habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    only one I have imaged:

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1901-O $10 with the largest obverse lamination known on top and a smaller in front of Ms. Liberty's eye.

imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Very common on Nickels...especially Silver war nickels from what I hear.

Here is a cool quarter I just sold on Ebay..

• Options
    very cool error coins

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my only one, a 1956 quarter and its a Type B. Enjoy imageimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very common on Nickels...especially Silver war nickels from what I hear.

Here is a cool quarter I just sold on Ebay..

image >>

Be careful! The delamination police might confiscate that!

delinky

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you any of you have an accumulation of 1943 Steel cents or 1942-5 Wartime nickels you stand a good chance of finding a piece with a lamination. Laminations are fairly common on those coins, especially the nickels.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options

• Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Dumb rookie question- are laminations good things from a value perspective, or a negative?

Is it considered a cool error, or "damaged"?

I've got a 1918-D Buffalo with a lamination on the reverse, I'd just like to know whether to love it or hate it.

Thanks.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minor laminations are very common and don't add to the value of the coin and may distract.

Major eye appealing lamination errors do carry a premium.
  • Options
    true they add little to the coin but to me they make the coin interesting to own, despite being common they are still a neat error to own

• Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I like it, I guess at the end of the day that's what counts.

I just have to be careful with my Dansco when I pull out the plastic insert, otherwise it "hangs" on the lamination.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamination, cracks and clashing

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Nice 21, I like!!

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1901-O $10 with the largest obverse lamination known on top and a smaller in front of Ms. Liberty's eye.

imageimage >>

Now if I had a gold lamination error, I'd be sure to collect any pieces that flaked off / de-laminated image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool examples.
    Here'smy one and only. I've had it ever since I was a little kid.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    Harry779Harry779 Posts: 902 ✭✭

• Options
    I was looking thru some minor errors and noticed that several Lincolns with laminations also seemed to have the woodgrain effect and the grain seems to go in the same direction as the lamination! I remembered this thread and I see that two of the war nickels previously shown here seem to have the same thing going on.
    Is the wood grain effect possibly from when they rolled the metal stock there were impurities and/or bubbles in the metal? Maybe this is what causes the wood grain as the metal is compressed?

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The woodgrain effect is caused by metal ingots with small, localized concentrations of alloy (zinc and/or tin in the case of bronze) that cause areas of the bronze to appear brassy being rolled out and elongated. These concentrations are caused by the zinc and/or tin not being properly diffused into the copper base. I believe that this was caused by the mixture not being heated hot enough.

If the alloying materials are really poorly mixed, when they get rolled out they could cause cracks in the metal that express themselves as laminations.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Here's a lamination line shaped like a U on the obverse of a 1960 Type B Reverse quarter.

• Options
    I forgot to mention that there are also lamination lines on the reverse of the 1960
    Type B Reverse quarter above the R in QUARTER and above the arrowheads running across
    the left wing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file