Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GERMAN SILVER ~~~for the •• HoT•• WeeKenD

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
Copper always Copper....how 'bout some German Silver for the Weekend!

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    wow those feuchtwangers are awesome!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭
    While I'm still hot, those look cool.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a nice one, too-

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful three-centers. I have yet to get either one, but would like to. I have a couple of the one-centers though, but nothing like that one. It is nice to see well struck examples of all three Feuchtwangers.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    Yup the Three Cent Feuchtwangers are one of the ultimate dark horse esoteric coins. Overall these Feuchtwangers are amazing coins (tokens) and the beauty and quality of engraving always amazes me. This one is variety 4E and is ex QDB and was chosen by him to illustrate the Feuchtwanger Currency in "100 Greatest American Medals and Tokens"

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice ambro51... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Love it!
  • Options

1837 R. E. Russell 12 1/2 Cent Feuchtwanger Issue Low 128 HT 309 R6 13-30 known

imageimage
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beauty!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1837 R.E. Russell, HT-309 / Low-128, R-6.

Ex: Robert J. Hudson, M.D. collection.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    'Tis a Beauty Broadstruck if ever you should come upon any nuggets of information please post it. I feel personally this was intended as a pattern, so few survive and it's so illogical, having a million silver pennies out there in 1837 and here's one worth 12.5X that..... Must have been one confusing coin.
  • Options

1837 Feuchtwanger 3 Cent, Low-119 HT-265 R7+ ex. Q. David Bowers Collection

imageimage

And, a little macro work....

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Super dark side
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    Spectacular Piece!!
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    excellent examples and pieces...everyone
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>'Tis a Beauty Broadstruck if ever you should come upon any nuggets of information please post it. I feel personally this was intended as a pattern, so few survive and it's so illogical, having a million silver pennies out there in 1837 and here's one worth 12.5X that..... Must have been one confusing coin. >>

Thanks ambro51, As Feuchtwanger advertised to strike store cards for other merchants...

I too feel this may have been a pattern and a small quantity was struck and it's possible that Mr. Russell rejected and aborted ordering others.

Also I was looking at the reverse of the Russell one morning and noticed possible trace remnants of the One Cent reverse design.

Kaz and I were tossing some thoughts around and a while back and came up with the following...

Lewis Feuchtwanger may have poorly ground down an existing 1c reverse die and re-cut it for the die for the 12 1/2c Russell.

You can see some similarities as the 1c die wasn't properly defaced.

I haven't had a chance to run this past QDB to get his thoughts.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>'Tis a Beauty Broadstruck if ever you should come upon any nuggets of information please post it. I feel personally this was intended as a pattern, so few survive and it's so illogical, having a million silver pennies out there in 1837 and here's one worth 12.5X that..... Must have been one confusing coin. >>

Thanks ambro51, As Feuchtwanger advertised to strike store cards for other merchants...

I too feel this may have been a pattern and a small quantity was struck and it's possible that Mr. Russell rejected and aborted ordering others.

Also I was looking at the reverse of the Russell one morning and noticed possible trace remnants of the One Cent reverse design.

Kaz and I were tossing some thoughts around and a while back and came up with the following...

Lewis Feuchtwanger may have poorly ground down an existing 1c reverse die and re-cut it for the die for the 12 1/2c Russell.

image >>

Wow that would be something and sure would add to the cool factor!
  • Options
    That IS possible! I had wondered why there were misstamped devices but never thought along those lines. A GIF would help, www.gifninja.com. Obverse 6 must have been an incredibly well made die, several hundred thousand must have struck, they account for at least half of all the one cent pieces.
  • Options
    I picked this one up off ebay for fifteen bucks. The finest lowball Feuchtwanger I've seen, and problem free!
    My theory on very worn Feuchtwangers is that they took on a second life passing as an old thin dime.

imageimage
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭
    Even though it's Monday.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

That's a REALLY cool find Broadstruck! Thanks for posting this. I love hearing about stuff like this!
    New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file