
    Seattle D and special teams were insane. I'm super bummed, but give the Hawks a bunch of credit. I was also very surprised at how lopsided the crowd was toward Seattle. They were making a ton of noise when Denver was on offense.
  • Options
    Wasn't TD just a mere decoy in that first Super Bowl due to his migraine?
  • Options

<< <i>Wasn't TD just a mere decoy in that first Super Bowl due to his migraine? >>

Decoy? He had 30 carries for 157 yards and 3 TDs.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

When he finally got a running back worth a crap...At age 36, they went 13-3, 12-4, and 14-2 and won 2 Super Bowls. Denver was an 8-8 AFC west winner the year before manning arrived with Tim Tebow at QB for crying out loud. >>

Terrell Davis was essentially done after the 1998 season due to injury. He had 750 carries for almost 4,000 yards and 36 TDs in '97 and '98. He played in 4 games in 1999 gaining about 200 yards. Elway was great, no question, but no TD no rings in Denver in '97 or '98, no doubt. >>

Fair enough.

Edgerrin James stats
    1500 yds 13 tds
    1700 yds 13 tds
    662 yds 3 tds
    989 yds 2 tds
    1259 yds 11 tds
    1548 yds 9 tds
    1506 yds 13 tds

Super Bowl titles for Edgerrin James and Peyton Manning---0.....Super Bowl appearances for Edgerrin James and Peyton Manning--0.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Terrell Davis was essentially done after the 1998 season due to injury. He had 750 carries for almost 4,000 yards and 36 TDs in '97 and '98. He played in 4 games in 1999 gaining about 200 yards. Elway was great, no question, but no TD no rings in Denver in '97 or '98, no doubt. >>

Fair enough.

Edgerrin James stats
    1500 yds 13 tds
    1700 yds 13 tds
    662 yds 3 tds
    989 yds 2 tds
    1259 yds 11 tds
    1548 yds 9 tds
    1506 yds 13 tds

Super Bowl titles for Edgerrin James and Peyton Manning---0.....Super Bowl appearances for Edgerrin James and Peyton Manning--0. >>

Yes, but to be fair the Denver D in both '97 and '98 were also considerably better than any D Manning had the benefit of playing behind. I would also say that TD in '97 and '98 was better than any of Edge's best seasons. TD's seasons in '97 and '98 were arguably among the best back to back seasons for a running back in the history of the NFL.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Elway won those Super bowls because of TD eh? How many titles did Denver win after Elway retired with TD? How many seasons over .500 with TD after Elway retired......give me a break. >>

Davis was injured and basically didn't play for two years after that Super Bowl win. Not even a remotely fair comparison.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Manning/Elway comparison is nonsense. The game was oddly reminiscent of Super Bowl XXII when Doug Williams and the Redskins demolished Elway and the Broncos. Doug Williams was the first Afro American QB to start and win the Super Bowel, no surprise that Russell Wilson was the second Afro American QB to accomplish that feat.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Fair enough.

Edgerrin James stats
    1500 yds 13 tds
    1700 yds 13 tds
    662 yds 3 tds
    989 yds 2 tds
    1259 yds 11 tds
    1548 yds 9 tds
    1506 yds 13 tds

Super Bowl titles for Edgerrin James and Peyton Manning---0.....Super Bowl appearances for Edgerrin James and Peyton Manning--0. >>

Yes, but to be fair the Denver D in both '97 and '98 were also considerably better than any D Manning had the benefit of playing behind. I would also say that TD in '97 and '98 was better than any of Edge's best seasons. TD's seasons in '97 and '98 were arguably among the best back to back seasons for a running back in the history of the NFL. >>

2002 Colts--#7 defense---lost wild card game.
    2005 Colts--#2 defense---lost wild card game.
    2007 Colts--#1 defense---lost wild card game.
    2008 Colts--#7 defense-- lost wild card game.
    2009 Colts -#8 defense---lost Super bowl.

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Honestly guys, who does he have to throw to? I am not saying Manning is having a great game but hats off to the Seahawks D. They are in his face and ALL over the receivers. Both Int's he had his arm hit as he threw the ball.

Mark >>

Very well said mark

People love to tear down the great and successful ones. All anyone will be talking about is like what this thread says "Peyton choked". BS. That will be the story everyone will run with.

That was a full team effort by Denver. Did Peyton choke on the safety that was hiked too soon? Or the special teams meltdowns? Or Seattle scoring on their first 2 drives and it being 16-0 before Peyton could even get started? The tipped ball interception? Peyton choked is so off base. He is still the greatest of all time IMO and today John Fox and his staff (if anyone) are the chokers,
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭
    Jim Harbaugh has a good game plan on how to beat Seattle but the Broncos didn't follow it. There has to be balance in the running and passing game. Manning tried to be the single star and the results turned out like all his other attempts in big games.
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    "That was a full team effort by Denver" If that was full team effort that team got throat kicked. Mannings only super bowl win was against Rex grossman. Manning scored six points, it is his fault partially. And you know what else everyone uses the term game manager alot, but there is no quarterback representing that statement better then Manning, He not a playmaker, He's not clutch, he throws for alot of yards in game that don't matter. He gets more protection then any quarterback in football and the moment the deffense gets pressure he can't handle it. I mean he threw as many touchdowns to the Seahawks as he did to his Broncos. Best all time? Not when it matters its a cold day in Denver Im sure! All you people play your fantasy football games and think because the guy gets you 50 points every week hes the greatest since sliced bread. Graham won 7 championships, Bart Starr 5, Montana and Bradshaw 4-0. And now Tom Brady at 3-2 or Manning at 1-2 are the greatest ever because were in the age of pass the ball only and every single pass route is a flag? Give me a break. Hall of Fame Game Manager
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jim Harbaugh has a good game plan on how to beat Seattle but the Broncos didn't follow it. There has to be balance in the running and passing game. Manning tried to be the single star and the results turned out like all his other attempts in big games. >>

Was it the same game plan he used when they dropped 2 of 3 to the Seahawks this year? Maybe he needs to come up with a new game plan AND some new sideline khakis.

I don't see this game as Manning choking. Denver as a team was out of this game after Percy ran back the kickoff just after half. This was a total beatdown in offense, defense, and special teams. Some of the mistakes they made themselves, some of them were forced by Seattle. And while I am biased being a huge Seahawks fan, I do think Seattle showed that they are a superior team to Denver overall.

Also, for as humiliating as this loss must have been to Manning, I salute him for being gracious in defeat. He's still an incredible player in my book--top 5 QB for sure--and a 1st ballot HOF.

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i think the first psychological blow had already been laid on Holliday when he brought out the kickoff. bad idea. too much adrenaline, not enough thought. give Manning a start at the 20 and see what happens.

bleh, hindsight. Denver gets beat up and down the field no matter what, because they were outcoached.
  • Options
    Man, there's some really dumb stuff that gets said on the day after Super Bowls.

The whole "Manning isn't clutch" or "Manning chokes" narrative is STUPID. The guy has played in four AFC title games and three Super Bowls. You don't make those games by being a choker who isn't good in the clutch. You don't go 4-3 in those games by being a choker. The guy has the most 4th Quarter comebacks of any QB in the history of the league. But he's not clutch?? And sorry folks -- regular season games DO matter. If they didn't matter, then we wouldn't play them.

The facts of last night are these -- the whole Denver team WAS crap. And Manning was crap too (MY GOD, HE'S FALLIBLE!!). And they were crap because the Seahawks were really, REALLY good.

I realize that you Manning haters get tired of the adulation that Manning gets. I get that. But stop being idiots and throwing the choker label by boiling a to-this-point 248 game career down to essentially a half-dozen games. It is ridiculous. And stop with the stupid "he only beat Rex Grossman in the Super Bowl" too. He also beat the top-3 scoring defenses in the league back-to-back-back in that playoff run, but you never throw that in. And hey -- NEWSFLASH -- the other teams DEFENSE is actually who played against.

• Options

<< <i>Mannings only super bowl win was against Rex grossman. >>

If it was so easy to beat Rex Grossman, why was Rex Grossman playing in the Super Bowl after starting every game and going 15-3?
  • Options

<< <i>Man, there's some really dumb stuff that gets said on the day after Super Bowls.

The whole "Manning isn't clutch" or "Manning chokes" narrative is STUPID. The guy has played in four AFC title games and three Super Bowls. You don't make those games by being a choker who isn't good in the clutch. You don't go 4-3 in those games by being a choker. The guy has the most 4th Quarter comebacks of any QB in the history of the league. But he's not clutch?? And sorry folks -- regular season games DO matter. If they didn't matter, then we wouldn't play them.

The facts of last night are these -- the whole Denver team WAS crap. And Manning was crap too (MY GOD, HE'S FALLIBLE!!). And they were crap because the Seahawks were really, REALLY good.

I realize that you Manning haters get tired of the adulation that Manning gets. I get that. But stop being idiots and throwing the choker label by boiling a to-this-point 248 game career down to essentially a half-dozen games. It is ridiculous. And stop with the stupid "he only beat Rex Grossman in the Super Bowl" too. He also beat the top-3 scoring defenses in the league back-to-back-back in that playoff run, but you never throw that in. And hey -- NEWSFLASH -- the other teams DEFENSE is actually who played against. >>

I disagree. the Seahawks defense was not that good last night it was the Broncos that were so bad. Only player who played well was Welker. He played hard and made no mistakes.

I think Manning did choke ," I get that. But stop being idiots and throwing the choker label by boiling a to-this-point 248 game career down to essentially a half-dozen games." pretty much defines choking if those half dozen games are big games. You do not choke if you do awful from the start. You choke when you have an amazing season and then suck at the end when it counts.
  • Options
    DON'T STEAL MY SHINE, I CALLED THAT PREGAME ON THE ELWAY THREAD. 11-12 in the playoffs with 8 one and dones

1.Unitas

2.Montana

big gap

3. Not manning he chokes in big games, I put him at maybe in the top 15 around Favre & his Brother
    A really big fan of Dan Aykroyd
  • Options

<< <i>DON'T STEAL MY SHINE, I CALLED THAT PREGAME ON THE ELWAY THREAD. 11-12 in the playoffs with 8 one and dones

1.Unitas

2.Montana

big gap

3. Not manning he chokes in big games, I put him at maybe in the top 15 around Favre & his Brother >>

hahah Nice call
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how anyone can say that the Seattle D was not outstanding. How many times did Denver complete passes where the D completely smothered the receiver and prevented any additional yards after the catch? I don't care what anyone says, nobody was going to beat Seattle last night. Not Brady, not Brees, not Elway. They played inspired football.