Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New large cent blazer for my collection - 1820

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couldn't resist this one from the latest Legend auction, the luster really screams in hand and it's graded 65 BN. Also has the green sticker. That well known die crack for this date/variety really stands out here.

Comments

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really love this variety.
    That is a great one. Congrats.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW she is so unique <3

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin has a lot of character. Love the die break, like bullseye toning on steroids.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome coin!!!!!

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Couldn't resist this one from the latest Legend auction, the luster really screams in hand and it's graded 65 BN. Also has the green sticker. That well known die crack for this date/variety really stands out here.

That's a great-looking example of the N-13 variety! I used to own Gene Gardner's example of the date which I won in a Heritage auction (yes, he owned lots of nice coins in series other than Seated Liberty). It was graded 64BN NGC. Here it is for comparison. I like the color but the blazing luster on the OP's coin @ElmerFusterpuck is breathtaking!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply gorg

Congrats!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    I always liked this year with the radial die cracks. My friend (who posts here) has a RD example. Most came from the same hoard, right?

Gorgeous specimen, I dig the pinks and blues dancing in the luster around the devices.

Yes, I believe that most of the surviving 1816 N-2, 1817 N-14, 1818 N-10, 1819 N-8 and N-9 (Small Date) and 1820 N-13 (Large Date) all came from the same find, the Randall Hoard, discovered around 1868.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2018 10:03AM

A great example of a Randall Hoard coin, and much less spotted than normal. I also much prefer that coin in p65/cac than n66, as they are oftentimes found.

Congrats on the NEWP.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2018 11:28AM

Meh...if you like that sort of thing...and I do!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful, chocolate gem!! Congrats!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

E'en this cheapScot would buy that coin!

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding! I love it!

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like it. I used to own one of these in the same grade for many years. This and the 1818 are the type coins of the series, and are most affordable. It also appreciated in value nicely between when I bought it and sold it (upgraded to an 1838 in 5 RB). This series at this grade gets very pricey in RB.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats a real nice pick up , congrats :)

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

This post times well with my new found love for old copper with nice luster. Beauty! Exactly what I'll be on the hunt for soon enough

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Randall Hoard, is that the one that was found under a train station floorboard or something??

• Options
    earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

Magnificent, and typically Legend.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet as!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a superb example of early US coinage. Wow . . to think you can own something like that . . .that is basically 'as minted' . . . . and think of the history (no one would cross the Oregon Trail for another 26 years or so). These cents were the true workhorses of our economy . . . imagine how happy a kid would be walking into a general store with a shiny new 'penny' in anticipation of some 'penny candy'?

You can say that the silver coinage yet to come designated our country as "on the map" . . .but these big cents just radiated solid and functional economy . . . . and it is no wonder so many delve into the little idiosyncracies of die and variety. I hold a 'Fine' example of any cent from 1825-1840 . . .and I just wonder about our country, where it has been, what stories it could tell . . .

Nice coin!

Drunner

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    the Randall Hoard, is that the one that was found under a train station floorboard or something??

Yup. They were in a wooden keg from what I remember reading many years ago.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep wanting to pull the trigger on a large cent just like yours. PCGS graded 65BN with radial die crack. You did great there!

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the early copper!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful large cent....such detail.....and great pictures as well. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. That's a piece from the famed Randall Hoard, correct?

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a luster bomb! Wonderful.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice it did not need a sticker but a + I guess.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file