Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

*** So you think you can grade Peace Dollars from Photos? *** Grades Posted & 3 Lowball coin pho

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, I recently acquired an incomplete grading set of 1922 Peace Dollars and I've been adding a few pieces to it. The photos below represent about half of the set, which remains about dozen coins short of being complete.

All of the coins shown currently live in blue-label PCGS holders (the ones just prior to the onset of the edge-view holders). Judging by the cert numbers, these were not graded at the same time. The photos were all done using the same exposure (f/6.5 @ 1/1250s) for consistency. Some are a bit over-exposed and some under-exposed, but this should give you some help when judging toning & luster. None of the coins share a grade, and there are no plus grades. Some are circulated, some MS. Obviously there are no proofs!

After studying this set for a while I'm more or less comfortable with the assigned grades. None of the assigned grades seem wildly out of place to me.

The first person to guess all of them correctly might receive something cool in the mail. Extra credit might be given for useful discussion. image I'll post the answers when it seems like were not making any further progress.

Coin Number One:

Coin Number Two:

Coin Number Three:

Coin Number Four:

Coin Number Five:

Coin Number Six:

Coin Number Seven:

Coin Number Eight:

Coin Number Nine:

Comments

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wild shot
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and I know I Can't grade Peace dollars from pics image
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options

<< <i>Just to be clear, since they are part of a grading set, these are all different grades, correct? >>

Yup, per the OP.
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    Not my series, and I am not experienced at grading these (let alone based on photos), but I want to play anyway. With Photograde as a crutch, this is the I can come up with. This is going to be ugly. image

1 MS64
    2 MS63
    3 AU58
    4 MS65
    5 AG3
    6 AU55
    7 AU53
    8 XF45
    9 MS62
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1: 62
    2: 61
    3: 58
    4: 65
    5: 2
    6: 63
    7: 64
    8: 50
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way fun ! Here are my impressions....I'll post them, then go and see what the other guesses are image
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 MS62
    2 MS64
    3 MS60
    4 MS65
    5 G4
    6 MS61
    7 AU58
    8 EF40
    9 MS63

I think imageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    OK, I got this

Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch, Peace Dollars are not my thing...clearly, but I wanted to play anyway.
    That was hard coming up with my uneducated guesses. Fun thread!

F2
    The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties - Ends July 7th! :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    1. 64
    2. 63
    3. 58
    4. 66
    5. 2
    6. 61
    7. 65
    8. 45
    9. 62
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea....and an interesting thread. I like the idea of grading sets.. are you considering having them slabbed as well?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO........and I've stated so, here many times image

Steve

I like your Idea though
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    Here's my guesstimate, although I am mainly a Morgan fellow image

In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    f2
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PO1
    xf
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

...and #2, 6, and 7 have some contamination and need dipping.
    Lance.
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I cant grade them period. For some reason I always grade them higher than than PCGS. I have a bunch of MS62s and MS63s that look like at least MS64. From a photo I have no chance.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭

All my best WAGs, by the way image

PS: Grading from tiny iPhone pics makes it twice as hard!
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Let me guess. All genuine cleaned. That is how all my Peace Dollar submissions go.imageimage

Except maybe 5. image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    oops posted earlier
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Some pretty good guesses so far. Nobody has nailed it yet though.

One of the coins that I thought would be relatively easy one isn't getting called correctly very often.

When the grades are posted, I'll add a narrative about why I agree or disagree. I'm still VERY much a student of the grading process, but I know this series better than any other and unfortunately I'm the only one in the game who has access to the coins in-hand.

I agree with the comment that a couple of these show some ugly dip residue. We'll never know if they turned before or after the graders saw the coins.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the title of this thread: I barely have a clue about grading the darn things when they're in my hands!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>Regarding the title of this thread: I barely have a clue about grading the darn things when they're in my hands! >>

No kidding!

In hand, with good light and plenty of time I can usually do pretty good in the 63-66 range. Outside of that, trying to distinguish AU vs MS, and acceptable vs. body bag I'm a little lost at times. This series has as many nuances as any other. Throw in a good dose of mushy strikes and poorly made issues and it gets even more fun. I swear the keys get graded differently too.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanna play......but don't want to show my ignorance. image

The Peace Dollar is almost as hard to grade as the Buffalo Nickel!
  • Options
    OK. 18 people have made guesses so far.

There are 2 people with 4 correct answers.
    There are 5 people with 3 correct answers.
    There are 4 people with 2 correct answers.
    There are 5 people with 1 correct answer.
    There are 2 people with 0 correct answers.

Pretty tough huh?

I'll post the actual grades later tonight. For the record, I think this challenge was pretty tough and I've included plenty of coins that could be graded within a small range and nobody would complain. The distinction that exists from MS60-MS62 is surely not too reproducible even by the best graders but includes three distinct grades!!!
  • Options
    Commmmmon DIMEMAN, give it a whirl. Some very knowledgeable Peace Dollar people here aren't doing too well. All you need is 5/9 to take the lead.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough!!!
    And once again, a fantastic and very enlightening thread Bryce!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭
    Is the lowball actually P01? image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for taking the time to image and post em BryceM.

1. 64
    2. 61
    3. 58
    4. 65
    5. 02
    6. 62
    7. 63
    8. 50
    9. 58
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    OK. 22 people have made guesses so far.

There are 2 people with 4 correct answers.
    There are 6 people with 3 correct answers.
    There are 5 people with 2 correct answers.
    There are 5 people with 1 correct answer.
    There are 4 people with 0 correct answers.

I've got to run to a Cub Scout meeting but when I get back, I'll post how PCGS saw them.

I'm working on a tie-breaker GTG if we need one. image
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my strong area-these are as tough to grade as walking liberty halves to me.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. 63
    2. 61
    3. 55
    4. 65
    5. 02
    6. 62
    7. 58
    8. 35
    9. 64

Can't wait to see the grades!
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    If it's alright, I'd like to guess:

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome coinhack. Took you a while to post your first post image
  • Options
    (edited to include coinhack, who posted while I was writing this)

Final tally:

26 people made guesses.

There are 3 people with 4 correct answers.
    There are 6 people with 3 correct answers.
    There are 6 people with 2 correct answers.
    There are 7 people with 1 correct answer.
    There are 4 people with 0 correct answers.

Those who answered 4 correctly were lkrarecoins, georgiacop50, and hchcoin. I'll get to the tiebreaker in a bit.

I'll make comments on each coin, but in general I don't think there's much difference between MS60-MS62. Honestly I think eliminating 61 and 62 would be perfectly reasonable. When it comes to Peace dollars I think people get thrown too much by looking at bagmarks. The coins tend to have loads of them, but the way I see it, they're more of a grade limiter than a grade definer. The first thing is to just simply look at the coin at arm's length. Lustrous, frosty, well-struck examples really stand out, especially when you've looked through 1000s of them that aren't. Luster is king in this series. When viewed in good light it actually takes quite a bit of toning to hide the luster. Frost and textured surfaces free of breaks are enormously important. When all else is equal, the coin with frost will always win. Hairlines are easy to hide in photos. These will show up in the enormous fields and over Liberty's cheek. Strike is important, but not terribly so unless you're up in the 65 vs. 66 vs. 67 range.

Flashy, frosty coins will require a bunch of bagmarks to be knocked down. Flat, lackluster coins will never grade above 62 or so even with a total absence of marks. I think this series in particular is devilishly hard to grade from photos. Wear is best seen actually on the rock the eagle is sitting on. There are little raised wrinkles in the rock that show wear even better than the point of the eagle's shoulder or Liberty's neck.

Here are the grades as PCGS saw them:

Coin Number One, MS62: This coin has pretty good flash/luster, but plenty of marks. I think it's graded appropriately. I wouldn't be happy buying this as a 63.

Coin Number Two, MS63: This coin actually seems a bit over-graded to me just because of all the scuffing on Liberty's cheek. I think the impressive luster and deep frost in Liberty's hair and in the eagle's feathers tipped this one up to MS63.

Coin Number Three, AU55: Wear is evident at Liberty's neck and on the rock. A few scattered random scratches are visible too. Look at Liberty's cheek and neck. Still slightly lustrous. Graded correctly IMO.

Coin Number Four, MS66, CAC: This is from my core collection. This coin is tremendous in hand and really super flashy. Without the water spots it would be an easy 66+ with an outside shot at 67. Many people guessed this correctly.

Coin Number Five, PO1: Surprised not too many people got this. I have a FR02 and an AG03 which are clearly better in detail than this one. It is just barely discernible that there is no mintmark.

Coin Number Six, MS60: I think this coin is nicer than the 61 and about equal to the 62 in terms of marks & luster. It must have been graded down due to ugly toning, which looks like post-dip residual to me. Hairlined too.

Coin Number Seven, MS64: Not a PQ 64, at least not with the mottled reverse toning. This coin would be benefitted with a repeat dip. I think it would clean up beautifully. This coin has really nice frost and only a few bagmarks. Graded appropriately IMO.

Coin Number Eight, XF45: When I compare this to the XF40 and the AU50, the grade of 45 seems perfect. Not terribly well-struck, but has just a hint of residual luster.

Coin Number Nine, MS61: I would have graded this one MS63. I suppose it isn't quite as lustrous and has a few too many marks. The coin actually does have some frost though.

I hope everyone had fun with this. I'm sure I learned more from the exercise than anyone. Now for the tiebreaker:
  • Options
    Tie-breaker coming up.......
  • Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    A most excellent thread! I thought PCGS would have caught the rim damage on conin #1. All I ever got was "genuine" for something minor like that.
    Maybe I should pay for the official PCGS photo next time!

Nice collection, and very educational. We need more threads like this!
    “When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ugh

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭
    My guesses before looking were
    64+
    63+
    65+
    AG3
    EF45
    MS64

I hit a few nails on the head.. and a few I smashed my thumb on.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if you cracked them out and resubmitted them to PCGS raw how many would grade the same. I can't imagine coin #5 would come back as PO1 today.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file