Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The New Edition of Doug Winter's Dahlonega Gold Book (Now Shipping)

...is at the printer, per Doug's blog. I was just trying to get a sense of the coin community's anticipation for the upcoming release of the book.

In addition to updated information throughout, it will have nice, enlarged color photographs of the various die varieties. As a side note, Doug sent me drafts of the gold dollar, quarter eagle, and half eagle chapters for comments (which I dutifully completed and returned to him). I believe that the new book will be a major step forward for those who collect D-Mint coinage.

Please post your thoughts!

Here's a wholesale supplier (Transline Supply) that has the new third edition in stock, so I imagine retail outlets will have it soon.

Gold Coins of the Dahlonega Mint, Third Edition
"Clamorous for Coin"

Comments

• Options
    PrillerPriller Posts: 111 ✭✭

I'm definitely looking forward to it! Will be ordering the day it becomes available.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also want a copy.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchase and read all of Doug's books and am especially looking forward to this one.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had an eye out for a type piece from Dahlonega.

This book ought to help me sort out what I might select. Looking forward to seeing it as the Charlotte book was helpful when choosing my Charlotte piece.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 594 ✭✭✭
    Very much looking forward to it.
  • Options
    photogphotog Posts: 242 ✭✭
    I am working with the printer (pretty much as I type) on final tweaks, layout, proofreading, etc. (Oh, I have logged oh-so-many hours in Adobe InDesign!) But yes - it's true - it's on the way!

We are also going to have the book as a download for e-readers AND a PDF on our website for quick access. I'm really looking forward to wrapping this project up...so we can start the next book. image

Jenna
    DWN
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭
    What's the projected release pricing? image
  • Options
    I won't have that until I have a page count nailed down - but we'll be sure to keep everyone posted on our site. image
  • Options

<< <i>What's the projected release pricing? image >>

I'll be interested to learn this also. For me, this is an example of "buy the book since you can't afford to buy any of the coin(s)." image
  • Options

<< <i>I remember Doug Winter commenting on how the grading services have been more liberal on how they grade branch mint gold due to a reassessment of how these coins were struck; so former XFs have often ended up in AU holders. Is there a thread on CU discussing this issue? >>

should inflate the already high Dahlonega pop #s image
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I remember Doug Winter commenting on how the grading services have been more liberal on how they grade branch mint gold due to a reassessment of how these coins were struck; so former XFs have often ended up in AU holders. Is there a thread on CU discussing this issue?

George Kellogg or RYK can chime in if I'm incorrect, but I don't believe that DW was referring to recent behavior by the TPGs. I can't recall a thread either here or ATS that discussed the evolution of TPG grading of southern gold coins.

Also, for those who are interested, the new edition of the Dahlonega book will contain a brief chapter on the officers of the Dahlonega mint as well as detailed information on where the gold that was deposited at the mint came from. While about 70% of gold deposits came from Georgia, about 20% came from California; in fact, for 1851-1854, the majority of gold that was deposited at the Dahlonega mint came from California.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭
    I just got off of the phone with Bruce of Zyrus Press, the publisher of the new 3rd Edition of Doug Winter's Gold Coins of the Dahlonega Mint. The book is being printed now and should be delivered to Zyrus in two weeks.

It's been a long time coming, but will be worth the wait. The volume is available is trade paperback only, in full color, with enlargements of the various die varities, to enable easy identification by the reader. Priced at $39.95, the book will be available from various booksellers such as Amazon.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I remember Doug Winter commenting on how the grading services have been more liberal on how they grade branch mint gold due to a reassessment of how these coins were struck; so former XFs have often ended up in AU holders. Is there a thread on CU discussing this issue? >>

should inflate the already high Dahlonega pop #s image >>

its all about the money. fwiw & jmo
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I bought the first edition of his book in hardcover only a year or so ago, I'll probably get this new edition because of my interest in the subject matter.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>Although I bought the first edition of his book in hardcover only a year or so ago, I'll probably get this new edition because of my interest in the subject matter. >>

Bill, the first edition was published in 1997, 16 years ago. This 3rd Edition has enlarged, full color photographs, in comparison to the first two edition's small black and white versions. Additionally, the first two editions had very few photographs of die varieties and the new edition is loaded with enlarged, diagnostic photographs. I encourage all Dahlonega Mint aficionados to buy this book, in which I have no financial interest (other than as a Dahlonega gold coin collector).
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    It is a bit awkward that the second edition is still plentiful, even at the publisher, but it has been 10 years since the second edition was published.

Like the third edition of his book on Charlotte gold coins (which was published in 2008), this third edition of the Dahlonega book will be a big improvement: updated population estimates, color photos throughout and lots of pictures of varieties.

I'll be delighted to see, finally, the finished product!

Once this book is available, it's on to an update of the book on Carson City gold coins!

• Options
    The new edition is being shipped. See first post.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    Why does it say 1836-1861?
  • Options

<< <i>Why does it say 1836-1861? >>

It looks like a typo. I hope they caught it before they turned the presses on.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why does it say 1836-1861? >>

It looks like a typo. I hope they caught it before they turned the presses on. >>

Wow. Pretty conspicuous typo.

I'd love to see an 1836-D and 1837-D half eagle though. image
  • Options
    I have all of Doug's current books and am looking forward to this latest edition.
  • Options
    Wow, that's a really elegant cover!

It makes all of DW's first edition covers look like "home-made" productions.

Although I hope they caught the typo on the cover before the press run, Zyrus does tend to have their books printed in China, which doesn't usually allow for quick corrections of errors.

GeorgeKellog - did you send DW a note about the cover?

Hmm, I guess that now I'll have to start looking for an 1836-D half eagle! image

• Options

<< <i>Wow, that's a really elegant cover!

It makes all of DW's first edition covers look like "home-made" productions.

Although I hope they caught the typo on the cover before the press run, Zyrus does tend to have their books printed in China, which doesn't usually allow for quick corrections of errors.

GeorgeKellog - did you send DW a note about the cover?

Hmm, I guess that now I'll have to start looking for an 1836-D half eagle! image >>

I sent Doug an eMail about the typo on the cover.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    The photo on the website erroneously showed an earlier draft - it has been completely redone and the dates are in fact correct on the cover. The website has been updated with the new cover!

http://www.translinesupply.com/store/p/5268-Gold-Coins-of-the-Dahlonega-Mint-3rd-Edition.aspx

*phew*

Jenna
    DWN
  • Options
    On the whole, I have to say that I thought the previous cover, except for the type, was more elegant.

Of course, this cover matches the previous two books, so I understand why they decided upon it.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭

Corrected link

Eagerly looking forward to my copy!

• Options
    I am pleased, delighted and very proud to announce that I'm holding my brand spanking new copy of the third edition of Gold Coins of the Dahlonega Mint: 1838-1861!

imageimageimageimageimage

The book is a hefty 280 pages and chock-full of color images, including many close-ups of the varieties. Printed on heavy, glossy paper, it's a weighty tome!

(For comparison, the New Orleans book is 237 pages and the Charlotte book is a relatively modest 196 pages.)

I've just started to look at it and hopefully I'll get a chance to post some more comments soon.

Now, as Doug says, "It's on to the update of the Carson City book!"

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to picking up my copy of the book tomorrow, along with a Dahlonega $5 that he is holding for me!
  • Options
    The new Edition is impressive and is just in time for the ANA. It's hard to believe that it's been 10 years since the last edition came out!
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    ordered one, can't wait!!

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    I like the new book, but they have the wrong reverse for the 1850-D half eagle (p231). It should have large letters. Actually, it's the same reverse pictured for the small lettered 1841-D half eagle (p190). Other than that, I like the new photos and updated population reports.
  • Options

<< <i>I like the new book, but they have the wrong reverse for the 1850-D half eagle (p231). It should have large letters. Actually, it's the same reverse pictured for the small lettered 1841-D half eagle (p190). Other than that, I like the new photos and updated population reports. >>

I don't know how that happened. When I reviewed Doug's draft for the half eagle chapter, the correct 1850-D half eagle photo was in place. I made a copy of my review comments and went back to look at the 1850-D photos after I saw the published book error.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    Look to this Sunday's edition of the E-Sylum for my brief review of the book!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file