Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It has been a good run....Goodbye for now.

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a well thought out decision - well done. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing your new venture! Post a pick of any gators or snakes you get in the backyard....

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Best wishes and good luck!
    You won't regret it, being close to your family is the best thing for you and your daughter.

I will do (hopefully) the same move in one year or two. From the amazing NYC to my 2700-people hometown in Tuscany. image
    Scary move but I really want to be by my parents and all relatives (I have more than 40 in the same town)

Again, best of luck to you!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Best wishes. I've always enjoyed my treks along Highway 10.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck.It sounds like that you made the right decision.image
  • Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    It takes great courage to make a decision like that. Kudos for doing what is best for you and yours. Good luck!
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your kids will read this about 20 years from now and thank you. Well done.
  • Options
    3sidesofsilver3sidesofsilver Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    Great choice, Brandon, and best of luck!
    --Craig
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandon, I'm sure it was a tough decision, but sounds like it was well thought and the best thing for all of you. I've always enjoyed seeing you at the shows, and on the boards so you will be missed but I will look forward to your return. Take care....
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Brandon,Good luck and best wishes,i will talk to you soon.Let me know on what we discussed later,Monday or Tuesday better pal!image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Right on Brandon, you are a great man with a very lucky family :-)
    I still have that primo 09-SVDB in PCGS AU-58 I bought from you years ago............
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't imagine how you chose the moniker "poorguy" for here. You are wealthy in wisdom and the gift of your child and spouse that makes even the world's most rare coin pale in comparison. IMHO, you've made the right decision. Stay on course. We'll be here when you return. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    That sounds like a well thought out plan, not a defeat or anything like that, more like a positive step forward. Changes like that, if taken with a positive spirit, are often extremely beneficial to your short and long term being. Best wishes!
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sort of new on this board, but the short time I seen your posts and coins, you seem like a passionate man. My prayers are with you and your beloved family.-joeyimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I wish you only the very best Brandon-hope we hear from you at least once in a while image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Say Hi to Sookie for me!
    "If we are facing in the right direction, all we need to do is keep on walking." - David Brent
  • Options
    karpman9karpman9 Posts: 309 ✭✭
    Brandon,

You and I have always managed to remain in touch over the years - a constant admirer of your offerings and an occasional customer going back to the days of the snake. You may well recall, that we have some shared experiences - involving promises made long ago not quite fulfilled by those who made them. The wife and kids are really the only things that matter - and we both know that well. You can't put a price on their happiness and well being.

So congratulations on putting your wife and kids first. It's really a no-brainer as we put our trust in our faith - knowing that more will be revealed and that we're just passengers - we don't quite drive the bus as much as we'd like to believe.

Godspeed - I'm looking forward to your next big venture and to your occasional updates.

All my best!! Ps. Jhon is a class-act!!

Karpman9
    Jeffrey Karp
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Jeff.K. Karp

Meet my first little guy, Benjamin. Born 4/8/2007
    Pic taken at 2.5 years of age.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Very best wishes to you and yours Brandon, and I hope to see you posting here again soon.

BTW......it was very nice meeting and talking with you at last years Central States show in Chicago, and my wife was talking for weeks after the show about how cool it was actually getting to hold those $5000.00 and $10000.00 bills you were holding and handed to her to look at. image
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

Best wishes for you and your family.It sounds like this is a good move for you,GBU family wise.Small towns have alot of plusses that we in urban cities will never know.GBU
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandon:

I think it is awesome that you are making this move!

You are getting back to your roots! What is wrong with that? Plus a built in real family support for your child.

If more of America did what you are doing there would be less Garland Texas places and there would be a better America!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looking forward to seeing your new venture! Post a pick of any gators or snakes you get in the backyard.... >>

snakes?

EEK
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to you and your family Brandon.

You want small town life, try Dry Prong! image
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    Best wishes to you, its always a smart move to put family first.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck, best wishes, and may God Bless you
    and your family !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Lived in my hometown in Baltimore all my life. Really had no desire to live anywhere else. Can't go wrong going back to your roots.
  • Options
    Good Luck buddy...we will be here when you get back and I will save a cup of burnt Christmas for you image
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish you the best Brandon. I know you will do well.
    Larry

• Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good plan. Best wishes.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good decision, great to see a man put family first, in my book you have more to be proud of now than before

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭
    "Life moves at a pace that allows you to take pleasure in the small things in life."

Brandon, I think your statement above says it all. Quality of life for you and your family is more important than any material aquisitions. Sadly, most of us realize that too late in life, or until we have a real life and death kick in the backside life event. You may encounter some who just "can't understand" what or why you are doing what you are. Ignore them. St. Thomas Aquinas once said: "Ask not to understand such that ye may believe; Ask to believe that ye may understand." My sincerest congratulations for understanding this at such a young age. Best of luck.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with hometowns unless you are chasing a career, but careers end and family goes on forever. Most people in the Pittsburgh area never leave and those that do want to come back. I left San Clemente CA to move back to my hometown and the only thing I missed was the beach (It was a big miss tho). Something about driving on the roads I grew up driving on and the familiarity of it all that is just quite relaxing. Anyway, best of luck!!
  • Options
    jamesfsmjamesfsm Posts: 652 ✭✭
    I think the world of Brandon and very much wish him well. I was going to leave it at that but I think some of the comments about Garland, TX are a bit unfair. I do not live in TX nor have I ever lived there. I have family in North Texas so I know factually that some of the best public schools in the country are in North Texas. Garland is a medium sized city of 60,000 so it's a bit unfair for us as a group to generalize about its schools. Some of the city's schools are very good.

For example, here are some highly rated public schools in Garland:

Walnut Glen Academy for Excellence
    Public · PK-5
    3101 Edgewood Dr
    Garland, TX 75042

James Garland Walsh Middle School
    Public · 6-8
    3850 Walsh Ranch Blvd
    Round Rock, TX 78681
    (512) 704-0800

Garland McMeans Junior High School
    Public · 6-8
    21001 Westheimer Pkwy
    Katy, TX 77450

Beaver Technology Center
    Public · PK-5
    3232 March Ln
    Garland, TX 75042

Classical Center at Brandenburg Middle
    Public · 6-8
    626 Nickens Rd
    Garland, TX 75043

Davis Elementary School
    Public · PK-5
    1621 McCallum Dr
    Garland, TX 75042

I feel badly that Brandon's wife did not land a gig at one of these better schools. Anyway, good luck to Brandon and family. Please let's not use this as a thread to bash a town most of us know nothing about. Sure, it has some very bad schools like most cities its size but it has some very good ones too. Let's not make this a bashing thread.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Love Fest! When are we all meeting to hold hands and sing? image

I think that you're making a terrible decision. image

Family is overrated. image

Best wishes and I'll look forward to your return!

• Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Hey my friend, all the best to you and your family. Looking forward to when you're back in the coin biz.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Poorguy,

Always enjoyed your posts, photos and wit......hope to see you back here soon, wish you and your family the best of the best !......

Eric
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Poorguy, check your PM's... sent you something I thought you might like...

And do keep active here... always enjoy your posts.

MJ
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    Garland is a weird city, 1/2 is higher end middle class, good school, little crime. The other 1/2 is a place where you lock your doors, dare not to drive through at night and the schools are MS-13 and I don't mean Middle School-13, I mean MS-13.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes and good luck.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    Best of luck in your move, may it all go smoothly. Sounds like a wonderful decision for all the right reasons.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent decision and moving south is better than any other part of the country for what your after.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck.

It used to just be a few schools here and there that kids were taught to fail but it just keeps spreading.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I made a very similar descision to move home after 10 years in the military. I know what your going through buddy. Keep the faith and you will do just fine!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭✭
    Best Wishes to you and your family going forward. You will be welcomed back with open arms just as soon as you can make it back!

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Best of luck!

Do you remember this piece?

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandon,

I've only dealt with you once, but you are responsive, charismatic, and seem to sincerely care about your customers.

I wish you much luck in your new situation. Looking forward to eventually being a customer of yours again.

-AJ
  • Options
    ckrakowskickrakowski Posts: 157 ✭✭
    sound like they should get second jobs instead of moving. and i doubt she has tears in her eyes when she leaves in the morning. most likely these people are runnig away from something. i find the whole story off something is not sitting right with me. so insted of staying with a job they are running and have no job wow what a shocker.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>sound like they should get second jobs instead of moving. and i doubt she has tears in her eyes when she leaves in the morning. most likely these people are runnig away from something. i find the whole story off something is not sitting right with me. so insted of staying with a job they are running and have no job wow what a shocker. >>

Nice. Good to know you're on top of things here. image

edited to add... just so there's no confusion, your post was one of the most inconsiderate posts I've read on this board since I've been here.
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317

<< <i>sound like they should get second jobs instead of moving. and i doubt she has tears in her eyes when she leaves in the morning. most likely these people are runnig away from something. i find the whole story off something is not sitting right with me. so insted of staying with a job they are running and have no job wow what a shocker. >>

That is ok. I'm sure you may not get my motives for this big change in my family's life. Until you have lived in a sanctuary of a small town surrounded by family and moved to a large urban area, I understand that you simply cannot fathom the differences in the way of life. Sure, we have a mortgage and bills like everyone else that we have covered since we have been here. But when paying the bills and having some foldin' money left over result in your wife teach at a school that makes her feel unsafe (reports were made), and you have to wipe away the graffiti spread on her vehicle nearly everyday when she comes home, is it really worth it? Especially when she deserves to be home with our new baby after spending 3 months in the hospital and nearly died from HELLP syndrome (google it). It also insn't like she hasn't applied to more schools. Dallas/Ft. Worth have let go thousands of teachers due to overbudgeting thus saturating the market for teachers in this metroplex. There are wayyy to many teachers and wayyy too few available positions. So, yes. I have watched my wife leave the house with glazed eyes and a halfhearted smile on TOO many occasions to let this continue. So, before you begin assuming you know everying, know that I don't bulls****. Many people on these boards can attest to this.

I do remember that buffalo. Beautiful piece.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Say hi to the guys at Duck Dynasty for me.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

You only live once....
    Why waste your life in someplace you hate?
    A second job??? I did that for YEARS... it wasn't all it was cracked up to be... And almost cracked up my family!
    It kept food on the table and a roof over our heads but that was IT!
    Brandon is moving on and out of a bad situation and there's nothing wrong with that on my book..

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file