Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Manning chokes again

2»

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure how anyone can say that the Seattle D was not outstanding. How many times did Denver complete passes where the D completely smothered the receiver and prevented any additional yards after the catch? I don't care what anyone says, nobody was going to beat Seattle last night. Not Brady, not Brees, not Elway. They played inspired football. >>

+1

Joe Montana in his prime wouldn't have made a difference out there yesterday.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    IMO, Manning wasn't even as bad as everyone, including the media have made him out to be. Seattle's defense was just that good. What is lost is the fact Manning completed 34 of 49 passes for 69.4%. None of the turnovers were his fault. Manning did what he has done all year, throw the quick slants or quick screens. The difference in this game was the Bronco receivers didn't get yards after the catch like they had during the year. Seahawks defense was flying to the ball all night. Really impressive the way they did that. Also, Sherman shut down the left side of the field so Manning was basically playing with half a field which makes it easier to defend and fly to the ball after pass catches.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Not Manning's fault. Denver played only a couple top ten defenses all year and none of them even remotely close to the caliber of Seattle. A harsh wake up call for Denver, but more the fault of the game plan than that of Peyton.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Whether you like him or not as an all time great QB (which he most certainly is), you can't say the guy isn't class personified.

Manning Leaves Super Bowl with Reputation Intact

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>DON'T STEAL MY SHINE, I CALLED THAT PREGAME ON THE ELWAY THREAD. 11-12 in the playoffs with 8 one and dones

1.Unitas

2.Montana

big gap

3. Not manning he chokes in big games, I put him at maybe in the top 15 around Favre & his Brother >>

Unitas didn't exactly tear it up in the playoffs either. Unitas won championship in '58 and '59 and got blasted in 1964 27-0. Unitas won another championship ring in Super Bowl V but Earl Morrall was the one who led them from behind to win that game. Let's also not forget, Unitas didn't even have to win playoff games to get to the championship in '58, '59 or 1964. They went because they won their conference with the best record. There were no playoff games.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not sure how anyone can say that the Seattle D was not outstanding. How many times did Denver complete passes where the D completely smothered the receiver and prevented any additional yards after the catch? I don't care what anyone says, nobody was going to beat Seattle last night. Not Brady, not Brees, not Elway. They played inspired football. >>

+1

Joe Montana in his prime wouldn't have made a difference out there yesterday. >>

LOL
  • Options
    I love Maninning. Both Mannings for that matter. Great family story.

But, forget Manning. The Eagles where amazing period. Defense especially, special teams, Wilson even looked great for a Rookie. I read last year Wilson was at the Super Bowl with notebook and pen. Calculating timeouts, refs, temp, wind, halftime show, etc.

Manning choked hard. Doesn't take away from how great of an amazing season he and the Broncos had. The stats don't lie. But we all know the phrase on any given Sunday..... Someone said it earlier. Defense wins games. I'm glad the hawks won. I'm a Brady fan, so Manning took him out so of course I route for the opposite. But I def think Wilson is incredible and very mature for his age and time in the league.

Bottom line IMO. Manning badly embarrassed himself and let his team down. How could they have not planned better for the Seahawks defense. Manning is def IMO not the best ever. I'd still put Brady before him.

Eli is still laughing inside. Looks Peyton in the eyes"sorry brother on a tough game, you've still won one, I......."

Even better it was a blowout!!! When it was at 15-0, I was waiting for the Broncos and Mannings dominance. But then I remember I few weeks ago. The Pats defense well sucks. And they only won by 10 and the Pats played like poop. So I knew it was over. So glad they got crushed. Of course I am a big Welker fan. Best receiver a couple years ago on New England. That was stupid we lost him. Anyway Congratulations to the 2014 Super Bowl Crushers, Bruisers, and Drstroyers of Manning. Right all year long it's all been about Manning, his stats, his records. Well he still has those. But not a Super Bowl trophy!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But, forget Manning. The Eagles where amazing period. >>

Hooray, Iggles!
  • Options
    For as much as people claim the media loves him, next to Romo, Manning gets more hate from fans than any QB in the NFL, LOL...

You can't choke if your team gets destroyed in all facets of the game. As I said earlier, Joe Montana wouldn't have made a difference yesterday vs the Hawks. They were that dominant.

Wilson, btw, is a 2nd year QB. He started all 16 games last season.

I would agree that defense definitely wins championships. The Seattle D was far better than any Denver faced all season. The Denver D, OTOH, was mediocre at best, and without Manning they don't get to the Super Bowl.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For as much as people claim the media loves him, next to Romo, Manning gets more hate from fans than any QB in the NFL, LOL...

You can't choke if your team gets destroyed in all facets of the game. As I said earlier, Joe Montana wouldn't have made a difference yesterday vs the Hawks. They were that dominant.

Wilson, btw, is a 2nd year QB. He started all 16 games last season.

I would agree that defense definitely wins championships. The Seattle D was far better than any Denver faced all season. The Denver D, OTOH, was mediocre at best, and without Manning they don't get to the Super Bowl. >>

+1
  • Options
    But not a Super Bowl trophy!

He does have one. And a Super Bowl MVP.

• Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    I think Manning is too good for his own good. He's so good, that internally his teammates believe he will win them the big games so they let their guard down. But it's a team sport and the team stunk overall. Can't put it all on Manning. Seattle was a much better team.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Man, there's some really dumb stuff that gets said on the day after Super Bowls.

The whole "Manning isn't clutch" or "Manning chokes" narrative is STUPID. The guy has played in four AFC title games and three Super Bowls. You don't make those games by being a choker who isn't good in the clutch. You don't go 4-3 in those games by being a choker. The guy has the most 4th Quarter comebacks of any QB in the history of the league. But he's not clutch?? And sorry folks -- regular season games DO matter. If they didn't matter, then we wouldn't play them.

The facts of last night are these -- the whole Denver team WAS crap. And Manning was crap too (MY GOD, HE'S FALLIBLE!!). And they were crap because the Seahawks were really, REALLY good.

I realize that you Manning haters get tired of the adulation that Manning gets. I get that. But stop being idiots and throwing the choker label by boiling a to-this-point 248 game career down to essentially a half-dozen games. It is ridiculous. And stop with the stupid "he only beat Rex Grossman in the Super Bowl" too. He also beat the top-3 scoring defenses in the league back-to-back-back in that playoff run, but you never throw that in. And hey -- NEWSFLASH -- the other teams DEFENSE is actually who played against. >>

+ 1,000
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>

I disagree. the Seahawks defense was not that good last night it was the Broncos that were so bad. Only player who played well was Welker. He played hard and made no mistakes.
    >>

Not that good? Did you ever think the pressure that was applied to Manning and the fierce hits applied to the guys over the middle had something to do with the players supposedly not playing hard?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>image >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I disagree. the Seahawks defense was not that good last night it was the Broncos that were so bad. Only player who played well was Welker. He played hard and made no mistakes.
    >>

Not that good? Did you ever think the pressure that was applied to Manning and the fierce hits applied to the guys over the middle had something to do with the players supposedly not playing hard?
    >>

puhhhhlease look how the game started. that was not the defense. Look at the kick return that was not the defense. The errors , etc.

Manning was off his game. The whole team was.

Sure Seahawks defense is great no one is going to argue that. But, the results of yesterday was not great defense. It looked like the Hawks were playing Denver's high school team. Just sloppy playing. Demaryius Thomas lots of catches but half the time never ran straight up and did not secure the ball. No one secured the ball how many fumbles, loose balls and near fumbles were there. That's beyond great defense that is just bad playing. It made the Seahawks look like the greatest defensive team that ever was, which they are not.

It was pathetic
    I edit almost all my posts because my auto correct is crazy !
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

>>

puhhhhlease look how the game started. that was not the defense. Look at the kick return that was not the defense. The errors , etc.

Sure Seahawks defense is great no one is going to argue that. But, the results of yesterday was not great defense. It looked like the Hawks were playing Denver's high school team. Just sloppy playing. Demaryius Thomas lots of catches but half the time never ran straight up and did not secure the ball. No one secured the ball how many fumbles, loose balls and near fumbles were there. That's beyond great defense that is just bad playing. It made the Seahawks look like the greatest defensive team that ever was, which they are not.

It was pathetic >>

You originally said the Seahawks' defense was "not that good last night". I am aware the defense does not affect a poor snap or a kickoff return. What it does do, however, is get pressure and hits the QB's arm, and shows WRs that they will not get their usual YAC, and it reminds those receivers that if they do catch the ball they will be hit and hit hard.

Seattle deserves all the credit. Manning or his teammates "not showing up" is a slap in the face to the best defense seen in 30 years.
  • Options

<< <i>But not a Super Bowl trophy!

He does have one. And a Super Bowl MVP. >>

Agree! I mentioned he had one, Eli 2.

I know it's his second year. Wish I hadn't sold so many of his PSA 10's, and BGS 9.5's before.

Just meant RC to the Super Bowl.

Either way the Broncos got smashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love it!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    In my mind, the Seattle D set the tone in that game--Manning is deadly when he has time to throw but Seattle was in his face all night and disrupting his rhythm. The YAC that Denver has excelled on all season to make big plays was completely shut down as the Seattle secondary was literally flying to the football to prevent any of those plays from being broken for big gains. The turnovers by Denver were the direct result of aggressive play by the Seattle defense. SD beat Denver at home late in the season because they pressured Manning and got in his face. Seattle was able to do that even better than SD had. The Seahwaks feed off the energy created by their defense, and their defense was phenomenal last night.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

>>

It was pathetic >>

You say tomAYto, I say tomAHto. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
  • Options
    I can't believe that anyone who watched that game would think that any other QB would have affected the outcome. Seattle was winning that game in a walk no matter who was under center for Denver.

<< <i>You can't choke if your team gets destroyed in all facets of the game. >>

Well said.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I disagree. the Seahawks defense was not that good last night it was the Broncos that were so bad. Only player who played well was Welker. He played hard and made no mistakes.

I think Manning did choke ," I get that. But stop being idiots and throwing the choker label by boiling a to-this-point 248 game career down to essentially a half-dozen games." pretty much defines choking if those half dozen games are big games. You do not choke if you do awful from the start. You choke when you have an amazing season and then suck at the end when it counts. >>

This was funny...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    A running quarterback would have had a better chance than one that relies solely on his arm.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Or Seattle scoring on their first 2 drives and it being 16-0 before Peyton could even get started? >>

What game were you watching? Seattle kicked FGs in the first quarter, which ended 8-0. Denver had three possessions in the first quarter alone - and butchered them all. Safety, 3 & out, INT.

There was never a point in the game where the score was 16-0.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the Seattle secondary was literally flying to the football >>

I'm pretty sure they were just running really fast image
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    If it was so easy to beat Rex Grossman, why was Rex Grossman playing in the Super Bowl after starting every game and going 15-3? "Devin Hester"
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options

<< <i>If it was so easy to beat Rex Grossman, why was Rex Grossman playing in the Super Bowl after starting every game and going 15-3? "Devin Hester" >>

Then what does Rex Grossman have to do with anything? Manning must have beat Devin Hester.
  • Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't believe that anyone who watched that game would think that any other QB would have affected the outcome. Seattle was winning that game in a walk no matter who was under center for Denver.

I can tell you haven't been listening to Boston sports radio today. They disagree.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn'nt help but wonder why with a little over 2 minutes left in the game, and the game hopelessly out of reach at 43-8, Peyton was still in the game. Surely not for the Super Bowl" experience". What with his 4 neck surgeries and still some years left to play, thought they would of protected him by taking him out to eliminate a freak injury possibility,they do happen. There was nothing more he could do or prove. The Hawks QB was taken out with the game in hand.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i>A running quarterback would have had a better chance than one that relies solely on his arm. >>

+1
  • Options
    Hard to say but Kaep and Cam had their chances with only Kaep getting a win. Remember that Carson Paomer beat them and the 12th man so it can really go either way.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This year's Denver team after that Super Bowl loss reminds me of the 86, 87, 89 Broncos. Clady out, Von Miller out. There's 2 big cogs out. Manning and Bailey(not vintage Champ however) are your HOF'ers left on the team playing.Welker's a good slot guy. The 80's Broncos had Elway, Mecklenburg(fringe HOF chances), Wright(overlooked DB), Jackson(solid LB) in 86 and 87(w/out Jackson in 87). 89 Team added Steve A. at safety. Now take a look at what Denver had in 97 and 98 when they won the SB:

Elway(HOF)
    Davis(Fringe HOF candidate)
    Sharpe(HOF)
    Zimmerman(Top 10 all time T)
    Steve A.(Legit HOF candidate)
    Rod Smith(Fringe HOF chances)
    Elam(Legit HOF candidate)
    along with Romanowski, Neil Smith, Schlereth and others who were battle tested added serious depth.

This years Bronco team had none of that. It was carried by Manning and his smarts at the position much like Elway carried those 80's teams. Rod Smith and Shannon Sharpe were better than anyone Peyton was throwing to this year. Elway needs to stack the deck and make a play to improve the roster this off season.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not Manning's fault. Denver played only a couple top ten defenses all year and none of them even remotely close to the caliber of Seattle. A harsh wake up call for Denver, but more the fault of the game plan than that of Peyton. >>

I love this, it's my favorite. Manning gets all the credit in the world when they win games and it's not his fault when they get creamed. He sucked on Sunday. Haa haa X 1000
  • Options

<< <i>He sucked on Sunday. Haa haa X 1000 >>

And I love this, this is my favorite. While he was sucking in the Super Bowl, you were wiping chicken wing sauce off your face and getting ready to go to work on Monday. Try to keep it in perspective.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not Manning's fault. Denver played only a couple top ten defenses all year and none of them even remotely close to the caliber of Seattle. A harsh wake up call for Denver, but more the fault of the game plan than that of Peyton. >>

This!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>He sucked on Sunday. Haa haa X 1000 >>

And I love this, this is my favorite. While he was sucking in the Super Bowl, you were wiping chicken wing sauce off your face and getting ready to go to work on Monday. Try to keep it in perspective. >>

What's your point on this? Were you eating fried chicken and waffles instead of wings? I made a chuck roast- turned out pretty tasty
  • Options

<< <i>

What's your point on this? Were you eating fried chicken and waffles instead of wings? I made a chuck roast- turned out pretty tasty >>

My point is that I don't laugh at the failures of people who have accomplished 1000x more than I have the way a lot of people are doing toward Manning. It's like an hourly wage worker laughing at Bill Gates when Microsoft stock takes a dip.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, Manning "choked" by breaking Tom Brady's Super Bowl Completion Record against one of the Top 5 defenses in the history of the NFL. image
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i think Mr. Piggs may have been at that game trying not to wipe the ear-to-ear smile off his face. or wherever he happened to be at the time. enjoy it Doug. image
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A running quarterback would have had a better chance than one that relies solely on his arm. >>

Maybe a better chance in that game, but a worse chance of making the playoffs and winning in the playoffs.

• Options

<< <i>Yeah, Manning "choked" by breaking Tom Brady's Super Bowl Completion Record against one of the Top 5 defenses in the history of the NFL. image >>

Really? OMG. That's like saying the Titanic stayed afloat for a good hour before it sunk. You had no running game to.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yeah, Manning "choked" by breaking Tom Brady's Super Bowl Completion Record against one of the Top 5 defenses in the history of the NFL. image >>

Really? OMG. That's like saying the Titanic stayed afloat for a good hour before it sunk. You had no running game to. >>

No, what I'm saying is, the Titanic (Manning/GOAT) sunk because of the iceberg (Seattle's awesome Defense).
  • Options
    I was rooting for Seattle, and I had them picked to win 24-13. Fact is, Manning was the only good thing about Denver, and even he couldn't stand against Seattle's DST.

Denver had NO defense, no run game, and terrible coaching. Seattle has a great quarterback, Beast Mode, Pete Carroll, and the best defense we've seen in a decade.
  • Options

<< <i>i think Mr. Piggs may have been at that game trying not to wipe the ear-to-ear smile off his face. or wherever he happened to be at the time. enjoy it Doug. image >>

Haa Haa, thanks Itzagoner. Sunday was one of the best days of my life. I haven't lived in a Championship city since I was in Junior High living in Oregon when the Trailblazers won the NBA Championship in 1977. Working and living

in Seattle for the last 20 years has had way more downs than ups as far as sports teams go. Having the chance to cover the Seahawks over the years has been a pleasure and honor. This year was special, the guys on the team

knew it and with a crushing defense they wouldn't be denied. Didn't matter who quarterbacked against them on Sunday, they had no chance. I'm excited, overwhelmed, happy, and proud of the Seahawks and my city. And now,

since I didn't sleep from Sunday until last night I will celebrate with a few wings.......extra sauce!

• Options

<< <i>I was rooting for Seattle, and I had them picked to win 24-13. Fact is, Manning was the only good thing about Denver, and even he couldn't stand against Seattle's DST.

Denver had NO defense, no run game, and terrible coaching. Seattle has a great quarterback, Beast Mode, Pete Carroll, and the best defense we've seen in a decade. >>

Sorry Jeff, I misunderstood where you were coming from, working on little sleep. Apologize.