Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Opinions..may sell 1972 unopened wax box

13»

Comments

• And if you don't own the 1972 box then other questions arise:

Is Steelernation a bored guy with a vivid imagination?

Is Steelernation attempting to work an upper 4 figure scam?

Perhaps you do own the 1972 box but something doesn't feel right. Your odd reaction to a simple request for a picture suggests there may be a problem here.
  • Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    I'm on the Maurice train with this one….this thread became very fishy when the poster said this early on….

<< <i>Thx 70topps and all. I'm so much better informed. I do agree. At least 25-30% is still left. 7k to possibly 9k. I'm in not that much of a hurry and may wait a yr. Also, you really want to make me rip them considering what's in there. That'd be fun. But 8k is a lot of money for anyone.
    For quality unopened material, it's hard to justify the AH's commission. It pretty much sells itself.

I've really enjoyed just keeping up with the discussion. >>

….this is after not having a clue what a box like this is worth, what it would sell for or how to sell it (keeping in mind he owns a BBCE wrapped box!!!!). Now 10 responses later, he's sure this box has 25-35% of growth left, and he knows quality material sells itself….2 very odd positions to take for someone so seemingly clueless????
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was one of the more informative, more insightful threads I've read in a while, then on a dime it started getting eerie. I think I'll eject now; I believe all of the substance has been extracted.

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• << <i>And if you don't own the 1972 box then other questions arise:

Is Steelernation a bored guy with a vivid imagination?

Is Steelernation attempting to work an upper 4 figure scam?

Perhaps you do own the 1972 box but something doesn't feel right. Your odd reaction to a simple request for a picture suggests there may be a problem here. >>

Some people call me The Space Cowboy . Some people call me....................

Ooooooooooowhou. Ooooowhowwww
  • God I love this place.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Maurice you really need a life. Again, for the third or fourth time, when did I solicit any offers? How am I running a scam?
    When I asked for opinions for the Ryan grade, did i offer to sell it after I received the results?

Thats why some don't post. I ask an opinion. Participate in a discussion. Then if I don't bow down to you and cronies and dont post a pic because you want one then somehow I'm guilty of something.
    It's a lovely place when an open forum, so easily leaves a person up to redicule or baseless accusations.

Youre embarrassing yourself and the others who are so quick to follow you in a paranoid witch hunt than seems to be around every corner if don't get what you want from a poster. I've seen, read you do this for the years that I've read these threads. What is my possible motive by asking value then giving my opinion.
    You have no idea how clueless you are, that's the problem.

And the thing that makes me smile is that Maurice is so predictable that I knew what i would read once i returned this evening.

In fact, why are you wasting your time with me now that I'm an obvious scammed. Please skip this thread and move on.
  • Bunt, and please. Aren't you the one that took advantage of steve when his new computer program misplaced those groupsnof 4 boxes.

And, again, how am i working a 4 figure scam? I havent solicited anyone. Have turned down offers in PM's. And obv before anyone sells i would think pics, in then least, would have to be sent. Or do you just send out checks for 4 figures.
  • Btw, you 3-4 "gentlemen " are bullies in every sense of the word. Paranoid of everyone and continue to chase people, who could contribute or have something to offer, from your playground if they don't blindly follow you or do as you say.
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    So post the picture.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Ok, you got me.
    Oh, when did I offer to sell it?
    And what is up with your obsession

And do you recall when I said I'd text it to anyone, giving my phone number out? To those who have PMd me with offers, I've been upfront and honest throughout. I never asked for an offer or stated a price in which I would sell. Scam?

I've been nothing but nice, appreciative and unobtrusive throughout. I would suggest you try hard to be that way in life where you can't hide behind a keyboard. I really don't know why I bother. Except maybe I care about my reputation even to the faceless, rude, unaccountable ones who hide but yet throw out these baseless accusations. It seems that there are always few in any forum which don't make it fun and drive people away. No one sees my side of it?

Oh, well. Sigh.
    Just another reason to leave the whole baseball card collecting hobby.
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I'm not taking sides in this debate - but I know if I was willing to put as much time into replying to a thread as the OP has done - I wouldn't sweat that five to ten minutes it might take to post a picture of the item in question.

I personally hope you post a picture for the simple fact that I'm interested in seeing the box. We all know pictures make any thread more fun.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Still no picture.
  • You're right, genius!

• Which was first Steelernation or Raidernation - Who stole who's nation.
    They stole if from Kentucky's "Big Blue Nation".

They had it before either one of those teams existed.

I don't have a picture though.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Hmmm, that's possible. Good question. Worth looking up.

But I think we've redefined it. And now lay claim to it. Very few teams fans travel like the steelers'. Sometimes outnumbering the home teams' fans.
  • bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very few teams fans travel like the steelers'. >>

Is there much to do on the weekend in Pittsburgh?
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15

<< <i>Hmmm, that's possible. Good question. Worth looking up.

But I think we've redefined it. And now lay claim to it. Very few teams fans travel like the steelers'. Sometimes outnumbering the home teams' fans. >>

Uh, I saw the Steelers stadium half full against the Bengals a few weeks ago.

Kentucky travels far better than the Steelers could ever dream.

The SEC tournament has more UK fans than the other 11/13 teams combined. Seriously, that's the truth.

<< <i>Kentucky travels far better than the Steelers could ever dream. >>

Is there less to do in Kentucky than Pittsburgh?

Must be.
  • Speaking of 1972 wax boxes, a series 4 just sold on Memory Lane Auctions for $6895 excluding buyer's premium. I don't know if this is good/bad/ugly, but tells you the going rate of a hot series.
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Speaking of 1972 wax boxes, a series 4 just sold on Memory Lane Auctions for $6895 excluding buyer's premium. I don't know if this is good/bad/ugly, but tells you the going rate of a hot series. >>

MLI auction is still going, but if there is no further bid then with BP the box will go for just over $8200 (one more bid and it will be over $9000).
    Series 4 includes Bench, Jackson, Munson and Seaver. When you consider that series 5/6 contains Rose, Ryan, Carew, Garvey, the lo-pop high
    numbers, and the TRADED cards of Carlton, Morgan and F Robinson I stand by what I posted earlier. It's a more valuable box, and a $9k-$10k
    price tag is probably an accurate sticker for where it sits today.

Dave
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    Closed at $7584 + 19% BP for a final price of $9024.96

Looks like my 50% upside for the series 5/6 box wasn't a wildnestimate. The series 5/6 box
    would appear to already be around $10k in the current market. Tonight's sale represents
    in increase of more than 25% since the last sale.

Dave
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These 72 wax boxes are a good example of the whole exceeding the sum of its parts as even a PSA 9 72 5th/6th series pack retails for around $325.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

• << <i>Kentucky travels far better than the Steelers could ever dream. >>

This may be true. I was in a sports bar in Vegas a couple years ago during March Madness. The Kentucky game was on next after the game I was in there for, and by the end of my game practically the WHOLE PLACE (which must seat at least 200) was people in Kentucky gear. Someone even got sports bar management to play the UK rouser over the PA system before the game started & everyone was clapping along to it.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i'd need to contend in favor of SteelerNation and their contingency which is akin to a pack of very hungry wolves......even during timeouts. and they never shut up.

saw them play in AZ and you could barely tell where the Cardinals fans were, but i happened to be with a relative who holds season seats, so we were close to the 50. surrounded. by THEM. hollering at us. throwing stuff. some of the kinder ones offered us Budweisers. image

they're everywhere. even at the airport. the shuttle was full of bumblebees and waving towels. this also happened several years prior when THEM was in town, but we didn't attend the game that time. however, we still made it to the airport at that pivotal moment and got Roethlisburgered. image

then there was the NFC title game a few years ago. Iggles fans. don't get me started.

wait. were we talking about a wax box?
  • The more fans a team has makes each one of those fans a little less important so in reality Steeler nation fans are not important people at all. imageimage

(am joking steelernation man)
  • Based on what it sounded like on TV when the Packers were making their comeback IN DALLAS last Sunday, maybe the cheeseheads travel best of all! That is the craziest, loudest cheering I have heard for a true road team in a long time.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i'm a Bear fan bro. Wisconsin cheddar makes me image
    Do any of the Miami teams travel well? Any New York teams? And you can't count all the people from New York who live in the city where the game is.
  • 70toppsfanatic,
    Well informed, thought out and knowledgeable. Wanted to thank you for your input and your time. Very helpful. As well as grote et al.
    Pleasure reading the discussion.
    Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all.

And a state vs a city? There's been many times when it seems the away Steelers Fan base seems to outnumber the home teams'. Your talking for four months, every weekend not just tournament time. Here we go steelers, here we go!! imageimage
    ..all good natured vs the ravens and browns fans. Don't get me started.
  • Maurice had his moments, but he was spot on in this thread.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    I know that most will not agree with me but if you are not going to open it sell it.I could not stand having a vintage box sitting around wondering what might be in there.I guess I am too OLD School.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    I agree with you FiveNiner 1000%!
    Nikklos