Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Opinions..may sell 1972 unopened wax box

Hi guys,
Thinking of selling an unopened box of 1972 wax 5th/6th series, 24 packs. Also, has steves blessing. So what's the best way that you would sell just one box? eBay(BIN or auction), AH and which auction house do you guys think is best (fees/commission/exposure/specializes) or offers from CU? Also, some other 70's boxes depending on the price.

...also, what do you think is the going value currently? I think I saw fritsch listed one or some, couldnbe mistaken.
Just needing some cash. And have a couple cards I have my eye on. It's not an emergency so I can wait for an AH.

Oh, and I'm so tempted to sit one evening and rip one "delicious"pack after another.

Thanks for the input.

Comments

• totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 931 ✭✭✭
    I'm no expert on this, but I would think if you have a full box of 72 wax unopened, I'd figure out how much a pack goes for, from there I'd tally up what you think you could get for the box and tack on another 25-50 percent per pack.

Once I did that I'd ask myself how bad I need the money, because in 25 years from now I don't know if I wanna even know how much of an increase that would be....

Whatever you choose, good luck!
  • If it were me I would move it through Steve. He probably has private parties looking for these types of boxes already lined up, and I am sure his commission would be much less than an auction house. Avoiding stress and headaches of auctions would be in your favor too. Just me opinion. Good luck!
    How about a pic of the box for us?
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    before you do anything else, threaten to bust it here and you shall be rewarded with a host of replies reminding you that your investment is about to tank, your quest for Gem Mint 10s is about to plotz into the crapper and your days as a heavy hitter are done.
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of collector here that will pay you market value for your box or boxes. I know for a fact that many of the boxes that have been bought in major auctions are being purchased by collectors you see responding to unopened threads. Just price it where you want to be and it will be sold.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • That's all great advice.
    Thx
    Btw..anyone know what fair market value is currently?
    See it still going up in th next 3-5yrs?
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    Last sale of such a box was at about $7200 with BP (consignor probably netted around $6k).

These boxes came from a find from a former Topps executive in 2012. I believe there were slightly more than a case of
    these boxes in that group.

We broke one of these boxes in a CU rip a little over a year ago and the cards that came out of it were exceptional. The
    centering was amongst the best we have ever seen in a break, and the cards were well focused and clean as can be.
    I pulled both a Ryan (graded PSA 7 due to a side ding) and a Rose (PSA 8.5 and should have been a 9) from that rip. The
    commons were did a bit better.

When you consider that a 1973 Topps Series 5 box last sold for over $10k, I think the 1972 Topps 5th/6th series boxes
    are dramatically undervalued. With Rose (559 and 560), Ryan (595), Garvey (686), Carew (695 and 696) and all of the
    low-pop, high grade high numbers there is quite a bit more potential value in the 1972 box.

If you need the cash now then you need the cash now, but I see the 1-3 year future of these boxes being at least 50%
    higher than the last sale on record.

Dave
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I have an unopened 3rd series box of 1972 Topps baseball. Any idea what it would fetch?
    1972 third series boasts the Aaron cards (299/300) and the Clemente cards (309/310) as the headliners. The value can be in a pretty wide range
    depending on whether the box is sealed in shrink-wrap by BBCE, has other solid provenance or is just a wax bux you purchased from an AH or off Ebay.

In my opinion, such a box with BBCE blessing or solid provenance probbaly has a current retail value in the $6k +/- 10% range. Without that kind of
    authenticity opinion, its probably about 20% less.

Dave
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Last sale of such a box was at about $7200 with BP (consignor probably netted around $6k).

These boxes came from a find from a former Topps executive in 2012. I believe there were slightly more than a case of
    these boxes in that group.

We broke one of these boxes in a CU rip a little over a year ago and the cards that came out of it were exceptional. The
    centering was amongst the best we have ever seen in a break, and the cards were well focused and clean as can be.
    I pulled both a Ryan (graded PSA 7 due to a side ding) and a Rose (PSA 8.5 and should have been a 9) from that rip. The
    commons were did a bit better.

When you consider that a 1973 Topps Series 5 box last sold for over $10k, I think the 1972 Topps 5th/6th series boxes
    are dramatically undervalued. With Rose (559 and 560), Ryan (595), Garvey (686), Carew (695 and 696) and all of the
    low-pop, high grade high numbers there is quite a bit more potential value in the 1972 box.

If you need the cash now then you need the cash now, but I see the 1-3 year future of these boxes being at least 50%
    higher than the last sale on record. >>

I certainly have no idea what these should sell for now or in the future but the bullishness in these posts is astonishing. This is more euphoric then the forecasts for internet stocks at one time.
    70Topps is absolutely correct on the value of these boxes. The important thing to look at is the provenance of any box that is for sale. I know some guys like to make a box by buying a pack here and there to make it complete. This has a significant less value than a box that came from Fritch, Hart or staright from a case. Good luck with the sale Steelernation.
    higher than the last sale on record. >>

So if these annualize at a 17% rate of return where do you see them stopping? Using the rule of 72 this will double ever 4.23 years.
    I wouldn't call it "bullishness".

These boxes are valued based upon a combination of the potential of what is inside, plus the collectibility of
    legitimately unopened material that has survived intact since it was originally produced.

If a 1973 5th series box (Schmidt RC series) is selling above $10k, then when you consider what it contains
    versus what the 1972 5th/6th series box contains then the 1972 box is certainly worth at least as much as the
    Schmidt series box.

In terms of the valuation based upon being legitimately unopened, the relative scarcity of the 1972 5th/6th
    series boxes (of which we have seen only about a dozen in existence), is significantly greater than the scarcity
    of the 1973 5th series box.

Lastly, we broke a 1973 5th series box here on the board in the same break we did the 1972 5th/6th series
    box and the quality of what came from the 1973 box was dramatically inferior to what came out of the 1972
    box.

We know that all of the 1972 boxes came from the same source and were from either the same case or a small
    number of cases. With the 1973 boxes, the only significant source who had them in any volume is Fritsch and the
    larger number of other 1973 boxes could have come from many different cases.

With the current market value of the 1973 5th series box at around $10k, it seems like a no-brainer that the
    higher-potential value, scarcer, better quality 1972 5th/6th series boxes are certainly woth at least as much
    (and probably somewhat more).

Call that being bullish if you want, but I think that the facts speak for themselves.
    5th/6th series

Dave
    Rule of 72 has no bearing in this right now.

Relative to what has happened in the rest of the market for that era of material the 1972 boxes
    will catch up to their peers. Once they have, it may stabilize for a while or we may continue to
    see the diminishing supply of material continue to drive prices higher.

All that can be said for sure is that the 1972 boxes have not yet experienced the increase that has
    been seen by their peers from other years, and they are scarcer (and have a much higher likelihood
    of better quality contents based on what we have seen from our rip than their peers).

Nothing goes up forever, but these 1972 boxes definitely still have upside until they at least meet their
    peers.

Dave
  • buntbunt Posts: 625
    Does anyone here contest the fact that a vintage box, or even, a pack, will bring you 99 percent of the cards being worthless when compared to what one is hoping for in value ?

Keep it sealed for the next sucker at buying vintage "sealed"
    I understand what is driving the market.

I would just consider making forecasts of ever rising prices as bullishness. There are certain collectibles that trend higher over time and have little if any price correction. That being said a 50% jump in a 1 to 3 year period is huge for an already valuable item and that is a bullish forecast no matter what the supply and demand characteristics look like.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am as optimistic as anyone regarding unopened product over the long term, but I don't foresee prices continuing to rise over the next 2 years at the unprecedented level they've risen over the past 2 years. I believe we are going to see a leveling off of prices in the near term, with more modest appreciation over the next couple of years. I think over 10K for a 5th series 73 box is rather overvalued right now, as you can pick up PSA graded packs from that series in the $275 range for NM packs that are box fresh.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Your point is not unreasonable IF you are only looking at this as a single item.

When you look at it as one or many individual members of the market it isnt about
    rule of 72.

In late 2011 you could buy a box of 1973 5th series with BBCE authentication for about $3800.
    The next we saw them were in Collect Auctions going for upward of $7k with BP in 2012. Move
    to 2013 where we have seen REA and others getting over $10k for the same boxes!

In the same period we have seen 1973 4th series boxes move from $1800 to $3400.

In the same period we have seen 1975 mini boxes move from $1200 to $2200 (there were
    at least 15 cases of these known to exist, so they are nowhere near as scare).

In the same period we have seen 1976 boxes move $1600 to about $3200.

My statement that there is at least 50% upside in the 1972 5th/6th series boxes is based
    on the facts that they are much scarcer, contain better potential value and based on the
    story behind them probably come from a single case (or possibly two) and the rips that have
    been done of them have yielded very high quality results. Since coming on the market they
    have moved from $6k to about $7200-$7300. They have another $2.5k-$3k in them just
    to be a rough parity to their contemporaries.

Also take into consideration that there are a group of newer entrants (as well as some of the existing
    whales) who have come into this market and have been buying up everything they can get their hands on
    at just about any price. As supply continues to get harder to find, their motivation to purchase seems to
    move geometrically higher.

Time will tell

Dave
  • Thx 70topps and all. I'm so much better informed. I do agree. At least 25-30% is still left. 7k to possibly 9k. I'm in not that much of a hurry and may wait a yr. Also, you really want to make me rip them considering what's in there. That'd be fun. But 8k is a lot of money for anyone.
    For quality unopened material, it's hard to justify the AH's commission. It pretty much sells itself.

I've really enjoyed just keeping up with the discussion.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thx 70topps and all. I'm so much better informed. I do agree. At least 25-30% is still left. 7k to possibly 9k. I'm in not that much of a hurry and may wait a yr. Also, you really want to make me rip them considering what's in there. That'd be fun. But 8k is a lot of money for anyone.
    For quality unopened material, it's hard to justify the AH's commission. It pretty much sells itself.

I've really enjoyed just keeping up with the discussion. >>

Also, I noticed a sale where all the packs were graded. Depending on what that costs? It might be a good idea for resale?

Last thing ya want is to sell it and have someone go nuts and say the packs were resealed.
    Mike
  • I'd sell now. The market has peaked.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    til it peaks again at the next National.
  • I really appreciates everyone's input. Learned a lot. I think the rate of return is leveling of. But I agree with topps that there's more room for the 72 to catch up to it's brethren. There's no hurry so I'll prob sit back for a little bit.

As some have said, we've peaked and prob will go down. I'm not so sure. But if prices do decrease for vintage I'll be first in line to buy more.

Thx again. You guys literally make this board what it is, a quality source of knowledge.
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd sell now. The market has peaked. >>

I'd would disagree. Prices are still climbing.

aconte
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd sell now. The market has peaked. >>

I'd would disagree. Prices are still climbing.

aconte >>

I'd be interested to know how people distinguish between a bubble run up and reasonable appreciation in this market. We've established that the prices being paid for unopened product have no "fundamentals", ie are not based on expected value of PSA graded contents. I understand that the unopened material has value as a collectible in its own right, but on what basis does one decide on valuation? Just going by what people are paying does nothing to rule out a big-time bubble.
    I don't believe prices will continue to rise at the accelerated rate we've seen going back the last couple of years, but I would expect a more modest continued appreciation in prices going forward. The allure and appeal of unopened product is always going to defy fundamentals to a certain extent, but authentic unopened product (unlike graded card pops) will only become scarcer over time.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    I don't believe prices will continue to rise at the accelerated rate we've seen going back the last couple of years, but I would expect a more modest continued appreciation in prices going forward. The allure and appeal of unopened product is always going to defy fundamentals to a certain extent, but authentic unopened product (unlike graded card pops) will only become scarcer over time.

Jesus Tim--SSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't believe prices will continue to rise at the accelerated rate we've seen going back the last couple of years, but I would expect a more modest continued appreciation in prices going forward. The allure and appeal of unopened product is always going to defy fundamentals to a certain extent, but authentic unopened product (unlike graded card pops) will only become scarcer over time. >>

Well put, Tim. I completely agree.

Justin
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't believe prices will continue to rise at the accelerated rate we've seen going back the last couple of years, but I would expect a more modest continued appreciation in prices going forward. The allure and appeal of unopened product is always going to defy fundamentals to a certain extent, but authentic unopened product (unlike graded card pops) will only become scarcer over time. >>

So if it continues to rise at accelerated rates, against your expectations, how long before it is considered a bubble? I know the markets are quite different, but when my home value more than doubled in less than three years, I knew there was a bubble in the housing market that would have to correct eventually. What are the criteria for determining an unopened bubble (without the benefit of hindsight)?
  • The criteria which makes this different is supply. In 07 there were some who "owned" 3 homes flipping. Bubble in stocks, there's a finite number which get unloaded then add the short sellers who all want to get out which accelerates the selling. In unopened, there is debate how much is actually hoarded and waiting. The point is the supply isn't going up, only down with every rip. There may be a pull back of 5-10% but I think there are a lot waiting for that. I'm a buyer if there's anywhere near a 15-20% decrease. I think were at a slower gradual climb in prices. No longer the 30-60% price increase which we've been seeing.
  • KurtisJosephKurtisJoseph Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The criteria which makes this different is supply. In 07 there were some who "owned" 3 homes flipping. Bubble in stocks, there's a finite number which get unloaded then add the short sellers who all want to get out which accelerates the selling. In unopened, there is debate how much is actually hoarded and waiting. The point is the supply isn't going up, only down with every rip. There may be a pull back of 5-10% but I think there are a lot waiting for that. I'm a buyer if there's anywhere near a 15-20% decrease. I think were at a slower gradual climb in prices. No longer the 30-60% price increase which we've been seeing. >>

You nailed it. Can't compare baseball cards to other markets - stocks, housing. To make it apples to apples, you would have to burn down houses every day, and never allow another house to be built.

Is this a bubble, maybe. But I don't recall any other corrections on vintage uopened that were so horrifying that I (or any of us) should not be buyers. If I wasn't married, I'd buy every box of 1972 I could get my hands on.

• 60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Opinions please.............How many unopened '72 wax boxes are there?

<< <i>Opinions please.............How many unopened '72 wax boxes are there? >>

No one can possibly quantify that. I would say not as many as I would like since they are going for 7K+ a box, LOL!

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't genuinely NEED the money, you would be a fool to sell it.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you don't genuinely NEED the money, you would be a fool to sell it. >>

Just to play devil's advocate....most here seem to think a "top" will never be reached. So assuming someone holding wax didn't want to take it to the grave, what would be a non-foolish point at which to sell?
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Just to play devil's advocate....most here seem to think a "top" will never be reached. So assuming someone holding wax didn't want to take it to the grave, what would be a non-foolish point at which to sell? >>

I am not one to think a top won't be reached and stay steady or even see a small dip. But I'd be stunned if prices if reached what they were 10, 5, or even 2 years ago.
    And like I said, I think maurice is wrong that the peak has been reached right now.

aconte
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Just to play devil's advocate....most here seem to think a "top" will never be reached. So assuming someone holding wax didn't want to take it to the grave, what would be a non-foolish point at which to sell? >>

Well, it sure seems to me (I am not an unopened collector) that in reading the recent posts, when BBCE gets in any wax boxes from the late 70's early 80's they sell out quickly and always at pretty significant increases. Looks to me like the buyers just can't get enough right now.

I would think there would be a HUGE demand for an early 70's box and the prices are increasing especially fast right now. If I HAD to make a suggestion, I would wait until next baseball season and see where it is at. With a segment of the collectors ripping whatever they get their hands on, I really don't EVER see the value of your box decreasing. I would wait until I perceived there was some leveling off of the prices, but that might never happen.

Good overall question about when to sell ANYTHING you don't want to go to the grave with. General answer is if you have a "bucket list" and your item will pay for something on that list, do it while you are still young enough to enjoy it. Hell, in that case, you might want to rip it yourself, might be a major money loss, but it sure would be fun!

Good luck on whatever you decide!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

• << <i>And like I said, I think maurice is wrong that the peak has been reached right now.

aconte >>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9UVlSIhOGQ
    I for one would love to see collectors start bringing out the material for sale. For two years many have cried that the sky is falling and to sell. Either not many people have it to sell or they don't believe the sky is falling.

• Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    just curious Criss - "you do" have product for sale or believe the sky is falling? wasn't sure which of Shane's scenarios you were referring to...
    Webb I believe he means that he has product for sale. Not sure if he has any for sale now or what he has.
  • Great discussion guys. I just had my eye on some individual cards and it would help pay some expenses. But I don't need the money to put food on the table. That's why I said I could wait if I went the AH route. But im convinced to sell direct. Actually probably one of you guys just since y'all took the time to offer advice. I still think there's slow growth in prices ahead, at worst.

Topps and others have been so insightful and convincing that now I'm actually thinking of BUYING more unopened than selling. Ha!
    Also, the temptation is there to sit back and open the box, pack by sweet pack. Pealing one card after another from the pack.....shivers.
    Tell you what, if I still have all of this when I'm in my 80's, I'm ripping everything. Forget the money and my offspring. image
  • MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I had the pure joy of ripping a 75 mini case a few years back. Nothing in my collecting experience before or since has come close to that bliss. I probably could have dragged it out a bit and savored it, but it was like being a drunk at a kegger...The numbers will never work to do something like that again sadly.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    I don't have a dog in this fight but it is an very interesting topic.

One of the things I find interesting is everyone is assuming the surge in the demand side of the equation will stay constant or increase.

After being active in the card market and watching all of the types of cards that exist I have come to the conclusion that many of the markets are very thin.

There are generally a handful of collectors that dominate specific genres or segments and have a very real impact on final prices. I continue to see the same board members who are very bullish on the unopened pack market beat the drum and they are the same individuals who own a large amount of inventory themselves. This is perfectly normal and there is nothing wrong with this behavior but it confirms my belief that the market could not clear if a large amount of these collectors brought their inventory all at once to the market.

If a specific item has a bid list of say 15 EBAY members it is very possible that a large percentage of those post on this board. Lets say an item generally might sell for $800 it is very rational for the bidders who own a like kind item to bid for example $500 for two reasons. One to buy the item on the perceived cheap and two to support the market. Many EBAY auctions have a pack of bidders and then a few that are much higher then the pack that determine the final price. If just a few of those bidders decide to leave the market for whatever reason the realized price is much lower.

I continue to only hear about the supply side of the market. Yes it is true that supply in the aggregate can never increase but on the micro level it can. If for whatever reason a few collectors decide they want to sell the supply can have a huge spike and while the overall supply has not increased the short term supply has. Yes it is fair to say that the current crop of buyers may quickly absorb this supply but it is an unknown.

One of the primary drivers at the moment is the swiftness of sales at BBCE. When a market is clearing so quickly it creates the element of I have to make a decision now or I am left out in the cold. As prices continue to rise they will finally reach a point where this fades.

I find it very troubling that the notion of sealed is trumping the break up value by such a large margin. If you look at much older packs from the 50's per say there are very few that remain in their sealed state so that in itself is collectible. When you move to 70's and 80's and beyond with such a large number holding these packs as investments it is really hard to say the supply is as tight naturally but more artificially.

When markets move wildly pasts fundamentals we can all come up with great reasons why it is fine but in the end markets generally overshoot on the way up and overshoot on the way down and with so many sealed packs selling for so much more then their break up value I think suggesting prices will continue to expand to the sky is very speculative.

There are many experts in all markets but in many cases prices move beyond their wildest dreams. It is fair to say I thought prices of wrestling cards would move up but when a sealed pack of the 1983 Wrestling All Stars sold for over $1,000 on EBAY I thought it was unsustainable even though I was thrilled. It is exciting when the cards or packs you own go wild but with thin markets they can correct just as fast.

I doubt you will see a major correction anytime soon but I would look at the bid lists and discount the final prices by a large number. That is what I do when I value my collection because it only takes a few to drive them up and it only takes a few to have them fall.

Obliviously this debate will continue and time will tell how it plays out but the extreme optimism suggest we are a near a peak in my opinion.

I find it very troubling that the notion of sealed is trumping the break up value by such a large margin

Have you noticed the meteoric rise of HOF rookie cards in PSA 9 from the 1970s lately? A PSA 9 75 mini Brett was a $400 card a couple years ago; now it's a $1,500 card. A PSA 9 Ozzie Smith RC was a $300 card a couple years ago. Now it's a $900 card. So if anything the appreciation in unopened prices has paled in comparison to the rise, percentage wise, of those graded cards. The PSA 9 73 Schmidt is another example.

The unopened market is certainly a niche market, but if anything, I see more people than ever collecting unopened product these days as the allure of vintage unopened product has a special appeal to many collectors. If anything, demand is higher now than ever before (as evidenced by prices over the past couple of years), and I don't see that changing.

I don't think prices will continue to rise at this rate for the next two years, but I certainly don't see prices falling anywhere near where they were two years ago, either.

• MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    There is a natural floor, which is the point where ripping makes financial sense. When it does, I have and will continue to buy and rip literally indefinitely, so will others. Now add a % of some kind for the pack collector who values the whole more than I value the parts and you have your floor. We are waaaay over that spot right now. Doesn't mean the bubble is bursting, now or ever, but it plays to Dpeck's point. There will be issues with much thinner float/support than others.

For giggles I will throw out 84 Donruss psa 10s for a lesson there, or any registry 10 commons. Same idea.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    [iFor giggles I will throw out 84 Donruss psa 10s for a lesson there, or any registry 10 commons. Same idea. ]

Therein lies the difference, imo--for so-called "low pop" commons, there is essentially one way for prices to go--and that's downward, as the pop reports rise and the supply of 10s exceeds the number of set collectors desiring them.

But with unopened product, the supply will only diminish over time, as even with these prices, I and many others continue to rip packs because we enjoy doing so as collectors and that PSA 9 Brett mini is worth a lot more now than it was in 2011. But as an unopened collector, there are many packs in my collection that I have no intention of ever opening. And those who avidly collect unopened product, and who are in that category as collectors, don't really care about the sum of the parts--they collect unopened in the same fashion as those who collect cards in plastic holders and pay huge premiums just because someone affixed a Mint 9 or Gem Mint 10 to the flip. The fact that the unopened market continues to be such a hot topic of conversation, even among those who don't really even collect unopened for the sake of keeping it unopened, is testament to its special appeal, imo.

There has been a large increase in the prices of many high grade cards and this should naturally have an impact on prices of sealed packs to some degree.

That being said you would need to take into consideration the odds of pulling a card in high grade and specifically the star cards and discount the break up value of a pack or box. If you can for example on average pull two of the star cards that you are looking for but the chances are low in high grade you can't place as high of value on the unopened potential because you know on average your chances of recouping those funds are lower.

If you measured packs like stocks and used a price to yield ratio you have seen a dramatic increase in this ration. 75% of the run up in stocks has come from an expansion in the price to earnings ratio this year which essentially means you are paying 75% more per unit of earnings.

Yes the prices of the potential content value have risen, but the odds of obtaining the most valuable cards have not. The prices of high grade examples were driven by the scarcity of the cards in that condition and even though the price per pack or box has risen your odds of pulling the great cards have not.

This market reminds me of the real estate market where ownership rates far exceeded rental rates. Historically you got a lower true monthly payment to own but in the real estate bubble that scenario was turned upside down and it cost more to own on a monthly basis. There has to be a profit incentive for the buyer for most unopened product eventually. There will always be packs that the lottery element trumps fundamentals like the 1986 Fleer Basketball or the 1979 OPC Hockey.

I am in no way suggesting prices will fall to a certain level from a prior year and there certainly could be parts of the market that keep going up in the short run. I just wouldn't forecast ever rising prices because the price to yield ratio is off the historical charts. Will certain sets fall at some point I do think that is possible even though it seems unthinkable at the moment.

Personally I think it is very fascinating to see the market in such a frenzy. I just realize that frenzy's can cool unexpectedly and discount values accordingly. There have been parabolic moves higher which in all markets leave you extremely vulnerable to heavy price correction. None of us have a crystal ball and will know the outcome after it happens.

Ask yourself if you think you can bust a box of 1981 Topps at $240 and win. If the answer is no then ask yourself how much you think you could get out of the box. At some point that spread reaches extremes.
  • Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I find it very troubling that the notion of sealed is trumping the break up value by such a large margin. >>

I don't see where this comes from? I've seen statements like this several times in the different unopened discussions and it seems to be a common sentiment that box/case prices are becoming more than the potential value inside. If anyone really believes this, please give me an example of a box that is priced so high that it is not possible to recoup your investment…in most cases, all it takes is a high grade star card or high grade low pop.
    I am not a big fan of comparing the rise in unopened prices with stocks or the real estate market. I know some who are collecting right are speculating to a certain extent, but that is not the way I view the hobby, at least from my standpoint. Kurt had a good point a while back--if you were going to compare the supply of unopened cases/boxes with real estate, you'd have to burn down a house every time it sold, as the supply of cases and boxes (unlike houses) will only dwindle further over time more and more packs and boxes get opened (and people are still opening this stuff). I've been avidly collecting unopened for well over a decade now, and if prices were to drop (and they may very well come off these highs, though that's not the indication yet), I will be a buyer.

<< <i>

<< <i> I find it very troubling that the notion of sealed is trumping the break up value by such a large margin. >>

I don't see where this comes from? I've seen statements like this several times in the different unopened discussions and it seems to be a common sentiment that box/case prices are becoming more than the potential value inside. If anyone really believes this, please give me an example of a box that is priced so high that it is not possible to recoup your investment…in most cases, all it takes is a high grade star card or high grade low pop. >>

A box of 1979 Topps baseball sold for $1,014.95 on November 5th.

You have less then a 5% chance of pulling a high grade Ozzie Smith when you use the cards that have been graded and in reality it is much smaller because so many are off centered they would never get sent in.

I think if you busted this box on average at this price you would lose. I am sure there are a few of these boxes that might contain amazing cards but it is not the norm and recouping the purchase price will not be attainable.