Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The last DCARR '64 D Peace Dollar sold for $500

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
I initially bought 5 for approximately $100 each/ or $500. total.
Sold one to a former board member, and one on eBay for $150 each in the early months.
Then a guy came in the shop about a year later and bought 2 of them for $225 each. I held the last one, until yesterday.
The new owner was happy to pay $500.

Initial Costs : $500
Profit $750.
Sales Tax Paid on $950@ 7% to the city.
Hassles from the NSA, SS, FBI, U.S. Treasury, or the IRS : Zero
Friends made : 5

Experience: Excellent
Quality : Excellent
Satisfaction: Excellent

Thanks Dan.

RIP or R.I.P. ? … the same difference

The End

Comments

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    My first went for $675.

LINKimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the prices are not cooling off..... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Heroin has an active two way market and bring strong prices, doesn't mean it's legit.

• Options
    nice job, I like his items.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your story TS 2AC: Priceless

I love my 64's.

I haven't thought about parting with em' yet.

Some coins to me are a bit too special.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Heroin has an active two way market and bring strong prices, doesn't mean it's legit. >>

Wrong venue, try here:

link
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Years ago I gave one of mine to the Palmreader who got me to sell all my stock market holdings on November 13, 2007. It saved me from financial ruin.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!
    Not selling mine, or even holding for a higher price. I like them...Not quite as much as the Oregon Trail however.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congratulations!
    Not selling mine, or even holding for a higher price. I like them…Not quite as much as the Oregon Trail however. >>

The buyer laughed when I said, "Look, _ _ _ _ (sworn to secrecy), I need to hug this before I let it go"
    It really was a beautifully overstruck fantasy piece and the ONLY reason this man bought it was because of the STORY he read about it.

He said, "I just have to have it". And in that moment, tears welled in my eyes and I held it close to me for one last embrace. image
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Still have my PL one. Just bought one for my collection. Not selling.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Still have my PL one. Just bought one for my collection. Not selling. >>

Me, too. I sold my MS version, which made the PL one free...
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Heroin has an active two way market and bring strong prices, doesn't mean it's legit. >>

What on earth are you.... Oh wait, I see who posted it and now I understand.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. You did well on the $500. I have a set and am a fan so I ain't selling mine. But in checking on realized prices on Ebay just now, seems like your $500 was a good price for you as a few were around $300-$350. I actually like all of Dan's over strikes. I missed out on the Morgans though.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A classic in its own time.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predicted 1K for these eventually and was laughed at. Seems now the laughs are only half as loud. My opinion on these is that they will get respect the same as 19th century restrikes. Eventually they will be "collected" along with Peace Dollars by date and MM
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I predicted 1K for these eventually and was laughed at. Seems now the laughs are only half as loud. My opinion on these is that they will get respect the same as 19th century restrikes. Eventually they will be "collected" along with Peace Dollars by date and MM >>

I fully agree. I had mine encapsulated in the ANACS slabs when I bought mine from Daniel Carr. This way there would be no question that they were designated as restrikes. Someday, I further predict that PCGS or NGC will slab them as well.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Although they have already seemingly done well in the aftermarket, the investment at least to me is in having a great coin that I look at much more frequently than most of my other US mint bits and pieces, new and old (I had already posted that Dan's Oregon Trail is superior in appearance to my original MS65 O.T.). They have increased the pleasure of me having coins in general and not just for this genre.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Although they have already seemingly done well in the aftermarket, the investment at least to me is in having a great coin that I look at much more frequently than most of my other US mint bits and pieces, new and old (I had already posted that Dan's Oregon Trail is superior in appearance to my original MS65 O.T.). They have increased the pleasure of me having coins in general and not just for this genre. >>

I still kick my own arse for not getting one of the Oregon Trail '27-D coins. They are one of his best pieces.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're familiar with the heroin market, are you ?

Regardless, your classification of heroin as a "two-way" market totally fails, in my opinion.

The subject of this thread is perfect evidence that the "1964-D" over-strike Peace Dollars have a two-way market.
    The heroin market, however, is perhaps a perfect example of a ONE-WAY market.
    Do you think the "pusher" is going to ever buy heroin back from the junkie ? Of course not. Not even if the junkie had heroin to sell.
    Via organized-crime distribution channels, heroin flows from the poppy fields to the end user - never the other way around.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>nice job, I like his items. >>

yes, he has some nice items
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>nice job, I like his items. >>

yes, he has some nice items >>

1910-D IHCs are now available.
  • Options
    I think the 1963 Kennedy halves may still outdo the 1964-D Peace dollars!!!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the final total mintage of the Dan Carr fantasy 1964-D dollar?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>What was the final total mintage of the Dan Carr fantasy 1964-D dollar? >>

1964 image

From Dan's Production Blog:

<< <i>Current Status:
    The dies have been totally defaced and scrapped.
    Total production (all types & issues combined, prior to die cancellation): 1,964.
    50 additional pieces were broad-struck using the cancelled dies on various items.
    Items that were destroyed after striking are not included in the mintage totals. >>

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Meaningless, I won't invest in them anytime soon. Luck happens in multiple happenstances....I see zero trend on such few transactions for an item that is very pretty and well done but still worth only its melt to mine shabby eyes. >>

No. I don't suppose you will since they are worth about what you'd pay for one today. ($500) Which means, it would be a poor investment for you.

Some people, on the other hand, bought them for $90 or $100 and THAT was a "good investment"! A very good investment! Kinda like when Microsoft Stock was at $21 a share?

Will Dan have future "good investments"? Maybe but the Peace Dollar set the mark and that mark will be difficult to break.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the 1963 Kennedy halves may still outdo the 1964-D Peace dollars!!! >>

I'd pay attention also to the “1964-D” Franklin Silver Half Dollars. Only 278 produced, all the same die pair and finish.

1964 Franklins
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think the 1963 Kennedy halves may still outdo the 1964-D Peace dollars!!! >>

I'd pay attention also to the “1964-D” Franklin Silver Half Dollars. Only 278 produced, all the same die pair and finish.

1964 Franklins >>

From the production blog:

<< <i>Four (not released) were struck over 1964 copper Lincoln Memorial Cents. >>

I wonder if any of these resembled the CRO 1963 Franklin Cent (PCGS 13958295). It would be great to have a '64 to go with it! If Dan does have one, I think he should consider selling it to the owner of the CRO 1963 Franklin Cent.
  • Options
    He produces some very nice pieces, glad I still have the whole set.
  • Options
    Isn't the Kennedy half dollar still considered the most popular coin in the world?

At least it was back in the 1960's?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

1964 Franklins >>

From the production blog:

<< <i>Four (not released) were struck over 1964 copper Lincoln Memorial Cents. >>

I wonder if any of these resembled the CRO 1963 Franklin Cent (PCGS 13958295). It would be great to have a '64 to go with it! If Dan does have one, I think he should consider selling it to the owner of the CRO 1963 Franklin Cent. >>

I don't have any pictures. But yes, the four pieces struck over 1964 cents are very similar in appearance and arrangement to the CRO coin (except for the date).
  • Options

<< <i>Isn't the Kennedy half dollar still considered the most popular coin in the world?

At least it was back in the 1960's? >>

When I was 10, we took a trip to England in 1968.
    We took some silver 1964 Kennedy half dollars, and we were able to "spend" them at most shops for what seemed like a very favorable rate (the shopkeepers wanted the coins).
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a nice return.

Which of the current coins for sale do you think will do well from an investment point of view?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    The current 1963 Kennedy looks like maybe alright but mintage "204 so far" leaves this slightly in doubt.

I tend to favor his larger coins in half and dollar denomination, perhaps a function of age? Seriously though, I don't resell mine so probably not the right person to answer this.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I predicted 1K for these eventually and was laughed at. Seems now the laughs are only half as loud. My opinion on these is that they will get respect the same as 19th century restrikes. Eventually they will be "collected" along with Peace Dollars by date and MM >>

I predict you'll be quite wrong in that view. image LOL
  • Options
    Addendum note:

For those thinking PCGS may not ever slab, please be aware that they slab the Geoffrey Hearn Souvenir crowns for the Brit colonies and also the more recent varieties of these including the "Patina" types that were made in ??England even up to the last two or three years...

These are not copies and are not overstruck on any original types.
  • Options

I'd sure like one of those, but I still want the 1927 Oregon more.

Has anybody else noticed these:

I'd still like an '09-O!
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have and the penny is tempting.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Isn't the Kennedy half dollar still considered the most popular coin in the world?

We took some silver 1964 Kennedy half dollars, and we were able to "spend" them at most shops for what seemed like a very favorable rate (the shopkeepers wanted the coins). >>

Were you collecting at the time? If so, did you get a Churchhill Crown while you were over there?

Similar situation to the Kennedy half, a beloved leader recently deceased, though not as tragically. I remember when they came out in 1965 the National Bank of Detroit branch that my parents banked at was selling them for a dollar each. I think that the pound was somewhere around $2.40-$2.80 at the time, so for one fourth of a Pound the price was not unreasonable.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Penny is quite nice in hand and better than I'd hoped...Just came today.
  • Options

<< <i>

Similar situation to the Kennedy half, a beloved leader recently deceased, though not as tragically. I remember when they came out in 1965 the National Bank of Detroit branch that my parents banked at was selling them for a dollar each. I think that the pound was somewhere around $2.40-$2.80 at the time, so for one fourth of a Pound the price was not unreasonable. >>

And the Churchill crowns are still affordable - about a dollar a piece in decent shape. I have bunches of them I have gotten in job lots of British coins.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

We took some silver 1964 Kennedy half dollars, and we were able to "spend" them at most shops for what seemed like a very favorable rate (the shopkeepers wanted the coins). >>

Were you collecting at the time? If so, did you get a Churchhill Crown while you were over there?

Similar situation to the Kennedy half, a beloved leader recently deceased, though not as tragically. I remember when they came out in 1965 the National Bank of Detroit branch that my parents banked at was selling them for a dollar each. I think that the pound was somewhere around $2.40-$2.80 at the time, so for one fourth of a Pound the price was not unreasonable. >>

I was 10 years old at the time - not really into collecting anything yet. Even though not a collector at the time, I do have some numismatic-related (and other) memories of that trip:

We first flew to New York, and then waited 8 hours for a delayed flight to Iceland. I remember that big old (slow) turbo-prop Icelandic Airways plane, with prop droaning all night long. While trying to sleep, somwhere off the coast of Greenland in the middle of the night, we hit an air pocket or something and dropped a thousand feet in a few seconds. Things in the cabin briefly levitated. I remember the metal rack on the bulkhead of the cabin had a sign that said "Fire Extinguisher" with an arrow pointing to the rack. But the rack did not contain a fire extinguisher. It contained a Bible. Upon arrival in Iceland we found that the hotel had given our room to another party because the flight was 8 hours late. There were no hotel rooms available anywhere. So the hotel put us up with an Icelandic family. We stayed with them for a week. I remember taking a bath and the hot water came straight out of the ground - no water heater necessary. We traded one 1964 Kennedys for a bunch of 1940 and 1946 Icelandic coins. The lowest Icelandic denomination was the 1-Aur, a tiny little aluminum thing. We found them all over the streets. People would drop them and then rarely bother to pick them up due to the miniscule value. We visited some geologic sites on a tour. At the geyser field, you could walk right up to the pool and look straight down the vertical blue-green shaft of scalding hot water. If you fell in, or didd't run fast enough when the ground started rumbling, it was your own fault. A far cry from today's Yellowstone, where you can't get within 500 yards of anything like that.

We then flow to London, arriving at about 3:00 AM. We took an old-style London taxi to the hotel. The driver was a madman. Screeching tires and violent swaying through the deserted intersections of London. My Dad rented a van and we spent a month driving fom Cornwall to Scotland, and even took it on a ferry to Ireland for a week. At the time we were there, they were just changing over from the old shillings system to the decimal "New Pence" coins. This caused a lot of confusion with everyone. We visited Stonehenge and, at that time, you could walk around and actually touch the rocks. Not any more. We took an excursion aboard the Brighton Belle train to the old resort area Brighton Beach. It was pretty much deserted by mid-September. There were small amusement arcades everywhere with coin-operated games and slot machines. I remember putting a few silver 6-pence coins into a slot machine. There were no laws agains minors gambling. At a candy shop, we traded one 1964 Kennedy for a whole big bag of goodies.

We stopped at some small town and my parents went into a hotel to check on getting a room. While waiting outside in the van (I was sitting in the far back seat), out of nowhere a drunk hopped into the driver's seat, mumbled something about "driving to town", and tried to start the van (my Dad had left the key in the ignition). He was too drunk to do that successfully on the first try. My older brother (who was 17) was sitting near the front and he just said "get out" and gave the drunk the dirtiest stare-down look of all time. The drunk just sort of froze, and then slowly opened the door and fell out, got up, and staggered down the street without saying anything.

I remember a lot of different arcades and street fairs that we visited. Everywhere we went, it seemed that there were scads of big old pennys in circulation. Not just newer dates, but a LOT from the teens and twenties, and many back into the 1800s.

Strangely, I do not ever remember getting (or even seeing) a Churchill crown on that whole trip.

The food was bad. I got to miss the entire first month of 7th grade image
  • Options

<< <i>That is a nice return.

Which of the current coins for sale do you think will do well from an investment point of view? >>

That is not really for me to say.
    I like to make coins that I myself would be interested it.
    If they go up in value in the aftermarket, so much the better.
    But my goal is simply to make neat coins, and earn a living doing it.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That is a nice return.

Which of the current coins for sale do you think will do well from an investment point of view? >>

That is not really for me to say.
    I like to make coins that I myself would be interested it.
    If they go up in value in the aftermarket, so much the better.
    But my goal is simply to make neat coins, and earn a living doing it. >>

On a related side note:

I think anyone interested in the minting process and coins in general should click on your moonlight mint link at the bottom of your post and then click on Grabener Coin Press Artifacts and Pictures. I really enjoyed that section of your website. image
  • Options

<< <i>When I was 10, we took a trip to England in 1968.
    (...)
    We visited Stonehenge and, at that time, you could walk around and actually touch the rocks. Not any more. >>

Not since the Griswolds visited, in any case.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great family trip! We went to Toledo once!

Ohio!

As to the food, W.C. Fields once said that English vegetables all tasted as if they had been boiled in a strong soap!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When I was 10, we took a trip to England in 1968.
    (...)
    We visited Stonehenge and, at that time, you could walk around and actually touch the rocks. Not any more. >>

Not since the Griswolds visited, in any case. >>

Post Of The Day! image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

<< <i>Sounds like a great family trip! We went to Toledo once!

Ohio!

As to the food, W.C. Fields once said that English vegetables all tasted as if they had been boiled in a strong soap! >>

Not quite. Soap actually has a flavor.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>[I remember the metal rack on the bulkhead of the cabin had a sign that said "Fire Extinguisher" with an arrow pointing to the rack. But the rack did not contain a fire extinguisher. It contained a Bible. >>

Well, ultimately, like just about like anything else, ya just gotta have faith. LOL
  • Options
    LMMLMM Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Ordered the penney really beautiful piece!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file