Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thoughts on this Franklin's Eye Appeal?? Thanks!

imageimage

Coiny

Comments

• BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    I'm a rainbow or bust kind of guy. It's not for me but it's not terrible either. I'd like it better if the color on the back was smoother. Not a fan of splotchy toning.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that the obverse looks technically like a 66, there are two things you have to be aware of. First, in 66 the price differential between FBL vs. non-FBL is basically 2X. Therefore, the most important thing to do to make sure you are getting your money's worth is to make sure the coin is FBL. I cannot tell via the small image whether the coin is FBL, but it certainly looks iffy from the pic. Second, how good is the toning.? In this case, the toning is nice, but certainly not spectacular. '57-D's are RELATIVELY easy to find nicely toned.

Having said all that, assuming the lines are all there AND the price is right, I think the coin is nice enough to purchase.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Very cool double mint set coin.
  • Always love the "russet flake", esp on Mercs and Walkers. Many do not.

Eric
  • Honestly at first, eh. But as I look it does have something that keeps you staring.
  • CoinyCoiny Posts: 711 ✭✭
    Here's the scoop as to why I am asking;

I recently purchased a 67fbl as an upgrade for my registry set at NGC. I plan to sell this one on EB . Seeing prices in wide ranges and wanted to get a feel for how other collectors would view this uniquely toned coin. The reason I purchased it many years ago was the obverse rainbow toning and relatively unmarked fields and devices. I was not a fan of the reverse, but didn't hate it, either.
    This one does have full bell but strike requires a magnifying glass to verify bottom bell.

Thanks for the input!
    Coiny
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...
    I recently purchased a 67fbl as an upgrade for my registry set at NGC... >>

Were you the winner of lot 2805 of the current Heritage CSNS auction?
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the obverse. The reverse..... not so much.
  • daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    I actually like the reverse more than the obverse. The obverse isn't unique in any way, but the toning on the reverse resembles that "rusted look" that old metal items have- in this case, the toning resembles a rust you'd see on a really old bell.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    As compared to a white coin, the toning is a negative.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    your probably gonna get less than $280.....I consigned a 66 FBL of the same date and mintmark with rainbow toning and it got 280, mine had much better toning than yours.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
    Yes..Lot # 2805 is correct.
    Thanks
    Coiny
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Tough crowd. I like it a lot.

Every man is a self made man.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not like it at all....that type of tarnish reminds me of dried tobacco spit...Cheers, RickO

SUR-PRISE, SUR-PRISE, SUR-PRISE... Sgt. Carter

Coiny
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it a lot.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not for me
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As compared to a white coin, the toning is a negative. >>

+1
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Same profile pic, huh?
    Taylor
    Also known as coinman101---
    I am a YN and I do not want anybody to question my IQ Level! I don't know everything and came here to learn! image
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice for me
    LCoopie = Les
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    while it might be nice for a Franklin it isn't really that nice for the date. whenever I see a thread title such as this I always assume 1957-58 and am usually right. there are so many real eye poppers for 1957-D that the competiton for Eye Appeal is stiff.
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    I like it. It would be an excellent type set coin in my opinion. How's the luster in hand?
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
    Luster in hand is a little more drab than the picture. The lighting has a big effect.
    Really appreciate the feedback. Thanks all!

Coiny
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the obverse. The reverse..... not so much. >>

• ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the obverse. The reverse..... not so much. >>

I agree. But the sweet OGH wins me over.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file