Home U.S. Coin Forum

It has been a good run....Goodbye for now.

As I compose this I am filled with a mixed bag of emotions, most of them wonderful. After much thought and reflection my wife and I decided that moving back to our sleepy little hometown in rural Louisiana would be best for our family. With our new baby daughter who is now a touch over nine months old, two full time working parents cannot give the time deserved for a daughter so precious to us. This and along with my wife unable to find a teaching position in anything other than schools where she simply does not feel safe and the countless hours of hard work go unappreciated by the caliber of students she has to endure on a daily basis. Watching my wife leave for work with tears in her eyes is simply not acceptable to me. Regardless of what anyone thinks, some coin dealers do not make enough money to support a family of five with a mortgage and a new baby on a single income to allow my wife to stay home and raise Stella. So, swallowing my pride and selling our house with a big chunk of our belongings and moving back to our hometown was not an easy decision to make but a neccissary one so that I can give my kids and wife the life they deserve. I will also be stepping down from my position at Jhon E. Cash since it would be unfair to put a burden on my, as of yesterday, former employer to operate at such a long distance.

I have always done what is best for my family and I have watched others who, due to pride, would never consider moving back to their hometown. The situation they were in deteriorated into a broken home, and in some cases, even far worse things. Pride was the very first sin according to the bible and its temptations are strong. Some may feel, even myself at times, that these actions I am taking are a sign of defeat. I have since come to realize that it is simply a step in the rigt direction with the only obstacle being my own pride.

If you have ever been to rural Louisiana, you will realize that it is a completely different world from urban areas. Life moves at a pace that allows you to take pleasure in the small things in life. That is where I want my family to grow. Both my wife and I have a combine 60+ relatives that are very close in that small community. It makes a diference every day when you go around town running errands and everybody knows everybody and you are always greeted with a smile. People down there may not have much, but what they have is cherished. With both sets of grandparents living only a few blocks away from each other, I know my kids will be showered with all the love and attention that they deserve and in turn they deserve to be close in the lives of their grandkids just as my wife and I were raised.

So, in conclusion, I will be away for awhile during the move and transition.....but you can bet your last pair of pants that I will be back by the end of the year. In the meantime, I will continue representing clients for auctions and will bring back my coin photography services. Any business i can get from photography until mid-june is greatly appreciated. I say until mid-june because I have other plans for the summer to make money through august. A certain board member here whom I consider a very close friend has offered me a great opportunity. When I return to coins full-time, however, I already have a financial backer whom I have been wanting to go into business with for years will allow me to resume with my coin dealings.

As for my relationship with Jhon, we are still good friends and I am helping him out to move some of the coins still in inventory and with some website modifications in relation to my familys decision to move. It it the perfect definition of an amicable departure from our business dealings together.

It has ben quite a wild ride for my family and I since I got in the coin business. Alot of memories, both good and not so good but every twisted path has brought me to this singularity in my life and I wouldnt have changed a thing about it.

So, in the meantime, I wish everyone well and I am here if you need advice or just wish to chat. My phone number will be the same but please use my temporary email I have set up of cajunpoorguy@gmail.com for email contact.
Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com

Comments

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Best wishes although moving back to your hometown probably won't allow total escape of paying rent or mortgage.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like the right decision for the things that SHOULD come first in your life Brandon.

I wish you and yours much success, and a smooth transition.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes on an easy move....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandon you are one of my favorites.

Good luck on your BIG move and I totally understand. I've made a similar move albeit it on a different scale for family reasons. I do still miss NYC truth be told but it was the correct decision.

FYI- I've been to just about every hamlet in Louisiana in the 80's. I'm guessing it hasn't changed muchimage. Someone once said to me about an hour outside of Acadiana, "You ain't from around these parts, are you?" In Cajun.

I look forward to your return full time.

Again, BEST WISHES.............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    I don't know you but after reading that I feel like I do. You sound like a great man with a wonderful family and I wish you all the best!

We're not going anywhere here image

Good luck!
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    image Your a stand up guy, good luck with the move.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Good luck and best wishes!!!
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for you and your family! It is good to have a plan...even more, it sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck and we look forward to a strong return later in the year!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • WestySteveWestySteve Posts: 567 ✭✭✭
    I can relate. I live in a small town. I never left, and that's like committing career suicide. I truly feel I'd have a bigger bank account if I did leave. But my kids are safe. I once left the garage door open for a weekend and nothing happened. People in their cars wave me in and strangers say "Hello". I have many of my friends from highschool and college to do things with and I'm so grateful that one of them who moved off to the big city did come back to our town so we can continue our friendship. If wanting that kind of life causes embarrasssment for you among your friends, then you need to re-evaluate who you hang out with. Sounds like you're making the right decision.

steve
  • coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the best to you, Brandon. Hope to see you back soon.
  • CalebCaleb Posts: 739
    It doesn't sound like "defeat" to me, just "re grouping".

Are the school systems any better in LA then where you are now?
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    best of luck is best made...image
    sounds like you are creating the best in your decision here too
    peace my brother
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭
    Best of Luck image Everything will be alright

www.brunkauctions.com

• poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317

<< <i>It doesn't sound like "defeat" to me, just "re grouping".

Are the school systems any better in LA then where you are now? >>

Yes, my wife currently teaches in one of the worst areas of Garland, tx. If you have ever watched the movie Zombieland, at the beginning, the narration voices over an image zooming into a crusty ganged up gas station with the line. "If you think this is what a post apocalyptic America looks like, its just Garland". schools in Louisiana have smaller classes and most teachers know the parents of the students they are teaching well. When stella gets older, my wife plans to continue teaching, except enjoying it this time.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes and Godspeed.
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck on your endeavors. Raising a family is the single most important thing you can do. It has been said that no amount of success in business can make up for failure in the home. I'm sure we'll see you around.

Best wishes,

Wes Chormicle
    Utahcoin
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know how to find me, Brandon. I'm on your side. image
  • mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Hey, and on top of everything the food is going to be better where you're headed.

Good luck image

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fortune favors the bold...and the smart. I think your decision is both.

All the best to you and your family.
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Brandon. I know we will see you back soon.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a man will always put his family first
    LCoopie = Les
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Brandon.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Best wishes image
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Similar move for similar reasons 10 years back...no regrets whatsoever !
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Brandon, you have your priorities in the right place.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely a great decision. Family first. We were living/working in Colorado (not a bad place for sure) when
    my Daughter-in-law informed us she was pregnant with our first grandchild. I became a basket case as they
    were in Las Vegas (where we raised them, but we moved away). Work suffered and my wife just didn't see
    that I was just plain miserable thinking I would not be there for the grand children.
    We moved ASAP. Didn't make it for the birth but was here a week later and never regretted making that move.
    Son and Daughter and their spouses are here and so are our three, soon to be four, grand kids. Love every
    minute of being with them. Spoil, in the right way, the heck out of them too!

Your move is RIGHT in sooo many ways. Good for you Brandon.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    You understand the concept of WIN. What's Important Now! Family always over business. You'll win and so will your family. No defeat there. Best wishes. Looking forward to seeing you back later in the year.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes to you and the family, Brandon. Look forward to you posting once y'all are settled in.
  • fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Best of luck. I feel for your wife, I am a teacher of 33 years and NO job is worth crying over. Some of the kids can get to you that way (or the administrators). I hope she finds a position where she is in charge...she will love it.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Best of luck to you Brandon and may God go with you and your family on this adjustment in your life.
    Will see you upon your return.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My filmmaker daughter is leaving Los Angeles and resettling in Slidell, LA next week. Will meet her there to move her in. Glad to see her leaving the rat race for a more peaceful life. Best of luck to you in your move. Whoever said "you can never go home" evidently never tried it.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My filmmaker daughter is leaving Los Angeles and resettling in Slidell, LA next week. Will meet her there to move her in. Glad to see her leaving the rat race for a more peaceful life. Best of luck to you in your move. Whoever said "you can never go home" evidently never tried it. >>

C'mon it gets pretty crazy on gause some nights! image

Or at least it did in the '90s!

(I've been gone for a loooong time, but the old man still lives in Eden Isles)
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Good level head. I've watched many professionals work long hours to move up in management, make a lot of money, buy a lot of fancy houses and cars, only to see their kids turn to drugs and/or crime from lack of attention. One manager I worked with for years finally went golfing with me one day. He told me about his 30ish son living with him. He said his son can't really work because in his teens and 20s he got into drugs and moved from woman to woman doing drugs and got each of them pregnant. Now 5 or 6 women have paternity claims for support that automatically garnish his wages when he works, taking several thousand $ per month. He can't find a job that pays more then the claims.

I bumped into a woman I dated briefly after my divorce 5 years ago at work the other day. She asked about my kids and I told her they were great. Perhaps I was a bit too enthusiastic because when I asked about her son who was perhaps 12 last I saw him, she replied that he is in drug rehab. She works long hours to make overtime pay to ensure that she has money to pay for rehab, I guess.

Before my kids were born, I would work long hours and do quite a bit of business travel. Since my son was born 11 yrs ago, I have declined EVERY business trip I have been offered or asked to go on. I have worked one period of overtime while I was married that was supposed to be 6 months and turned out to be 18 and that was a mistake. I have declined all overtime since then. I have declined to interview for countless promotions which I knew would require working more hours. My annual salary is lower than it would be but my time with the kids is priceless. And they're turning out quite well--the usual result when they get the full attention of their parent(s).

So keep focused on your family and you'll be much happier in the long run. Good job.

---Jerry
  • uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Best wishes fellow coon-ass! image

Maybe we can get together for a soda water sometime later this year when your settled in.

Doug in Lafayette
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Brandon. I live in Texas but am about 10 miles from the Louisiana border. There is nothing wrong with Cajun Country!
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Laissez les bons temps rouler...

I never knew what it really meant until I met my wife 42 years ago in South Louisiana. They live it!

Good luck
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for you. Sounds like a win/win situation for you and your family. Being from a small area
    myself, I live in the house I was born in(64 years ago). Great to be back and I wouldn't have
    it any other way.
    Congratulations.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the right decision Brandon. Join us again soon when you can.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with the move, Brandon. image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too have never met you though I've learned from and appreciated your posts here. In reading your story and your thought processes, i have nothing but praise for what you're doing. There's something to be said for quality of life and money doesn't buy the most important things. You've figured that out early and you can be thankful for that. Years from now, regardless of what may happen, you'll be able to look back and know that you did everything you could for your family.... And that's A LOT better than the knowledge that you didn't put them first..

It sounds like you're making a good move and that the quakity of your and your family's life will improve significantly.
    You've got guts to be doing what your doing. It's not defeat, it's strategically positioning yourself and your loved ones for success!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭
    Familia es todo.

Best of luck Brandon!
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck with everything Brandon... Your character shines bright, my good friend...
    Glad to hear that you and Jhon will remain friends... It`s been a pleasure dealing with you both...
    I know you will have a very bright future and look forward to chasing the Monsters with you for many years...

ABimage
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you've made a wise decision. God bless, keep, and prosper you and your family.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish you the best.

Took early retirement from the U.S. Navy to take care of family issues so I've been there.
  • Its all about the kids. Nice story and good luck ! image
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Wishing you all the best in your transition, Brandon. You're a good dude. I can't see any way to view your decision as a sign of defeat.

Looking forward to hearing about your next step when the time is right.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck to you and the family Brandon from another small town boy.image

Keep us posted.

Mike
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck Brandon to you and your family -

• Best of luck. I hope that it all works out better than you hope, or even dream.

merse

• JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well played sir....good luck
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file