Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The last DCARR '64 D Peace Dollar sold for $500

2»

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daniel - do you know if you flew on a twin engined DC-3, four engined DC-4 or a four engined Vickers Viscount? Iceland Air was flying all three types into the early 1970s. Apparently their oldest DC-3 is still airworthy but no longer flying revenue.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Daniel - do you know if you flew on a twin engined DC-3, four engined DC-4 or a four engined Vickers Viscount? Iceland Air was flying all three types into the early 1970s. Apparently their oldest DC-3 is still airworthy but no longer flying revenue. >>

It was definitely a big 4-engine plane. I don't know if it was a DC-4 or a Vickers.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Nice to get some updates on the 64 Ds since I haven't been following on eBay. Mine are safely tucked away in the SDB, but I also love the Oregon Trail and the Franklins especially, and Dan's 1861 overstrike Confederate double eagle is a real standout that may become highly sought-after in the future. Of course, I love the Ameros and Hard Times tokens as well.

I used to highly prefer the silver, but now I really enjoy the copper pieces as well. Only reason I'm not ordering the IHC is because my eyesight is not what it used to be. As for future suggestions:

* Brasher doubloon
    * California territorials
    * Octagonal Pan-Pac
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Daniel - do you know if you flew on a twin engined DC-3, four engined DC-4 or a four engined Vickers Viscount? Iceland Air was flying all three types into the early 1970s. Apparently their oldest DC-3 is still airworthy but no longer flying revenue. >>

It was definitely a big 4-engine plane. I don't know if it was a DC-4 or a Vickers. >>

Bet the inflight movie wasn't "The High and the Mighty!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It was definitely a big 4-engine plane. I don't know if it was a DC-4 or a Vickers. >>

Bet the inflight movie wasn't "The High and the Mighty!"

image >>

The in-flight "movie" was watching the blackness out the window over the North Atlantic.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was a big 4 engined plane I would bet it was the DC-4. I was a young kid in the early 1970s and even then was fascinated with aviation, well my dad worked on the SR-71 while in 'Nam so aviation was in my face. I remember flying around in the Midwest of the USA on DC-3s and DC-6s and seeing ANG F-84 and F-86 parked on the tarmacs at regional airports then. I got a real kick out of all the prop planes then - sort of the end of that era - by then the props were relegated to feeder airlines serving small cities while jets had replaced the props on all the major routes.

Aside from some forgettable airlines in S. America, Buffalo Airways in Northwest Territories Canada is the last scheduled airline still flying DC-3s and DC-4s. They even have a reality show in Canada called "Ice Pilots" that is one I have to watch surreptitiously because for some licensing reason it is not available in the USA.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    I remember going out to Detroit Metropolitan Airport with my Dad about 1960(?) to pick up Grandma, who was flying back from Las Vegas with one of my aunts. Grandma liked to gamble. They had an open air observation deck atop the terminal that we walked up to to watch the planes take off and land. No jets, which would have been too noisy.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This '64-D Peace Dollar is currently for sale for $578.87.

I like these pieces and have to say this is a creative presentation by the seller (not me).

imageimage
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This '64-D Peace Dollar is currently for sale for $578.87.

I like these pieces and have to say this is a creative presentation by the seller (not me).

imageimage >>

Creative? Maybe.
    Disingenuous? I think that is a big YES!

To put it in a USMint official box that has housed an honestly released, unmolested, coin, is getting deceptive...as more than a few of us knew would be done. The slope starts out normal and then, inch by inch, seller by seller, gets a bit more slippery....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This '64-D Peace Dollar is currently for sale for $578.87.

imageimage >>

Creative? Maybe.
    Disingenuous? I think that is a big YES!

To put it in a USMint official box that has housed an honestly released, unmolested, coin, is getting deceptive...as more than a few of us knew would be done. The slope starts out normal and then, inch by inch, seller by seller, gets a bit more slippery.... >>

Not to mention the fact that the US Mint could possible issue a cease and desist order since its "name" is being used to sell a product which is not a US Mint product.

Remember the Scandal over the Hot Springs Quarters? The US Mint sent Chattanooga Coin Company a Cease and desist letter when they advertised in Coin World using US Mint, United States Mint and America the Beautiful (all are registered trademarks) terms to sell slabbed coins from the Hot Springs Release Ceremony.

(Ref: Coin World, May 31, 2010)

This eBay seller appears to have even crossed that line.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    From the auction:

"COIN IS PICTURED IN THE CONDITION AND PACKAGING IT WAS PURCHASED."

Ugh.

Eric

Edit to add: The above could also be taken to imply Dan sold it like this, which is also problematic! We know it is not the "case", but do bidders? Questions to the seller might prove interesting.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say that it's a problem the way they are selling it in the US Mint packaging...I also say that Dan would never sell his product in such a way, as anyone who buys from him knows that the product comes in his flip (sometimes signed) or an ANACS holder (always signed). I also, also, say that since Dan makes such a small amount/mintage of each piece that our broke government has little to shell away at another frivolous lawsuit, especially for an eBay seller with a couple beefed-up Dcarr pieces, IMO. I also, also, also say that I wish I would have picked one of each of these up (all varieties) when they were originally available.

...oh, and I also, also, also, also say that my movie 'Airplane!' Just ended and I'm going to bed now...I mean sleep image

Erik
  • Options

<< <i>I say that it's a problem the way they are selling it in the US Mint packaging...I also say that Dan would never sell his product in such a way, as anyone who buys from him knows that the product comes in his flip (sometimes signed) or an ANACS holder (always signed). I also, also, say that since Dan makes such a small amount/mintage of each piece that our broke government has little to shell away at another frivolous lawsuit, especially for an eBay seller with a couple beefed-up Dcarr pieces, IMO. I also, also, also say that I wish I would have picked one of each of these up (all varieties) when they were originally available.

...oh, and I also, also, also, also say that my movie 'Airplane!' Just ended and I'm going to bed now...I mean sleep image

Erik >>

Looks like you picked the wrong week to quit saying "also" image

Eric
  • Options
  • Options
    Hassles from the NSA, SS, FBI, U.S. Treasury, or the IRS : Zero

Give it time... They are preoccupied investigating other Americans.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I love Daniel's work, but think eBay should shut this seller down. I'm guessing Daniel would agree. This presentation is highly misleading, even though it's a great idea for how to present one of the coins in one's own personal collection.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    I wrote to him about the packaging, and he has added a line that to the best of his knowledge this is not original packaging.
  • Options

<< <i>From the auction:

Ugh.

Eric

Edit to add: The above could also be taken to imply Dan sold it like this, which is also problematic! We know it is not the "case", but do bidders? Questions to the seller might prove interesting. >>

I purchased 4 of these and all arrived in flips.

He also states: "TO MY BEST KNOWLEDGE THIS IS NOT ORIGINAL PACKAGING."

Was this added?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>From the auction:

Ugh.

Eric

Edit to add: The above could also be taken to imply Dan sold it like this, which is also problematic! We know it is not the "case", but do bidders? Questions to the seller might prove interesting. >>

Was this added? >>

See above.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>From the auction:

Ugh.

Eric

Was this added? >>

According to the post right on top of yours it was added...image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>From the auction:

Ugh.

Eric

Was this added? >>

See above. >>

I just did!

DUH! I aren't really as stooped as I sometimes look like I'm,

Oh bother.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>From the auction:

Ugh.

Eric

Was this added? >>

According to the post right on top of yours it was added...image >>

Rub it in.............

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>From the auction:

Ugh.

Eric

Was this added? >>

According to the post right on top of yours it was added...image >>

Rub it in............. >>

I type slow...and another was added before I finished...image
  • Options
    Although the coins are well known, and information about them is readily available on the internet for anyone who spends a couple minutes researching,
    I still prefer not to see them listed and packaged in that manner.

I sent a message to the seller via eBay.
    I offered to send them original packaging that I provided (flip and printed insert) if they agree to remove all visual and written references to US Mint packaging.
  • Options
    The seller has removed all images of, and references to, US Mint packaging in the listing.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go, Dan!

Have I said how much I appreciate you offering/minting the 64 Peace, enough, yet??
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>Way to go, Dan!

Have I said how much I appreciate you offering/minting the 64 Peace, enough, yet?? >>

I think so, but thanks again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file