Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone else still have their childhood coin collection?

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've still got mine! Mostly mint state common Wheats and low-mid grade common buffs. Anyone else have their original childhood coins and how long have you had them? I've had mine since the late 70's.

Comments

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have a few pieces, Austrian & German thalers. What I treasure more is a 1942 proof set, given to me by my paternal grandmother (a coin collector) about 40 years ago.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish that I still had my Whitman Lincoln Cent folder.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Yes, tattered Whitman folders of Lincolns and Jeffersons, had them since the mid 60's. Everything was from circulation, other than an Unc 55-S Lincoln I bought for 15 cents at the mall coin shop way back when. Have two 1909-39 Lincoln folders full of holes, and three later Lincoln folders complete through 1969. Three folders of Jeffersons, all with the same holes - 38-D, 38-S and 50-D.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a little bit of it -- a few coins that I thought were special.
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and no. I got back into coins in 2008 after a starting in 1986-1995. Most have been sold and traded for better graded u.s. coins. I still have my 1883 NC nickel thats only in EF and my 1850 Large cent in average grade.

I have more world coins from my childhood then u.s.

I dont miss my childhood u.s. coins, most were very low grade or had heavy problems.
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish that I still had my Whitman Lincoln Cent folder. >>

^^^^^^^I have mineimage^^^^^^^
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stolen. image
    Lance.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, have my Blue Whitman with Lincolns and my Wayte Raymond with Indians and a Dansco
    with shield, V, Buffs and Jeffersons (had to transfer as I wore out the Whitmans.

bobimage

Edited that all were pulled from circulation so am missing all the keys. Dating from the early 50's.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • I have mine from the early 60's. Mostly Lincoln Cents, Mercury Dimes and a few old type coins. I also have the first coin I ever collected. It was a 1855 slant 5's.
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, blue Whitman Lincoln cents.
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    My dad still has my lincoln penny set that we did together 30 years ago.
  • felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I have all of them. My son has absconded with most, to begin his collection image I got most in the late 70s.

Two Whitman folders of Lincoln cents (lots of holes in the first). A Whitman folder of Indian Head cents (more holes).

Two rolls of common date Franklin halves, part of my great aunt's estate from the late 80s. I don't think they knew the value of silver, and gave them to me.

And a 1935 Peace dollar I picked up on a 6th grade field trip in the late 70s. A kid was going to buy a can of soda and a snack with it, and I offered him $2. He took my offer image

That began my love affair with silver dollars, which continues today.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I still have this. As I recall it was a tri-fold, don't know what happened to page three. It's marked "No. 9030". Looking at the empty spots, I should of tried harder. image

imageimage
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess you could say Im still a child.....Otherwise yes I still have a few pieces I got from my Grandpa, mom and dad. With most of the stuff I picked up during my teens I might have one or two as I never stopped collecting and just rolled that junk into what I have now.
  • Still have the first pre-1940 coin I ever owned... a 1907 Indian Head cent, one of two "Indian Head Pennies" I sent off for from a Boys Life ad. My mom wrote out a check for the 35 cents plus shipping price. I can't begin the to tell you the thrill of holding those 1906 and 1907 cents when they arrived at my house (in Hawaii) in 1972! Also still have my first ancient: a 4th century AE3 I sent off for from LIttleton Coin Co in 1973. Cost a dollar. That too was a GIANT thrill.....imagine, a coin that was 1,500 years old!
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i do
    mid 60s
    LCoopie = Les
  • Started in high school in the mid 1975's and still have almost everything. I'm a hoarder...
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have two.

This 1936 Merc was found in my grandmother's silverware drawer when I was setting the table for Thanksgiving dinner, 1976.

It is the coin which launched my numismatic adventure.

I received this 1827 Bust half for my 11th birthday on December 28, 1976.

Also from around 1978, there was a prooflike AU58 1878-S Morgan dollar which came out of my great-grandmother's desk.

I held that one into adulthood and passed it on for my firstborn nephew when he came along in 1999.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Mostly Lincoln & Indian Head Cents in the Blue Whitman folders.
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭
    I sold most of mine in late 1979. In the early 1970s, I found a 1915D Lincoln in change. This is the coin that really started me with collecting, and I still have it.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought these with money received for my first communion image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got the older portion of my penny collection, but everything after about 1937 or so (which was complete or nearly so) is gone.
  • My elder sister moved recently and uncovered my childhood Lincoln penny collection - it's at least 50 years old, if not more.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa, Broadstruck was a savvy young lad. My first gold was a 1915 Austrian ducat restrike.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I do.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whoa, Broadstruck was a savvy young lad. My first gold was a 1915 Austrian ducat restrike. >>

Thanks as I actually want to thank Manorcourtman for this thread! I knew the silver piece was moved into my Father's album for safekeeping, however the 4 gold pieces have been missing for years. I had no idea they were also in this album until I flipped all the way trough it this afternoon.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do- Lincoln cents I bought from Alamo Heights Coin Shop in San Antonio in the late 70's, early 80's.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find there Broadstruck!!!

I still have my collection from when I was a kid in the early 1960's.
    Whitman folders of Wheat cents, albums of dimes, misc... 2x2's with the old prices on some of them even.
    Have a framed limited US Type set too- though the glass is broken and it's put away... Maybe this thread is a reminder to get that thing fixed upimage

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to have a couple of coins back that had sentimental value, but I'm pretty sure now that most of the coins I had when I was a kid were below my current standards - i.e. crap.

• My collection was started in 1962 and the last time I remember seeing it was 1972 then I found out
    about sex, drugs and rock n roll. I think it is still some where at my Mom's house but no idea where.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold it all when I was 17 to purchase Christmas presents for my parents and 14 siblings (1972). The dealer hurt me so bad financially that I did not return to coins until 1999. Yes, I was that bitter. image
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rolls and rolls and rolls and rolls and rolls of tired Wheaties taken from circulation. Maybe a handful of Mercs pulled from pocket change as well.

Also, 2 or 3 rolls of AG/G Buffalo nickels I bought from a mail order dealer. Yawn. I was on a limited budget 40+ years ago.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, but not much value other than sentimental.

For some reason I saved 2 rolls of 1969-S pennies - not a roll collector but S-mint pennies were rare in Minnesota! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I remember riding my bicycle to the bank in the 60's and getting a dime roll. As I recall, about half of them were Mercury dimes. I was thrilled. I believe I have one of those still. Pretty common and very cleaned but special.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some of the better coins, and most are highlights of my Dansco 7070 set. I built my type set around them. They include the 1803 half cent and 1821 large cent in the photo below (and the 1859 IHC and 1853 quarter in my album). The early copper were nice for the grade, then and now. Both have been in my collection for 35+ (gulp) years.

I have also tried to replace some boyhood coins that were sold (or lost) along the way. Here are some of these replacement efforts:

imageimage

Others include an 1818 large cent, 1849 half cent, and 1926-S Peace dollar.
  • cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    Nope, all were stolen around 1962-63, including an 1860 O Seated dime which I vaguely recall as being xf or so. My aunt got it working as a waitress at a golf course, I remember it red booking at the time @ $60. There wasn't much else, just a few partial books with circulation finds. I got back into it while working in a bar and liquor stores in the late 60's/ early 70's, always watching the change...
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY

<< <i>Yep, but not much value other than sentimental.

For some reason I saved 2 rolls of 1969-S pennies - not a roll collector but S-mint pennies were rare in Minnesota! image >>

Maybe you saved them to find a double die an be rich.image
  • I still have my old lincoln cent folders, etc.

I'm only 21, but I've had them for 16 or 17 years now...
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I only saved one album, Lincoln Cents 1909 to 1958 ... Missing the SVDB ...
    there are no openings for the 22- Plain or 55 DDR.

I also saved the coins my Grandfather had put aside.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup. I still have all of them, pennies to silver dollars, most in Whitman folders, and started in 1963 when I was 7 years old. I also have 20 rolls of lincolns (before 35, 36-40 D&S, after 40 S-mint wheaties, 1954, and 60DSD) pulled from rolls, as well as rolls of silver dimes and quarters. I'm glad I collected all the silver coins back then, but kick myself for spending so much time searching penny rolls and not searching half dollar rolls. I'd like to get rid of almost all of it except a few nice cents and dimes, as well as some old coins my grandfather dug in his garden on Long Island: 1809 half cent, 1854 large cent, 1782 Mexican real, and an 1829 Brazilian counterstamped 40 Reis.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do, mine started with Japanese, Vietnamese coins and paper money and also a wad of MPC's that my father brought back from Asia when he returned in early 1973. I can remember we used MPC's as play money when I was a little kid.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • I would eventually spend them on model airplanes or the like. This was the 1950s and 1960s. Everything was silver. A quarter and a half dollar was a lot. All in Whitman blue folders. Once I found a large cent in the dirt outside my house. Pretty worn. I Brillo-ed the hell out of it; probably traded it for some picture cards. I could go to the bank and get a silver dollar for the cash equivalency. Occasionally you would find an Indian penny in change. I could go on. Ah, those were the days.
  • Unfortunately my childhood collection was stollen while at college. It was just a bunch of modern proof sets.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have my circulated set of Lincoln cents from 1909 to 196? that I started during Christmas week 1959 and completed in 1983. (No I'm not a huge Lincoln cent collector.) My honorary first coin is a 1917-D in EF that I pulled from circulation as a kid. I don't know if it was the first coin I pushed into my Whitman "penny folder," it probably wasn't, but I did find it early in my collecting career.

I also have 1965 Special Mint Set that I bought from the mint directly mounted in a Capital Plastics holder that allowed one leave the coins in the mint package. I have lost the original envelope along the way. And a couple of the gold type coins that still in my set are pieces that bought when I was in my teens.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    I remember buying a coin like a California fractional gold piece from a dealer back in the 60's. I don't think it was authentic but It was fun getting a shiny "gold coin". Don't know where it went though. Wish I could find it again just to figure out what it was.
  • I still have most of mine. I really don't have much of any value, outside of the silver. It was mostly Wheats, Buffalo nickels and mercury dimes. One of my favorites is an XF 1888 morgan dollar that was given to me on my 8th birthday, after I had started saving wheat cents I found in change. Purely sentimental value, but back then I thought I was the king of world with such a huge, old coin. Another favorite of mine is a 1962 proof nickel with the most gorgeous gunmetal blue toning I've ever seen. I saw it at the coin shop my dad would take me to when I saved up my allowance, and the dealer gave it to me for 50¢ or something like that. A few years back I got around to filling the holes in my Lincoln cent folder with the 09-S, the 31-S and a few other s-mints from the teens. I still have to get the 22 plain and the S-VDB. Maybe I'll put that on my list of things to acquire this year...
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    No. I loved the "steel pennies", my dad would save them for me.
    Becky
  • No-- I was passed down a complete 1c Copper collection form 1818-1950s. The real early ones were missing from the trust but there was also rolls of later date AU Large cents and lots of hoarded silver from the 40-60 along with rolls of horded coins like 1909VDB cents and 50d nickels and 55s dimes with a couple of common gold coins like a 1909-d 5$ and 1901-s 5$

I sold just about all of it to pay for a beach house for 3 summers while in school and a car and the external activities that young people partake in during that time. I have no regrets but do acknowledge that I would have made a lot more money off of them if I had held until now. But I wish every young man gets to know the joy of having a house a block from the beach on a major resort town during summer break while in college, while I had some roommates and still had to have a job or two it was something I will never forget.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    My stamp collection was stolen, I was disgruntled, so I sold the coin collection and joined the Army. That was forty years ago...I'd like to have a re-do! image
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Christmas 1957 (I was 8 years old), my grandfather gave me a tired 1802 Large Cent, a Whitman Blue Book, and a box of circ. Indian Head Cents. The Indians are long gone but I still have the Blue Book (rather tattered now) and the 1802 Cent (since attributed as a S-242 - it grades VG with a few green spots). Shortly thereafter, like many kids of that generation, I started "hole-plugging" the Whitman folders. While most are long since gone, I still have my original Lincoln folders (1909 to 1940) and (1941 to date). I guess my best circulation find was a 1913-S cent in XF.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file