Home Precious Metals

THIS! is (part of) what's wrong with America!

piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
Sorry if it's OT, but stuff like this makes my blood boil. Good thing Miller time is only 2 hours away. I know there's bigger things to get upset about but...ugghhh, it's crap like this that hits a nerve with me. Sorry, my apologies in advance for being OT.
Made me furious
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Agree 100% POMimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a disgrace to our Athletes.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sucks big, dead rats!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    My company has produced the uniforms for the Italian Team but I am not sure they are Made in Italy being a sport collection.
    At least, the Boss decided to print the national anthem inside each garment!

The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Those outfits are fugly. Looks like they just got off a yacht or something. The beret headgear is weird. What's wrong with sweatsuits that have USA embroidered on the back?
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Figures. Ugly too with the hats.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the electronics you used to convey your disgust were made where? We are all guilty because we shop where we save. Until American workers settle for less pay or foreign workers demand more pay, this is the price that is paid for a global economy. Hopefully by the time global pay finds equilibrium America will have not lost its ability to produce. Protectionism went out the window with the global movement.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And the electronics you used to convey your disgust were made where? We are all guilty because we shop where we save. Until American workers settle for less pay or foreign workers demand more pay, this is the price that is paid for a global economy. Hopefully by the time global pay finds equilibrium America will have not lost its ability to produce. Protectionism went out the window with the global movement. >>

...add in the differences in corporate tax, exchange rate, tariffs or lack of tariffs, health care, retirement fund contribution, pension plan expenses, etc....

<< <i>

<< <i>And the electronics you used to convey your disgust were made where? We are all guilty because we shop where we save. Until American workers settle for less pay or foreign workers demand more pay, this is the price that is paid for a global economy. Hopefully by the time global pay finds equilibrium America will have not lost its ability to produce. Protectionism went out the window with the global movement. >>

...add in the differences in corporate tax, exchange rate, tariffs or lack of tariffs, health care, retirement fund contribution, pension plan expenses, etc.... >>

Yepper, what's wrong with America is America's fault.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

Just when I thought it couldn't be worse, it gets worse.

You can buy a chinese made USA mens olympic blazer for $795!

ISYN - link
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Yepper, what's wrong with America is America's fault.

hammer meets nail...and that is the ROOT of what makes me furious, is that we allow it.
    derryb...somethings that I want to buy American can't be found American made. So do I not go with a computer at the very least in this day and age? I hear what you're saying with both ears, but when there is no choice, what can one do besides just go without and be left behind? It's safe for me to say that if I could find the parts American made, finding someone American to put it together for me and be functioning would be even more challenging.

And don't anyone dare accuse me of hating our Country either with a typical comeback of "love it or leave it." I DO love America, but I think I now love what America USE to be, and not what it is these days. Very very frustrating position to be in, maybe because I maybe care too much.
    I don't blame corporate America, they are only giving us what we want. If they don't, someone else will. The only workable solution, at the expense of higher prices, is tariffs on imports. Protectionism does tend to gain momentum in ecomomic crises. It may be the best hope for the American worker yet the worst nightmare for the American consumer.

I blame corporate amerika & all the Romney's that promote selling the USA out for GREED!image

We have NO choice in November! ZERO!!!imageimageimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
    Headline~top news on ABC the uniforms! TG!
    Avid collector of GSA's.

<< <i> We have NO choice in November! ZERO!!!imageimageimage >>

The banksters are giving you two choices; doesn't matter to them which one you choose. Win-win for them, lose-lose for you. You do, however, have a choice on how your tax dollars get wasted.

Yes, they have they puppets ready to perform!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THIS! is what's wrong with America!

Yep, there is only one thing wrong with America, and this is it. image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    "THIS! is what's wrong with America!"

Sorry guys, this has nothing to do with what is wrong with America. It is a symptom of what is wrong, but mostly, it is simply a distraction.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
    Keep in mind I did say in the op...I know there's bigger things to get upset about but...ugghhh, it's crap like this that hits a nerve with me

Far worse things to get upset about, but this just irked the hell out of me.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we saying that these uniforms can't be made for <$2,000 in America? If this is a fine tailored suit made to exacting specifications with the finest of silk, then maybe
    they can't be made for <$2,000.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭
    The country of origin of the uniforms had to match the country of origin for their shoes / cleats.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are we saying that these uniforms can't be made for <$2,000 in America? If this is a fine tailored suit made to exacting specifications with the finest of silk, then maybe
    they can't be made for <$2,000. >>

I don't know if there's anyone left in America that knows how to sew!

Only jobs left are serving coffee and giving financial advice.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

• << <i>"THIS! is what's wrong with America!"

Sorry guys, this has nothing to do with what is wrong with America. It is a symptom of what is wrong, but mostly, it is simply a distraction. >>

I'm in your camp 110%!!!!!!! Distraction, distraction! This symptom is a DIRECT result of over taxation right here in the USA, a result of NAFTA (thank you Bill Clinton), and a result of OVER regulation!!! Period........

What's truly wrong with America is BIG government spending. Period. Economics 101, don't spend more than you take in!!!!! Period..........

Avoid the distraction, and stay focused on the BIG picture. Having these Olympic uniforms made here in the USA, will NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM!!!!! GET IT?

GOT IT?
    GOT GOLD?
    Any larger US uniform company (UFirst) could have made those uniforms for a fraction of $2,000. But you probably wouldn't get a perfect fit either nor silk.

Would all be forgiven if the Chinese uniforms turn out to be made in America?
  • I agree that this is a shame. I just wanted to point out that the individuals producing these uniforms are American born billionaires currently living in monte carlo. They just use China as their manufacturing base.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posted this The Great Betrayal of 2012 in another thread but nooobody gave their personal view.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone want to guess where the flag in that picture was made? MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    Blame the people buying them, not the people making them. For decades the American worker shipped goods all over the world.

I blame the ones sent our jobs overseas & ones that let them do it!
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

Bingo.

<< <i>I blame the ones sent our jobs overseas & ones that let them do it! >>

American consumers sent the jobs overseas in their quest for the lowest prices. "Build a cheaper mousetrap and they will buy it."

I blame the ones sent our jobs overseas & ones that let them do it!

imageimage
    I revised the title just a bit by adding (part of) since some of you are taking it a little too literal that I'm implying this is the only thing wrong with America.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all depends on whose ox is being gored, doesn't it?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>

<< <i>I blame the ones sent our jobs overseas & ones that let them do it! >>

American consumers sent the jobs overseas in their quest for the lowest prices. "Build a cheaper mousetrap and they will buy it." >>

I do not believe the talking heads & the BS they force down our throats! Off shore tax havens & cheap slave labor I see & do believe.

This has become the new normal. I truly believe they T.H. could have stopped all the selling out of America! I hope I live long enough to see the American worker take back our country!!!

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps if we expensed as much anger towards our politicians as this topic we might actually get somewhere.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard some DC clowns on the news last night complaining about this. And reminded myself that 2008 was no different for the uniforms - made in china.

Maybe congress will parade Ralph Lauren down for a hearing, where he can school them on why this happens, and how catch-22 retarded they are for wasting everybody's time and money on their stupid reactions to the policies they created that made things like this happen.

<< <i>Perhaps if we expensed as much anger towards our politicians as this topic we might actually get somewhere. >>

So true! image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, hate to admit it sometimes in what I buy, but this is a big part of it.
    Buy domestic PMs. No more Kola's, Pandas, Kungs, etc..

Now I'm still for buying wisely. I did buy a Subaru which broke my string of US vehicles and it was an excellent car and the best choice in that style for me at the time. Since then I've gone back to Jeep and Chev. I've bought Cannondale bikes because they are made in the US but the frame makes the bike expensive for what you get, as you can get better component choices for the buck with other bikes. You have to investigate a bit to find more domestic choices. My job example shows whats happening. I'm surrounded by outsourced workers all day, which was not so 2 years ago. Now I've become the minority, with reduced benefits, with diminishing job responsibilities to get rid of the old guy, after helping build this US business over 9 years. Being polite, but not silent about this when asked via my job surveys... Thus, part of my PM rush..., if you gather my drift.

<< <i>American consumers sent the jobs overseas in their quest for the lowest prices. "Build a cheaper mousetrap and they will buy it." >>

COA

<< <i>Perhaps if we expensed as much anger towards our politicians as this topic we might actually get somewhere. >>

Politicians care little about anger or their constitutents once elected. They are more fearful of the lobbyists, media, and their elected peers than anyone else.
    What we do need to do however is to vote the entire gang of 535 out of office. Anything short of a 60-80% changeover couild not produce the needed change.
    And I'm not sure a 100% change will produce the desired effect since the "replacement players" will likely be of the same general mold. We are continually presented
    with candidates that all act the same. The mold has to be changed as well. 4 yrs ago the US voted for change. It didn't work.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question is free choice, or not? I think that's the first question we're all facing. Everything else follows from that, and my freedoms sometimes interfere with someone else's. I think the media has done a superb job in dividing us for the past 4 or 5 decades. Now, we aren't even us anymore.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ship more jobs over seas and order more things like that. wtg. what england and rome did in 1000 years we did in 250 imageimage
  • erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    And the official beer of the London Olympics is Heineken!!!!!

Actually this does nothing for me. Bigger things to worry about here and abroad then who made the uniforms for the opening and closing ceremonies. Besides, same designer, some manufacturing country for parts of the 2010 winter and 2008 summer olympics.

• fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Frankly, ever since it came out well over a decade-and-a-half ago that 'Made in the USA' just as likely meant 'Assembled in Congressionally Approved Sweatshops in US-held Territories where Women and Girls are Prostituted then Forced to have Abortions so they can Keep on Working', (now fit THAT on a label!) this kind of bogus 'righteously indignant' rhetoric is nothing more than disingenuous, hypocritical, jingoistic, sabre-rattling, election-year BULLSH*T. Focus on the real issues, for Pete's sake. Whether cars, computers, clothing or clothespins, if you endeavor to make a quality product, sell at a fair price, and protect the dignity of your workers, then you can complain about how level the playing-field is
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

...add in the differences in corporate tax, exchange rate, tariffs or lack of tariffs, health care, retirement fund contribution, pension plan expenses, etc.... >>

And executive pay, stock options and other perks; executive golden parachutes; executive pensions (including lifetime healthcare and insurance); corporate jets; political contributions; PACs and other lobbying costs; ....
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got really peeo'd when I went to buy Levi Jeans several years ago. I found them made in Mexico,
    Honduras, The Domincan Republic, Haiti but not the USA. I called them and found out that there is
    only one mill in the USA and they don't sell those via the retail market. Special orders and very
    expensive.

So, I decided to find jeans made in the USA and found these fine folks: Texas Jeans (not made in Texas).

I ordered a pair and it was easy and pleasant and I had to return to get a bigger size (my fault) and there
    were absolutely no problems and the customer service was EXCELLENT. I am a fan. Besides that they are
    very well made and fit to a tee. I'm hooked and they are made in the USA!

No spam as I don't have anything to do with Texas Jeans other that being a valued customer.

It is difficult to find USA made clothing. It will come back and the mills and shops will reopen as we drift downward
    to the 3rd world level. Our wages will be cheap enough, soon enough to get these back in business.

Shame,

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

So, I decided to find jeans made in the USA and found these fine folks: Texas Jeans (not made in Texas).

>>

People in Texas never wear Texas Jeans for that exact reason. image
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

People in Texas never wear Texas Jeans for that exact reason. image >>

Gee, that's too bad because they are actually good jeans!

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a disgrace to our Athletes. >>