Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC PhotoVision

MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 30, 2018 9:52AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just saw this on Instagram, not sure who asked but it appears your wish is granted. Introductory rate of $7.50, wonder what it goes to after?

Comments

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018 10:16AM

Awwww man!! I just got 1 SCD and 2 tokens graded by them. I would have gladly paid for the pics :/
    btw, I kept asking them on instagram, but I would imagine hundreds of others must have asked too.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018 10:31AM

$15 after introductory rate has expired.

$5 more than the TrueView $10 fee
    $10 more than Secure with a Free TrueView.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know about this. Doug told me that for holdered coins, I will need to pay for re-holdering. I have a bunch in the pipeline. All dark side material but will post samples when available.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

@Senator32 said:
    LOL “For years, NGC has taken extraordinary photos of coins prior to encapsulation for its marketing and internal image catalog,” said Rick Montgomery, NGC President - If they had this ability why did they hide it from all of us? I guess they just liked taking horrible photos before even though they could take 'extraordinary photos'. lol

Quality assessment aside, FYI, the Newman coins were all imaged raw by NGC.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

these pics look much better than the ones you get when you do a cert lookup.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler True, but even their paid photo service has been trash for years now. Take a look at this coin that is now in a PCGS holder: https://imgur.com/a/Aud0P . The top image is the Trueview, the second image is the auction image...and the third was the NGC Photo Vision image....I mean wtf did they do? Its hard to make this coin look bad...but NGC nailed it.

I supposed I am happy they joined the party - if it is 5 years late. :)

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

now that pic is stunning

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Todd.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@Senator32 said:
    @EVillageProwler True, but even their paid photo service has been trash for years now. Take a look at this coin that is now in a PCGS holder: https://imgur.com/a/Aud0P . The top image is the Trueview, the second image is the auction image...and the third was the NGC Photo Vision image....I mean wtf did they do? Its hard to make this coin look bad...but NGC nailed it.

I supposed I am happy they joined the party - if it is 5 years late. :)

I haven’t used NGC’s PV service in years. I’m only excited now because they will image raw, just like PCGS with TV.

How old is your NGC PV image? If not raw, if a while ago, then I’ll take a chance and send a few to them for trial. I collect Dark Side and too many of my nice coins are in NGC slabs with the ugly prongs. They really distract from a quality image. I really have little choice.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

And an example more suited for EVP:

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    I use Todd.

bob :)

I use Phil. o:)

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a photo proof of the Eliasberg framed on the wall. NGC can certainly take quality images. Not sure why it took them this long to "follow the leader" with this service. I recall being at the 2005 ANA in San Francisco when PCGS announced their service.

I like the True View service as well, but there are coins that PCGS does not grade that NGC does.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone reading this thread that hasn’t checked out ngc’s Instagram account please do so. The picture quality is off the charts, simply amazing. Competition is always good plus we get to have endless debates on which service has better pictures.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no doubt NGC will deliver great images. With the right equipment and dedicated, capable staff the quality should be very high. It would be foolhardy to enter this business without this in place.

Like PCGS they will be shooting raw coins, which eliminates a lot of the headache that comes from shooting through scuffed slabs or imaging coins tilted in holders. Furthermore, coins in slabs are almost never perfectly centered front-to-back, which means refocusing for each side of the coin. Laborious. Raw is much easier.

I don't know if they'll be good with axial lighting but it is a corner case very rarely needed. It is most often used for holdered coins (typically colorful proofs) to eliminate the glare of light reflected by the slab.

The biggest challenge for NGC will be the same PCGS struggles with. Color. A good image can always be corrected post-processing, but it is time consuming and because of volume both TPG's must move fast.
    Lance.

• Options

I use Todd too, but he can only do so much with the thicker plastic that NGC use, and those maddeningly annoying white prongs that do not go well with anything other than blast white silver coins (which I do not generally see with Anglo-Saxon hammered coins or German Wildman talers).

@blu62vette said:
    And an example more suited for EVP:

I'll take both. Thanks. :)

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe PCGS relies heavily on axial lighting. I'd be surprised if it was used one time in 1,000.

But I really don't know. I'm only speaking from my experience. Maybe others have inside info.
    Lance.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's about time! Now, I wish you could get the pics for $5 like at pcgs.

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

If NGC doesn't get enough business with their "introductory" service, they'll likely terminate it. That's my guess at least.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why was it so hard for NGC to offer this competitively not long after when PCGS rolled out their TV imaging? How many added steps are necessary to do raw coin imaging? Is this a money maker at their introductory price or when that ends?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

bumping an old thread...

Does anyone know how to access the photovision images for a coin on the NGC site? The verification page for the coins do not show the images in a similar manner as PCGS does. Can you access photovision images for coins on the NGC site?

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    bumping an old thread...

Does anyone know how to access the photovision images for a coin on the NGC site? The verification page for the coins do not show the images in a similar manner as PCGS does. Can you access photovision images for coins on the NGC site?

When I had several tokens imaged by ngc they sent me an email stating.......

“Thank you for your recent request for NGC Photo Vision services.
    Please use the following link to access your files. Please do this within 30 days as I will be removing the files at this time. ‘
    Maybe now they have permanent links, would be nice.

• Options

So basically the images are only intended for the submitter and must be saved. They do not store the images on a publicly accessible server.

• Options

Yes, to me it appears so. Every time I have ever looked up a Cert I’ve never seen photo view images.
    I have seen a few good images of the tokens in holders done by them

• Options

Too bad NGC takes such crappy stock photos. I am much more comfortable taking a gamble on a PCGS coin with trueview than and NGC coin with their poor imaging. This seems like a missed opportunity for them to create an imaging database to increase the liquidity of their coins. Oh well.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Too bad NGC takes such crappy stock photos. I am much more comfortable taking a gamble on a PCGS coin with trueview than and NGC coin with their poor imaging. This seems like a missed opportunity for them to create an imaging database to increase the liquidity of their coins. Oh well.

And yet, only a fraction of PCGS coins have TV's to do your evaluation. In general, 98% of the images I see online by whomever don't show the coins as they are in hand. So why all of the angst against NGC?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:

@Boosibri said:

And yet, only a fraction of PCGS coins have TV's to do your evaluation. In general, 98% of the images I see online by whomever don't show the coins as they are in hand. So why all of the angst against NGC?

Best, SH

I wouldn’t call that angst. Just annoyed as I was just hoping I could pull the photovisions for a few coins I have that I know have been imaged, but are inaccessible to me as not the original submitter. Heritage and Stacks seem to have access.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC photo really sucks, NGC grade also sucks so basically buy NGC coin with big discount.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2020 6:10PM

I agree. Perhaps not always with a big discount but I think, by and large, that NGC is more liberal and inaccurate. Maybe I'm biased, having had lots of problems with the guys "ATS" 25 years ago that were never resolved, but I try to be totally objective when it comes to grading.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file