Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Not only unsolicited emails but now unsolicited calls from Moderncoinmart

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else?

Had a spam email from them a few weeks ago, another email trying to sell me stuff today (not a market report or an inventory list...very pointedly trying to sell a couple certain things, from a person there I've never dealt with), and also a phone call from them.

I didn't answer the call, but just looked up the number. MCM.

Unless I have a want list with someone, or have dealt directly with someone, my needs/wants are so specific that anything else is a spam. I'll accept inventory or new products lists in email, but I do think specific items in an email that are "hype" products, are spam.

Email header:
"Under 200 Coins Left!!! Don't miss out: MCM Account "

Then, this:
"Now, for 2018, you can secure Saint Gaudens’ original vision struck for the VERY FIRST TIME as an Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof! Check this out….

Saint Gaudens’ Winged Liberty Returns…Like Never Before!!!"
(Super large fonts were used)

And, I guess, this line was meant to impress and immediately sell....
"In my tenure, I’ve NEVER EVEN SEEN an Ultra High Relief AND Reverse Proof TOGETHER…"

This keeps up, and I will strike my name from their list. I used to like dealing with them occasionally. Selling some hot items to them, buying SAEs and stuff from them....but, I am losing/lost all respect for them, as a numismatist.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used their coupon for $50 off $250 once and now I get emails daily from them. I have meant to unsubscribe but I flagged them as junk mail so they don't bother me anymore. They have called me a few times, I told them to lose my number and get lost after they did twice in one week and that seemed to work.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never dealt with them, but I believe he has a dime I would love to have. Unfortunately it's priced too high for my taste. Good luck with getting the Emails & Calls to stop.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thankfully, (at least in my experience), there seems to be very few coin dealers who abuse their customer lists like this! I've never dealt with MCM....and I think you may have convinced me I don't want to.

Closest I ever came was a national dealer who decided they were going to mail me their monthly list. Problem is, it wasn't wrapped, or masked, so anyone glancing at my mail could guess from it that I was a collector. I don't mind emails of this sort, but US Postal Service....no. An email was enough to get them to stop without complaint....and I would certainly deal with them again.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

For home phones I recommend a CPR call locker. Blocks thousands of known spam #'s and has a large block now button. When they call again hit the button. Feels good.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MorganMan94 said:
    I used their coupon for $50 off $250 once and now I get emails daily from them. I have meant to unsubscribe but I flagged them as junk mail so they don't bother me anymore. They have called me a few times, I told them to lose my number and get lost after they did twice in one week and that seemed to work.

I believe that was govmint.com And they were the worst. They charged customer a total amount upon agreement in check out then let it sit in pending for a few days. Then they would cancel and recharge the customer with a higher amount without any notification. It happened me.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018 3:37PM

@Bochiman said:
    Anyone else?

Does your telephone have a hang up feature?

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like using the Hiya app on my cell phone to block spammers and solicitors. Works great.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always use an old out of service phone number of mine with almost everything on the internet. Most companies can't behave on the web with mass sharing of information so screw'em.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

mcm has some overhead, who knows how many people work for them, but they will need to downsize, modern coins are not as popular as they used to be

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    I always use an old out of service phone number of mine with almost everything on the internet. Most companies can't behave on the web with mass sharing of information so screw'em.

You do know they re-use those?

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Bochiman said:
    Anyone else?

You know, why don't you just put me on ignore as your constant trolling here and on other forums is just stupid.
    Seriously. I know you want attention and you love to troll, but do everyone a favor and skip my posts...you add zero value as is.

Thank you

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    mcm has some overhead, who knows how many people work for them, but they will need to downsize, modern coins are not as popular as they used to be

Maybe they are downsizing, I don't know. This is the 2nd pure spam email from them, and they are each from different people.

Just starting to remind me of a boiler shop. I used to like dealing with them.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@Bochiman said:
    Anyone else?

Get a couple of emails a week.. never called/bought for long time ... goes into spam

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@MorganMan94 said:

I believe that was govmint.com And they were the worst. They charged customer a total amount upon agreement in check out then let it sit in pending for a few days. Then they would cancel and recharge the customer with a higher amount without any notification. It happened me.

Govmint is the parent co. of MCM.

I used govmint $50 off twice, under different email addresses w/o any problems, but have yet to receive, to my knowledge, any phone calls. My phone does not accept robo calls. It rings once just to let me know that the caller was a computer. I don't mind the occasional junk mail... makes for interesting reading.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't get the emails like I used to. Was surprised to have a message on my answering machine from them the other day. If I get another I'll tell them to take my name off their list. That I NEVER respond to unsolicited calls of any kind. That usually works. To bad the new owners are not like the previous owner who was a regular here.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure this is the son of another modern coin dealer.

Doug
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone sounds desperate for sales.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:

@ms70 said:

You do know they re-use those?

Sooner or later. This one has been "not in service" for the past 7 years. I check it occasionally.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had an email from them once and hit 'unsubscribe'....I do not like my email cluttered with spam.... I do my very selective shopping at sites of my choice. I would rather shop at coin shows or shops, but none in my area. And I would not be happy with phone solicitations.... had that happen with one gold purveyor once... well, several times, until I became irate and demanded they stop calling. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@Bochiman said:
    Anyone else?

Is that where the caller threatens to hang up if you don't buy something from them?

• Options
    jafo50jafo50 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Everyone should have what I call a 'dead letter office' email address. Just set up a hotmail or yahoo email address and give that address to a site or people that you really don't want to hear from on a regular basis. For example: You are searching for info on new or used car pricing and you need to leave an email address to get that info. You will get unwanted emails (spam) for months if not years from that inquiry. In this case those emails will go to an address that I don't care about nor do I check on a regular basis. The only requirement is to check that email address periodically to keep it alive. If you forget to check it and it dies just create a new one.

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

i havent gotten one in a while from them. that doesent mean they will start again either.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did they get your email address and your phone number?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    How did they get your email address and your phone number?

How did you get mine?

A transaction.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

When they spam me with emails it's a huge turn off. It makes me a lot less interested in their products. :rage:

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to get calls from govmint all the time asking if I wanted to buy their $100 silver eagles. No thanks.
    The lady would always try to keep me on the line for so long. Very annoying.
    If I want some of your over priced generic stuff I’ll contact you.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next time they call ask them for some free samples and don't take no for an answer. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 8:30PM

@PerryHall said:
    Next time they call ask them for some free samples and don't take no for an answer. :D

Or if you have selective call forwarding, you could selectively forward it to one of those erotic phone services... or forward it to ring the dealer back. >:)

• Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

I can’t find a physical address on their site, anyone else?

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2018 4:40AM

I got a call from Bob at MCM yesterday, one of maybe 3 in the past month. Always wants to sell me some unique and very hard to find overpriced foreign specialties. Next time, I'm going to let him know that I really like colorized coins.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2018 5:56AM

I ordered a few (6) 70 grade 2018 ASE S proofs from them and paid by e-check,,,,six hours later I received a spam email saying that my bank (correct online bank name)" needs more info click here to update your account"....it was from a kent.edu email address...the next day I received another similar email (correct bank name again) from an osu.edu email address

Emailed them with my concerns twice...no response. Decided not to call fearing they would try to sell me some crap..

Order was delivered appropriately by they are off my sellers list now

I should add that i have used e-check many times before (and since) from the same device with no issues.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DMWJR said:
    Pretty sure this is the son of another modern coin dealer.

I think you are thinking of "Monster" not "Modern"

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jafo50 said:
    Everyone should have what I call a 'dead letter office' email address. Just set up a hotmail or yahoo email address and give that address to a site or people that you really don't want to hear from on a regular basis. For example: You are searching for info on new or used car pricing and you need to leave an email address to get that info. You will get unwanted emails (spam) for months if not years from that inquiry. In this case those emails will go to an address that I don't care about nor do I check on a regular basis. The only requirement is to check that email address periodically to keep it alive. If you forget to check it and it dies just create a new one.

Except you can't/shouldn't use that with someone you have a transaction with.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file