Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Presidential $1 First Day Cover collection...updated through Truman

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
The FDC's are housed in a large currency album. On page 6 you will see the FDC's taking a new direction in design...small profile, large black band to carry the new Mint logo. Not a fan.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Why would the Mint change the look so much in mid-stream? They've added their new logo in an oversized black band that reduces the size of the portrait. Next to the Lincoln cover Johnson looks puny.

Page 7

Page 8

Page 9

Page 10

Page 11

edtd to add page 11

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice!!

I have 10 sets of each myself.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    looks nice! i am keeping three of each.
  • Options
    They are nice, aren't they?!

• Options
    When displayed together the colors of the covers really compliment each other. It'll be interesting to see the stamp change over the next several years.

I think that in a year or two, these coins will be mint set and roll only...Sac-like.

Ren
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks good!
    I collect these too and have been thinking about how I would display them.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    Page 3 & 4 added.
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Nice display!
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    Pages 5 & 6 added.
  • Options
    Wow, I started wondering how my 2008 posting got into a post with 2011 Coin covers!

Nice Update!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First time I have ever seen a picture of Lincoln smiling.... weird... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Update: ...Grover Cleveland's 2nd term.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I stopped buying these just before the Lincoln came out and don't know what to do with the ones I have. No one wants them.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    I started out with 10 each, down to 5 after the 1st 4, now with 3 each which is more reasonable.

That's a cool display....
  • Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭
    I like your display. I have 20 of each (through subscription). It may take years, but I believe they will have value (maybe when my 11 year old has kids).
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    Notice that Garfield is the last cover to have a Flag stamp? I don't get the change.
  • Options
    Page 9: McKinley, TR, and Taft.
  • Options
    That is a nice set and I like the format and display of them.

I like the Presidential Dollar FDC program, I think it's a good way to get first strike coins.
    These sets are put together from the very first business strike coins.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
  • Options

<< <i>That is a nice set and I like the format and display of them.

I like the Presidential Dollar FDC program, I think it's a good way to get first strike coins.
    These sets are put together from the very first business strike coins. >>

I thought the "first strike" coins might have caught on...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First time I have ever seen a picture of Lincoln smiling.... weird... Cheers, RickO >>

It is well known that Lincoln had periods of depression that he called, "the lows." The fact that we do not see pictures of him smiling is not a reflection of this, however. People almost never smiled in photos in those days. In fact any photo from that period that shows someone smiling is a collectors' item. The reason was that the photo emulsions at that were slow, and the non smiling pose was easier to hold.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please don't mind if I boost this thread with presidential dollar photos going forward. If that's not acceptable, please PM me.
  • Options
    Placed an ordered for the last three to complete my set so far.

Here are some very poor pics of my set so far.
    I organize mine in a Light House Grande Album, Vario 2C holders, and black separator pages.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I really like those sets and sorry I stopped just before Lincoln. Still have 10 sets up to that point I don't know what to do with.
  • Options
    Hello all. Irregular lurker here.
    The four 2012 covers in this series P41 thru P44 have one of five weathervane stamps.
    Has anyone here managed to secure all 20 variations?
    Many of the covers in the second hand market are offered for sale still sealed in their white mailer envelope.
    Doesn't make being a rabid collector easy...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Macj… and welcome rabid one. image

please PM me anytime. I like moderns.
  • Options
    Edited to add pages 10-11 in OP.

Page 11
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Kind of dumb to change the format midway through the seriesimage
  • Options

<< <i>Kind of dumb to change the format midway through the seriesimage >>

I thought so too.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I stopped collecting these after Lincoln because I was collecting the spouse and presidential dollar medal sets at the same time. I still haven't housed the sets and the currency album will probably work well.

I still have about 25 sealed Washington First day Cover sets and about 130 PCGS MS 65 First Day of Issue Washington Dollars that I never sold. The market collapsed before I could make anything off them when I did a bulk submission.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file