Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Pele rookie card discussion

There was a good a thread about what Cassius Clays rookie card is so I thought I would follow up with a Pele discussion. I really don't know much about his cards so I'm hoping some soccer experts will chime in. This info is just from ebay and the pop report so don't take it as 100 percent fact.

1958-59 Balas Idolos
This is another card issued in Brazil. It is small and on thin stock similar to the Titulares. It is also very rare. I have only seen 1 ever sell on eBay. The set sold for 950. Also beware of this card with a blank back. The blank backs are fakes.

1958 Alifabolaget. This is my pick I think. Its the close to a mini version of a traditional card and psa does slab it. It has good color and a pretty clear picture on the card for an odd ball item from 58. The ones on ebay usually have ridiculous BIN so I'm not sure what it usually sells for.

1958 Swedish Rekord- this is a hand cut card from some sweedish magazine. Its not common but its the least rare of any of the cards from 58. I'm not a huge fan of hand cut cards especially if there are other options produced the same year. Psa does slab this and the panel

1958-59 Editora Aquarela - psa has started grading these. they were produced in brazil and are pretty similar to a traditional trading card. There are 24 cards in the set and was issued in perforated sheets meant to be stuck into an album. Apparently there are 2 versions. A first pressing with black numbers and a second pressing with blue numbers. The black is supposed to be more scarce. Be careful of reprints of this set. They were reproduced in the 70s. The cards have additional writing on the backs
Original

Reprinted uncut sheet
Reprint back

1957-58 Titulares (or 1958 AVE LTDA) - this is a good looking card IMO. Psa has started to grade this set. They are mislabeling them as handcut though. The following info was from an ebay listing... part of a 180-card soccer set issued in Brazil. 179 cards in total as #139 was not issued with the set and the set is considered complete without it, similar to the 1933 Goudey baseball set and Napoleon Lajoie). The set includes two cards of Garrincha, Gilmar, D. Santos, N. Santos, Pepe, Didi, and the rest of the World Champion 1958 Brazil World Cup team, plus two team cards with Pele in them.

1958-59 Edizioni V.A.V. Figurine Calicio - I know very little about this one. I just saw it on ebay and it sold for 550 bucks. Its blank back. It was issued out of italy. Psa also has started grading these.

1958-59 Quigol - this also produced in Brazil. Its a small color card. This seems to be the most scarce card of everything produced in 58. I have no idea what this would sell for. There is only 1 graded by psa. There has been a bgs 5.5 on ebay for 10k for over a year.

1958-59 Heinerle - This is definitely one of the more popular of his early cards. I think the only thing holding this back is the confusion as to when it was produced.. 58 or 59.

1958 DIARIO DA NOITE CARTAO DA VITORIA CAMPEAO DO MUNDO WORLD CUP
Just added this one to the discussion. It just sold on eBay for $400. This is the first time I have seen or heard of this issue. The seller said it was from Brazil.

1964 Panini - I guess this would fit the traditional definition of rookie card. This is his first card that is a major release from a major manufacturer. There is also a Valida version of this card I believe. The panini are not common but nowhere near as scarce as the cards from 58.
This is all the info I have on these. Would like to hear what anyone else has to offer. This is one of the last big rookie cards I need for my none major sport rookie card collection.
Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• 1958 Alifabolaget
    --> do you have one slabbed ?
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Pele signed a 4 to 7 million dollar contract with Warner Communications back in the early 70's. Pele's contract was for 5 years.

At that time, Henry Aaron was the highest paid baseball player, making $200,000 a season.
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    No. I only have a panini psa 4 that I picked up raw a while back. Its not a bad card. The centering on the back is pretty rough... Borderline mc. The back is clean though and the front presents well. I'm looking to upgrade to one of the 58s other than the rekord at some point. I would like it to be the Alifabolaget if the price is right. I'm hoping to find one in the psa 3 to 5 range for 250 to 500. A raw one in pretty rough condition sold for about 300 while back. I haven't really been following the card though so I'm not really sure what the mkt is exactly.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • nice topic, pele rookie cards i think have great investment value but finding one in overall good condition is always hard to find, most the cards i have being looking at lately have bein way over priced,i picked up a few of his 1958 heinerle cards but nothing since
  • Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    What about this thing: Titulares

I think the Alifabolaget is the best, but I too have only been able to afford the Panini.

As a side note, I sent my panini down to Brazil to get signed but got my card back unsigned with a signed photo included. The photo was personalized not a pre-print so I assume pele or a secretary signed it. Anyone know if he will sign trading cards? On SCN he's signed mostly photos.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>1958-59 Quigol - this also produced in Brazil. Its a small color card. This seems to be the most scarce card of everything produced in 58. I have no idea what this would sell for. There is only 1 graded by psa. There has been a bgs 5.5 on ebay for 10k for over a year. >>

Is this the one?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>nice topic, pele rookie cards i think have great investment value but finding one in overall good condition is always hard to find, most the cards i have being looking at lately have bein way over priced,i picked up a few of his 1958 heinerle cards but nothing since >>

I thought the heinerle was after 58? I knew it was one of his big early cards and thought about including it in my initial post but for some reason I thought it was 59 or 62. Could be wrong.

• << <i>

<< <i>nice topic, pele rookie cards i think have great investment value but finding one in overall good condition is always hard to find, most the cards i have being looking at lately have bein way over priced,i picked up a few of his 1958 heinerle cards but nothing since >>

I thought the heinerle was after 58? I knew it was one of his big early cards and thought about including it in my initial post but for some reason I thought it was 59 or 62. Could be wrong. >>

i myself taught it was from 59 untill i contacted the card makers in germany maybe about 2 years ago now and they came back to me saying the heinerle set with pele started production a few weeks before christmas 1958 and was stopped for the christmas holidays and started again early jan 1959,but they couldn say for sure when then the pele was printed,so maybe 1958 or was in later batch in early 1959.

im not so found of the pele rekord card as it lists edvaldo alves santarosa on the front of the card and we all know thats dida, but with peles picture ok i know it says pele also but to me i find this as an error card,i also had one but sold it a year ago

<< <i>What about this thing: Titulares

I think the Alifabolaget is the best, but I too have only been able to afford the Panini.

As a side note, I sent my panini down to Brazil to get signed but got my card back unsigned with a signed photo included. The photo was personalized not a pre-print so I assume pele or a secretary signed it. Anyone know if he will sign trading cards? On SCN he's signed mostly photos. >>

Great question. I have no idea what this is. This is the first time I've seen it. I guess the quigol is the one that is from 59. The Heinerle is a 58. So I think the Heinerle should bump the quigol.

• << <i>

<< <i>What about this thing: Titulares

As a side note, I sent my panini down to Brazil to get signed but got my card back unsigned with a signed photo included. The photo was personalized not a pre-print so I assume pele or a secretary signed it. Anyone know if he will sign trading cards? On SCN he's signed mostly photos. >>

Great question. I have no idea what this is. This is the first time I've seen it. I guess the quigol is the one that is from 59. The Heinerle is a 58. So I think the Heinerle should bump the quigol. >>

any idea what the heinerle is going for nowadays as i havnt seen one pop up in a while,,also in the heinerle set of the same year is a card with pele and the whole brazil team which is a nice looking card
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Great discussion, and a good read as I have always wanted to know about which card was the "rookie".
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    I have the Rekord Journal in my collection as his rookie card. (BVG 6) In addition, I recently sold a PSA Authentic for $125.

I am like you in that I plan on having the Alifabolaget as the replacement when a fair priced one comes up. I have had an eBay search set for several years and have not found a fair deal yet. I almost reached a deal on on of the astronomical BIN's but the seller was overseas and wanted to take it off eBay. I was not comfortable doing that with no tracking, etc.

Hook'em
  • onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    " i do dis, i do dis, i do dis, goal" (Victory......bad movie, Stallone at 5'2 as the goalie! ) What?
    I guess this one should be added to the potential rookie card list. This is the first time I've seen this card. I have no idea if it sells for more or less than some of his other cards from 58. It looks like a pretty nice card to me. It might get my vote over the Alifabolaget since it was produced in brazil.

1958 Titulares Pele

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Near-Complete-Brazilian-Titulares-Set-with-Pele-/300685444454?pt=US_Soccer_Trading_Cards&hash=item46023fc566#ht_500wt_922
    I missed out a pretty nice auction yesterday for a 1958 Editora Aquarela. The entire album with an uncut sheet of cards sold for 200 bucks. The bottom of the sheet that had the pele card had a small amont of damage but the card was pretty clean for something from 1958 from brazil. I never knew how these cards came. It appears that they were issued as perforated sheets that were meant to be separated and put into the album. I'm pretty bummed I missed out a pretty good opportunity to get one of his cards from 1958 for less than 500 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;_trksid=p4340.l2557&amp;hash=item2c6608316f&amp;item=190690373999&amp;nma=true&amp;pt=US_Soccer_Trading_Cards&amp;rt=nc&amp;si=qO0h3LH0gWF0JLlRAzoOl0VmDFI%3D&amp;orig_cvip=true&amp;rt=nc
    i just added a scan of another card from 1958 that i have never seen before.. i only own the panini card.. but i'm pretty interested in his cards from the 50s.. so decided to post some scans of the ones that i could find
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the pickup, buddy! You'll have to post scans when it arrives.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
    I didn't win it.. I just noticed while searching ebay. I did bid on the uncut sheet though and dropped the ball on that one and lost it. I was board so decided to add some scans of the cards I talked about. The only card that I have is the panini but I would love to own any of the other ones.. I'm not ready to drop the money on one yet.
  • Someone asked above if Pele signs trading cards. Yes he does...or has in the past. My brother met Pele when Pele was in town for a soccer tournamet about 10 years ago. My brother had an interview with Pele (my bro ran the camera) and got Pele to sign a topps trading card for me. He actually signed the hard plastic card cover first before my brother had a chance to get the card out of the holder. he then signed the card as well.

I cherish that card, i played soccer in school and imo he's the greatest soccer player ever and one of the best athletes ever.
    I was finally able to pick up a 58 pele card. I scored a Titulares # 86 today. I will scan it when I get it. There a sample pic in my first post. The one I got looks like it presents well from the front but has pretty bad back damage from being removed from an album. Hopefully it will grade a 1. The condition wasn't great but these are really tough to find and I've been looking for one for a long time. Psa also has starting grading these but mislabeled them as hand cut. Hopefully they fix that before I sub mine
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pele cards, to me, are in the same boat as boxing cards. The first card issued is almost never the most desirable. I can't think of a single major boxer whose first card is the most desirable by collectors.

The great thing about Pele cards is that there are still so many that are pretty much unknown to the hobby that the process should be an ever-evolving and enjoyable one. Soccer's global popularity, even back in the 50s and 60s, means that there are some excellent cards of his that are floating around in places like South America that most don't know about yet. Personally, I would prefer a mid-60s example from an extremely difficult set over many of the "rookie cards." Great discussion though, always good to see futbol get some love in the collecting community.
    I updated my original post with some more information. Looks psa grades all of these now. Most of my info came from eBay listings by peleseller. He certainly knows a lot about these cards. Especially the ones from brazil. He also saved me money by giving a heads up in one of his listings about a reprint that was listed by another seller.
  • KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Here's a rare one from my collection.

the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• I'm English, and living in Sweden... Not knowing anything about how sought after the Pelé Alifa 'rookie' card is, I've put one up for auction on the Swedish eBay subsidiary, Tradera.

Not just Pelé - but ten other members of the 1958 Brazilian World Cup team from the same series - plus a team picture. More cards, with members of the Swedish and German teams are also included in the same lot.

The auction is open to international buyers and finishes on May 26th 2013. At time of writing, the bidding is up to about $15(!) for all of it! The cards have not been glued into an album so the backs are clean and fresh looking - each with a short text in Swedish.

A link to the auction here:
    http://www.tradera.com/samlarbilder-fotbolls-vm-1958-sverige-tyskland-brasilien-auktion_293311_182376193

To see the back and front of the Pelé card, see this video on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEOG32NTbyw

A link to the English version of the sign-up page for the Tradera website (in order to be able to bid):
    http://www.tradera.com/UserRegistration.mvc/NonSwedishPrivate

Knowing what I know now, I wish I could re-list the auction on eBay itself, but Tradera's rules don't allow me to end the auction prematurely. I'll be able to accept payment via PayPal. Shipping by registered mail.

I thought some of you guys might figure this was a good opportunity to get hold of this particular card for a reasonable price.

Best wishes,
    Chris

Just added some scans and info I stole from eBay on the 58-59 Balas card.
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a rare one from my collection.

image >>

I tried subbing my raw copy of this card, plus the #77 Pele/Lev Jascin (Yashin) card from the same set, to PSA a while back, and both got N9'd. Have you tried to cross your SGC slab over to a PSA?
  • Very interesting thread. Just got this Heinerle Pele back from PSA:

Just saw a 1958 pele I haven't seen before sell on eBay. I added it to the first post. This is the first I have seen or heard of this set.

I saw that one too. Pretty interesting, but I decided to pass for now, as I know how hard it would be to ever get PSA, or probably SGC or BVG either, to grade that set. Besides what I have in the Pele set registry, I probably have an equal number of Pele items that don't get graded by anyone, and I've limited myself on how much I'm going to spend on an item that will remain raw for now. That said, it is neat to see new items like this pop up all the time. For me the hunt and unknown foreign items are a major part of the allure of chasing players/sets/sports that are not part of the big 4.

• << <i>It is neat to see new items like this pop up all the time. For me the hunt and unknown foreign items are a major part of the allure of chasing players/sets/sports that are not part of the big 4. >>

That's what I love about this thread and other threads by you and by eagles33. Always some cool items that I wasn't familiar with.
    Here is a new one from 1958. This one looks like the closest to a traditional card. It is the only time I have ever seen or heard of this set. If anyone has any info please add it

1958 QUADRO DA VITORIA A NOITE

It has a look to me based on the top edge that it may have been a hand-cut issue from a thicker than average cardboard stock panel.

I was watching that one, but for the amount it will eventually sell for, I'd like to have more info on it with some additional confirmation on issuance year and manufacturer. I've picked up a lot of similarly rare cards of his like this, but I definitely have a top end for purchase price on items that need researching. Good luck if you end up buying it. It'll be a fun one to have.

Its an interesting card but like you said there just isn't enough info on it. I don't feel like researching it and then trying to convince psa to slab it. That being said... It could be a nice project for someone. I'm amazed at how many pre 1960 cards of pele keep popping up. Who knows what else will surface. A slabbed run of all of the cards in the first post would be impressive. I only have the titulares and my copy was on the verge of decintergrating before it got into a slab. My only complaint is that they slab them as hand cut which I don't believe I'd the case
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is a new one from 1958. This one looks like the closest to a traditional card. It is the only time I have ever seen or heard of this set. If anyone has any info please add it

1958 QUADRO DA VITORIA A NOITE >>

This one looks identical to the one in your original post.

Justin
    It is. I just edit the original post each time I learn of a new one. Thought it would be better to have all of them with images in a single post.
    Would be interesting to see another surface. It's a very cool card. I'm a little late to the Pele fan party, but Pele seems to be a great guy to collect. Seems to also be a great TTMer. Got a TTM back from him late last year, personalized along with a note.

Justin
  • The seller of this card is very savvy about what he sells. Sometimes the cards he offers truly are rookies. Other times they are not rookies. Caveat emptor.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

<< <i>The seller of this card is very savvy about what he sells. Sometimes the cards he offers truly are rookies. Other times they are not rookies. Caveat emptor. >>

I'll definitely give you that Paul knows his stuff. That being said, much of what he sells is quick turn-around flips from the various foreign sites out there, and sometimes he just lists the items based on what the foreign seller he bought from had listed without looking further into it, which sometimes means an inaccuracy. As eagles knows, the South American cards are very difficult to research compared to the Euro ones.

• Guys please, take in consideration that this is NOT a card. This is made of cardboard material but has the size of an A4 paper (210 × 297 millimeters or 8.27 × 11.69 inches). In my book this does not qualify as a card, and believe me I am very open-minded when it comes down to the definition of a "card" ;-) I would also love to discover a new Pele rookie card, but unfortunately this is not the case with this one.

However, just to move the discussion forward, there are three actual cards from Germany and issued in 1958 actually preceding the 1959 Heinerle that is widely considered as the German rookie. I have just published today some information about this as well as scans of those three cards and a complete checklist here

I will try to compose a post with the recognised rookies slabbed. I don't have everything but most of them. In the meantime you can see scans of them in my Pele set,
    here .
    Yikes. I did not know it was basically 8x11. I would agree that this is not a card.

<< <i>Guys please, take in consideration that this is NOT a card. This is made of cardboard material but has the size of an A4 paper (210 × 297 millimeters or 8.27 × 11.69 inches). In my book this does not qualify as a card, and believe me I am very open-minded when it comes down to the definition of a "card" ;-) I would also love to discover a new Pele rookie card, but unfortunately this is not the case with this one.

However, just to move the discussion forward, there are three actual cards from Germany and issued in 1958 actually preceding the 1959 Heinerle that is widely considered as the German rookie. I have just published today some information about this as well as scans of those three cards and a complete checklist here

I will try to compose a post with the recognised rookies slabbed. I don't have everything but most of them. In the meantime you can see scans of them in my Pele set,
    here . >>

Great information. Thanks very much for helping clear that up. Great set by the way.

Justin
    Your pele collection is awesome. I didn't know psa slabbed a lot of those cards. The 65 crack is one of my favorites.

• << <i>Your pele collection is awesome. I didn't know psa slabbed a lot of those cards. The 65 crack is one of my favorites. >>

Agreed. Always liked the design of that card and your copy is fantastic!
  • Thanks guys. I only during the last months started submitting my soccer collection - mainly Pele - to PSA. I have been trying to grade some issues that have not been issued before (like the 1965 Crack Pele for example) and I will have hopefully even more new issues graded during the next couple of months. The Pele master set is really shaping up. Kudos to Greg, who has #1 in the Pele Master Set who has done a great job getting a lot of soccer items graded for the first time.
    How did you convince psa to grade it? I have 2 cards from the 1980 Deportistas Argentinos Y Del Mundo set at psa now but don't think they are going to get slabbed
  • You will need at least a partial checklist of the set and preferably even a scan of the front and back page of the album as well as a couple of sample pages. If you have these it always helps to have them published on-line in a somewhat reputable site. If you have or get the material send me a message and I can help you publishing them. Then you can add a note at your submission form referring to the link with the scans and checklist. This is the workflow I have followed for every card I got graded for the first time. Most of the times it works.

<< <i>You will need at least a partial checklist of the set and preferably even a scan of the front and back page of the album as well as a couple of sample pages. If you have these it always helps to have them published on-line in a somewhat reputable site. If you have or get the material send me a message and I can help you publishing them. Then you can add a note at your submission form referring to the link with the scans and checklist. This is the workflow I have followed for every card I got graded for the first time. Most of the times it works. >>

Good info. Thanks. I sent you a pm

<< <i>Here is a new one from 1958. This one looks like the closest to a traditional card. It is the only time I have ever seen or heard of this set. If anyone has any info please add it

1958 QUADRO DA VITORIA A NOITE >>

This sold for $555. I hope the winning bidder knew the size of the item before bidding. Thanks again for letting us know it's 8x11
    Dupe post