Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just too far at Heritage

Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
My browser had my password (which they - Heritage - assigned to me nearly 10 years ago). Well today I couldn't log in for some reason so I asked to reset it. Here's what I got - they have changed security procedures:

Passwords are case sensitive, must contain at least 10 characters, and must include three out of the four types of characters: upper case, lower case, numbers, special characters.

Are they out of their minds? This is an auction site, not Fort Knox.

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seems to be becoming normal for many places.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    too far?

good job!

just make a mnemonic sentence then pull the characters from there.

hurray for higher security.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I agree this is way to far let me pick my own password
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a certain point where complicated passwords are useless. If someone really wants to hack an account, they'll have a computer guess the password, not a human. And computers only care about the math.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There's a certain point where complicated passwords are useless. >>

probably true, but i hope not too true since most of my passwords look like this:

Y4l.;y)0]'H7di@*3ShW+6u-c.3d[x

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to change mines
    a couple of weeks ago !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    so my dogs name is no longer a lock on securityimage
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mine; she still verks!image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    My password still works, but I changed it anyway.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose that it's better than having those indecipherable symbols that crop up on some sites these days. Those things drive me crazy. image

I can't imagine what it must be like for people who don't have good eye sight for reading those things.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best, and most easily remembered, password that incorporated the character rule I ever saw was: 2B|~2b (To be or not to be). The problem is, nowadays it is too short to use.

JH
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And if you want to change your password on Teletrade, you need to call customer service.
  • Options
    I was getting unexpected and weird customer service responses from Heritage, questions I had never asked them, via email. So someone was playing a practical joke by using my email for responses. All they have to do is check place of origin or the ISP!!

I have seen spam or bot foiling codes you are supposed to enter for privacy or other purposes that are impossible to decipher. You have to try a few times before they let you proceed!

Well, they could always ask a life or death question on the air speed velocity of a swallow? Do you mean an African or a European swallow?
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree this is way to far let me pick my own password >>

Hey now, this is a free country. You can do/say whatever you want long as you stay within the parameters set forth by the SEC, FCC, IRS, and all the other anagrammers! image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Golly gee whiz! You mean I can't upgrade my collection at someone else's expense anymore?!image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Are they out of their minds? This is an auction site, not Fort Knox."

We can't answer that question. You will have to address it to Heritage.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats not so bad, to log onto my military e-mail the passwords are much worse to remember. And to boot you cant reuse any of the old info from the last. Finally you must change your password every 90 days(or more if you forget it). Talk about a pain in the arse...its nonclassified e-mail....unit picnic is here....job opening there....come on.
  • Options

Mine still works; it's "coinman" and still good........

j/k........(but mine still works)image

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options
    It's not that big of a deal.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i had to change my password at one place and i still cant get on image ( even after 4 attempts )
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    The most annoying thing is all these stupid sites have different stupid rules so you can't even come up with one fantastic password and use it everywhere.

My stupid bank has a maximum password length (10) and they are too stupid to just chop off the stupid extra characters I type. Idiots!

-KHayse
    ps my Heritage password is still the one I made 10-15 years ago. I'm not too worried about someone hacking in and changing the coins I'm tracking. image
  • Options

Are they out of their minds? This is an auction site, not Fort Knox. >>

Unfortunately that is required these days to protect your safety.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My old password still works. What determines the need to have it changed?
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Pretty much the industry norm these days.
  • Options
    I keep a list of user names and passwords. No way I could remember them. I have well over 50 different ones.

The computer should make up a new password and remember it for me each time. Computers are supposed to make our lives easier.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something I have noticed with more difficult password requirements... People put the website, username and password all on a sticky note and either attach it to the computer screen/desk or put it under their keyboard or in the desk drawer. image If you walk around any large company with cubicles, you will see that. Granted, that is a little bit different than passwords tied to personal money...but I have gone into homes and seen this done as well. Crazy
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Some folks even leave their cars and front doors unlocked ... diversification is a beautiful thing.

And only two weeks after those credit cards were compromised at ANA Philly ... interesting to see everyone's opinions
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    I use a product called AI Roboform.

It remembers all my passwords so I don't have too, and it has no trouble remembering arbitrarily complicated passwords. All I need to remember is the master password.

It's not free, but it's well worth it.

Even supports you Mac fanatics.

I use Roboform Desktop, which is just a one-time charge. They have a product called Roboform Anywhere which supports smart phones and tablets, but it has an annual charge.

Roboform Website

Yes, I know this sounds like a commercial, but I am just a very satisfied user.

For anyone who wants a free solution, look at KeePass2. It's not as convenient as Roboform, but it works.

KeePass website
  • Options

I hate those kinds of passwords as well, but we have a HR type website at our workplace where we even have those same kind of password requirements. The stupid thing is there is really nothing that can be done on that website even if someone hacked into it, worse then reviewing someone's job title, etc. You can't make any changes or anything and there is no way from that site to really do any harm, and still they require that.

JJacks
    Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    My password uses every letter, numerals, and symbols on the keyboard! I change the order everytime I log in too so I'm unhackable image
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an auction site, not Fort Knox.

True. Then again, we can be certain there's gold at Heritage. Not so sure about Fort Knox.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    Strongly agree with above endorsement of RoBo Form. I have 30 or more passwords to various sites and do not have to remember any of them. Can log on in about 5 seconds. It is well worth the $20.00 in time & headaches saved.
    Ed
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is an auction site, not Fort Knox.

True. Then again, we can be certain there's gold at Heritage. Not so sure about Fort Knox. >>

They are getting a little carried away though.

I called to order a catalog. I gave them my customer number and name. I had to "verify" my address, telephone number, and email address.

I pointed out to the guy that he wasn't sending me coins nor money, only a catalog. And I do business with them weekly, so my details needed no verification. No going. It was "policy."
  • Options

<< <i>This is an auction site, not Fort Knox.
    True. Then again, we can be certain there's gold at Heritage. Not so sure about Fort Knox. >>

imageimageimage
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file