Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Well I could of Cherry Pick a dealer but I told him about it instead.

Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I could not stop thinking about it all weekend so I called him today and asked will he sell it to me, I cant believe I didn't ask in the 1st place. But he did gave me a good deal on my stuff I bought that day as a thank you. So today I ask if I could buy it and he side yes well it was a trade. Over the weekend I picked up 3 GSA $'s for a good price so I ask if he would trade them for that buffalo and he said sure let's do it, I Was like WOW very cool and thank you.

So here it is what do you think?

Hoard the keys.

Comments

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know nothing about buffs. The coin looks nice.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two feathers. Not a variety I care about, but a nice example.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice two-feather, and VERY WHITE!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet, congrats !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

hmmm.. not worth 3 GSA's to me

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice white coin! Nice variety!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018 5:26AM

@Type2 You could "have" cherrypicked the dealer, but you didn't. Good for you. I think that the best thing to do is what you feel is right. But a dealer who missed such an obvious variety (or, for that matter, an unobvious variety) deserves to be cherrypicked. So you get extra ethics kudos (refreshing particularly of late ... don't get me started) because you did what you felt to be the right thing. I have no idea what this variety is worth either, but I agree with @Treashunt that to me it would not be worth three GSAs. I don't follow the Two Feather varieties at all. But I do recognize them!

My 2c. Or 5c!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Two Feather Buff....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why isn't it in a slab? There is probably a reason.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018 7:00AM

dup

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018 7:10AM

Sorry all dealers here!!,
    BUT most dealers(not all) do not deserve such consideration and courtesies as offered by the OP.
    When dealers buy from you, they usually do not tell you they spotted a scarce variety. :'(
    I have personal experience while a few of us were doing a test a couple of years ago with 5 west coast (Canada) dealers about that very same subject. We wanted see who is honest and who is not.
    Only 2 dealers mentioned that 2 of the 5 Silver dollars (1947 ML and 1947 P7-dot) offered for sale where higher priced coins and rather uncommon varieties. They just counted the coins and said: "today we are paying x$ for silver dollars". the 1947 ML is a very obvious and easy recognized Variety of the series.
    And 5 out of 5 dealers did not know how to recognize a scarcer, but well known, variety on a 1871 silver Quarter. the price difference is about 1:150+ depending on grade.

So, the big question is why should a consumer be nice to a seller dealer when said dealer does obviously not know **his own items? he did not recognize the item as superior when he "traded or bought it, so why should he get the benefit when he sells it?
    I have often pointed out to many other **collectors
    about varieties they have. I am sort of the "guy to go to" in our 2 clubs.
    I have even told dealers what varieties I am looking for. usually I draw a blank because they have no idea what I am talking about.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never felt the obligation to tell someone they're selling me something expensive for very little. I'd feel obliged in this case to keep my GSA's. Dealer's fault for not checking his or her inventory.

Has that nickel been polished or cleaned? Doesn't look like a nickel should. From here anyway.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018 7:24AM

YQQ, the answer to your post is that we each have a different set of moral values that guide us, so we each act differently and accordingly. it is hard to know why Type2 did what he did without knowing him personally and understanding the dynamic in place with this particular dealer.

did he do the right thing?? by his standard, yes.
    would I have done the same thing?? probably not, but that doesn't make either of us right/wrong, good/bad or smart/stupid.

the same goes for dealers.

BTW, that is a very nice looking example.

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though the op had no obligation to tell the dealer what he had I don’t think doing so is a bad thing. Sometimes relationships in this hobby are worth more than one cherrypick. Maybe the op wants to create a good relationship with this dealer and that may pay many multiples of what this one coin would have been worth.

• Options

@Insider2 Perhaps I was unclear. Let's review.

@giorgio11 said:
    **But a dealer who missed such an obvious variety (or, for that matter, an unobvious variety) deserves to be cherrypicked. **

>

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find by @Type2 and I commend him for his honesty. I hope the good relationship with his dealer continues.

The last time (not too long ago) I was a nice guy and "clued-in" a dealer to an unmarked scarcer variety and a mis-marked 2x2 (a Fine 1916-S half marked and priced as a 1916-D) on the same visit, he wouldn't even give me a small discount on a group of coins I wanted to purchase. You'd think he would've showed a little bit of appreciation, but no ... not even a thank you. Seriously. I'm not sure I'll be as nice next time.... :/

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:
    @Insider2 Perhaps I was unclear. Let's review.

@giorgio11 said:
    **But a dealer who missed such an obvious variety (or, for that matter, an unobvious variety) deserves to be cherrypicked. **

>

Kind regards,

George

I'm so sorry, I agree with you. My post was directed to the OP!

• Options

Thank you all for looking, 1st I did what I did I saw the book come into the store and I asked if I could make a offer on the book. But it was too weeks after when he gave it to me to look at, Buy then he popped out what he wanted. Now This is the time to pick or buy because you know he does not want the others as much.

I was going to say $1500 for the book or $150 for the one coin but I only saw that one coin that I wanted so he said what's your offer. That's when deep in my gut I felt it and it was not lunch, Now trust me I picked a lot of dealers but this one helps me a lot I buy a lot of stuff every week form him so I gave him a pass this time.

I do see all sides of this trust me this is the 1st dealer I did this for since long beach back in 2005 on 4-1914/13 buffalos that went wrong after I told him. That is when I hit every dealer and gave no mercy till this day.

As for the color of the coin my lighting is off and it my have a old dipping but it does have a gold tone to it though and a lot of luster so it's hard for me to photo it will see.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:

No idea what GSA Morgans are worth but a 2-feather 1915 that grades MS is a 4-figure coin at minimum.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice one!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could anyone post the pic up point for this coin/variety thanks :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    edited May 30, 2018 10:48AM

There are two feathers behind the Indian's head rather than three. The little feather jutting out at the bottom is gone (die polishing, I presume).

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice pick up, i like

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @giorgio11

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Sure thing @1630Boston !

Kind regards,

George

• Options

@OnWithTheHunt said:

@Treashunt said:

No idea what GSA Morgans are worth but a 2-feather 1915 that grades MS is a 4-figure coin at minimum.

@OnWithTheHunt @Treashunt @1630Boston This is interesting ...

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/38433

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Note the missing feather.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

How you handle this says something about you, but also how the dealer handles it says something about him/her as well. In this case it sounds like you both had a mutual level of respect.

I do recall that horror story you told about the four varieties you pointed out to a dealer at a show only to have him pull them from his case. He should have handed you one for free and said "thank you". Your reverse cherry pick was probably the best deal he made all day, and it was not because of anything he did.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018 12:18PM

He did the right thing for his conscience and that's what matter :) whether you agree or not <3 it's your prerogative. From my personal dealing with @Type2 .......he is truly honest kind hearted man. GBU B)
    In the other hand...I may or may not do the right things; it's all depend on several factors :|

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

I commend type2 for his honesty,glad that he feels good about what he had done and it worked well for the both of them

I myself don't think I will ever help a person out that is selling something again, I believe that when you sell something, you should know about what you are selling. I did help a person years ago when the "Speared Bison" nickel varieties were being discovered. I bought a few rolls of the nickels from the person, discovered 7 of the true Speared Bison's in the rolls I bought from her and was excited to had found them, I made the mistake of letting her know that she had a box of rolls that had the Speared Bison's in them. I then made the mistake of thinking that since I told her about them that when I bought a few more rolls from her that she wouldn't have looked through them. Nope, she looked through every rolls that I purchased from her before sending them to me, I think it was 7 rolls, not many rolls because I thought she just might do what she did, look through them before sending them and of course she did and barely said a thank you to me. She found quite a few after I told her and went on to make a lot of money off of them back then.

So yeah after that happened to me, I'm a little less to help a seller out but I don't know, I might do it again.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a nice Buff! Keep putting out the good vibes into the coin pond and they should work their way right back.

• Options

@Azurescens said:
    I've never felt the obligation to tell someone they're selling me something expensive for very little. I'd feel obliged in this case to keep my GSA's. Dealer's fault for not checking his or her inventory.

Has that nickel been polished or cleaned? Doesn't look like a nickel should. From here anyway.

Here is a little better pic, I think I need to reset my camera I think. I would try again but I sent it out already we will see soon.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personal perspective I guess. I have been included in a FB group of dealers and have become acquainted with many of them. Very few old copper folks there and one purchased an old time large cent collection which he started listing for sale. One coin was incorrectly attributed by him as a common S-22 variety of 1794 but even with low res images was easily identifiable by quick glance as a scarce S-66. I notified the seller after the auction closed, who notified the buyer, who then contacted me, and after full disclosure we negotiated a price I could live with; both buyer and seller where just glad to quickly turn the coin.

The coin is a high detail example with surface "challenges" but quite acceptable for the variety (the condition census only goes to a VF25 example) and is now recorded in the CC as number 10. I have sent it to PCGS for certification and better images.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller Beware! CherryPicking is part of (the best part) collecting. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file