Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Official 2013 BBCE PSA Group Break #4.......LETS SEE WHAT YOU GOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options

<< <i>
    4) I have heard the 84 football rack box had pretty ugly centering. Since we don't ever look at the cards on boxes that came from a sealed case, that is kind of the way it goes. However, Rick did say in shipping them he saw a major rookie on top of one pack and on the bottom of another! Lets see where they end up!

Thanks, Steve hart >>

I am a buyer for 84 racks with howie long on front - let me know where they land.

• Options
    1all1all Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I have heard the 84 football rack box had pretty ugly centering. Since we don't ever look at the cards on boxes that came from a sealed case, that is kind of the way it goes. However, Rick did say in shipping them he saw a major rookie on top of one pack and on the bottom of another! Lets see where they end up!

Thanks, Steve hart >>

I didn't get either of the "major rookie" packs but I'm not complaining. My rack pack has both Art Monk and Marcus Allen showing on the back. Thanks a bunch Steve!

Doug

• Options
    Doug,
    Glad your happy with the Monk! As far as Howie Long goes, he wasn't the "major rookie", but Rick probably wouldn't have noticed him. The "major rookie" I am referring to played for the Dolphins, but not named Dwight Stephenson!
  • Options

<< <i>Doug,
    Glad your happy with the Monk! As far as Howie Long goes, he wasn't the "major rookie", but Rick probably wouldn't have noticed him. The "major rookie" I am referring to played for the Dolphins, but not named Dwight Stephenson! >>

Hmmm..... Does it rhyme with "No superbowl rings"?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, can you tell us if at least the 83 cellos boxes were designated "from a sealed case"?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Doug,
    Glad your happy with the Monk! As far as Howie Long goes, he wasn't the "major rookie", but Rick probably wouldn't have noticed him. The "major rookie" I am referring to played for the Dolphins, but not named Dwight Stephenson! >>

As a Villanova grad, that hurts Steve but on flip side you may have just helped me out with some price deflation on my target purchase.
    Thanks for the quick shipping too.
    Mark
  • Options

<< <i>Steve, can you tell us if at least the 83 cellos boxes were designated "from a sealed case"? >>

Unfortunately, mine wasn't... -Doug
  • Options
    Tim, I saw you asked about the labels being marked as "from sealed case".
    However, I do not think Mark Hooks or I represented anything in the break
    instructions of offers that all these were factory sealed cases. For
    example, the listing for 1985 Fleer wax case that I currently have on my
    website says "Boxes appear as if they have been handled as they show a
    little wear to them." Also, the 1982 Donruss wax case currently on my
    website also does not state it is originally factory sealed. These are the
    exact listings Mark bought them from too. I hope this doesn’t cause too much
    of a problem, but I don’t think Mark or I offered them specifically sealed
    cases. I did buy them from an original candy/gum wholesaler down in Texas,
    so I'm very confident that these cases are untouched. However, unless all 4
    flaps on a case (2 top/2 bottom) are not originally glued/tape sealed by the
    company, I don’t describe them as "from a sealed case". Now, as far as from what I remember, the 1983
    Topps baseball wax and cello cases were factory sealed. I had several of each available (all gone now).
    I hope this doesn't cause too much confusion or misunderstanding. In the future, Mark or I will make sure what is exactly sealed
    by the original company will be listed as so in the group rip offering. Thanks! Steve Hart
  • Options

<< <i>4) I have heard the 84 football rack box had pretty ugly centering. Since we don't ever look at the cards on boxes that came from a sealed case, that is kind of the way it goes. However, Rick did say in shipping them he saw a major rookie on top of one pack and on the bottom of another! Lets see where they end

<< <i>

Dang and I missed on them because it's my sleep time!
  • Options
    I will take the backup slot for 84 and 86 football as well as 85 Topps baseball rack.

Edited to add: for those packs that weren't paid for
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I still too late for a '76 cello pack?
    Daniel
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    They are here ! ! !

Woohoo.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Hey, maybe mine will get to Long Island tomorrow.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Received today (Indianapolis area).

I just put the box up a rainy day.

Jason
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Therefore, we had to go into paypal and review every single payment received starting Sept 2nd until now. That is several hundred per day. We managed to find some people from the group rip who paid, but we were never notified by paypal with an e-mail. Therefore, a few shipments didn't go out until today. >>

I must've been in this group. I paid first thing on the 3rd, live pretty close, and haven't seen a thing. image
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Got mine today as well. The loose 83 baseball wax was rough, the gum bled through half the pack, all the way to the game card in the center of the pack. image

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

1984 wax FB was tough but did get a decent Dan Fouts
    1985 wax FB was much better only star was Tony Dorsett.
    1978-79 FB I liked pulled a 78 Stallworth. nice looking card and a couple of 79 that look nice.

1983 Fleer and 1985 Topps racks had some good stars. Ripken 1983 Fleer looks nice.
    1984 Donruss pulled a Mattingly
    I opened 1 Mini and it was baaad! Pulled a Bench and Gibson Hilights both way o/c

It was a lot of fun though.

Joe

• Options
    Anyone pulls 82 Taylor RC and or IA please PM me if looking to move it. If not please don't post it and dash my hopes image
  • Options
    Thanks for putting this together Mark.
    I'm in the Kansas City area and received my package yesterday.
  • Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Got my packs today.

My only star pulled was a '79 Newsome, slightly OC but very nice otherwise. My '81 packs had lots of corner dings and mostly OC. All the others were pretty typical for their respective years. A little bummed about only one major star in 30+ packs!

Scott
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    Finally got to take some pictures of my packs I received. Like Steve said earlier I was missing my 1983 FB cello packs. Also, I don't know if anyone else noticed on theirs, but on 3 of my 4 1984 Fleer cello BB packs the seals were popped. Anyway here is what I got from the break:

image[/URL]

The top cards on my 1983 Fleer Cellos were interesting with a Yount McGee and Tommy John:

image[/URL]

I also added a few items:

I wanted to work on my unopened box collection so added some basketball boxes:

First 78/79

image[/URL]

Then, since we couldn't seem to fill it, I went ahead and got one of the 75/76 boxes

image[/URL]

And finally I couldn't resist the 74/75 box:

image[/URL]

I hope everyone enjoys breaking their stuff but as for me (and I am guessing CPAMike) these are going on the shelf.

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Did anyone get an 84 Topps Baseball cello with any Tigers on the front, would be interested in those.

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭
    Those are some great boxes you are putting away Jim.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Mine arrived today. I got a perfect-looking '85 Donruss box which I am keeping sealed.

I also got two packs of '84 Topps football and four packs of '85 Topps football. I opened all those and got a whole lot of nothing. Best star card was an '84 Marino IR that unfortunately has a corner ding.

The only good news was that the '84 cards were better centered than I am used to seeing when opening packs from this issue.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    I am not a collector of 70's or basketball - but those are some nice boxes you picked up! Congrats!! And I love that pile of unopened stuff on the table!!
  • Options
    Man those are some cool basketball boxes. Congrats on getting those.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭
    I just got my one pack of 1975 Topps mini from BBCE. I have not participated in a group rip before so I thought I would try my luck and join in. The pack contained a sweet piece of gum and 9 commons.....actually I did get a fergie Jenkins. Glad I did it and thanks Mark for organizing this once again.

Shane
    P.S. I ripped the wrapper and threw the wrapper and the gum away just in case anyone wants to know.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my stuff: Nice Donruss wax boxes (1982 and 1985). Couple of Topps baseball cello packs.

Thanks again, Mark for organizing this!!
    Daniel
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Jim

nice job on those basketball wax boxes. been thinking of the '75/6 since i have a run of a few years leading up to it...
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Am I still too late for a '76 cello pack? >>

Wait a minute, I'll still on the waiting list for one of those. Lightningboy is down for one, then I'm up. image

1976 Topps Baseball Cello Box Break
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jim

nice job on those basketball wax boxes. been thinking of the '75/6 since i have a run of a few years leading up to it... >>

Thanks, theres still another one in the store image

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Wait a minute, I'll still on the waiting list for one of those. Lightningboy is down for one, then I'm up.

I didnt realize I was down for anything, but I'll take itimage
  • Options

<< <i>

Wait a minute, I'll still on the waiting list for one of those. Lightningboy is down for one, then I'm up. image

1976 Topps Baseball Cello Box Break >>

So where was that quick finger then when it counted??

By the way, my package arrived today. More for the vault.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Awesome basketball boxes. I was hoping we would get more people on the 75-76 box. I put in for only 1 or 2 packs but I would have taken more, if it meant getting the box, but we were not even close.
  • Options
    Was planning to take a picture of my stock but ended up hiding it throughout apartment and ripping secretly when wifey isn't looking (I am a prisoner in my own home...anyway)

4 packs 84 donruss - 1 toney Gwynn nice centering - and a lee Mazzili and dale Berra
    My first youtube video - save it for when you need a knockout punch and are out of sleeping pills
    84 Donruss rip
    2 81 packs - George Brett nicely centered and a bunch of OC crap
    82 FB - 4 wax and 2 cello - Payton, theisman, Bradshaw IA, Taylor IA image, Simms image Montana IA
    80 FB - Nothing - except a picture of Fouts eating a Big Mac
    82 cellos - 4 leaving sealed as they are wrapped tight and expect the cards would be warped. No star power showing
    83/84/85 racks are staying sealed. No star power showing
    2 83 topps and 2 84 fleer cellos - nada bueno
    81 topps FB 4 wax packs- Really nice cards. Crisp. No warping some good centering. Best 81 FB I've gotten over these group breaks.
    ...and drum roll please...
    1975 topps mini wax packs - 4 packs
    Here are the results(sorry for the lame commentary)
    Pack1
    Pack2
    Pack3
    Pack4
    The buddy card is obviously a mets card. The shop I went to had a mets yanks binder. I bumbled the story a bit.
    And yes I am excited about the hl #2!
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Good luck on the Brock HL and def sub the borgmann, 7 pays for itself and an 8 is very nice there.

Al four packs were. ompletely different from my two.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

1976 Topps Baseball Cello Box Break >>

So where was that quick finger then when it counted?? >>

Why do you think I'm so quick at replying now. I've upgraded to the turbo charged lightning fast premium internet service. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    So I picked the wrong week to take off work considering I had my package shipped there.

Got a message today from security saying I had a "high risk" package on hold, did I order something?

Hell ya...and it's high value...keep secure until Monday!

When did baseball cards become high risk to anyone but the buyer? lol

Hoping the Marino rack is waiting for me.

Also realizing that though I bought 2 packs each from multiple 75 boxes, I'm likely to receive 4 packs from 1 box.

Question is...Which box will it be?
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    abcoltsfanabcoltsfan Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Received mine today as well. I pulled a gwynn rc as well as a Ryan Tannehill auto from an additional box bought. Other than that $200 worth of commons! Still fun to rip. Thanks again to all organizers.

Working on the following sets
    1980's and 1990's Topps Baseball BBCE FASC - Cello or Wax Boxes
    1952 Bowman US Presidents PSA 7 & up
    Pro Football Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts PSA Registry Set
    June 9th Cubs full ticket or stubs - 1981 to 2020
    Andre Dawson Topps Basic registry PSA 10's
    Mark Grace Topps Basic registry PSA 10's

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
    Good luck on the Brock HL and def sub the borgmann, 7 pays for itself and an 8 is very nice there.

I agree with MiniDuff. In addition to the Brock, I too would sub the Borgmann as well as the Miller and Driessen. Grab a used dryer fabric softener sheet and gently rub the wax off the front of that Driessen. Assuming the backs on those are not miscut and they measure at least 80 mm tall (the red/yellows tend to be cut factory short), then I think you have a reasonable shot at 8's on those judging by what I saw in the video.

Thanks for sharing. That was fun watching.
  • Options
    Mark ... I LOVE the BBG reference at 1:20 of the opening of Pack #2! LOL

Hope you get some nice grades!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Thanks guys - the replies fired me up for some 2nd and 3rd looks...

D - I don't know what you mean image
  • Options
    Great work on the minis, Mark, and good luck with the grades!

My 6 mini packs were all nice and clean--no rips or tears and box fresh. I noticed 4 of them had the back card face out and nicely centered, which apparently was from the same box(es) as Mark's packs, and the other two packs had the back card facing inward, which was from the box that Jim's packs were pulled from. I may sub a few and open a couple. Not sure yet. As an unopened collector who also likes to bust packs, it's a battle I go through all the time, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Well, considering Tim received his stuff today and we live less than 20 miles apart, I am going to guess that my payment was one of the ones that Steve did NOT get notified on, as I still don't have my package. I guess it will come either tomorrow or Monday. That's what happens when you are the FIRST to pay! LOL.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Mark - thanks for sharing!

I found that Herb Washington card from Pack #4 very interesting - I never knew that cards were made for pinch runners...
  • Options

<< <i>Well, considering Tim received his stuff today and we live less than 20 miles apart, I am going to guess that my payment was one of the ones that Steve did NOT get notified on, as I still don't have my package. I guess it will come either tomorrow or Monday. That's what happens when you are the FIRST to pay! LOL. >>

Actually, I got my package yesterday, Doug, LOL!

• Options

<< <i>Mark - thanks for sharing!

I found that Herb Washington card from Pack #4 very interesting - I never knew that cards were made for pinch runners... >>

He is the only player ever to have one. Herb never even had an official at bat in the ML, iirc.

• Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    Just got my box here in CA.

Couple highlights (haven't opened anything)

83T Cello w/Boggs on Top
    83T Cello w/Fisk AS on Top
    84T Cello with Marino IR on back
    83T Rack with Ripken on back

My 84 FB rack was not one of the lotto racks.

caught out of the corner of my eye an 85T rack with an Olympian on top...but it wasn't the right one.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    My package still hasn't arrived either, and I live just south of Indianapolis. Darn PayPal !image
  • Options

<< <i>I found that Herb Washington card from Pack #4 very interesting - I never knew that cards were made for pinch runners...

He is the only player ever to have one. Herb never even had an official at bat in the ML, iirc. >>

WOW, hard to believe that 'ole Herb is 61 years old.

You are correct Tim ... he played in 1974 and 1975 and his official stats are as follows:

Games Played: 105
    At Bats: ZERO
    Runs Scored: 33
    Stolen Bases: 31
    Caught Stealing: 17
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug