Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone else still have their childhood coin collection?

2»

Comments

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have mine and my father's.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got the whitman wheat folders, the jeffersons and some silver dimes. i got 1 1946 roosevelt dime in a hugger with the original .50 cents written on it.
  • TAMU15TAMU15 Posts: 577 ✭✭
    I'm in college currently and my collection is being sold off bit by bit to pay for tuition not covered by scholarships and so I always have enough cash to partake in normal "college pastimes" i realize I'd be a lot better off being more frugal with my collection, but I figure when I'm 50 I'd rather have the memories than the 15-20k in coins I started college with.

B
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, blue Whitman Lincoln cents. >>

Ditto!
  • BeeManBeeMan Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    I still have all the foreign coins I received from Littleton back in the mid 70's. I switched to American coins after a while and got many from them as well. Most of them are in Good to Fine. I have sold very few coins so I have everything I have bought since 1975.
    Watch the mirror count the lines
    The battle scars of all the good times

• Yes - still have all of mine from when I started in 1967 at age 7. Whitmen folders of Lincolns, Roosies, Jeffs, Quarters, halves, etc......also have about 20 silver dollars from back then. Got my 1st coin at a show, in 1967, a 1902 IHC for 30 cents.

Also when I was 7 (1967) my aunt, who also collected, told me to save any pre-65 silver coins I found in circulation.....did save some.....

......I collect old stuff......
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have some uncirculated Susan B. sets I bought from the mint in 1979 and 1980. I have a proof 1987-S ASE that I bought for about $10 from the mint. I had it slabbed a couple of years ago for no particular reason. Other than that there are a couple of bags of loose change finds including some Kennedys, Ikes, and such. Most of it is pretty ho-hum but I did manage to save one silver-clad Kennedy.

• << <i>I'm in college currently and my collection is being sold off bit by bit to pay for tuition not covered by scholarships and so I always have enough cash to partake in normal "college pastimes" i realize I'd be a lot better off being more frugal with my collection, but I figure when I'm 50 I'd rather have the memories than the 15-20k in coins I started college with.

B >>

This

You can always buy coins when you are old, college girls and unmonitored free time are available only for a small fleeting period in one's life.
  • ksammutksammut Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭
    Yes, all of my Whitman cents, nickels, and quarter albums. I collected, for a brief time, in the mid 60s.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Most stuff has been sold. Still have a few pieces that were raw that have since been slabbed
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    I do. I have all of my childhood coin collection. Mostly consists of a Lincoln Dansco and some hodge podge stuff.

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I wish I had saved up my lawn mowing money back then and found a 1792 half disme for about $950. Let's see that would have been about 125 lawns.

No wonder I do not have one.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • TAMU15TAMU15 Posts: 577 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm in college currently and my collection is being sold off bit by bit to pay for tuition not covered by scholarships and so I always have enough cash to partake in normal "college pastimes" i realize I'd be a lot better off being more frugal with my collection, but I figure when I'm 50 I'd rather have the memories than the 15-20k in coins I started college with.

B >>

This

You can always buy coins when you are old, college girls and unmonitored free time are available only for a small fleeting period in one's life. >>

Absolutely college is a time (in my opinion) to learn, LIVE and learn how to live. I worked my ass off buying coins and I still do buy/sell/flip on the side to make money. So far I've looked back on what I've sold and the great times and memories I've gotten out of it and I have NO REGRETS lol. To pay for my upcoming Spring Break trip to Gulf Shores I sold several coins all of which I made money on. Ask MFH, Ponyexpress8 or anyone else that I am facebook friends with, they've all seen the pictures people put up and I think they would agree I'm making worthwhile memories image
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Yep, the only thing I collected in college was a few friends, a few memories, and I think an edyoukayshun.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • No, my best friend stole it from me, err my ex best friend. I even found the coins and the person who bought them. I was only about 16 and did not want to be called a rat at school so I let it go, did not even get the coins back. What a dummy I was.
  • TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭
    I still have parts of it!
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    I have the wheat cents, now in a folder, i pulled from change.
    i sold most of the silver halves, quarters and dimes i collected from change when it passed $25 and upgraded & completed the washington and walker collection.
    still upgrading them as the oppotunities presents themself.

My dad still has his as well.
    he still has a 1909s vdb he got in payment for a pack of cigarettes (~$0.31?) as a teen.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Washington Quarters are in a Whitman blue "slider" album. My cents over time have all been upgraded except one. In this capital plastic board is my AG 1924 D I found roll searching in the late 1960's.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭
    I didn't start collecting until I was 25 years old. Here is my longest-held coin from my core collection, which was purchased when I was 27. The piece was purchased uncertified, in the pre-PCGS era. The photo is courtesy of BluCC.

"Clamorous for Coin"
  • EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have all my old Whitman folders. Hoping to pass them to my kids when they're older.

JH
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I still have my 20th Century type set in a blue Whitman that I put together for a Boy Scout merit badge. My folks found it in an old box of junk they were going through.

My Lincoln set is still there too, but almost all of the coins have been upgraded over the years. I have just a small handful left from those days, including a 1970S SD from a mint set that I bought for face after someone pulled out the 70D half and a 31S in AU that I got in change from (of all places) a coin store.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    really didn't collect coins when i was a kid, started collecting coins when i was 22

1997-present

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I still have some circulated wheaties, mercs, etc, that my mother handed down to me. I also have several world coins I bought one time through mail order.

However, the more valuable pieces were stolen. image This included a few UNC Morgans bought during the "silver boom" around 1980 and an XF/AU 1913 Quarter Eagle that my mother had gotten from her father. I think they were stolen while I was away at college.
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Yes... every last one of them... I am a collector (Cough...hoarder...cough). I think I have sold maybe a handful of coins, but nothing from my childhood collection.

Ray
  • DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    Yes. Some folders I have are now out of print.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and they are still in their original storage box. I'll probably keep it as long as I can. While I haven't looked at them in years, it's neat to think of them stored the same way I collected when I was a kid.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only ones I still have are the ones my best friend willed to me. He was killed in Vietnam in January, 1968. They are exactly as they were back then-US stuff + the Vietnamese coins that were current at the time.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold some but saved the better pieces.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I have from my beginnings in coin collecting are the 2 coins given to me by an old collector that got me started. They are a 1882-O dollar in vf and a 1905-o half dollar in ag. They are both raw so grades are guesses. image
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep - still have the child-like scrawling on the old envelopes and the plastic tubes filled with worn out wheaties. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My lincoln cent collection through washington quarter - yes. I did sell my Morgan dollar set in 1979 for $6K that I put together in the 70's because I needed a down payment for my first house. Over half were choice-gem BU and there was no 1895 or 1893-S in the set. Wish I had kept it, but I needed a house.
    The Lincolns in my no.1 set (i.e. 1909-1940), are all circulation finds from going through rolls - I did find a 1909-S Vdb in a roll. I found all but the following 6 coins which I purchased to complete the set--I can still remember the dates that I purchased to complete the set. 1910-S,1911-S,1914-D,1914-S,1924-D and 1931-S. (I also had to buy a 1922 plain if you want to count that one). I did start to upgrade my Jefferson nickels, Roosevelt dime and Washington quarters to BU.

Bob
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I wasn't collecting then but when I was about 11 years old a friend of my mom gave me an album of a partial set of Lincoln cents. I still have that album although none of the coins are better dates or worth anything over a dollar or two.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Yes in parts. I've sold off some of the pieces I'm no longer interested in, and have much more purging to do actually... but yes I still have it.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭
    Yes I never get rid of anything! image
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I still have the Lincolns. Full set, but I got he 09-S VDB and the other key dates, as well as a whole bunch of upgrades in my adult years.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither the collection I had as a kid nor the "Playboy"s I bought with the money I got when I sold it.image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I still have my Lincoln cent collection from 1909-1966..still missing the same 4 coins I could not find in circulation...
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭
    That's ALL I have!!

I started collecting Lincolns & Jeffersons from circulation in blue tri-fold Whitman folders at my grandparents' house in the mid-60's & branched out over time to all the other denominations & a wider date/type range over the years, as well as to countries like Canada, Great Britain, Australia & New Zealand, & Mexico - - any country I could find Whitman folders for!

I never graduated past that collecting style to slabs, proofs, etc, and mainly just try to stay up-to-date at this point vs go after any of the remaining "holes" - - too expensive a proposition at this point....

Nothing valuable, but I enjoy just staying true to my roots & having something that's a piece of history to pass down to my kids to appreciate.image
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭
    I still have an old mustard jar full of foreign coins and some paper money, all collected when I was about 5-10 years old (in the 1980's).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file